Anyone playing GT5 on LED TV?

  • Thread starter Thread starter snidemiller9
  • 52 comments
  • 4,500 views
We got a Sony Bravia LED and its fantastic. It has3d and I've a pair of the more modern lighter glasses. I probably only play it in 3d 10% of the time but personally I really like it. It does help with cornering and judging distances but in the end its a novelty.
 
I wish I have a 32 inch LED :( I only have a 32 inch LCD but I'm happy with it.
 
anybody knows will the new HDMI Cable can fix this issue or not ?
 
Nathan Drake
anybody knows will the new HDMI Cable can fix this issue or not ?

Im using an HDMI cable on my 32" LCD TV and I still get tearing. Especially when drifting. I dont get this problem on my 42" LG LED TV....
 
Im using an HDMI cable on my 32" LCD TV and I still get tearing. Especially when drifting. I dont get this problem on my 42" LG LED TV....

both TV have been tested with the same HDMI cable or not ?
i want to know does quality of HDMI cable can affect on screen tearing or not
 
Nathan Drake
both TV have been tested with the same HDMI cable or not ?
i want to know does quality of HDMI cable can affect on screen tearing or not

Yes both... the LG and the Daewoo( or whatever its called) the LG is perfect.
 
Short question...what is screen tearing?
 
Another 👍 for Samsung here. 46" and I went from a 120hz 6000 series to a 240hz 7000 series 3D. I haven't played in 3D yet, then again I don't really use the 3D (didn't buy it for that)
 
VetteZR1
Short question...what is screen tearing?

It's exactly what the name implies. When you are driving your car and you turn at extremely high g-forces ie; spining out in one direction and then spining out in the other direction, your screen will "tear" on the sides. It happens a lot while drifting, for me.
 
I have a 32" LG with that fancy-schmancy True Motion or whatever it's called. The only thing that I would call an "issue" that I have with it, is that I have to adjust the brightness levels for a couple of things in GT5.

On some tracks, like Spa, I have to turn the EV level down in the game.

On the Toscana Lamborghini night Special Event, I have to turn the brightness level on the TV up and adjust the EV a little in the game. Otherwise it's close to pitch black. Imagine a toy keychain flashlight for kids with worn out batteries in a cave and you'll get a good sense of how dark it is before the adjustment.

In other words, a couple of things are too bright and a couple are too dark. It seems to be mostly GT5 related, I don't recall having to mess with things for other games. Otherwise it has an amazing picture no matter what I'm doing with the TV.
 
42" Samsung SmartTV 👍. Perfect TV!

On my off days, when the wife's using it, I use my 42" (5 year old) Samsung. I use a 4 Ft Rocketfish HDMI cable for both, perfect combination!

I don't get any tearing or anything like that. Those with TrueMotion, should really disable it, it screws with things in the picture which can lead to tearing. What a waste of technology :yuck:.
 
Screen tearing has nothing to do with what HDMI lead you have, or TV for that matter. It is down to the game you are playing. Digital Foundry on the Eurogamer site does dual format comparisons (PS3/360). PS3 usually come off worse for this..it is down to the programming.
 
I have a 32" LG with that fancy-schmancy True Motion or whatever it's called.

When I got my LG and hooked up my PS3 I was noticing that there was a very obvious lag of at least half a second, between the input on the DS3 on what happened on the screen. In the end figured out it was TruMotion causing that, would say to everybody to disable it if it's on their TV.
 
When I got my LG and hooked up my PS3 I was noticing that there was a very obvious lag of at least half a second, between the input on the DS3 on what happened on the screen. In the end figured out it was TruMotion causing that, would say to everybody to disable it if it's on their TV.

I haven't noticed any lag at all with this TV. Maybe I'm lucky or something. :sly:
 
I haven't noticed any lag at all with this TV. Maybe I'm lucky or something. :sly:

That's the thing with lag input. You basically have to compare between a LED and and old SDTV (CRT) while playing Street Fighter or Punch out at an advance level on Nintendo. 3 frames can make all the difference. Some folks are more sensitive to detect rapid image, Ever herd of rainbow effect sensitive?

Rainbow Effect is claimed to be a stroboscopic effect that exhibits brief flashes of red, blue, and green when projected bright white objects move very quickly across black backgrounds. However, research shows that while some may be quite sensitive to rainbow effect some may never notice...

^ That is only for old DLP Projectors though.

