GTSport: Online vs Offline - Which Way Does GTP Swing. Read OP before answering.

Which is more important to you Offline or Online gaming?

• Offline.

Votes: 88 50.3%
  • Online.

Votes: 34 19.4%
  • Equally Both.

Votes: 53 30.3%

• Total voters
Wales
Wales
ARC_rono_thomas
There's an interesting discussion within the GTSport general discussion thread regarding the popularity of offline gaming vs online gaming.

So here's a simple poll to determine which way GTP swings, please answer the poll as your gaming habits dictate.

I'm fascinated to find out to which side the cookie will crumble so to speak.

So the aim is to arrive at some hard figures, to eliminate any alienation of any opinions please limit the debate to the GTSport general discussion, any and all veiws are welcome, just the agreement or disagreement with such views please direct to the above mentioned thread.

Thanks in advance,

Rono.

i would say, for GT Sport specifically, offline, because i travel to many places where internet isnt available. Right now, the tests and challenges is not a proper career mode like previous games. Online may be important to mostly everyone else and i understand, but i just hope i can have access to all other content of the game without being connected to the internet.

I voted both. I think the results obtained here however will not be indicative of the gaming population as a whole. I would assume we would be much more likely to spend more time on line than the average punter.
No question. In no way, shape or form, is this community representative of the GT playing population as a whole.

Speaking only for my personal situation, but I buy Gran Turismo games almost purely for the offline. That wasn't the case once, but in the years since GT5 I've got a PC and a bunch of games and have gotten into online communities that suit me just fine. I don't need another online game, nor do I particularly think that GTS would do online any better than anything else. What I would like is a good simulation-esque single player experience. I really like the original zero-to-hero build your own monster Skyline approach that Gran Turismo had, and I'd love to have a modern game like that.

It's why this is possibly the first GT that I don't buy, and why I'm at least hanging off until after release so that I can see what the game actually contains and whether it's going to suit my needs. There's a couple of gaps in my racing game collection that it could fill, but they're for single player experiences.

Online. It's much more fun to play against real people, at least when there's a rule-base which enforces clean driving.

iRacing is the best show-case for such a system. In that game, not only will colliding with others cause severe damage to your own car, give you penalties in the current race and to your driving license - which may eventually get downgraded, disabling you from entering races with faster cars - but if do do it on purpose all the time, you'll even get banned, because it violates iRacing's Terms of Use / Sporting Code. When you play iRacing, you're legally required to not drive like a jerk! :lol:

I'm very curious how Polyphony Digital will handle the online driving experience. I hope the rules they implement won't go soft on penalizing idiots, otherwise the experience won't be better than driving against AI.

Even though most of my time spent in GT5 and GT6 was offline (at least 35,000 miles offline), I did it because online seemed daunting to me and I didn't want to put in the effort to find the right people to race against. I'm playing online more now than I ever have in a racing game. I don't play GTA online. The most time I've spent online in any game is Halo 3. I skipped the campaign and headed straight to matchmaking. GTS looks like it'll be my Halo 3.

Speaking only for my personal situation, but I buy Gran Turismo games almost purely for the offline. That wasn't the case once, but in the years since GT5 I've got a PC and a bunch of games and have gotten into online communities that suit me just fine. I don't need another online game, nor do I particularly think that GTS would do online any better than anything else. What I would like is a good simulation-esque single player experience. I really like the original zero-to-hero build your own monster Skyline approach that Gran Turismo had, and I'd love to have a modern game like that.

It's why this is possibly the first GT that I don't buy, and why I'm at least hanging off until after release so that I can see what the game actually contains and whether it's going to suit my needs. There's a couple of gaps in my racing game collection that it could fill, but they're for single player experiences.
I've gone the opposite direction as you with GT; I've only ever played it offline, learning how to drift as I was literally learning how to drive. And when I do upgrade my PC, it'll be for a certain few games and not a library, if that makes sense.

Both are equally important to me. Even though I've spent most of my time racing offline in GT6(only because I can barely find any good lobbies)I do enjoy online racing a good bit.

Taking this into account and the results so far, Sony/PD's punt seem even more undeniably stupid, and thats coming from one of the few that are happy with their new direction.
To be honest with you I am amazed at the results so far. I can't quite believe it. One can only imagine how the general gaming population would vote. Seems like an even bigger risk they are taking in light of your poll. It'll be very interesting to see how many are regularly competing online 6 months after release. I assume that immediately after release it will be very busy, who knows if that will last however.

