Anyone else feel ripped off?

• Thread starter LVracerGT
  • 744 comments
Exactly! Kaz needs to realize that while technically this IS his vision of a perfect racing game, he needs to consider what his massive fanbase considers to be a perfect racing game as well.

And each different person has their own ideas regarding that, so by giving us as many options as possible, we can then each customize our Gran Turismo experience according to our own preferences. Everyone's a winner!

Sorry, I can't help if you don't buy the PS3 limitiation issue, I'm just repeating what PD through Kazunori-san has said, plus my own understanding from a logical viewpoint - plus it does appear to be quite well accepted here on this forum.

As for the second point - did not not read the news item that mentioned how much of GT6 has been built anew, including the game engine. I will dig up the link shortly if you don't believe me. Frankly though, I'm getting fed up of pointless debates. I understand you want a better game, but it was announced well before launch that this would be a game that would get regular updates to bring everythin they can upto par. If you're not going to accept that or at least wait until a few more months and updates have passed - then why did you get the game so early if it's a completed game you wanted?

I don't buy the PS3 limitation issue with facts provided. You're stating you think it's a valid point by "repeating what PD has said" and because it's widely accepted on this forum. Well first, of course PD is going to say this to cover themselves. That's not hard to figure out, but as I've stated the evidence says otherwise. As for the latter point, I suppose you believed the world was going to end in 2012 since a majority of people believed that as well? Just because the "majority" believes something doesn't make it true.

As for the second paragraph quoted above, PD stated at the GT5 release that GT6 was already being worked on, and it's been stated and proven GT6 is built off of GT5. Sure some things were re-worked, but not everything which still gives GT6 a huge head start over GT5. So basically 3 years of development on top of a game which already had 5-6 years of development. And yes, it was announced that GT6 would get regular updates to bring new content, not patches to get the game to a stable state and where it should have been at release. That's a BIG difference there.

These aren't pointless debates, I suspect you only think so because the argument isn't going in your favor.

I haven't actually played GTA V - just going on what others on another forum who have played it said. I don't doubt the amount of content within the map is high, my point though was that an action game has a completely different design ethos to a driving game and cannot really be compared; and even these have suffered 'shrinkage' from previous versions due to console demands.

The point being made is the developers ability to extract the most from the PS3. GTAV was primarily developed for and showcased before launch on the PS3. Yes, they are different genre's but the fact remains. I highly suggest you pick up a copy of GTAV and look at what Rockstar was able to accomplish in 5 years. Then think about how long GT5/6 has been in development for and the state of those titles comparatively.

If GT6 were as good as everyone here keeps defending it as, it would have been in contention for Game Of The Year right along side GTAV and The Last Of Us. But it's not, and it's painfully obvious as to why.

Last edited:
I do not feel "ripped off" as $60 (or 470 Danish Kroner) is relatively cheap for a game You can play for months and months...BUT I would like PD to do it better of course...Some of my cars can`t brake in a straight line without crashing, some cars get miscoloured on camera view replay and dozens of other annoying failures...But ripped off....nooo...

But I DO feel we´re all test dummies for an unfinished GT5 update.. GT6 is GT51.1 no doubt about it. Sad thing is that the things GT5 did BAD, GT6 does worse, AND the things that were fine with GT5 has become bad in GT6, so to speak...But ripped off....noooo. I`m having fun for a cheap price, and sometimes I get frustrated too, but it`s all included in the price...hmmm

I spend a couple of hours each night on career mode, soon ending International A... In a short time I will try out online race rooms; hope they get better than people here say... Not tried it yet, in GT5 I had a lot of good online racing nights, INCLUDING lots of errors with the servers, hopes are high on GT6 online... Looking forward to it, could have raced online for a month now, but still waiting...

If GT6 were as good as everyone here keeps defending it as, it would have been in contention for Game Of The Year right along side GTAV and The Last Of Us. But it's not, and it's painfully obvious as to why.

Because it's not a shooter / action-adventure game. Has a driving game ever won a Game Of The Year award? Any game without weapons has a minimal chance of winning such titles :P

Edit: Yep. Gran Turismo won one in 1997 (Moby Games, Game Of The Year).
And "Out Run" (whatever that is) in 1987 (Golden Joystick Award).
Mario Kart Wii in 2009 (Japan Game Award).

Edit 2: Mario Kart Wii disqualified, it got weapons.

Last edited:
Sorry, I can't help if you don't buy the PS3 limitiation issue, I'm just repeating what PD through Kazunori-san has said, plus my own understanding from a logical viewpoint - plus it does appear to be quite well accepted here on this forum.

