Anyone still play this?

Tina Branford

(Banned)
United States
United States
I know it may be weird to play this one still after almost 20 years but I'm starting another run through of the game soon. I really love this game and miss it.. it's been almost 10 years since I last touched it. So like the title says does anyone play this anymore let alone starting new files since games like GT6 and GT Sport are out?

I know it may be weird to play this one still after almost 20 years but I'm starting another run through of the game soon. I really love this game and miss it.. it's been almost 10 years since I last touched it. So like the title says does anyone play this anymore let alone starting new files since games like GT6 and GT Sport are out?
I haven't played it for a about a year or so, but I'm planning to soon. I didn't get the first Gran Turismo until a few years ago. I started a save on my PS3, but then the HDD failed and I had to replace it, so I'll be starting from scratch. To be fair, I didn't get that far, maybe a few stages into the licence tests.

Even though GT2 was my first Gran Turismo game, I am still fascinated by the original and it's great to play it and see just how far the franchise has developed. It's oddly nostalgic, despite not being part of my childhood.

GT1 is on my bucket list of games to complete, so no doubt I will be returning to it at some point.

I haven't played it for a about a year or so, but I'm planning to soon. I didn't get the first Gran Turismo until a few years ago. I started a save on my PS3, but then the HDD failed and I had to replace it, so I'll be starting from scratch. To be fair, I didn't get that far, maybe a few stages into the licence tests.

Even though GT2 was my first Gran Turismo game, I am still fascinated by the original and it's great to play it and see just how far the franchise has developed. It's oddly nostalgic, despite not being part of my childhood.

GT1 is on my bucket list of games to complete, so no doubt I will be returning to it at some point.

GT2 was also my first GT game! I first played that one in 2000. I loved it at first play lol! Sadly I never played any GT past GT4 though. I really recommend that you finish GT1 too. There are really fun cars like the Dodge Concept Car LM, Cerbera LM, RX-7 LM etc to use at the end. First thing I'm gonna do is get all golds on the license again.

Well, I'm not playing it anymore, but I just started GT1 in spring this year and completed it 100%, all golds, all prize cars about two months ago!

I had never actually played GT1 in the past, but I've played the hell out of the later ones, so it was great to see where it all began 20 years ago.

Never properly played through GT1 myself, having never officially owned it myself. Remember very briefly starting a career with a mate after I got him a copy. Literally from what I remember, bought a white Mk3 Supra, did 2 races and that was all my experience with GT1.

That's why I've always wanted to go through GT1 properly myself, having started with GT2. Do plan on getting a copy and doing a play-through to see how it compares to GT2, and to finally experience it after so many years...

I play it very often, it is quite the fun. You just buy a car, tune it a little and you are ready to race. Racing games of today are too complicated for my taste, I think they've kinda lost the fun factor.
Anyways, I'm currently trying to win the Normal Cup in an R33 Type-M, so far things are good. The NSX isn't in the mix though, otherwise it would've been impossible to beat it with such a car. That NSX is too damn fast.

Just started playing from scratch, the game is not that bad of a grind at all and plays very well on the PS3 with smoothing enabled.
I still have a hangover from GT Sport.

BTW, am I the only one who thinks that, between GT1 and GT2, GT1 is actually the better racing game? I mean, it feels more focused towards racing, while the second game is more about the bling-bling and the variety of cars and stuff like that and it isn't as an enjoyable racing-wise as the first one. GT3 actually resembles the original game quite a lot, it has that same feeling.
I don't know actually, I'm just thinking out loud.

Sorry for being absent from my topic guys. I wanted to start a new game and all that but GT1 is tweaking out when I use my Analogue function. My controller randomly tuns on and off.. woks and doesn't work randomly ugh annoying! I can't enjoy my game because this. I have no issues with my Final Fantasies, Chrono Cross or Legend of Dragoon though?? Oh well I guess I'm screwed unless anyone can help here. I used to be able to use analogue fine I don't know what's up. Does GT1 analogue glitch with unofficial unmarked pretend wannabe sony controllers playing on silver SPCH-70010 ps2 slims or what?

GT1 was amazing when it 1st came out but never thought I'd still be playing it (GRAN TURISMO) in general 20yrs later and will probably still be playing it for another 20yrs as I'm so hooked on it.

I still play GT1 occasionally, though compared to GT1, I do find myself playing GT2 more often than GT1. Personally, I feel like GT2 has a much better sense of replayability than GT1. But that's just me.

