Anyone I know here from the old days???

• Thread starter jrose
  • 34 comments
As you say, the interest in GT1/2 is... well... somewhat slim. It's now just a piece of history which, while we enjoyed it at the time, can't hold a candle to even GT4 in terms of physics, graphics or even playability. It may not be worth your time, let alone your money.
Backtracking, but whoa whoa whoa wait a minute there oh indigo one!

GT1, as a GAME, is by far the best in the series. I'd even be willing to say GT1 is the best game of all time. I can't get into GT4 the same way as GT1. GT1 may not have had the car selection or graphics or physics that the modern games so proudly flaunt, but it is indeed more of a game. I think PD as of late has forgot in some respects that Gran Turismo is a GAME, not real life. I mean, 24 hour endurance races? What? I find myself more entertained with GT1 by far. It has a solidity to it, great presentation (intro, bro :drool:), and a beautiful quality of playability. Given a free week, I bet just about anyone could beat it. It also has a great replay value. While in GT4, after beating it, I'd imagine most people would just spend their time tuning cars, I could see someone picking up GT1 and playing through the entire game again. It's just that good.

Though of course, this is all just my opinion...

Oddly, I was playing GT1 (and 2) just the other week. The on/off steering and comedy oversteer drove me nuts within a half hour :lol:

Especially in 1, the physics are very arcadey when you compare them to 4 (haven't played 5 yet, so I wouldn't know). But I agree with HACKr, the game is extremely fun.

Shifter killed Racing Line. Pedro, Des, Dodo a few others and myself ended up either here or at Tosk's forum however I don't recall the name John. I came to RL when GT3 was released.

Yea, like I said, I showed up at Racing Line just as Shifter took over. This would have been in the fall of 2004. I asked Shifter to take a look at my car reviews site, which he dug. He asked me if I'd be willing to review various racing games and write about them for the R/L, and I tentatively agreed, while wondering how I was gonna pony up time & cash to track down all these games.

Well little did I know, the entire site was about to go into revolt over Shifter's draconian behavior & policies. 95% of the members got banned, quit (publicly quit!), or stopped showing up. The other 5% sided with Shifter (people started calling them his "goons", remember that?) :lol:

Since I had been friendly towards Shifter initially, I got a bit of flaming myself, but really; I was innocent--I had literally just shown up at Racing Line. ...and I tiptoed quietly away. :scared: back to safety here at GTP.

Oddly, I was playing GT1 (and 2) just the other week. The on/off steering and comedy oversteer drove me nuts within a half hour :lol:

That's where I'm at, too. Although I really dig GT1 and appreciate it to the upmost, and I still think it's fun, those physics really are other-worldly. :indiff: They bother me too much. I mean...flick your steering just a tad, and you've got yourself 100% controllable oversteer/drifting. Another flick of countersteer, and it's gone! :lol: I can't believe I used to think GT1 was realistic.

But as a game, it's still tops, as HACKr says. Plus, if you compare GT1 to other games from the times, it really does feel more realisitc. There are some elements of GT1 I wish PD would bring back, but it'll never happen. GT5 is no doubt gonna be its own game, different from others in its own way.

Last edited:
Famine wrote:

I'd take 'em (and anything else you want) from the cards, then zip 'em up and e-mail the zip to you.

Hi Famine,

Well I'm back in England and I have put copies of all my GT1 and GT2 licence replays on three mem cards.
All ready to post to you if you can let me have your address.
(I tried a 'private' message, but I don't know if it got to you)

regards,

John Rose

Back