Anyone a little disappointed?

• Thread starter Rashman
  • 27 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
I’m trying to get excited about this game.
I’m old enough to have played GT way back on the PlayStation 1.
It was always a good game with lots to do.
But things appear to have changed now.

With GT Sport, it seems it’s all about online play, which is fine, but I’ve read about much disappointment of the lack of single player career mode that was present in previous games.

One thing that has definitely got me bummed is the really poor selection of cars.
Why is it so limited?
It not like they haven’t had long enough to fill this game up with content.

For example, I’m a Mercedes guy and I’m really disappointed to have such little to choose from.
Why on earth would they leave out ALL of the Black Series models?!
There are only literally a handful of Mercedes cars.
It’s not just Mercedes either.
Many of the Marques only have a handful of cars available.
Yet you can be sure there are more Japanese cars.
Pretty selfish in my opinion.

One thing that has definitely got me bummed is the really poor selection of cars.
Why is it so limited?
Kazunori Yamauchi
I am planning to add it by update or download contents. The reason why sports cars, especially racing cars, was needed from the beginning was that we had to prepare all the categories of race cars for the FIA championship this time. At first glance it seems that the gravity is inclined to that, but not only sports cars, but also old cars, family cars everyone carries, or old classic cars, such cars are also important as ‘Gran Turismo’ Because it exists, I want to add more and more.
https://www.gtplanet.net/kazunori-yamauchi-gt-sport-will-feature-wider-variety-cars-launch/
https://www.gtplanet.net/kazunori-yamauchi-gt-sport-will-feature-wider-variety-cars-launch/
Yet you can be sure there are more Japanese cars.
The largest single brand is Peugeot, with 11 cars. Toyota is second on 10. Mercedes and Mercedes-AMG is third on nine.

Japanese cars are 46 across 10 brands (4.6/brand). German cars are 33 across 6 brands (5.5/brand). French cars are 27 across 5 brands (5.4/brand). US cars are 22 across 5 brands (4.4/brand). British cars are 15 across 3 brands (5.0/brand).

Last edited:

Encouraging, I guess.
But asking people to buy the game on the “hope” that the game may have content added is a bit cheeky.
They could at least state more solidly what their intentions are.
Not being able to drive my AMG or other variants is likely to be deal breaker for me.

The other thing I wil be doing first is gauging how the game feels.
I’ve downloaded the demo ready for tomorrow.
I remember more recent versions of GT games lost the “feel” whereby the cars felt like they sliding around the screen.
I think it was GT5 that I noticed this on.
I actually lost all interest in the franchise after that.

The largest single brand is Peugeot, with 11 cars. Toyota is second on 10. Mercedes and Mercedes-AMG is third on nine.

Japanese cars are 46 across 10 brands (4.6/brand). German cars are 33 across 6 brands (5.5/brand). French cars are 27 across 5 brands (5.4/brand). US cars are 22 across 5 brands (4.4/brand). British cars are 15 across 3 brands (5.0/brand).

Yes,
Peugeot is the one I noticed almost immediately!
What the hell is that all about?!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you were expecting Gran Turismo 7 then expect to be disappointed. That's why they titled it GT Sport. It's not the same as past GT games.

Encouraging, I guess.
But asking people to buy the game on the “hope” that the game may have content added is a bit cheeky.
Not being able to drive my AMG or other variants is likely to be deal breaker for me.

The other thing I wil be doing first is gauging how the game feels.
I’ve downloaded the demo ready for tomorrow.
I remember more recent versions of GT games lost the “feel” whereby the cars felt like they sliding around the screen.
I think it was GT5 that I noticed this on.
I actually lost all interest in the franchise after that.
Please don't double post. Use the edit button if you wish to add something to a previous post.

I'm old enough to remember the old games too.

Career mode - Well, I guess they could have done so, but games are online now, people want to play against their friends. In some game franchises people don't even really bother to play single player now, I guess PD are trying to push that along a little with racing games. From a sporting perspective its more interesting to battle a real person than AI ?