Been playing the NTSC/J version, love the music and menu music, it's just so fun with the strange physics and everything. I nearly beat the game for now. Just need the GT World Championship and 4 more Special Events and Sim Mode is done.

Me too, had the same feeling like JakeMR2, J version most of the time since it's too difficult to load the ideal opponents in the US version, I mean in the GT World Cup race.

Can't get enough of the original. absolutely love it. The amazing tracks (High Speed Ring, SSR11 All-Night I & II, Deep Forest Raceway, Trial Mountain, GVS 300KM, Test Course etc.), the special edition cars (GTO LM, Castrol Supra GT, Nismo GT-R LM, FTO LM, Chaser LM, Silvia S14 LM etc.), and the soundtrack... is it only me who likes the European soundtrack?

A couple of times I've tried to re-create stuff from GT1 in a higher-poly format just to bask in the nostalgia :lol:

I haven't touched GT1 since GT2 came out, and I haven't touched GT2 since GT3 came out, and so on and so forth all the way up to GT Sport.

I've really been thinking about re-purchasing the first four since I have the last three. I miss my youth.

I have so much time invested in GT1, I already got all golds in all of the licenses way back when the game was not very old. I dont know if license tests got easier in each newer version or that I drive much better but I remember spending a couple of nights just trying to get gold on 1 test in GT1. In GT Sport I breeze right thru with golds with half on the first try. I think I golded everything in GT Sport before I moved on, it didnt take long, just 2 nights I think at a few hours a day. My favorite car was the Concept Car, max power I think was only around 300 but it was extremely light and would out handle anything in the game with ease. Another great car was the FTO LM, not the GTO but the smaller FTO, I think it handled far better. I miss the original tracks like Grand Valley, Trial Mountain, Deep Forest, High Speed Ring, etc.

I'm currently replaying GT1. Don't know if I'll try and complete it, or just mainly use it to kill some time. But all I know is, it's sure tricky to get the handling of the cars. Trail braking is really tricky for me, and the AI keeps me honest too. Not sure how my 10 year old self got good with the game, back then, but it's still pretty fun.

Yay my topic still lives!! Yeah it's a different account but.. my pc got a virus.. I had to delete my user account on my pc which had all my sign in data auto completed in which many I forgot what they actually were. So here's a new account. I finally got another official Sony controller and now my Analogue sticks work and I'm loving the game again. I got all golds in B and A licenses and beat half the races already. My first car was a Honda Del Sol Si which I absolutely love.. I usually started with a FC RX-7 or a Toyota MKII Supra but wanted to do something different this time. Man it was a great starter car.. I beat Sunday Cup, FF Cup, Lightweight Cup etc with it.

Yay my topic still lives!! Yeah it's a different account but.. my pc got a virus.. I had to delete my user account on my pc which had all my sign in data auto completed in which many I forgot what they actually were. So here's a new account. I finally got another official Sony controller and now my Analogue sticks work and I'm loving the game again. I got all golds in B and A licenses and beat half the races already. My first car was a Honda Del Sol Si which I absolutely love.. I usually started with a FC RX-7 or a Toyota MKII Supra but wanted to do something different this time. Man it was a great starter car.. I beat Sunday Cup, FF Cup, Lightweight Cup etc with it.

Good choice. I owned two Del Sol's in real life. They're sweet cars.

Yes they really are sweet. Too bad I never owned one but have always wanted to. They have aesthetically pleasing style(they look like they are midship mounted-rear wheel drives) and as far as I know lightweight irl.

The good news is that soon I should be getting a 2001 VW Beetle(Manual) in Lime Green and with Tan interior. My dads friend was going to junk it but my papa talked him into selling it to him for the junk price then giving it to me!! It only has 130k on it and my dad told me he got to ride in it recently and the engine actually runs good and only needs like $400 dollars of repairs to be nigh perfect. Soo I'm super excited for my $500 great condition 2001 VW Beetle. The only other car I had before was an 1995 Chevrolet Lumina LS.

To enjoy the earlier games fully you need to play them on at least a 27 inch Sony CRT flat-screen TV. They look crap on modern lcds im sorry and that's not being an inverse snob. Such tvs however can be purchased at most thrift stores for about 30 bucks at most these days probably with a psx thrown in as well!

