Good wheel for casual racer

United States
United States
Hey everyone,

Ive tried pouring over threads here and youtube and its left me more befuddled and with more questions than answers or i come across old information.

First off I am NOT a sim driver. I am a casual driver racing for fun on my PS5 and to enjoy driving. Im not going to invest thousands into a setup. Would I love a $1000+ wheel? Of course IF it gave me an advantage or alot better experience. However its not an option atm. Im an adult so those narrow seats of most setups dont work for me just like most gaming chairs dont fit me. I play GT7 because Im enjoying a change of pace from other games. Ive done various racing games through the years with various wheels, from the microsoft sidewinder to their ff wheel to the logitech g series.

Ive been using a controller since i started GT7 in December. I was doing some quick laps at daytona to get my daily in before the reset. It really highlighted the shortcomings of the controller as I couldnt hold a straight line through the corners with my 787B. In previous games with a wheel i had no problems with holding a straight line. Not to mention struggling with getting gold on various track experiences. I cant get the hang of using manual transmission with a controller. I thought about the playstation edge controller with the paddles underneath but then im back to the same poor steering inputs of the controller.

So im looking for a wheel and pedal setup under $500. I do have a stand that i used with my g920 on xbox that lets me sit in my recliner. I want something thats going to be reliable and accurate. Ideally id like to be able to use the left pedal as the brake as it stresses my hips to use a middle brake pedal thats so close to the throttle. I dont mind switching it over especially if I do a brake upgrade. I really dont expect to use or need a clutch as I use paddle shifters.

So are the thrustmasters still dealing with the overheating issues that ive read so much about? I'm concerned with some of the reliability issues ive heard about them. If you are spending hundreds of dollars on a setup i wouldnt expect any sort of reliability, especially overheating issues.

Are the adapters like Brook Ras1ution 2 viable or are they gimmicky and I should stick with console specific wheels?

Are the G29/g923 still the go to option if you can find it less than msrp?

What are some of the upgrades for pedals that people have liked the most? Ive seen some videos of a true force mod and another that was an actual load cell.

Thanks for the help and advice.

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

Ive tried pouring over threads here and youtube and its left me more befuddled and with more questions than answers or i come across old information.

First off I am NOT a sim driver. I am a casual driver racing for fun on my PS5 and to enjoy driving. Im not going to invest thousands into a setup. Would I love a $1000+ wheel? Of course IF it gave me an advantage or alot better experience. However its not an option atm. Im an adult so those narrow seats of most setups dont work for me just like most gaming chairs dont fit me. I play GT7 because Im enjoying a change of pace from other games. Ive done various racing games through the years with various wheels, from the microsoft sidewinder to their ff wheel to the logitech g series.

Ive been using a controller since i started GT7 in December. I was doing some quick laps at daytona to get my daily in before the reset. It really highlighted the shortcomings of the controller as I couldnt hold a straight line through the corners with my 787B. In previous games with a wheel i had no problems with holding a straight line. Not to mention struggling with getting gold on various track experiences. I cant get the hang of using manual transmission with a controller. I thought about the playstation edge controller with the paddles underneath but then im back to the same poor steering inputs of the controller.

So im looking for a wheel and pedal setup under $500. I do have a stand that i used with my g920 on xbox that lets me sit in my recliner. I want something thats going to be reliable and accurate. Ideally id like to be able to use the left pedal as the brake as it stresses my hips to use a middle brake pedal thats so close to the throttle. I dont mind switching it over especially if I do a brake upgrade. I really dont expect to use or need a clutch as I use paddle shifters.

So are the thrustmasters still dealing with the overheating issues that ive read so much about? I'm concerned with some of the reliability issues ive heard about them. If you are spending hundreds of dollars on a setup i wouldnt expect any sort of reliability, especially overheating issues.

Are the adapters like Brook Ras1ution 2 viable or are they gimmicky and I should stick with console specific wheels?

Are the G29/g923 still the go to option if you can find it less than msrp?

What are some of the upgrades for pedals that people have liked the most? Ive seen some videos of a true force mod and another that was an actual load cell.

Thanks for the help and advice.
I think you are under the assumption that a wheel will magically resolve any issues with your driving and make you inherently faster.
It wont. The whole game is perfectly competitvely viable with controller, even up to A+ (and top split) levels.

If you're having trouble with golding CE's or making turns, your driving technique is the issue, not the controller. And spending $500 on a wheel won't suddenly improve your technique.

I think you are under the assumption that a wheel will magically resolve any issues with your driving and make you inherently faster.
It wont. The whole game is perfectly competitvely viable with controller, even up to A+ (and top split) levels.

If you're having trouble with golding CE's or making turns, your driving technique is the issue, not the controller. And spending $500 on a wheel won't suddenly improve your technique.
A wheel completely helped the way I drive. It's very counterintuitive for me to drive with a controller. I run heavy equipment for a living and drive pretty big stuff. I quickly got significantly better with a wheel than I ever thought I could in any capacity.