One cannot deny that hardware limitations exist..that's a given. Thing is, a lot of the changes people were expecting or would like to see have nothing to do with hardware limitations and more with basic game design and playability. In GT5 you could copy one tune sheet onto another, saving tons of time in making multiple tunes or making small adjustments without losing the base tune. Is it a hardware limitation that caused it to be left out of GT6? A difficulty slider and a race distance option for Offline? What hardware limits that? Camber not working is that hardware? SRF forced on in some events? SRF allowed in TT's?

There are dozens of these niggling little issues, many of which existed in GT5 and were fixed but somehow left out of GT6. Has nothing to do with hardware limitations and everything to do with game design. Hardware limitations explain why you can't have 24 cars on the track at once not why I can't scale my mini-map to allow me to see who is all around me on the track at a given point.

SRF forced on in some events? SRF allowed in TT's?

I can kind of understand SRF enabled in TT's, what I don't get is how most of the license tests have it welded on??

These 'niggles' ain't unknown and enough time has passed to iron them out, or does no one from polyphony listen to their customers?

I can kind of understand SRF enabled in TT's, what I don't get is how most of the license tests have it welded on??

These 'niggles' ain't unknown and enough time has passed to iron them out, or does no one from polyphony listen to their customers?
To me it actually makes the least sense in the TT's. GT advertises itself as the "real driving simulator" not the "real arcade racer". The TT's are worldwide competitions, presumably in part to highlight the "simulation" aspect of the game and showcase the glorious physics model. Then they go and allow SRF which overrides the wonderful physics model of the cars and gives you magic grip and you can't be competitive without it, so almost everyone uses it. I understand it helps the lesser drivers obtain gold, but there are other ways of making it just as easy for them without resorting to making all the contests arcade-like.

...As for the latter point, I suppose you believed the world was going to end in 2012 since a majority of people believed that as well?
The two situations are hardly comparable now, are they? And for the record, no I didn't, despite being interested in the Mayan calendar thing a decade before 'the masses' even got to hear about it - even so, there were only a few thousands who seemed to take it that seriously.

I believe things based on the facts and information available, not because it's popular - I'd have thought by my stance that was obvious.

...These aren't pointless debates, I suspect you only think so because the argument isn't going in your favor...
Who said that they were? Not me. I'm fine with you having your own thoughts on the matter - I'm not going to agree though, not when you say things that are contrary to what PD have released.

Too late in the year, and I agree with eran0004, driving games are too niche to make it that far nowadays, not in view of the shift in the gamers' scene over the past six or so years.

One cannot deny that hardware limitations exist..that's a given. Thing is, a lot of the changes people were expecting or would like to see have nothing to do with hardware limitations and more with basic game design and playability. In GT5 you could copy one tune sheet onto another, saving tons of time in making multiple tunes or making small adjustments without losing the base tune. Is it a hardware limitation that caused it to be left out of GT6? A difficulty slider and a race distance option for Offline? What hardware limits that? Camber not working is that hardware? SRF forced on in some events? SRF allowed in TT's?

There are dozens of these niggling little issues, many of which existed in GT5 and were fixed but somehow left out of GT6. Has nothing to do with hardware limitations and everything to do with game design. Hardware limitations explain why you can't have 24 cars on the track at once not why I can't scale my mini-map to allow me to see who is all around me on the track at a given point.
My thinking is that certain things had to go, possibly to free up capacity on the areas PD deemed most important, such as graphics and UI speed.

Last edited:
My thinking is that certain things had to go, possibly to free up capacity on the areas PD deemed most important, such as graphics and UI speed.
For the big stuff yes, for the small (tiny) stuff I'm not buying it. It's game design. PD isn't looking at the big picture. They still think a "one size fits all" philosophy is best for most things. Maybe in 1999 it was but not now. We need options, difficulty settings, sliders and a ton of small things to make the game more enjoyable and give it more long term playability.

For the big stuff yes, for the small (tiny) stuff I'm not buying it. It's game design. PD isn't looking at the big picture. They still think a "one size fits all" philosophy is best for most things. Maybe in 1999 it was but not now. We need options, difficulty settings, sliders and a ton of small things to make the game more enjoyable and give it more long term playability.
I have to agree about the small stuff, but I'm half-expecting-hoping some of it, like shuffle will make a return with the relevant updates.

The two situations are hardly comparable now, are they? And for the record, no I didn't, despite being interested in the Mayan calendar thing a decade before 'the masses' even got to hear about it - even so, there were only a few thousands who seemed to take it that seriously.

You completely missed my point, instead taking it literally. Just showing your selective thought process to argue for PD.

Who said that they were? Not me.

Um......

As for the second point - did not not read the news item that mentioned how much of GT6 has been built anew, including the game engine. I will dig up the link shortly if you don't believe me. Frankly though, I'm getting fed up of pointless debates. I understand you want a better game, but it was announced well before launch that this would be a game that would get regular updates to bring everythin they can upto par. If you're not going to accept that or at least wait until a few more months and updates have passed - then why did you get the game so early if it's a completed game you wanted?

