Anybody still playing this game?

• Thread starter rocoloco
  • 52 comments
RocoPJ
Hi guys. Gran Turismo 3 is already 14 years old... If it were a person, he would be an adolescent by now. Graphics may be a bit outdated, there may be some annoying bugs, few cars compared to newer GTs, and an obsolete driving model. But I think it still holds pretty well and is always fun to play. Lately, I recovered my old PS2, and I started a new game on GT3. The game is so enthralling, almost addictive, and it is fast! GT4 is so slow that it bores me after a few races. On the opposite, 3 keeps me glued to the screen, challenging myself to do the best time with more and more powerful cars. And getting gold in every competition. Last but not least, it is the only Gran Turismo game with a meaningful Arcade mode: winning races to unlock tracks and cars, it's a simple but different kind of challenge compared to the Gran Turismo mode.

So, what do you think? Am I just wearing the best nostalgia glasses? :)

Given you're new and this thread is pretty empty, I'll start off with a Welcome, Rocoloco! and a story of my own:

I got GT3 from my school's yearly car boot sale a few years ago (and ~2.5 years later I got GT4 from a local fair) and, although I could tell from the cover itself it was an old game (from the art style, not from the state of it, which was pristeen. I still have no idea how I "knew" it was old. Maybe it's just my subconscious working with my peripheral vision that figured it was a PS2 game and didn't tell my conscious self. ............ Anyway, I digress...) I still took it and got my PS2 running it and I was, well, basically an extreme in terms of beginner. I started off in a free run in arcade mode on the Super Speedway and I started off getting used to all the new things the game was showing me (I still remember it clearly, especially when I got myself stuck in the pits almost immediately). Fast-forward a year or so. I was still very early in the game, I might've finished the Arcade "Easy" and got the first credits film, idr, and I had the IB lisence and was competing in the Amateur league AT BEST. The slowness this game played compared to other games was unbelievable now that I look back, but I still enjoyed it, still practically the only game I played on my PS2 (sometimes played a bit of an obscure favourite of mine, Shox). Fast-forward another couple or so years. I got GT4 on a fair (along with Ace Combat: Squadron Leader (that's The Unsung War for the rest of the world)) and I was amazed particularly at the options screen (usually is one of the first things I see in a game now), and yadda, yadda, off-topic yadda, and I pretty much stopped playing GT3 until I 1) stopped playing on console and played PC games, and 2) my PC (which is probably older than the PS2) died, so I archived my old saves on my archiving memory card and started afresh. Lisences suddenly became a breeze and I was confident enough in my abilities to set a challenge to keep my win ratio 100%, if I lost a race: Reset console. And we reach present time.

TL;DR: I also still have GT3 and a working PS2, and I still enjoy this game. I really don't notice the graphics, I'm not that sort of person, and I disagree with your
rocoloco
and it is fast!
I hope you have a good time here at :gtplanet:.

Hey AstroSnail, thank you for your welcome, I have registered this account long time ago, but didn't realize I never wrote anything, always been lurking.
Anyway, I completely agree with you when you say that it is slow in terms of career progressing. What I meant with "fast" is from a gameplay perspective - loading times are shorter and driving feels more pacey to me, while GT4 feels slower from that point of view. But I reckon that the career/Gran Turismo mode is nothing but fast, actually it sometimes feels like a japanese RPG grindfest.

GT3 still looks great in my opinion. I reckon it could have easily been released on PS3, and would have still been popular.

rocoloco
But I reckon that the career/Gran Turismo mode is nothing but fast
Did you mean "anything but fast"? "But" can be used as a substitute for "except", unless I was wrong for over half of my life.

GT3 still looks really good today, even though it is 14 years old. The sunset at Seattle is possibly my most breathtaking part of the game. And before I forget, welcome to :gtpflag: @rocoloco!

Did you mean "anything but fast"? "But" can be used as a substitute for "except", unless I was wrong for over half of my life.

Yes, that's what I meant. I'm sorry but English is not my native language.

Thanks CowboyAce57. I agree with you about the Seattle circuit, it has the typical "golden hour" lighting. Too bad they didn't include it GT5/6.

Oh no, it's not PS3 quality, but I think if for some reason it was released on PS3 not the PS2 it would still have been popular.
If it was released on the PS Classics on the PS Store, perhaps. Not as a full title on PS3 though.

I`ve had GT3 for like 10 years now, never really got anywhere with it because I was too focused on GT4. But now I`ve just reset my GT3 and began my quest to completing it. So count me in as an active player. :D

I've been replaying a bit of GT3 and GT4 on an emulator the past couple of months, and I've found both of them to hold up very well. It's a shame some of the awesome tracks never saw the light of day in future versions.

Also, brute forcing some graphical power and effects into the game can arguably make it look more impressive than GT5/GT6 at times (minus some minor glitches). Recently recorded this slow drive around SSR5 with the game being rendered in 4K resolution and thought I'd post it here.

Been messing around with tuning cars since I got a GT3 save with 10 mil and every car (including the P 001 & 002).

I've been replaying a bit of GT3 and GT4 on an emulator the past couple of months, and I've found both of them to hold up very well. It's a shame some of the awesome tracks never saw the light of day in future versions.