Actually I know for a fact that it will help me be faster because it did in the past with other games as i have more control and can use the paddle shifters easily allowing me to use a manual transmission. When I raced other games before I always used manual transmission. However so far on the controller I cant. Ive tried and tried and only get frustrated by it. I cant get my hands to be doing everything at once, especially when im trying to find and hit braking points, getting off the throttle, on the brakes and downshifting all at the same time. Ive done it in other games easier with a wheel as it was more natural to regular driving.

Am I expecting it to be something magical? of course not. However I know from past experiences that ill be able to drive more naturally and my times will drop.

I do appreciate the feedback so far everyone. Please keep it up.

Also why is everyone wanting stronger and stronger force feedback? Many say that they can feel the car more and know the limits.

When I used a wheel in other games, I had to turn down the feedback as I found that i was often fighting the wheel and I felt I had more control with it turned down a bit. I didnt mind the shaking or rumbling but the feedback of it fighting my inputs and pulling the wheel out of my hands slowed me down and was counter intuitive. I dunno if it was the wheel or the other games with a poor modeling for force feedback.

Also why is everyone wanting stronger and stronger force feedback?
Realism/immersion. Once you get a direct drive wheel, it's the closest you'll ever get to racing a real car without stepping in one. And since the forces are truly strong in those things, it makes for excellent exercise too.

Realism/immersion. Once you get a direct drive wheel, it's the closest you'll ever get to racing a real car without stepping in one. And since the forces are truly strong in those things, it makes for excellent exercise too.
thank you I do appreciate it.

I know when I had my g27 i cranked it down so it wouldnt yank the wheel out of my hand or fight me. I jsut wanted good feel and some resistance but not need to be football player strong to overcome it.

Id love to adjust various feedbacks separately like turn down wheel turn force while keeping others maxed.

I'm considering a Ras1ution 2 adapter to see if I can get my G920 to work with my PS5. If it does, then it would free up money for a pedal mod.

Anyone have any experience with the adapter or something else?

thank you I do appreciate it.

I know when I had my g27 i cranked it down so it wouldnt yank the wheel out of my hand or fight me. I jsut wanted good feel and some resistance but not need to be football player strong to overcome it.

Id love to adjust various feedbacks separately like turn down wheel turn force while keeping others maxed.
If the G27 was too strong for you then a DD wheel would honestly be a waste of money. Just get a G29. (What happened to the G27...?)

I never even considered playing GT, from back at GT5, with anything but a wheel. Started GT5 with a Logitech DFGT, after a year or so, made the jump to the G27 and then GT6. Didn't play during GTSport at all and during the extended break from GT a friend came over and I let him play GT6 with the 27 and the encoder ring snapped . Last Christmas I picked up a PS5, GT7 and a G29. Couple months later nabbed a PSVR2. Been lusting after that G-Pro wheel Logitech makes but the price for it and the pedal set, and if they ever offer a shifter, will be almost as much or more than the entire kit I already have for GT7. Pretty sure, bang for buck the G29 will fill your needs and desires for more comfortable control. You'll need some kind of stand for it and unless you can find one that doesn't have a bar up between your legs, I would recommend a Wheel Stand Pro. If they're still making them anyway. You can't have mine. 😉 Looks like they are still in biz and have made some addons/improvements to the product line.

I never even considered playing GT, from back at GT5, with anything but a wheel. Started GT5 with a Logitech DFGT, after a year or so, made the jump to the G27 and then GT6. Didn't play during GTSport at all and during the extended break from GT a friend came over and I let him play GT6 with the 27 and the encoder ring snapped . Last Christmas I picked up a PS5, GT7 and a G29. Couple months later nabbed a PSVR2. Been lusting after that G-Pro wheel Logitech makes but the price for it and the pedal set, and if they ever offer a shifter, will be almost as much or more than the entire kit I already have for GT7. Pretty sure, bang for buck the G29 will fill your needs and desires for more comfortable control. You'll need some kind of stand for it and unless you can find one that doesn't have a bar up between your legs, I would recommend a Wheel Stand Pro. If they're still making them anyway. You can't have mine. 😉 Looks like they are still in biz and have made some addons/improvements to the product line.
Nice looking stand.

GT7 is my first foray into the series. I'd played various games before on pc and xbox. Iracing was ok but frustrating how they would handle things. Then the intentional wreckers or unintentional ones. id often hang back till the carnage was over then move up.

I have this stand that works decently. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077PZKNDH/?tag=gtplanet-20 I got it so I could run f1 on the xbox with my g920. However gt7 has been my main racing game for the last month and getting tired of being limited by the controller. I'll put the wheel on it.

I do want a psvr2. Need the funds for it though. However it looks wonderful overall. I just wish we werent limited to in car view with it. It would be better than using a screen but I often played racing or flight games with the cockpit off.

