Anyone playing GT5 on LED TV?

  • Thread starter Thread starter snidemiller9
  • 52 comments
  • 4,500 views
Messages
24
Looking to purchase LED tv. Anyone here playing on LED tv? Any comparison to other technologies? I'm currently playing on a 65" DLP, but even though its 1080p, I think the LED technology will look much better. The contrast is not good with the DLP. It's either too bright or too dark.
Any thoughts or recommendations?
 
I have this TV and I've gotta say, it's truly amazing playing on GT5, I don't play it in 3D much though, prefer to just play 2D..

LED is massively better than LCD if you play in the dark a lot. The contrast and colour reproduction on them is just stunning.
 
I play on a Vizio LCD/LED, and it's awesome. No complaints.
 
I have this TV and I've gotta say, it's truly amazing playing on GT5, I don't play it in 3D much though, prefer to just play 2D..

LED is massively better than LCD if you play in the dark a lot. The contrast and colour reproduction on them is just stunning.

Why dont you play it in 3d much? isnt it worth it? doesnt it help with the braking distances and all that stuff?
Surely after all that wait because of that particular feature its got to be worth it?
I ask this because I myself am thinking of getting one to play and watch 3d stuff in it...
 
I'm playing on a "46 Samsung LED and it looks great. The thing you will probably notice most if you go side by side with an LCD, aside from the thinness of the hardware is the contrast ratio. With the proper settings the brights and darks have a much deeper contrast. LEDs typically have a 120Hz refresh rate for standard and 240Hz for 3D, so the high frame rates won't phase it.

My only regret is that about a year and a half from my purchase the 3DTVs and tech started coming out so I won't get to enjoy the latest 3D features...
 
Playing on a samsung led monitor and the game looks awesome at 1080p, and led produces colors, contrast and brightness much better than LCD
 
I use a Sharp Aquos LC46LE700UN.

The black levels are awesome (it uses full array LED), and I don't notice any lag or tearing or anything. I wouldn't play GT5 if I didn't have a 1080 set :D lol

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002BNMPCU/?tag=gtplanet-20

Edit: I would advise against 3D. I think it's just a fad, and the technology isn't there yet (i.e. requiring expensive glasses to work)

Edit2: Honda, LED tv's are also LCD. LED is just the backlighting, as opposed to normal LCD, which uses CCFL lighting. The main advantage to LED is it's more energy efficient (my 46" using 1/2 the energy of my standard 32" LCD)
 
I play it as well on a 37 inch LG LED. Picture on it is absolutely awesome.
 
60" Pioneer Kuro. Kuro Plasma is unmatched in image quality, color reproduction and motion.
 
Why dont you play it in 3d much? isnt it worth it? doesnt it help with the braking distances and all that stuff?
Surely after all that wait because of that particular feature its got to be worth it?
I ask this because I myself am thinking of getting one to play and watch 3d stuff in it...

Don't get me wrong, 3D is amazing, but in GT5 I just don't see why they wasted so much time adding it.. It looks good, but when you're heading towards a corner at a decent speed and you come to brake, everything goes a bit weird, maybe it's just me..

3D films OTOH are definitely worth it, although you can feel like a bit of an idiot sitting there with silly glasses on watching a film :P.
 
Plasma is unmatched in image quality, color reproduction and motion.

👍

I rock a Samsung 58" plasma and I do have to say it blows my LED Samsung out of the water.
 
I have this TV and I've gotta say, it's truly amazing playing on GT5, I don't play it in 3D much though, prefer to just play 2D..

LED is massively better than LCD if you play in the dark a lot. The contrast and colour reproduction on them is just stunning.

What you're saying just isn't really true. LED CAN be better, but IIRC the Samsung 8000 is edge-lit, and has worse black levels than the comparable (cheaper) regular Samsung LCD. If you get a non-edge lit LED with local dimming what you're saying can be true, but what you're talking about is not a universal property of LCD vs. LED and in fact the exact opposite can be true.

An edge lit LED is slimmer and uses less energy, but isn't automatically going to have a better picture/contrast/black levels/anything than a CCFL LCD.

If I was going to buy an LED LCD right now (which I'm not, I play on a 125" 1080p front projector and have no desire to downgrade) it would not be edge lit
 
I've got a small LG LED 22 for my bedroom, got it with 5 year warranty for the same price as its competitor LCDs. The specs tell you what you need to know, with a contrast ratio of around 1 million and superior brightness LED provides great images IMO compared to LCD. My grandad just got a 32 sony bravia LCD and my LG makes it look pretty poor. Not sure about plasma but it's worth getting some knowledge about how they match up.
 
I use a Sharp Aquos LC46LE700UN.

The black levels are awesome (it uses full array LED), and I don't notice any lag or tearing or anything. I wouldn't play GT5 if I didn't have a 1080 set :D lol

I can second this the Aquos is brilliant for GT5 ... four colour technology! :P
 
3D is not very good for gaming consoles. Understand that frame rate is always cut in half when using 3D. So the max output you can get for GT5 is 30fps. Its even worse for other games that don't run at 60fps. Not to mention those glasses are quite an annoyance.
 