Yes you did.

Because it's not a shooter / action-adventure game. Has a driving game ever won a Game Of The Year award? Any game without weapons has a minimal chance of winning such titles :P

Edit: Yep. Gran Turismo won one in 1997 (Moby Games, Game Of The Year).
And "Out Run" (whatever that is) in 1987 (Golden Joystick Award).

You already proved yourself wrong, but do racing games not win because they're racing games? Or because racing games are not as innovative and worthy of such an award.

The vast majority of my game library is made up of racing games, but even I can't deny that the stereotype that "all racing games are the same" has a lot of truth to it. You'll never see a me-too shooter win a game of the year either, because it's just a clone of better games. TLoU (and the Uncharted series this gen) took a lot of things about the action/adventure genre and really optimised them, from storytelling to controls and gameplay. GTA V did a similar thing with the open world genre, it's taken all the best ideas and made them a little bit better.

GT6 is yet to even incorporate all the best ideas from GT5. There's no way it could be in consideration for GotY, regardless of whether it was a racing game or not.

It wasn't even really a good idea in the 90's, but it was more acceptable then because a lot of the game industry was still just migrating on from a lot of game types (like platformers) that generally by default didn't have difficulty levels.

This is getting ridiculous. The thing that irritates me most in this thread is that people here act as if PD committed a horrible sin against god by not catering to one whiny fan.

Yes GT6 has issues, lots of games do nowadays because they can get away with releasing games early with online patches. And it's hard to tell if PD know them or not because communication isn't one of their strong suits. But in no way do I feel ripped off at all. So what if there isn't much content? There can only be more, and I think the career mode has pretty good replay value. And why on earth are people saying 5 is better? Just because it has a few more special events and endurance racing? Despite the significantly crappier physics engine and that none of the cars from previous games got a makeover? Yes, 6 suffers from that too, but at least they started somewhere with the semi-premiums and all that. Not to mention night racing is actually freaking possible now since you can see well out of the high beams.

If anything, I blame the game industry in general for what GT6's current status is. Game companies can get away now with releasing games that are incomplete, just saying they can finish them in online updates. I seriously can't imagine 5 was much better when it launched, but I haven't had it that long so I wouldn't know. The positive thing about 6 is that it can only further improve, and I eagerly anticipate that.

So S**t on me however you want for this, all I can say is "I'm sorry you feel that way."

You already proved yourself wrong

No, I didn't. Out of hundreds of "Game of the Year" awards, I only found two that were awarded to driving/racing games: One to some obscure title from 1987 that's even more arcade than space invaders, and the other to the first Gran Turismo. Probably 90% of the winners were shooter or aventure games, with the odd Sims and Guitar Hero now and then. It shows that if the game doesn't have weapons, it needs to be pretty darn groundbreaking to win an award. And as such, the lack of game of the year awards to GT6 doesn't say much about the quality of the game. I bet that even if GT6 would have been the most epic of epic racing simulators it still wouldn't even have gotten nominated, because the gaming community as a whole isn't very interested in racing, or other simulators.

I mean, would you say that Mario Kart Wii (won an award) is a better game than Gran Turismo 5 or Forza 4 (won no awards)? Using awards as an indicator of how good a game is doesn't take you very far. That's what's been proven here.

Edit: And no, I don't feel ripped off. I returned briefly to GT5 today to send a car to someone, and it took ten minutes to load the friend list. The improved loading times are by themselves enough to make GT6 a good purchase for me.

This is getting ridiculous. The thing that irritates me most in this thread is that people here act as if PD committed a horrible sin against god by not catering to one whiny fan.

Yes GT6 has issues, lots of games do nowadays because they can get away with releasing games early with online patches. And it's hard to tell if PD know them or not because communication isn't one of their strong suits. But in no way do I feel ripped off at all. So what if there isn't much content? There can only be more, and I think the career mode has pretty good replay value. And why on earth are people saying 5 is better? Just because it has a few more special events and endurance racing? Despite the significantly crappier physics engine and that none of the cars from previous games got a makeover? Yes, 6 suffers from that too, but at least they started somewhere with the semi-premiums and all that. Not to mention night racing is actually freaking possible now since you can see well out of the high beams.

If anything, I blame the game industry in general for what GT6's current status is. Game companies can get away now with releasing games that are incomplete, just saying they can finish them in online updates. I seriously can't imagine 5 was much better when it launched, but I haven't had it that long so I wouldn't know. The positive thing about 6 is that it can only further improve, and I eagerly anticipate that.

So S**t on me however you want for this, all I can say is "I'm sorry you feel that way."
You yourself said:

The game has issues.
PD probably doesn't know about those issues because their communications suck.
There isn't much content but you don't care.
You don't think endurance racing and more special events is important.