Last edited:
I would NOT agree with many people who speak in favor of Logitech, but that is more a matter of taste.The Logitechs are simply too loud for me to operate due to the pure gear drive.I would look for good deals and then buy a T300 RS or a T248. The biggest advantage is the possibility of being able to buy one of the best pedal sets available on the market (T-LCM) if necessary. Logitech doesn't even offer a pedal set like this as an option for any money.The T248 is certainly a little weaker than the G29/G923, but the pedals included here are already significantly better than the Logitech pedals.The T300 is at least on par with the Logitech, some even see it ahead of the G29/923... and with the T300 you can even use a different steering wheel as an option.I've been using Thrustmaster steering wheels for some time and have never had any problems with overheating. I wouldn't believe everything that's being spread around on the internet.

I like the smoothness of the T300, there is a bit of the slip angle roll on the limit -- if you don not have the FFB turned up where there is clipping. Plus, as mentioned already above, the pedals make the most difference...especially if you are playing casually, on a casual budget.

I like the smoothness of the T300, there is a bit of the slip angle roll on the limit -- if you don not have the FFB turned up where there is clipping. Plus, as mentioned already above, the pedals make the most difference...especially if you are playing casually, on a casual budget.
thank you.

So no problems with the fan or overheating? when doing my research I saw soo many reports of that previously that it was a concern.

So no problems with the fan or overheating?
Not with me, and I've had 3 of their products -- T150, t300 and TGT. I've always had the FFB level to 5 or less in GT and yes, there are occasions where the fan does kick in and stays on. But this is on long runs without breaks -- like a 40min race -- and I've never had any fading/issues.

Ambient temps will affect overheating issues dramatically, so if you live in Arizona, then plan accordingly and get the right gear. The wheel is like any machine, if you abuse it, it will seize...But like others have mentioned, the pedals are the key.

Logitech doesn't even offer a pedal set like this as an option for any money.
That used to be the case. You can now buy the Logitech G Racing Adapter that allows you to upgrade to the Logitech Pro Racing load cell pedals on a G29/G923. But if you're spending that much to upgrade pedals you might as well go all in and get yourself a serious wheel.

Not with me, and I've had 3 of their products -- T150, t300 and TGT. I've always had the FFB level to 5 or less in GT and yes, there are occasions where the fan does kick in and stays on. But this is on long runs without breaks -- like a 40min race -- and I've never had any fading/issues.

Ambient temps will affect overheating issues dramatically, so if you live in Arizona, then plan accordingly and get the right gear. The wheel is like any machine, if you abuse it, it will seize...But like others have mentioned, the pedals are the key.
I appreciate the reply.

My gaming areas tend to stay at 70 degrees and below as I cannot stand being hot, especially when gaming. Over 70 is hot to me. I had to move my gaming area because the back room didnt get the ac to it as well (or the rest of the house would be cool, but the back room was over 80 degrees)

Anything over 12nm isn’t realism, it’s overkill, real cars don’t have that much force. Driver 61 did a video on it, and he’s driven just about everything up to and including an F1 car IRL. Most aliens in this game run 3-4 torque max, any more and you’re just wasting energy just holding onto the wheel, instead of focusing on driving.

I was wrong, it was Morad, not Driver61. He says his real Merc GT3 car is around 12nm, not 20-25nm.

Last edited:
So, you're saying direct drives aren't the closest you'll get to a real car? :lol:
Thats CLEARLY not what hes saying and please dont put words into peoples mouths.

Hes CLEARLY saying that using forces above 12nm isnt realistic.

Ive heard many here and elsewhere talk about how high they crank the forces and its always baffled me why they would do that nad have to fight the wheel so much. Surely they can get good feel without that?

So, you're saying direct drives aren't the closest you'll get to a real car? :lol:
No, I’m saying people who think you need 15+ NM for it to be “realistic”, are wrong. I don’t really care one way or the other about DD or Belt driven. DD’s are capable of greater fine details, but if you’re playing GT, that’s being wasted anyways. Since GT’s FFB isn’t very detailed.

I have no issues at all with the G29 pedals. Actually find them to be surprisingly well-constructed and they work very smoothly afaic. Obviously, there's better stuff out there...but for casual drivers in GT7 I think they do the job just fine. As far as noise and NMs, yeah...you have to recogonize the limits of what you're dealing with. Don't overpower the thing. I run 4 for torque and 3 for sensitivity. There's a few cars that I find 4 is even a little too high. At those settings noise isn't much of an issue at all. I'm not a real race car driver, and I'm not looking for an arm and pec workout. What I get from the G29 feels pretty similar to the sort of resistance I feel in my actual car that I drive every day (if I drive a similar car in the game that is) so that's good enough for me. When I see someone recommend 10/10 settings for the G29 I facepalm lol...

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back