Cars will be added as time goes on (PD have been quoted as having aspirations for 500), allegedly for free - but we'll see on that. To be honest the older games got a bit silly - sure its got hundreds of cars but there were lots of duplicates, I forget the details but one version of GT had like 30 odd versions of the MX-5, thats just daft. A huge list of cars doesn't necessarily make the game better.

As far as your Mercs go, could be that Mercedes weren't prepared to license lots of cars, or wanted lots of money to do so ? I had a quick look, Project Cars 2 has no black series cars and Forza 7 only has 2.

In some ways GT Sport feels a bit like Grand Theft Auto 5 - in both cases previous games had online capability, but never went for online in a big way - GT Sport and GTA5 have been experiments/learning experiences for PD / Rockstar to find their way with online games. Who knows, maybe the next version of GT will have career mode back - possible they could bring it back and you'd play against AI and real people in career mode? Who knows.

If you were expecting Gran Turismo 7 then expect to be disappointed. That's why they titled it GT Sport. It's not the same as past GT games.

Take this with a shovel of salt (like
I did) but a friend of mine has it from a solid source that they will be releasing another iteration of the game down the line soon.

I find that hard to believe that they would stiff their customers like that but haven’t they done that before by bringing out “prologues” and “specs” etc?

Encouraging, I guess.
Disappointed? Sure, this is not the GT I was expecting on PS4. It's a GT only by its name when it comes to facts : no classic JDMs, no Grand Valley/Deep Forest..., no career mode and so on.
I will give it a chance, maybe the Sport concept will make wonders even if I prefer to play offline. Now, all I ask is a simple DLCs schedule. Poly can't act like in the past and keep us in the dark. They have to be very clear like Turn 10 was for Toyota/Lexus in Forza 7.

Please don't double post. Use the edit button if you wish to add something to a previous post.
A double post is posting the same thing twice, isn’t it?:confused:

Disappointed? Sure, this is not the GT I was expecting on PS4. It's a GT only by its name when it comes to facts : no classic JDMs, no Grand Valley/Deep Forest..., no career mode and so on.
I will give it a chance, maybe the Sport concept will make wonders even if I prefer to play offline. Now, all I ask is a simple DLCs schedule. Poly can't act like in the past and keep us in the dark. They have to be very clear like Turn 10 was for Toyota/Lexus in Forza 7.

Agreed.
There are other games out there that are stepping their game up.
To me, GT was always the go-to driving sim.
Seems that may not be the case is PG don’t wake up a little.

Career mode - Well, I guess they could have done so, but games are online now, people want to play against their friends. In some game franchises people don't even really bother to play single player now, I guess PD are trying to push that along a little with racing games. From a sporting perspective its more interesting to battle a real person than AI ?

That's a misconception as proven on these very boards recently.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...es-gtp-swing-read-op-before-answering.358632/

I'm old enough to remember the old games too.

Cars will be added as time goes on (PD have been quoted as having aspirations for 500), allegedly for free - but we'll see on that. To be honest the older games got a bit silly - sure its got hundreds of cars but there were lots of duplicates, I forget the details but one version of GT had like 30 odd versions of the MX-5, thats just daft. A huge list of cars doesn't necessarily make the game better.

As far as your Mercs go, could be that Mercedes weren't prepared to license lots of cars, or wanted lots of money to do so ? I had a quick look, Project Cars 2 has no black series cars and Forza 7 only has 2.

In some ways GT Sport feels a bit like Grand Theft Auto 5 - in both cases previous games had online capability, but never went for online in a big way - GT Sport and GTA5 have been experiments/learning experiences for PD / Rockstar to find their way with online games. Who knows, maybe the next version of GT will have career mode back - possible they could bring it back and you'd play against AI and real people in career mode? Who knows.

Yeah, fair points.
I’m not at all against online play and I agree with you.
I play games primarily for their online functionality too.
Battlefield 1, being the main (only!) game I’ve been playing for a good while now.

I guess I’ll just have to see how this unfolds.
I’m assuming that we’ll be able to get on a track with friends online for friendly duels, no?
Haven’t heard much talk about this.
We better be able to.

And this scheduling of daily races is a bit too much like a dictatorship ship.
Have to see how that goes too...