Offline here also... the votes currently sure tell a story of how GTS might do when released if it is basically a total online game experience. Personally I think the lack of offline play could also be a result of stopping the hacking of the GT series games as well as the DLC real money costs. Many GT fans have been spoiled with the likes of codebreaking disks for GT4 and garage editor for GT5 and so on which allow one to almost design the game to their own liking. I plead the 5th on that...

But, but... wouldn't your nick "2_FAST_4_U" have even more meaning, much more, if you included online equally to your current offline diet?

jk, ofc :)

. Many GT fans have been spoiled with the likes of codebreaking disks for GT4 and garage editor for GT5
I use the garage editor to get cars i cant get by normal means(red bull 5G) or cars locked behind higher level events like the 24 HR races. yeah i am spoiled, but i wont hack or mod to get an unfair advantage over others.

Offline here also... the votes currently sure tell a story of how GTS might do when released if it is basically a total online game experience. Personally I think the lack of offline play could also be a result of stopping the hacking of the GT series games as well as the DLC real money costs. Many GT fans have been spoiled with the likes of codebreaking disks for GT4 and garage editor for GT5 and so on which allow one to almost design the game to their own liking. I plead the 5th on that...
Why would PD or Sony care about "hacking" when they are moving 12 million copies of a game?

I can't decide because there are good and bad elements for both types. Some games have given me great moments offline, whilst others have given me great moments online. Driving with AI can be frustrating, so to for real people. The opposite also applies though. When everything in an online lobby goes right, it is great fun but when it doesn't go well, you feel like you've wasted your time and get angry. Yet some AI are too slow (GT5 and GT6) and make for some really boring races. However, some of my best races have occurred online - and some of the worst. Sorry but I just don't know.

I can't decide because there are good and bad elements for both types. Some games have given me great moments offline, whilst others have given me great moments online. Driving with AI can be frustrating, so to for real people. The opposite also applies though. When everything in an online lobby goes right, it is great fun but when it doesn't go well, you feel like you've wasted your time and get angry. Yet some AI are too slow (GT5 and GT6) and make for some really boring races. However, some of my best races have occurred online - and some of the worst. Sorry but I just don't know.
The whole idea here is that if you have both options available and one isn't working, you go to the other and hope for the best. With only one real option, if it isn't working well, you're crap out of luck and stuck racing in arcade mode in races that may be fun for a while, but have no real meaning because you aren't racing in a series or a championship and not working towards any goals. That's something you can do in any other game like PCars2 or AC and with much, much better AI, physics and sound.

I play offline only, I don't even have PS+ So I wonder how much I'll be able to do in GTS aside from time trials and scapes once I do all the license tests. Will find out soon enough.

Offline was fun for me.....during the PS1 era with in GT1 and 2, Medal of Honor, Tekken, PES, Fifa and so on. Split screen included to play with friends.
Then multiplayer games started to pop up in 1999 and early 2000's.
There's no going back for me (except a few titles that are all about the single player experience). I don't see why keep playing against a boring scripted AI when I can play against people from all over the world.
I rarely play GT offline, only for credits, accomplishments etc..certainly not because I enjoy it.

Last edited:
Although not representative of the gaming community as a whole, it's still interesting to see the results of this thread. With the big discussion about online being so popular, and the norm much more so than offline gaming, you figured the polls would have reflected that.

I prefer both. Sometimes I just like to get away from the minefield that can be online-gaming. A good career mode goes a long way, in my opinion.

I swing to offline more because racing with the general public tends to end up as a complete mess many times. Offline racing must always remain important and can provide way more fun than any online mode, no matter how well crafted the multiplayer is.

wow.. I'm pretty shocked by the results :eek: I never thought so many people still actually prefer offline racing. I mean, you can drive with your friends and better yet, you can now race people with very similar driving skill... Maybe after GT Sport, people will start to like online gaming more.
Doubtful. Online is a minority thing. Offline is the majority position. Look at the Trophies for race games you own and see how many race online as apposed to how many play online in other game types. Assetto Corso, for example, only requires ONE lap to be completed in an online race. 15.1% completion.

Whilst yes its not representative of the whole gaming population I expected still a different result within GTP.

I've had my hat handed to me, and I'm currently chewing.

Latest Posts

Back