Can you not see how those things might be really important to some people, especially long term fans who want to see growth in the series and not stagnation or moving backwards? Can you not put yourself in their shoes and see how their frustration might be building?

You yourself said:

The game has issues.
PD probably doesn't know about those issues because their communications suck.
There isn't much content but you don't care.
You don't think endurance racing and more special events is important.

Can you not see how those things might be really important to some people, especially long term fans who want to see growth in the series and not stagnation or moving backwards? Can you not put yourself in their shoes and see how their frustration might be building?
I didn't say I didn't care for one thing. I just think the pros outweigh the cons.

And as a long term GT fan myself yeah I can see where they're coming from. I just like to focus on the positive things and hope PD actually listen to our feedback.

I didn't say I didn't care for one thing. I just think the pros outweigh the cons.

And as a long term GT fan myself yeah I can see where they're coming from. I just like to focus on the positive things and hope PD actually listen to our feedback.

you'd think people who feel ripped off would stop playing a game they dread???
Logic says otherwise here i guess.

i've been trying to understand many of the complaints, and while i agree with many concerns, sadly the bulk of what angers people in the game does not bother me.
hell, i can drive around all day willow springs with my espirit all day long if i could. throw some shots down and just have a crap eating grin on my face as i hit that massive turn at the end of the lap.

Sadly, people have crazy expectations for the game.
It's not wrong to expect that as a paying customer, hell you are paying the money to be entertained.
I on the other hand do not have many expectations.

I am enjoying the game, the ffb on my wheel, and the fact that i can just marvel at cars with my custom music playing.
and while the game has always called itself a real driving simulator, i've never looked at the game that way. you can only attempt to simulate aspects of cars on tracks (and i applaud pd ffb on this particular gt), if you really want to race then it's a heavy investment to get a car working and proper safe manners in which to drive it.

(and that's another rant, if you really want the full experience you need a wheel (and that is a heavy investment to ask someone))

just don't tell people here that you're having fun, god forbid you like something you payed with your own money.
or you know what, just go play some gt6 or do something else.

you'd think people who feel ripped off would stop playing a game they dread???
Logic says otherwise here i guess.

i've been trying to understand many of the complaints, and while i agree with many concerns, sadly the bulk of what angers people in the game does not bother me.
hell, i can drive around all day willow springs with my espirit all day long if i could. throw some shots down and just have a crap eating grin on my face as i hit that massive turn at the end of the lap.

Sadly, people have crazy expectations for the game.
It's not wrong to expect that as a paying customer, hell you are paying the money to be entertained.
I on the other hand do not have many expectations.

I am enjoying the game, the ffb on my wheel, and the fact that i can just marvel at cars with my custom music playing.
and while the game has always called itself a real driving simulator, i've never looked at the game that way. you can only attempt to simulate aspects of cars on tracks (and i applaud pd ffb on this particular gt), if you really want to race then it's a heavy investment to get a car working and proper safe manners in which to drive it.

(and that's another rant, if you really want the full experience you need a wheel (and that is a heavy investment to ask someone))

just don't tell people here that you're having fun, god forbid you like something you payed with your own money.
or you know what, just go play some gt6 or do something else.
Translation for those that don't want to read the entire post:

"I have low expectations so I'm easily satisfied and therefore GT6 is fine with me"

If you play 6 and have spent any time on 5 and can truly say they did a great job on this game we have different opinions,which we should all respect,but i would almost have been more satisfied with a copy of gt4 with online play and updated physics for ps3 . Really i dont see much of anything improved or smoother other than access to the options menu the rest of the u i sucks . Ripped off no let down because i know they could do better yes. Will it be a factor in my purchase of PS4 ,probably just the way i roll :) If we let Sony push whatever they want down our throat we ll be doing the whole 80s atari 2600 thing allover . Yes im to old to be bitching about video games on the internet but I earned that 60$ i feel like sony didnt.

Pfft. I still don't feel ripped off, I go for content anyday by the week. Although I usually never feel ripped off by games I buy, but I am careful what I buy though. Maybe if GT6 had "OHHH DEM GRAPHIX" maybe some people here wouldn't feel ripped off. It's all about graphics nowadays...

I may not play GT6 too often, due to the Coruse Maker and Community features still missing (and me working on my comic), but I am satisfied with my purchase because I knew, what I was getting myself into with GT6.

Last edited:
Feeling 'ripped off' has a far different meaning to 'not being completely satisfied with the content'...

I'm sure the ones moaning on here about the small things have had their 'monies worth'.

"I have low expectations so I'm easily satisfied and therefore GT6 is fine with me"
That's a weak jab Mr Penso, I'd have expected better from you...

I'd understand it being a jab if I pulled it out of thin air but it's a near direct quote...

I on the other hand do not have many expectations

Back