Not disappointed at all, especially with so many other driving games to go at right now if needed, I just put it all into context really as we are kinda’ spoiled these days, I’ve had hours of fun with games containing far fewer vehicles and tracks. I also welcome the limited introduction to the game which has clearly been given a serious amount of polish. I’ve spent hours this weekend just watching the scapes, largely by default I grant you, but still, I’ve never sat and watched stills from a game before for so long and with such awe. There are some nice cars to drive and some nice tracks to race around. Rather than dwell on what’s not there, focus on what is and enjoy it knowing that this is just the start. If PD have done their homework, we won’t be needing a GT7 as this can evolve with additional game modes too.

The truth is that Polyphony can act just as bad as before.

Yes and no...

Hopefully in time the game will be updated so much it will turn it into GT7

Give me Nurburgring on PS4 on my G29 wheel i'm happy

Yeah, I fell for this with GT6. It seemed like they were all geared up for adding a steady stream of content. Instead, something like less than ten real world cars were added, only part of the VGT list was delivered upon, and the course maker turned out to be a tablet only app (a fact they never mentioned until the day of release!). Although they did bring back Midfield.

Yes, it's likely that more content will be added post launch but it will be very little. I don't think the car list will grow past 250. I think PD have fallen into a strange mindset where they're designing their games to be like annual titles (GT6's short career mode comes to mind) and yet they still take years to produce.

A double post is posting the same thing twice, isn’t it?:confused:
To be a bit clearer, a double post is where you post one thing, then immediately after think of something else to say so make another post right after it. In such a case you should just edit the original post and extend that one.

Not disappointed at all, especially with so many other driving games to go at right now if needed, I just put it all into context really as we are kinda’ spoiled these days, I’ve had hours of fun with games containing far fewer vehicles and tracks. I also welcome the limited introduction to the game which has clearly been given a serious amount of polish. I’ve spent hours this weekend just watching the scapes, largely by default I grant you, but still, I’ve never sat and watched stills from a game before for so long and with such awe. There are some nice cars to drive and some nice tracks to race around. Rather than dwell on what’s not there, focus on what is and enjoy it knowing that this is just the start. If PD have done their homework, we won’t be needing a GT7 as this can evolve with additional game modes too.
Yes, I hear what you’re saying.
But rather than have a library of driving games, I’m the kind of person that would prefer a game developer to encompass everything and get it right.
That way, you’ll have a game that satisfies all your needs.
Take Battlefield vs Call of Duty as an example.
For me, DICE got it spot in by developing a game that includes all aspects of warfare. Land, sea and air with a shed load of vehicles to enjoy.
Having a game that only offers one aspect of warfare is not good enough.

I agree with what you say about there being a million variants of one car in previous GT games.
That was silly.
But at the very least (if they really do want this game to stand out and indeed evolve), they should be offering up a good helping of cars. That way, they can be sure to tickle everyone’s interest, thus ensuring they attract a wider audience and fatter wallets.

But, I also agree, that it is also down to manufacturers and their own decision as to whether they want to feature in such games.

Sure would be nice to see AMG’s “Project 1” making an appearance next year :bowdown:

Yeah, I fell for this with GT6. It seemed like they were all geared up for adding a steady stream of content. Instead, something like less than ten real world cars were added, only part of the VGT list was delivered upon, and the course maker turned out to be a tablet only app (a fact they never mentioned until the day of release!). Although they did bring back Midfield.

Yes, it's likely that more content will be added post launch but it will be very little. I don't think the car list will grow past 250. I think PD have fallen into a strange mindset where they're designing their games to be like annual titles (GT6's short career mode comes to mind) and yet they still take years to produce.

Yes,
This is my concern too.

@Rashman you keep double posting every time. You are going to get into trouble. Click edit on your latest reply to Turnaround, then copy all of the post. Delete it and replace it with 'Sorry DP', then save it. Finally edit your latest reply to JayneS and paste the post to Turnaround at the end of the post to JayneS before saving.

Yes and no...

Hopefully in time the game will be updated so much it will turn it into GT7

Give me Nurburgring on PS4 on my G29 wheel i'm happy

Yup,
I hear that.
I just want the ‘ring and the AMG of my choice and I’ll be happy.

