Anybody still playing this game?

• Thread starter rocoloco
  • 52 comments
I havent been in here in a few years when I was playing through GT5. I actually picked this game up a week ago. It was the first time ever playing GT3. I always played through GT1 and 2 when I was a kid then later on after high school I bought GT4 befor I joined the Navy. Years on I had a ps3 and got GT5 then GT6 untill. I lost dont have a PS3 at the moment but I still have GT5 XL and my saves on a thumb drive. I sold GT6 20th anniversary which I regret, but plan to buy again eventually. I picked up a slim ps2 two weeks ago with intentions on gaming on a budget and the GT series was a must. I picked up GT4 for 6 bucks at a classic video game store then found GT3 for 3 bucks, how could I resist. GT3 and 4 looked pretty bad on my LCD then I had to order component cables and WOW what a difference. One thing that stood out while playing GT3 that suprised me was the heat wave effects at the beggining of some races. I'm sure theres a lot more I'll eventually find. I play more sparingly since I'm newly married as of last year, but I'll get on when I'm to busy. I've started out with AE86 and still have a long way to go, but I'll grind through the basic races easily. I still have my DFGT wheel and wish I had a stand for it, but for now I'm fine using the controller even though I love using the wheel on GT. Glad i'm not the only one still enjoying this game.

Found my PS2 after it getting lost in the shuffle due to moving, put in GT3 and I've played it more than any other racing game combined in the last week

I play ever so often, it is pretty nostalgic in key areas, the map reminds me of GT1's but simplified enough for everyone to understand.

The races were the fun part, yes, some of the races repeat in each league, but they had way more races than the current GT that we have, though no twenty-four hour races. The most fun race that I can think of is the Polyphony Digital Cup.

Considering I spent most of my time in GT1 and GT2 recently, because my PS2 broke, I've been playing it a lot over the past few days. I fixed my PS2 and immediately started playing GT3. I've been playing since Saturday, and my completion rate went from a 0% on Saturday, to a 16% with an IA license.

I almost finished the Professional League (left the Formula GT Championship for the finale), and yesterday I started the Endurance races. I ran the Superspeedway 150 miles and the Seattle 100 miles.
Oh boy, I was stunned when I won the Polyphony 002 from the Seattle race. :eek:

Me and my brother got it together with a playstation as a joined gift back in 2001 because it was so expensive back then. The following rows about ownership and the fact that i was just 9 did not let me have the fun i was hoping to get.

years later, with my own ps2, i found it in a second Hand shop, almost looking brand new together with the original, official game book (remember that treat?) dear god, how good it felt driving there being older and wiser and having car Setup knowledge. It´s a jewel of a game and when there is time, i am still playing it today.

Yes, first bought it second hand in 2004 and it was a bit scratched but worked ok. Bought it with my then brand new slim PS2. A couple of years later found another copy still sealed in factory wrapping and that's the copy I still play (kept disc mint to satisfy my OCD!!)
And still have the official Piggyback Interactive guide book.

Bought Gran Turismo Sport and after the disappointment I decided to go back to this game. I had not played it probably in over 10 years.
So, I've been playing for over a week and it's so good! I'm having a blast with it.
I've completed about 20%.

Graphics look smooth in my PS3.

I never finish GT3.. Still remember when i lost my save with 78%.. hmm 2004 i think.. but i'm here again, close to 30%, it's a nice sim, looks great on component cable :D

I gave away my ps2 years ago which I now regret. So ive been on the hunt in local opp shops (goodwill stores) re collecting the bits and pieces to play GT3/4.

About a year ago I score a PS2 driving force wheel for $4 from a opp shop
A few months a go I got 2 Ps2 controllers for $2 from a garage sale
about a month ago I got 2 copies of GT3 standard and platinum for $2 from a opp shop
And yesterday I got a PS2 phat from the local Tip shop for $5

So $13 bucks aussie ($9.85 US) ive collected ps2 with a force feedback wheel with 2 copies of GT3 :-)

So for the moment of truth does any of it work? lol before I dared to plug anything in I opened it all up and gave it a good clean. I learnt the guts of a PS2 are a lot more fiddly then PS1 and old Xbox's etc.