If the "rumoured" PS Classic gets released, I'm hoping that they have at least one of these on it. If not, I still have my original PS and PS2 boxed in the basement. Have to take them out soon and add them to my retro game room. Haven't played GT in probably 12ish years. I remember when we got our first HDTV, a 42" plasma, and then shortly after a PS3 with backwards compatibility, I popped in GT to see how it looked. Played it for a bit and then moved on to GT4.

Last edited:
I remember playing the demo at the store thinking it sucked because I sucked at it, but still wanted to play it because I wanted to try the cars. I was 15 at the time & couldn’t afford another video game system, I chose to get a N64 because I had friends who came to my house to party & play Goldeneye almost daily (we left the drinking for the weekends when the girls came over, good times for a teen). Good thing a few of my friends had a PS (but not GT), so I finally gathered enough funds to purchase GT2, that’s when I got into Motorsports.

I'm thinking of digging out my old playstation and giving it a blast.
Although I haven't played it in years. I may have to start all over again as I've lost my old memory cards, but will have to go in search of some memory cards in order to save my progress.

I have played GT1 a few months ago, I feel that GT1 was a better racing game than GT2, but because of the single race format of most events and the variety of cars and races on offer, I tend to play GT2 more often for just a couple of races here and there.

I think I spent more time hooked on GT1 after it came out than any other Gran Turismo game, though I’ve bought every GT game on release since GT1 except GT Sport. I haven’t been able to justify that yet, the structure of the game and lack of tuning etc. Puts me off a bit and I don’t have much time for gaming these days anyway. Maybe the next time it’s on offer I’ll give it a whirl.

Last edited:
I have played GT1 a few months ago, I feel that GT1 was a better racing game than GT2, but because of the single race format of most events and the variety of cars and races on offer, I tend to play GT2 more often for just a couple of races here and there.

I think I spent more time hooked on GT1 after it came out than any other Gran Turismo game, though I’ve bought every GT game on release since GT1 except GT Sport. I haven’t been able to justify that yet, the structure of the game and lack of tuning etc. Puts me off a bit and I don’t have much time for gaming these days anyway. Maybe the next time it’s on offer I’ll give it a whirl.

If money isn't an issue I'd highly recommend GTS. It might seem different in structure from previous GTs, but in spirit IMO it's the closest game to the original. Similar number of cars and tracks, and the focus is on the racing more than collecting. The driving is really a joy with the latest update. GT League now has heaps of events and they're adding to it every month. Tuning is there. You just don't buy parts anymore and use power/weight % sliders instead (which to me, is basically the same thing since previous GT's upgrades are just basic power/weight multipliers anyway). Graphics are amazing. Scapes and livery customization also means there is endless creativity from the community. If you don't have much time, GTS is perfect. Compared to PS3 era games it's more suited for short bursts of gaming due to the event lengths.

I haven't played GT1 for a long while, but I wouldn't mind beating it again because the AI actually has some challenge to it, also. There was supposed to be a wheel shop like GT2. GT: Sport though, for me at least just doesn't have that much to offer, and I tried it. It is online only just to be aware, which really hurts it for me because it won't be alive forever, so it's better to get it while you can, but waiting on other content like Course Maker, etc might be for a long while or not. I'd say GT2/4 are the best for hybrids (combining car data from your current car), and it can be fun that way.

GT1 is the only GT that I just cannot get bored playing. The AI is properly challenging in the harder races. They actually are tuned instead of just having a power multiplier and tires. The game feels quick and responsive (and is also the grippiest of them all, but I find that more arcade style to be very fun to drive). And it's nostalgia levels are through the roof for me since I discovered GT with it, and was denied playing it for almost a decade (only being able to play it again once I discovered emulation) because the CD my brother owned and donated to me (along with all of his games because his PS1 had been stolen) is so scratched up all around it that the console can't load past a LOADING screen without me having to open/close the lid dozens of times to try and force the console to load the data... that made it the most anticipated game for me to play.

Hybrids are great to make in GT1, but 2 and 4 have the most parts you can play with.
Although, GT2 with the future of modding will transcend hybrids into an other galaxy since we'll be able to mod the car's parts directly.

GT1 PAL had the best soundtrack and I come back to the game regularly as it feels arcadey as well as serious (like GT3). The lack of content cimpared to say GT4 - the 'best in the series' to many - doesn't matter as what's included is amazing ^_^

Back