👍

I rock a Samsung 58" plasma and I do have to say it blows my LED Samsung out of the water.

Don't you get "burn" marks when HUD is on for a long period?
 
I think most plasmas these days no longer suffer from burn-in. However, they do use a lot of energy/produce a lot of heat, so there may be other burns involved :D
 
Don't you get "burn" marks when HUD is on for a long period?

You mean the same burn in that you can get with LCD and LED?
Unless you leave the screen on for days with a static image, you have nothing to worry about with newer TVs, no matter what tech they are.
 
One of the things you should be carefull when you buy a TV is the imput lag.
Try to find the tv with the lowest imput lag because otherwise you could have the reactions of the cars to late.

Is not fault of the game or the PS3, you only take care about your model don't have too much but its not a Led fault
 
What you're saying just isn't really true. LED CAN be better, but IIRC the Samsung 8000 is edge-lit, and has worse black levels than the comparable (cheaper) regular Samsung LCD. If you get a non-edge lit LED with local dimming what you're saying can be true, but what you're talking about is not a universal property of LCD vs. LED and in fact the exact opposite can be true.

An edge lit LED is slimmer and uses less energy, but isn't automatically going to have a better picture/contrast/black levels/anything than a CCFL LCD.

If I was going to buy an LED LCD right now (which I'm not, I play on a 125" 1080p front projector and have no desire to downgrade) it would not be edge lit

👍 What he said..

There's more than one type of LED TV available, so do your research before spunking the big bucks :)
 
Same here I play on a 46" Samsung Led 3d tv and it is great. Wouldn't go back. #d is great on the samsung I think to.
 
anybody have screen tearing problem with LED TVs on GT5 ?
I already have this problem with my Led Lcd LG 32" :-(
 
anybody have screen tearing problem with LED TVs on GT5 ?
I already have this problem with my Led Lcd LG 32" :-(

Not me, I have This TV and it's brilliant as far as GT5, and everything else goes for that matter.
 
I yanked my PS3 away from my 46" Bravia, when I bought the PlayStation 24" LED 3D TV. And I couldn't be happier. 3D looks stellar, and I find it much easier to concentrate driving on a smaller screen.
 
I play gt5 on the samsung ue40eh6030 led tv and i think it is good
 
anybody have screen tearing problem with LED TVs on GT5 ?
I already have this problem with my Led Lcd LG 32" :-(

To answer OP first, I have 46" Sony Bravia LED running 200Hz refresh an it's awesome :)

@ Nathan Drake - I do but only on Monaco. My mates get it on there too, not sure what it is with that track.
 
I play on a 46" Bravia 3D LED w/ 240Hz and it looks amazing! I also have a second PS3 with my older 24" ViewSonic monitor & G27 wheel & it's awesome switching back to the Bravia. The differences stand out quite a bit, much richer colors, very sharp & smooth.
 
anybody have screen tearing problem with LED TVs on GT5 ?
I already have this problem with my Led Lcd LG 32" :-(

Yes I have screen tearing with GT5 on my 55-inch SAMSUNG UN55EH6001 LED 1080P 120HZ HDTV. It's a great TV and the picture is really amazing with the HDMI cable, especially since I came from a 32" CRT with component RGB connection. (I know, crazy bad, right? It actually looked pretty good for what it was.) Anyway, although the picture is fantastic, the tearing is a bit bothersome and I have not noticed it on any other games besides GT5. I've messed with the TV picture settings and the PS3 display settings and the GT5 display settings and nothing seems to help. Oh well.
 
I think the game is pretty neat in 3D,
On a 2 years old Plasma Panasonic 50". Using the cheap PS3 3D glasses.
Plasma still does leaves marks but not permanently. There's a way to reset them, i'm still surprise people think you could ruin your tv playing video games on a plasma tv. Its sad because the colors on plasma are perfect, stunning. For the casual gamer just leaving the opening menu of GT5 will impress your friends no matter how much their rig cost them. The only problem is the lag input. If you play online, FPS or Rock Band, you will feel the difference if you have access to another tv with better lag input. The tv I mostly use is an ~10 years old CRT Toshiba 36".

The reason I prefer playing on my CRT is mostly because i'm noticeably better on it and also the fact that its in the basement where my setup is more immersive. I see everything just right.. fast. And its clearly a lag input thing couple with the tall screen. micro aiming on a big screen is tough.

So in the end, make sure to know what you want before spending 2k for a tv because if you start from scratch, the cars will actually sound like a vacuum cleaner.
 
I used a Sony WEGA 33" that weighs about 215 lbs. tomorrow ill be receiving a benq 24" mlg monitor with 5.5 overall input lag. It's in the top 5 (I think) monitors for lowest input lag. Plus it's LED. If its good enough for professional play its good enough for my average play lol
 
Back