Anyone I know here from the old days???

• Thread starter jrose
  • 34 comments
Hi everyone

Was playing GT2 when it was the current version.
There were 2 main websites:
'racing-line' and 'gold junkies'
I was with racing-line. Anyone here from those days?

I only ever did licence tests - fanatically!
Still got all 60 saved to mem card.
A guy called 'oldtimer' used to put these up for people on his website, so others could download them.
(You could only do this then if you had a PC)
Can I do this now with my Mac? How?

Must put my licence times up (GT1 and GT2) - where's the best place?

John Rose

I don't remember you, but I was a member at racing-line briefly, just after it changed hands. I forget the guy's name that took over, but boy was he a d:censored:k. People started quitting and getting banned from the site left and right. Then somebody hacked the precious racing lap records, by then I knew it was all over. :( I'm not sure what racing-line is like nowadays.

I remember Gold Junkies, too, altho by the time I started gaming (2004) with GT and GT2, it wasn't really the hot site to be at anymore. I hunted far and wide till I found GTplanet, the only GT site with an active GT and GT2 community. :)

I'm not sure about your other questions. I'm not obsessed enough with lap times and lowest license times, I'm afraid.

Last edited:
I've been using recently The Racers Edge
As I started to put online my old GT1 ,2 ,3 and 4 licence records online in 2007 .

Which leads to the next question.

Would you folks like to have a licence time leaderboard for GT1 ,2 and 3?

GT4 has alredy one , but previous ones don't, so..

let me know

regards

MadMax

jrose - At the time GT2 was "now", I was on the original GTX site (now defunct), migrating to GT3Times when GT3 was out and branching into GTNetwork, GT.de/GTRP, Goldjunkies, Racing-Line (may she rest in peace) and, finally, here.

I can't say I recall you, but I typed in indigo on every single one of those sites, so you may remember me. Though I suspect we probably missed crossing paths by the sounds of your timeline.

I was a member of racing line before it changed hands, but was never really too into it. All my times were mid-level at best, anyway. Your name is vaguely familiar, but probably just from seeing it while skimming through the records.

Also, the only way I am aware of to put your game saves up on the internet was through a Dex Drive, which I happen to have. It's an ugly gray thing that connects to your computer and has a slot for your memory card in the front. However, I don't have a working computer old enough to install it on, and Dex Drives seemed to be a bit rare even when they were being made, so you're likely out of luck.

...is that what you were asking about?

Also, since we seem to be listing our gt forum pedigrees... ;)

James1058's cheap, unnamed messageboard -> GTH/several dozen small GT ezboards/Granturismo/GTbtn/racingline, then later GTplanet, which is the only GT place I still visit regularly.

Hi again

Glad to hear from you all. I don't seem to know any of you and you don't remember me. Hmmm!
I THINK I used my own name then, John Rose.
I THINK I stopped playing soon after GT3 came out - I didn't like it! Maybe you guys came after I left.

I remember 'Des' - a top licence player
'Star' was considered to be the best all round driver then.
I did nothing but licences - want to see how my times stack up today.

John

Skynyrd said

Also, the only way I am aware of to put your game saves up on the internet was through a Dex Drive, which I happen to have. It's an ugly gray thing that connects to your computer and has a slot for your memory card in the front. However, I don't have a working computer old enough to install it on, and Dex Drives seemed to be a bit rare even when they were being made, so you're likely out of luck.

...is that what you were asking about?

YES! OK, that's defunct now.
So is it not possible now to upload and download Replay files? Can't someone upload a Replay to their website for someone else to download ???
If someone claims a fast licence time, how can it be checked?

MadMax86 said
As I started to put online my old GT1 ,2 ,3 and 4 licence records online in 2007 .

Thanks I'll take a look. Wonder if they check times?

John

YES! OK, that's defunct now.
So is it not possible now to upload and download Replay files? Can't someone upload a Replay to their website for someone else to download ???
If someone claims a fast licence time, how can it be checked?

For PS2 there is Maxdrive and I believe there is a way to
get PS1 saves transfered to PS1 MC thru maxdrive.

MadMax86 said

Thanks I'll take a look. Wonder if they check times?

John

The board is automated to not allow times under 9 seconds (bad for Drag Runs)
and they don't really check the times. But using common sense is allowed ,
when comparing licence records and laptime records.

And mostlikely some of the times at The Racers Edge are done by wallriding.
(which I'm quilty of in some cases)

Thought.. I'm a better clean driver now , than what I was back when I started there.

