Anybody ever experience performance stutters?

I thought it might help coming from someone that is very sensitive to stutters and frame time issues ( G-sync monitor, can see some micro-stutter at 100fps with SLI 980's and hated AMD until they fixed their issues) and I haven't seen it drop frames or stutter very often. It does happen but not nearly as frequently as you are experiencing.

Okay then, how frequently do you experience stutters on any given track? Is it usually the same spot or random?

And, is it more noticeable on some tracks while hardly noticeable on others? I suppose, to some extent, that would depend how fast you're going on the straights or how quickly the screen is panning in either direction when you take a sharp corner.

Okay then, how frequently do you experience stutters on any given track? Is it usually the same spot or random?

And, is it more noticeable on some tracks while hardly noticeable on others? I suppose, to some extent, that would depend how fast you're going on the straights or how quickly the screen is panning in either direction when you take a sharp corner.

Its rare enough not to bug me. IIRC some tracks seem to have a bit of "hitching" in roughly the same spots but I can't remember which ones or where. Frame time issues would definitely be more noticeable when the screen is panning (just like it wouldn't be noticeable at all if nothing on the screen was moving). Other than that I don't really have anything helpful, Just that it's not a few times a minute. I'm pretty picky about that stuff and confident I would have noticed.

Good luck figuring it out, If you have a particular section or track you want me to test let me know and I'll fire it up.

Its rare enough not to bug me. IIRC some tracks seem to have a bit of "hitching" in roughly the same spots but I can't remember which ones or where. Frame time issues would definitely be more noticeable when the screen is panning (just like it wouldn't be noticeable at all if nothing on the screen was moving). Other than that I don't really have anything helpful, Just that it's not a few times a minute. I'm pretty picky about that stuff and confident I would have noticed.

Good luck figuring it out, If you have a particular section or track you want me to test let me know and I'll fire it up.

Hmm, yeah that sounds about right. It is quite random and usually doesn't happen on the same spot twice.

As for frequency, on the longer tracks like The Nurb and Lemans, definitely more than once. On the regular tracks maybe once or twice, that's it.

Then sometimes, it doesn't happen at all on the regular tracks, but I'd say the ratio of happening vs not happening is definitely higher.

And, I'd be delighted if you could try out the following tracks:

Lemans Bugatti after the chicane going into the long downhill right-hander; happens somewhere around that.. then again you take two sharp right-handers and hit a small straight before the chicane.. it might happen again. In the remaining laps it'll happen less probably.

Lemans old and current: as you hit the first straight after the fast right-hander... somewhere in the beginning.

Prague: this is a tricky one, it'll happen at least once....as soon as you take the first right then take the long fast left (the river's to your right), it might stick for a split second, if not.. you'll definitely feel it in the next few seconds. One or two stutters on the first lap all in all, maybe one stutter on the next lap or none at all.

Indianapolis: One to two stutters, sometimes just one after turn 3 or 4 I guess. It's random.

I think apart from Lemans, stutters are generally random on tracks... I felt it once playing on the Top Gear track with all that silly stuff flying around, it was one of those "special events" and it stuttered for a split second. When testing out a car on the Top Gear track I've noticed the stutter maybe once, but generally none at all.

I've barely noticed them on Yas Marina, Road America or Road Atlanta.. Laguna Seca maybe once on the first lap, then once on the second or none at all.

The Alps, perhaps once, then not at all after that.

Catalunya, not sure... maybe once or twice, that's it.

You can probably tell we're on the same boat here, the frequency isn't very high, and like you, I'm accustomed to them by now, it isn't a major issue by any means, but it was quite surprising to see it in a FM game.

I did some research on this and sure enough there were complaints on gamefaqs.com as well as forzamotorsport.net. Some recommend getting a faster HDD.

Cheers man, I appreciate the help. :D

Edit: Have a look - http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/t...rame-Rate-Drop-on-Le-Mans-Old-Straight.aspx?=

Last edited:
I have checked out the Rivals section; I think it's a neat little idea and great fun when you want to take a break from career or arcade mode.

I'm not sure how you add someone in FM5 online play, but I'll figure it out, no worries. So you don't play online on weekends?

:lol:
I'm not sure if you have figured this out yet, but to add someone you have to go to the dashboard and then select the "Friends" tab, and then select "find someone" and in the pop up, enter their gamertag.

I'm not sure if you have figured this out yet, but to add someone you have to go to the dashboard and then select the "Friends" tab, and then select "find someone" and in the pop up, enter their gamertag.