And Pow! it all worked perfectly! ive never played GT3 before and with the wheel for its time it would of been incredible. I played GT1 at a mates place in 98 and then got my ps1 and got gt2 and went from there but for no real reason I only acquired GT 2, 4 5 6 and now Sport.

So I look forward to getting into it when I need some downtime from sport.

Noooooooooo! I accidentally sold my Mazda RX8! I just spent like 1.5 hours getting golds on the A license too!!! I can't believe this happened to me and after I struggled all day on B8 as well. I'm having the worst damn luck with this game on this playthrough it's driving me batty.

Sorry just had to vent.

Progress report. I'm ecstatic right now. I must be in the GT3 zone the last couple days. I have managed to get all golds on the A, IB, IA, R, and 2 of the S license tests since my last post!! At the rate I'm going I'll have the S license licked by the end of tomorrow! I'm super excited I've got all golds on all test besides the Rally before but now I'll be having full list of golds YESSS!

After having seen SSR11 in this game again for the first time in a while I now remember why I loved it soo much before. It feels really magical and nostalgic especially because that ferris wheel in the distance.

Just had to share my happiness on this after my rant a couple days prior.

Progress report. I'm ecstatic right now. I must be in the GT3 zone the last couple days. I have managed to get all golds on the A, IB, IA, R, and 2 of the S license tests since my last post!! At the rate I'm going I'll have the S license licked by the end of tomorrow! I'm super excited I've got all golds on all test besides the Rally before but now I'll be having full list of golds YESSS!

After having seen SSR11 in this game again for the first time in a while I now remember why I loved it soo much before. It feels really magical and nostalgic especially because that ferris wheel in the distance.

Just had to share my happiness on this after my rant a couple days prior.

Hmmm, your making me feel like firing it up :)
I have lots of unfinished business with GT3 as I only had GT4 back in the day.

SSR11 does look very pretty, especially on a CRT as intended :)

Hmmm, your making me feel like firing it up :)
I have lots of unfinished business with GT3 as I only had GT4 back in the day.

SSR11 does look very pretty, especially on a CRT as intended :)

Do it this game as you know is wonderful! I wish there were active playing communities regarding this game still I'd love to try my skills on time trial competitions soon.

YESS!! I have all golds on every license now!! I never managed this in this game until now. Now I can feel the accomplishment of having acquired golds on all licenses in GT1, GT2, GT3, and GT4.

I'll do my part to hopefully revive the time trials.

I'm at 16% now i'm busy with completing all the gt's , it's a lot of fun :)

What GT do you like the most? My personal favorite is Gran Turismo 4 out of the ones I've played.

UPDATE! I'm shocked right now.. I managed to beat all the Time Trials in only 40 minutes! I had to retry the Complex String one 3 times but man it was actually easy overall! I managed to do all the really hard stuff in the game already ie golding all license tests, beating all Time Trials etc. I swear when I was 17 years old the first time I played through the game 100% it took me days to beat the Complex String TT but damn the 4th try this time wth.. I'm not complaining though by any means.

What GT do you like the most? My personal favorite is Gran Turismo 4 out of the ones I've played.

UPDATE! I'm shocked right now.. I managed to beat all the Time Trials in only 40 minutes! I had to retry the Complex String one 3 times but man it was actually easy overall! I managed to do all the really hard stuff in the game already ie golding all license tests, beating all Time Trials etc. I swear when I was 17 years old the first time I played through the game 100% it took me days to beat the Complex String TT but damn the 4th try this time wth.. I'm not complaining though by any means.

It's hard to pick a favorite but i guess gt4 is probally my favorite
But i like the online play from gt5, 6 and sport a lot too

I started again today, I'm currently running GT3 and GT4 saves - popping between them.

I actually forgot how challenging 3 is at the beginning, not so much the Sunday & Clubman races but beyond that... took me about 8 attempts to beat the 80's challenge @ Seattle with my moderately tuned Toyota GT Apex, for example. I was loathe to spend any more money on it since there's no "Capri Rally" trick in this game.

God I love older GT games. Doubt I'll buy any new versions until PD release a "true" Gran Turismo again.

Latest Posts

Back