You can also use a PS3 with a memory card adapter to transfer PS2 and PS1 saved files, including replays, to flash memory devices.

I was on the Racer's Edge when it opened. I'm glad I never bothered filling in the rest of my times, to be honest.

Skynyrd wrote
You can also use a PS3 with a memory card adapter to transfer PS2 and PS1 saved files, including replays, to flash memory devices.

Don't have PS3, just PS2

MadMax86 wrote
For PS2 there is Maxdrive and I believe there is a way to
get PS1 saves transfered to PS1 MC thru maxdrive.

Hmmm. I looked around - about 20 UKPounds

John

jrose - Whereabouts are you? If you're relatively near me/someone I visit then I might be able to help you out. I have an XPort, a MaxDrive AND a PS3, so I'm pretty sorted for backup solutions :D

MadMax86 wrote

The board is automated to not allow times under 9 seconds (bad for Drag Runs)
and they don't really check the times. But using common sense is allowed ,
when comparing licence records and laptime records.

And mostlikely some of the times at The Racers Edge are done by wallriding.
(which I'm quilty of in some cases)

Thought.. I'm a better clean driver now , than what I was back when I started there.

Had a look at it and there is 1 obvious impossible time - B3
B1 and B2 are dubious too. I wonder if anyone ever tried to contact them through the "feedback" message?
You need to be sure that a time is genuine, before you spend a lot of your own time trying to beat a fictitious record.

Wallriding was always allowed for GT2 at racing-line and gold junkies I think, so my licence times include wallriding. (maybe 10 licences)
When GT3 came out wallriding was banned in a vote by members.

John

Welcome to GTP, John

I don't recall you from the past, but it was only from GT3 onwards that I started participating on GT forums, mainly GT3Times, GTN, Racing Line and here.

I can't say I recall you, but I typed in indigo on every single one of those sites, so you may remember me.
With a brief sojourn into cyan when GT3Times changed it's background to black...

Famine wrote

jrose - Whereabouts are you? If you're relatively near me/someone I visit then I might be able to help you out. I have an XPort, a MaxDrive AND a PS3, so I'm pretty sorted for backup solutions

Hi! and thanks for the offer! I am from England, but only return there to visit my Mother in Surrey. I have sold my house in England, and I'm in the South of Spain at the moment!

What am I doing on this forum??? Not sure myself.
Nostalgia trip? Yes, maybe.
Before GT2 becomes so retro that nobody remembers it anymore, I thought I would make my GT1 and GT2 licence replays available for anyone interested. Can't think of a humble way to say this, but at the time I stopped playing, maybe 6 months after GT3 came out, I had these records:
GT1 - 15 of the 24 licence tests
GT2 - 51 of the 60 licence tests

Just shows what a dummy like me can do if you spend/waste 4 hours every night for months and months on end, just doing licence tests!

So if anyone wants to see these out of interest or to improve their time to get a gold maybe, I wanted to make them available by some method of downloading from a website, but as you can tell, i'm not into the tech side of things.

John

Spain? It'd probably take me as long to fly to Spain as drive to Surrey :lol:

If you want to post your memory card(s) over, I can take the replays off for you and mail it back.

You know, now that I think of it, the name "jrose" does stir some faint memory. I've probly read a few posts of yours somewhere.

Last edited:
Famine said:
If you want to post your memory card(s) over, I can take the replays off for you and mail it back.

How will this work then? Will you upload the replays to a website for others to download? Will they need the Maxdrive thingy?

First I'll need to back these up, so I'll need to buy 2 mem cards for the 60 licence replays.
I wonder if I can easily buy these here in Spain at a sensible price???

Posting is easy enough, there's an English place here for sending stuff.

John

I'd take 'em (and anything else you want) from the cards, then zip 'em up and e-mail the zip to you.

Alternatively, you can get a MaxDrive from Amazon for £18 which might be cheaper for you than buying two memory cards and the postage :lol:

I'd take 'em (and anything else you want) from the cards, then zip 'em up and e-mail the zip to you.

Alternatively, you can get a MaxDrive from Amazon for £18 which might be cheaper for you than buying two memory cards and the postage

Thanks again for the offer of help!
Most businesses will only deliver goods to your home address, which could be a problem for me here in Spain.

So, assume I have the zipped files, what are the options for someone to get them from me and transfer to their mem card?
1) Someone emails me and I send file as email attachment - not sure I want the hassle.
2) I put the file on a webpage of a website I have (a webpage not linked to this website which is a photography site)
Having got the zipped file, I presume they must have this Maxdrive to transfer it to a memcard?