For HDTV Display, computer processing power and memory storage is needed to prepare an input signal for display, then the signal is converted to digital data, which must be decompressed, this processing may take several microseconds to occur. And might not be noticeable by everyone.

I know folks who plays alot of FPS on a computer monitor always weep about large HDTV input lag. But its soo complicated to judge. TV companies are not straight forward at all on the subject. But if you compare 11ms computer monitor vs 47ms 60" LED there might be 3 + frames difference in delay of display. The difference is noticeable when you compare apples with oranges which leads many into buying the smaller option with a cpu monitor for console gaming.
 
I guess that I can try it with the Motion thingy off sometime and see if there's any noticeable difference. Up until a couple of months ago, I had a standard def TV and I've not felt any noticeable lag from this one.

Seeing as I've played games since the Pong era on various systems, computers, etc., I would guess I'd be pretty able to tell if my inputs were not being sent as quickly as on the older set. Just an assumption.
 
Comparing "led" to lcd is ridiculous and pointless. Comparing ccfl to led has some merit, but is basically still ridiculous and pointless.

Unless we are speaking of led with local dimming, they are practically all the same. The point should be to find what is the best performing panel.

Personally, I would not go near any type of lcd for anything serious. I mostly use a final gen Pioneer plasma for entertainment. Extremely happy with it on all levels, but did have an interesting experience recently. I have stocked up with Sony hd crts (the ones that were originally $6000 and now sell on ebay for under $50). I did a quick test of one playing GT5 and thought "hmm, how did the transmission change to automatic?" Turns out it hadn't, and the very low input lag on the pioneer was still enough that after getting used to that, playing on the crt felt as if the gears were changing before I hit the button.

So... fastest image - crt, most beautiful image - good plasma, also ran - lcd.
 
I guess that I can try it with the Motion thingy off sometime and see if there's any noticeable difference. Up until a couple of months ago, I had a standard def TV and I've not felt any noticeable lag from this one.

Seeing as I've played games since the Pong era on various systems, computers, etc., I would guess I'd be pretty able to tell if my inputs were not being sent as quickly as on the older set. Just an assumption.

The SDTV are usually the lowest in lag input (display), best. The only problem with cathode ray is the times it take to mirror the images since theres no data to decompressed. Its considered lag free.

Technically, every HDTV lag. There's a few way to bypass the lag. You could set the TV at 480? or 720 for a faster display.

Here 's a few approximations in case someone wonder, theres no consensus on the way to calculate, so don't quote me please.
Smallest ms being optimum.

CRT SDTV : 5ms. approximation
CRT HDTV : 7ms. approximation
Computer monitor : 9ms to 30ms,
Plasma : 15ms to 70ms
LCD or LED : 16ms to 70ms

+17ms can vary from manufacturer spec. Based from two years ago.
At 80ms + your remote might rumble/vibrate before you actually hit a wall.
Expert reviewers tend to prefer Plasma over LED/LCD in terms of lag display,
 
Last edited:
In Australia at least there are really no poor plasmas left on the market, so I doubt that current lcds and plasmas would have comparable delay ranges.

Lcd won, in just the same fashion as the inferior vhs format did.
 
In Australia at least there are really no poor plasmas left on the market, so I doubt that current lcds and plasmas would have comparable delay ranges.

Lcd won, in just the same fashion as the inferior vhs format did.

Yep, that's why I've put such a big margin in between min. and max.
Manufacturers spec are deceiving most of the time. I'm thinking about MPG or BHP in the auto industry. They abuse because most are clueless.
I think the irrational fear of getting screen burns discouraged many from looking at the plasma option. Smaller market, bigger production cost, although you could get a nice but a bit laggy Panasonic Viera 50' Plasma 3d for just under 800 CAD (same as U$D nowadays).
 
It's sad, as screen burn is no issue for anyone with half a brain. Image retention is another story. For the short time that I owned a Panasonic plasma that was one thing that certainly bothered me. But compared to the VERY short time I owned a Samsung lcd, the Panasonic was glorious.
 
Went to the mall today and walked by the TV's. Looked at the 60" LED's and the picture was perfect, until, the GT5 trailer popped up... the screen tore from the sides a bit, the outline of the cars became pixelated.. I looked on the bright side, and thought about what BF3 would look like on that screen... amazing!
 
Over sharpened, that is the story there. If motion interpolation was switched on there may have been a halo effect as well. Showroom settings are usually horrible and nowhere near what the average person would use at home... let alone an above average person!!
 
Back