Yup already did that; stumbled upon it a day or two back. Thanks!

And my ISP's half gone to sh** for now, so no use redeeming the Live Gold code just yet.

Yup already did that; stumbled upon it a day or two back. Thanks!

And my ISP's half gone to sh** for now, so no use redeeming the Live Gold code just yet.

Yeah the Xbox One handles friends a little differently. Say you find "katpeeler" in a gamertag search, you highlight the name, and you add him as a friend. But until I accept you as a friend, you will be a "follower" on MY side. And correct me if Im wrong but as a follower we can not jump in games or see each other on the "activity feed" to see what we are playing....Also on the friends conversation, if you open your friends list you can switch to see the people you recently played with in case you want to be-friend them.

Yeah the Xbox One handles friends a little differently. Say you find "katpeeler" in a gamertag search, you highlight the name, and you add him as a friend. But until I accept you as a friend, you will be a "follower" on MY side. And correct me if Im wrong but as a follower we can not jump in games or see each other on the "activity feed" to see what we are playing....Also on the friends conversation, if you open your friends list you can switch to see the people you recently played with in case you want to be-friend them.

I'm absolutely loving the X1's interface - it's very straightforward and easy to understand. I don't find it that cluttered unlike some reviews.

I just want MS to send us some kind of update to get rid of ALL stutters in ALL games.

I think I might go back to my X360 sometime this weekend. Such stutter-free games.

It wouldn't be Microsoft that would even handle that. It would be up to the individual publishers. I thought you said you only had the problem with FM?

Based on what I've read on various forums. Apparently, there are pretty noticeable stutters in Ryse, COD and Titanfall.

As for my 2 games, the stutters are practically non-existent in both Horizon 2 games, and fairly noticeable in FM5 in nearly every race, but a low frequency.

I'm surprised you've gotten none in 5. Maybe there's something wrong with my game save? Maybe the disc is half-bad? Maybe the HDD isn't as efficient? Maybe something went wrong with the title update?? Meehhhhh....

In any case, I'm no longer losing sleep over these issues. If they get to me, I just take a break from 5 and jump into Horizon. And for some reason, it makes me want to play it much longer than 5. Don't know if it's the smooth stutter-free gameplay or the breathtaking locales. It is just ONE addictive game. Can't wait for Hor 3 next year.

Yeah, then you need to not take someone else's experience as your own as it seems to vary, we can even use this exact situation as an example. I dont get stutters like you seem to be describing, but I do get a quick one on Le Mans right before the straight, like I mentioned. That is the only isolated instance though, nothing outside of that part.

I checked myself and I'm getting a very quick stutter but midway through the straight at Le Mans. There is also a weird line on Road Atlanta after the chicane, it happens on every single lap at the same spot, it is not a frame drop I just get a grey line on one part of the screen. That is about everything I noticed.

@Speedster911 , there was one big problem I had when I just bought the game, it would freeze on the start screen. the loading wheel would just get stuck and to fix it I had to quit the game and unplug the xbox for a minute or so (as recommended on the official forum) maybe you could try that. Also with a different game I had problems, I had to unistall and reinstall it in irder to play it again. I thought I would have to download it again since it was a digital copy but it seems the xbox doesn't delete the installation files, I was ab,e to do it instantly. What I'm saying is maybe you could reinstall the game, you might not have to download those extra 14 gigs or so you mentioned previously.

Thanks for the help fat Tyre; I don't think that solution applies to me as the game does not get stuck for me, but just split-second frame hiccups. The loading wheel does get stuck sometimes when tracks are loading (will have to double check), but it definitely gets stuck for a few secs at the title screen where it says "press A to begin".

I find it so bizarre, interesting and amusing at the same time that you guys get the frame hiccup on Lemans and not other tracks. It is not that noticeable on other tracks but Lemans is a special case; it seems to hang for nearly half a second.

I'm pretty sure you guys are simply not noticing it; I've played the previous 3 Forzas to death, and anyone else who has, would notice these infrequent 'hardly noticeable' stutters right away. Also when I finish a career race, at the end after clicking continue, the sound stutters quite noticeably as if the game gets stuck for a second between two loading screens.

It's got to be the HDD and I'm sure a USB 3.0 one running at 7200 RPMs would resolve the stutter.

Strange occurrences this new generation.

Out of curiosity, are all of you playing games off the standard HDD? How many games do you have installed?

Thanks for the help fat Tyre; I don't think that solution applies to me as the game does not get stuck for me, but just split-second frame hiccups. The loading wheel does get stuck sometimes when tracks are loading (will have to double check), but it definitely gets stuck for a few secs at the title screen where it says "press A to begin".