Maybe, I should check whether anybody wants to see these replays before I go any further ???
I could start a new thread and say I'm making them available, then put up some times and see from any feedback whether there's any interest to download them

John

Yes, in order to pull down .max files to a memory card, you'd need a MaxDrive. I suppose the sensible option would be to put them as PS3 files - though again, people would need a PS3 Memory Card Adapter (about £12) to transfer them to a memory card (or not, to transfer them to an internal PS1 memory card set on the PS3 hard drive).

There are gamesave convertors out there, so if you were to get the MaxDrive and pull your PS1 saves, you could convert them to .max, or .xps/.sps (XPort/Sharkport), or PS3 format to allow people to take whatever format they want for their own purposes.

As you say, the interest in GT1/2 is... well... somewhat slim. It's now just a piece of history which, while we enjoyed it at the time, can't hold a candle to even GT4 in terms of physics, graphics or even playability. It may not be worth your time, let alone your money.

Yes, in order to pull down .max files to a memory card, you'd need a MaxDrive. I suppose the sensible option would be to put them as PS3 files - though again, people would need a PS3 Memory Card Adapter (about £12) to transfer them to a memory card (or not, to transfer them to an internal PS1 memory card set on the PS3 hard drive).

There are gamesave convertors out there, so if you were to get the MaxDrive and pull your PS1 saves, you could convert them to .max, or .xps/.sps (XPort/Sharkport), or PS3 format to allow people to take whatever format they want for their own purposes.

Maybe when I return to England in 2 or 3 months, I could send you the mem cards to make these files for me? I need to check I have mem card back-ups in England first - I can't risk what may be my only copies of the Replays in the post.

As you say, the interest in GT1/2 is... well... somewhat slim. It's now just a piece of history which, while we enjoyed it at the time, can't hold a candle to even GT4 in terms of physics, graphics or even playability. It may not be worth your time, let alone your money.

History can be interesting. (maybe???)
Anyway, I'm interested to know if any of my 51 GT2 licence records have been beaten.
I never enjoyed GT3 or GT4 as much as GT2.
(although GT4 is worth it just for the Nurburgring)

Another thing, anyone got all licence golds in GT 1,2,3 and 4 ?

Maybe I'll put up my GT2 licence times to see if there is any interest.

John

Well, I'm always happy to help out.

A few people have all-golds in the 4 full GT releases - if you check at Goldjunkies (probably http://www.goldjunkies.com/ but not necessarily) you can see who has registered with golds in which games. Flinx I recall as having golds in all 4. I've got golds in 3 & 4 and keep going back to try for more in 1 & 2, but it's only so long until the graphics and digital inputs get the better of me and I descend into a sweary rant.

I know I never registered at the gold junkies site. What I do know is that I have all golds from GT through GT4. If I could find the mem cards, I may have an idea as to where they are. I'd be more than happy to post them up. :)

I dont' remember you, but i was a member at racing-line briefly, jsut after it changed hands. I forget the guy's name that took over, but boy was he a d:censored:k. People started quitting and getting banned from the site left and right. Then somebody hacked the precious racing lap records, by then i knew it was all over. :( I'm not sure what racing-line is like nowadays.

I think that may have been shifter that took over, cant be 100% sure but I reckon I'm right. Comes from Aus. if I remember rightly.
You are right, he was a c**k

I've got all golden licences in GT1 ,3 and 4
At GT2 I have the Licence test in this post only silver.
Even thought My time at it is 1'13.3xx ..and gold limit is 1'13.000 in PAL version

It would be great if we could revive GT1,2 and 3 licence test competing.

regards

MadMax

Sorry for double post,

Informing you guys:

I have opened a GT1 Licence thread Here.

Maybe in a week or two I'm opening GT2 Licence thread.

regards

MadMax

Thought I'd drop in for a quick visit as I've recently been able to get hold of GT1 + 2 in really good condition from a 2nd hand/pre owned local game shop. The Original receipt was in the middle of the GT2 book and it was purchased brand new for £34.99 on the 5/2/2000!

Shifter killed Racing Line. Pedro, Des, Dodo a few others and myself ended up either here or at Tosk's forum however I don't recall the name John. I came to RL when GT3 was released.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shifter killed Racing Line. Pedro, Des, Dodo a few others and myself ended up either here or at Tosk's forum however I don't recall the name John. I came to RL when GT3 was released.

I was in racing-line when GT3 came out.
Des? If you mean Des Lim from Australia, he was a good friend of mine as we had friendly rivalry with GT2 licence times.

John Rose

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Posts

Back