Also, brute forcing some graphical power and effects into the game can arguably make it look more impressive than GT5/GT6 at times (minus some minor glitches). Recently recorded this slow drive around SSR5 with the game being rendered in 4K resolution and thought I'd post it here.

Disabling the coronas on the light sources would fix one obvious graphical mishap.

Hello, Im new around here, and yes, been playing this since January, almost finishing Pro League and a few Endurances to go.

Not as good as the other pre-GT5 games. I first played GT2 then GT1 then GT4 then GT3 so that dosen't help its case.

If Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec was a person, it would be that teen going through awkward stages. They used the menu sounds from GT2 but added new music. They used some Junkie XL, Papa Roach, Snoop Dogg (oh wow) and for some reason, Jimi Hendrix as the racing music. The graphics are the reason why there are 150 cars- they are all in HQ. so there is the reason why there's no blue Dodge Viper GTS. *sigh*

But- the game is excellent when it comes to just driving. Even if there are no vintage muscle cars, the game has a nice semi arcade feel and still has the original PS1 version game's spirit in them. And, that intro. The NTSC one , of course! Not only that, the graphics really pay off with those heat reflections, lens flare , fog- the game has ton of effects that makes it a good.

Hi, Im new here too, I've been using this site whilst playing through GT6! I think it's a great place for petrol heads all round and I like the fact that it doesn't shun all other racing games, very grown up.

As for GT3, well I've pretty much reached the end of GT6, (sob), and its left me hungry for more so I tried to carry on playing where I left off on GT4, (from years ago), which is mid way through the Polyphony Cup near the end of the game but it is just too hard to get back into at the mo, all I wanted is to pick up the arcade mode in it but it won't let me unless I quit the cup and I'm not going to do that as I'm 5 races in! Something to go back to as I'm above 90% complete and would love to finish it.

So this brings me to GT3, I've always had it but never played it, (got my PS2 late to play GT4). A couple of days ago I started, all I've done is the first license test, the Sunday Cup and some Arcade races. Without trying to compare to other GT's and making an allowence fit the graphics, (which actually are very good considering the hardware), I'm really enjoying it ! The driving physics work great and the feeling of GT is present, I enjoying pushing as hard as you can, so rewarding. And the load time is so fast !

I'm looking forward to playing through this game, I can tell it's going to be worth it. Perhaps it will see me through until GT7! Although I have 5 to play yet as well!

I still play it. I got it for Christmas last year, and I have golded every license test, placed 1st on each Time Trial, won every arcade mode race on Hard, completed the Beginner League, most of the Amateur League (GT World and Dream Car championships are the only ones I have yet to complete), and some of the rally events.

Edit: My brother took the PS2 to college. It could be years until I have a chance to play it again.

Edit again: PS2 is back. Still haven't had a chance to plug it back in. Also, I got TT yesterday. :)

Last edited:
I've ordered this game off Amazon and it should be here by tomorrow my ps2 still runs great and I can't wait to pop this disc in and play for hours! It will be amazing to satisfy my nostalgia for this game :bowdown::):):bowdown:

I still play it. I only have a 53% Completion though since I go between GT3, GT4 and GT6. And I love my little "Midnight Monster," a 1072 HP R34 Midnight Purple Edition :) Might bring it into GT6...

I still play it. GT3 may be a bit old (vintage), but to me it is the most complete game in the series (when everything is considered).

I've been playing it off and on for a little over a year now, it's my favorite game in the series. I signed up to this site to see if maybe anyone wanted to do some hot lapping so I'll check for interest at some point.

Here is a video of me a friend of mine uploaded some time back.

When I can be bothered doing 100 laps of the speedway,I will probly get a car like that back.:lol: :)

When I can be bothered doing 100 laps of the speedway,I will probly get a car like that back.:lol: :)

When I started the game again from scratch I used Andrew's guide book with the sole intention of getting the f1 cars, it didn't take me very long to have all of them. The only trouble is having to use the 'reboot' the game plan when the prize is not what you wish, I'm also guilty of pressing x as the carousel goes round an round.

When I started the game again from scratch I used Andrew's guide book with the sole intention of getting the f1 cars, it didn't take me very long to have all of them. The only trouble is having to use the 'reboot' the game plan when the prize is not what you wish, I'm also guilty of pressing x as the carousel goes round an round.
I have the PAL version,I'm afraid,but I suppose the sentiment is still there.👍 I don't always press x right away but it is habit forming.

I forgot about the PAL version not having the same cars for some reason. I do enjoy the gt physics in conjunction with the old f1 cars for whatever reason. Aside from the formula cars if the engine had a bit of body roll and some added tyre affects I'd claim it to be the best physics engine PD has made.

Biased for sure, I've always been a fan of this version of the game and nothing will change that fact, surely not gt5 which is the last installment I played. There was a good version of 5p in there somewhere but how can you remember which one when they kept changing the physics with updates lol.

It's been a few months and I'm finding it hard to shake off the rust. If anyone is interested I'm working on a sub one minute lap at apricot hill forward in an f090/s, not there yet :mad:

Here is a pic of the 1/2 arse rig I'm using at the moment, it serves me pretty well :D

rig_rig.jpg

:lol: not joking.

Back