I find it so bizarre, interesting and amusing at the same time that you guys get the frame hiccup on Lemans and not other tracks. It is not that noticeable on other tracks but Lemans is a special case; it seems to hang for nearly half a second.

I'm pretty sure you guys are simply not noticing it; I've played the previous 3 Forzas to death, and anyone else who has, would notice these infrequent 'hardly noticeable' stutters right away. Also when I finish a career race, at the end after clicking continue, the sound stutters quite noticeably as if the game gets stuck for a second between two loading screens.

It's got to be the HDD and I'm sure a USB 3.0 one running at 7200 RPMs would resolve the stutter.

Strange occurrences this new generation.

Out of curiosity, are all of you playing games off the standard HDD? How many games do you have installed?

No worries. I have the standard HDD, I didn't upgrade anything. I think I have about 9 games installed (some are small like Darb which is only 500mb) and I have about 200gb free.

I have all my games on an external HD....2 digital games (GTA5 and Halo Master Chief) pretty big ones.....And all my installed games 4-5 with all there DLC are on my external HD...The only thing I have on my internal HD is the bare minimum

I have all my games on an external HD....2 digital games (GTA5 and Halo Master Chief) pretty big ones.....And all my installed games 4-5 with all there DLC are on my external HD...The only thing I have on my internal HD is the bare minimum

Does having the games on an external drive make it any slower for the xbox to load the games? Do they run the same?

No, we just aren't getting it, that's why.

I have about 5-6 games installed at the moment. I think I have somewhere around 150gigs left.

No, we just aren't getting it, that's why.

I have about 5-6 games installed at the moment. I think I have somewhere around 150gigs left.

No I don't believe that to be true, sorry. If there is an issue in the game not addressed by the developers, then it's there for everyone. I'll tell you again, you won't notice it especially if you're driving from the cockpit view. And again, it isn't a freeze or pause, it's more of a frame lag/hiccup, as if the game forgot to load a frame or two.

Anyway, it doesn't matter to me anymore. I'm enjoying the game, and in the heat of the race you forget these silly issues.

Does having the games on an external drive make it any slower for the xbox to load the games? Do they run the same?

Connecting a high speed 7200 RPM HDD to the external USB 3.0 does speed up installation, loading, reading/writing etc. It might even get rid of frame hiccups aka stuttering or texture pop ups, sound hanging in some games.

I say so because I did some research on this and one guy ran extensive tests on a 7200 RPM external HDD vs the internal one. In some cases he was getting nearly 40% faster loading times.

I've also read a thread on forza.net forums that switching to an external HDD cured the engine rev-hanging bug for some.

In any case, the X1 RAM and HDD are not being fully utilized or the games coming out are not completely optimized for the hardware. I believe as the console ages, these issues will be a thing of the past.

Or if you care to experiment, you could get an external one. I know for a fact I won't be needing an external one cos' I might not buy more than 4 or 5 games a year. The X1 doesn't really have that many games I want to play. I bought it JUST for Forza. And I might get Hardline, COD and some exclusives coming up.

Can you confidently say you're getting faster loading times? What about hiccup-free gameplay and no sound bugs? *Forza games*

Your sorry? Don't come around insinuating I'm blind. I DO NOT GET THE STUTTERS YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. I've been playing Forza since the first and have been into gaming in general for about 21 years now, so by that I could just make up that I'm more qualified then you now, since you bring up that your able to spot it since you've been playing Forza for so long.

You have to stop assuming that you are te voice of all. Your problem has happened by a small amount of people in comparison.

This reminds me of the time when playing Ghost Recon future soldier. People where complaining that they couldn't even get a kill or hit markets where not registerin what so ever, yet I was completely fine from te issue. Just like there's people who have had faulty disc drives and Xbox Ones, yet mine is completely fine.

Your sorry? Don't come around insinuating I'm blind. I DO NOT GET THE STUTTERS YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. I've been playing Forza since the first and have been into gaming in general for about 21 years now, so by that I could just make up that I'm more qualified then you now, since you bring up that your able to spot it since you've been playing Forza for so long.

You have to stop assuming that you are te voice of all. Your problem has happened by a small amount of people in comparison.

This reminds me of the time when playing Ghost Recon future soldier. People where complaining that they couldn't even get a kill or hit markets where not registerin what so ever, yet I was completely fine from te issue. Just like there's people who have had faulty disc drives and Xbox Ones, yet mine is completely fine.