Yes, I hear what you’re saying.
But rather than have a library of driving games, I’m the kind of person that would prefer a game developer to encompass everything and get it right.
That way, you’ll have a game that satisfies all your needs.
Take Battlefield vs Call of Duty as an example.
For me, DICE got it spot in by developing a game that includes all aspects of warfare. Land, sea and air with a shed load of vehicles to enjoy.
Having a game that only offers one aspect of warfare is not good enough.

I agree with what you say about there being a million variants of one car in previous GT games.
That was silly.
But at the very least (if they really do want this game to stand out and indeed evolve), they should be offering up a good helping of cars. That way, they can be sure to tickle everyone’s interest, thus ensuring they attract a wider audience and fatter wallets.

But, I also agree, that it is also down to manufacturers and their own decision as to whether they want to feature in such games.

Sure would be nice to see AMG’s “Project 1” making an appearance next year :bowdown:
That’s pretty much it, and I used to be like that. I had very little spare time before but have more on my hands now and so am a bit more relaxed about things. Also, even if GTS had hundreds of cars and many tens of locations, I’d still explore other racing series for the nuances they offer.

I agree on the whole car count thing too, 1200 cars or whatever it was in GT6 is nice to have I guess, but also a bit silly. Mind you, all I’m bothered about is one car and that’s in the game - my beloved Golf MKVIi GTI :) It’s also got my favourite track, Brands Hatch, so I’m sorted! Be nice to take the vision GTI around the ‘ring though as well.

@Rashman you keep double posting every time. You are going to get into trouble. Click edit on your latest reply to Turnaround, then copy all of the post. Delete it and replace it with 'Sorry DP', then save it. Finally edit your latest reply to JayneS and paste the post to Turnaround at the end of the post to JayneS before saving.

What the..?

Sounds like a lot of buggering around to me.
This forum seems to have completely different rules to all the other forums I use.

A double post has always been posting the same thing twice.
It is the very definition of double post.

Adding a new line of communication to my own thread is perfectly normal.
Or perhaps not..

What the..?

Sounds like a lot of buggering around to me.
This forum seems to have completely different rules to all the other forums I use.

A double post has always been posting the same thing twice.
It is the very definition of double post.

Adding a new line of communication to my own thread is perfectly normal.
Or perhaps not..
Double posting is when two posts from the same person appear in a row. It's frowned upon here. It might be different elsewhere but you did sign upto the AUP when you joined.

That’s pretty much it, and I used to be like that. I had very little spare time before but have more on my hands now and so am a bit more relaxed about things. Also, even if GTS had hundreds of cars and many tens of locations, I’d still explore other racing series for the nuances they offer.

I agree on the whole car count thing too, 1200 cars or whatever it was in GT6 is nice to have I guess, but also a bit silly. Mind you, all I’m bothered about is one car and that’s in the game - my beloved Golf MKVIi GTI :) It’s also got my favourite track, Brands Hatch, so I’m sorted! Be nice to take the vision GTI around the ‘ring though as well.

Oh man, you’re sorted then!
Fair play.

That’s the situation I want to be in :-(

I have my TV/ Audio rig in my games room.
I have the Nurburgring in the game.

All I want now is my AMG :guilty:

Double posting is when two posts from the same person appear in a row. It's frowned upon here. It might be different elsewhere but you did sign upto the AUP when you joined.

So every time I want to add something, I have to edit my previous post?
So I’m forever editing one post?
Or I have to wait until someone “breaks” my chain of posts so I can post again?
That’s ridiculous.

Does North Korea run this forum?:confused:

Or I have to wait until someone “breaks” my chain of posts so I can post again?

Look at it this way: there's a set number of posts per page (30). By repeatedly double-posting, you're stretching out a discussion for all other readers, because you're essentially lowering the number of posts per page.

It's just a courtesy thing, really. That's why the Edit button exists, as well as the +Quote button, to respond to multiple people in a single post.

Does North Korea run this forum?:confused:

Comparing a very simple request to a brutal regime is not going to get you very far here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back