Perhaps you got a very extra-special "permufy" X-1 console; I bet MS was like "we're going to pick a few lucky buyers who will absolutely never EVER experience any stutters in any game."

BTW, nothing's wrong with anyone's console or game copy, yet they are experiencing these bugs in FM5 and H2.

There's certainly nothing wrong with my system or game copy, otherwise it wouldn't have installed or acted funny in some way or the other - nothing of that sort.

Since you've been a gamer for so long, I'm sure you understand the reason behind these inconsistencies.

What set up are you running? TV and sound system? Energy saving on? You MUST be doing something others are not. There is not a single member at the official forum who's denied seeing these stutters or otherwise not experience them.

This is a forum where people offer helpful advice and try to remedy issues. I'd suggest you not take replies personally, chill out and have a lemonade or something.

Perhaps you got a very extra-special "permufy" X-1 console; I bet MS was like "we're going to pick a few lucky buyers who will absolutely never EVER experience any stutters in any game."
go ahead and continue acting like a jackass. I've never even claimed as such.

BTW, nothing's wrong with anyone's console or game copy, yet they are experiencing these bugs in FM5 and H2.
wait, you said you weren't experiencing them in H2, so why is it that others are? Oh that's right, because it's not effecting everyone.

Since you've been a gamer for so long, I'm sure you understand the reason behind these inconsistencies.
and you should know by now that certain problems can be isolated and not effect te majority of the fan base.

What set up are you running? TV and sound system? Energy saving on? You MUST be doing something others are not. There is not a single member at the official forum who's denied seeing these stutters or otherwise not experience them.
there have actually already been alot of people, just on this forum, that has denied those problems.

This is a forum where people offer helpful advice and try to remedy issues. I'd suggest you not take replies personally, chill out and have a lemonade or something.
Yet when people offer there help and explain there experiences, you insult them and call them blind. Don't be such an ass and you won't get treated like one. I only took it personally when you decided to insult me because I don't have te problems you do.

I denied gettin them on every single track, I didn't deny the Le Mans issue right before the straight.

go ahead and continue acting like a jackass. I've never even claimed as such.

wait, you said you weren't experiencing them in H2, so why is it that others are? Oh that's right, because it's not effecting everyone.

and you should know by now that certain problems can be isolated and not effect te majority of the fan base.

there have actually already been alot of people, just on this forum, that has denied those problems.

Yet when people offer there help and explain there experiences, you insult them and call them blind. Don't be such an ass and you won't get treated like one. I only took it personally when you decided to insult me because I don't have te problems you do.

I denied gettin them on every single track, I didn't deny the Le Mans issue right before the straight.

Very nice. Classy. :D

Better to be an honest ass than an estrogen-happy prick. :lol:

I'll take that any day.

Very nice. Classy. :D

Better to be an honest ass than an estrogen-happy prick. :lol:

I'll take that any day.

That's the thing, nothing of what I said had to do with your honesty, but more so then the fact that you don't want to accept that others aren't having the problems you are. So you'd rather throw around hidden insults, then accept their point of view. Stop telling me what I'm experiencing, or not experiencing, is wrong.

The fact that that is all you had to say about what I brought up just shows you'd rather act like a child, then have any sort of understanding.

That's the thing, nothing of what I said had to do with your honesty, but more so then the fact that you don't want to accept that others aren't having the problems you are. So you'd rather throw around hidden insults, then accept their point of view. Stop telling me what I'm experiencing, or not experiencing, is wrong.

The fact that that is all you had to say about what I brought up just shows you'd rather act like a child, then have any sort of understanding.

Thank you very much, case closed.

Your input is no longer required on this thread.

Move along, thanks.

Wow....That escalated quickly

When I had all my games on the internal I kinda noticed the load times slow down. You know like when your HD on your computer will start acting weird. It might have been just in my mind...
But the way I was thinking I was going to need a larger HD sooner or later.

When I had all my games on the internal I kinda noticed the load times slow down. You know like when your HD on your computer will start acting weird. It might have been just in my mind...

Right; what performance gains have you noticed apart from quicker load times?

I'm on the same state of mind. I'm definitely going to need one if I purchase another game or two. As it sits right now, my time is pretty occupied so that probably won't be for a bit.

Thank you very much, case closed.

Your input is no longer required on this thread.

Move along, thanks.

Let's make this exceedingly clear: you don't get to tell other members what to do. Members of staff do. So on that note: drop the attitude. It's not optional.

Back