Anyone using surround sound with their PS2?

• Thread starter vat_man
  • 71 comments
Originally posted by risingson77
The PDR-12 0wnz all...superclean, and good to upper 20 cycle range. :thumbsup: Only $419 USD (which probably translates to $1000 AUS :P ).[/url]

:embarrassed:uch: The JBL's only going to be about $400AUS!

mm, yes...$419 USD converts to 741.678 AUD. :eek: That's not counting the difference in shipping costs and tarriffs (we have none - one possible benefit of NAFTA :rolleyes: ). Then again, they may have a different pricing scheme for Australia. Don't count it out until you see the dealer, anyway.

mmmmm....10k SCSI drive...:drool:

So, are they appreciably faster than a 7200 RPM E-IDE? :P

It's more than just the RPM (which gives better seek time), but SCSI is more intelligent than IDE. The SCSI controller does nearly all disk function, leaving the processor to do ... processing. With IDE, the processor wastes a bit of time telling the disk what to do. If you're editing sound (or worse yet, video) you want your processor to be as available as possible with as few interruptions as possible.

~LoudMusic

As for you home entertainment buffs, have you ever dabbled in Denon? Mighty fine hardware. A friend of mine owns a small home theator installation business and pushes Denon pretty hard. He claims he's never had a failure with any unit he's installed. I think he said one came out of the box bad, but was replaced promptly. He's the guy I know that has a 150+" drop screen projection theator with a full 200 disk Sony DVD changer. We also play Halo in that room (:

~LoudMusic

Denon is very nice...but I strongly prefer H/K's sound quality. Not that Denon is bad...just that H/K has a fuller, more natural sound. Denons usually sound kinda...electronic. They do have an overall better interface.

...and yes, I sell Denon too. :)

<-is now seriously thinking about a SCSI controller & HDD.

Denon is very nice...but I strongly prefer H/K's sound quality. Not that Denon is bad...just that H/K has a fuller, more natural sound. Denons usually sound kinda...electronic. They do have an overall better interface.

On the HDD topic - IDE is the best bang for your buck. If you are really serious, you *might concider* SCSI.

My *dream system* includes a two channel RAID SCSI system. Unfortunately that piece alone is right around $3,000, and all I would have is some hella fast hard drive. Buying something worthy of putting it in costs nearly another $5,000.

~LoudMusic

LOL, yes SCSI is pretty nice... What I like about it is that I'm not limited to the 2 device limit per IDE bus. Instead, I can have up to 16 SCSI devices daisy chained off of one controller. I deal primarally in sound recording, 24-bit, 48khz and up to 32-tracks at a time, so SCSI is a must for what I do...., I do, however use IDE for System and mass backup/storage type of uses....

Yeah, I just nosed around for some prices...I think I can live with IDE. :lol:

The real kick in the nuts is that I would have to buy a SCSI card to control the one hard drive I would need...right? So, if I have no other SCSI devices...well, there's not much sense in spending the money.

LOL, yeah...something like that. Then you could look at SCSI CDR's and DVD+R(RW)'s and tape backup devices and 10 other SCSI HD's....oh and did I mention that you'd have to sell a kidney or two?

Yeah, I just nosed around for some prices...I think I can live with IDE. :lol:

The real kick in the nuts is that I would have to buy a SCSI card to control the one hard drive I would need...right? So, if I have no other SCSI devices...well, there's not much sense in spending the money.

exACTLY ... but one of the great things about SCSI is, they've worked all the quirks out of it a long time ago, and there is some really awesome hardware out there. Adaptec has a really nice dual channel RAID controller with 32mb of RAM on it. If you were to stripe / mirror 4 drives, you'd have incredible speed, and bulletproof data. Of course, that'd set you back about a down payment on a house.

You can also get some nice IDE RAID controllers, though IDE RAID isn't proportionately as cool as SCSI RAID. Basically you're just getting massive data volumes, which most OSes don't like to deal with anyway.

~LoudMusic

Originally posted by Pako
LOL, yeah...something like that. Then you could look at SCSI CDR's and DVD+R(RW)'s and tape backup devices and 10 other SCSI HD's....oh and did I mention that you'd have to sell a kidney or two?

Wow, they're as low as two kidneys these days? I think mine cost 5 kidneys and a spleen!

~LoudMusic

Heh...I have a 30 gig HDD of which I am using less than ten gig...I probably don't need a RAID setup. :D

I have two 60gb ATA drives striped for about 112gb. I'm using about 15gb. What a waste of money THAT was.

~LoudMusic

At 32-tracks of 16-bit recording (which is considerably less than 24-bit), I'll burn 144.32 mb's a minute. At 24-bit, I'll run through 216.48 mb's per minute. In one hour of recording, I'll have over two gb's used up. And that's recording at 44.1khz, but if I bump it up to 48khz, I go through even more. That's my only justification for my 2-80gb ATA100, 1-40ATA100, 1-7200 SCSI 9gb, and my three 36gb 10k SCSI....., and guess what? It's still not enough, and that's through careful file management. Oh and when I capture video, I'll burn through 36gb's in a hour.... :eek:

So....the point is, I guess what I'm trying to say is..... It must be nice not needing a polethora of HD's...

Are we in the Hardware forum? :D

To get back on topic, I'm still looking into a new reciever but waiting a bit for the price of ProLogic II to come down in $$$ just a bit before I take the plunge, but first I have some more Klipsch to buy, and to complete my system, that'll run me about another $1500 for the mains and the center speaker for their "R" or Reference series... Ugh, anyone got a buck I can borrow?

DPL II starts at ~$400 with H/K and Denon. :)

What mains and center are you looking at? I usually don't recommend going higher than the RF-3 IIs or the RC-3 II for the center. Any higher than those and you're looking at a lot more money for very little benefit.

The Reference subs are nice, tho... :D

Those are exactly what I'm looking at. The RF II series, is what I currently have for the surounds and I love them, I just want to match out the Center and the Mains....

For subs, I'm currently using (and will continue to use) my custom oak cabinets with 12" rockford Fosgate Punch series x2 powered by a 1000w crown amp.

wait i dont understand all these terms! sorry for being slow...can someone just tell me yes or no if i have surround sound...im using the standard rca jacks that came with my ps2...i put them thru my tv...then my tv is connected to my dvd reciever...which is then connected to 5:1 speakers...and my dvd has dolby and dts...

and is there a cable where u can go from rca to optical?
cheers,ben

You would be just hearing standard surround sound. To take advantage of the PS2's Dolby 5.1 sound, you would have to NOT use the RCA jacks. Instead, you would connect a FiberOptic cable from the PS2 and connect it directly to your 5.1 reciever's digital optical input.

Not all recievers have Optical Digital Inputs, some us AC3 or S/PDIF which is a RCA-type of plug that carries the digital signal from a coax-type of cable which the PS2 does not support.

It that clear as mud?

:cheers:

Originally posted by farkkk
is there a cable that you can go from rca to optical?
cheers,ben

No there isn't. Standard RCA cables carry a analog signal. Each RCA channel only one +(-) signal for each channel. With that said, your white RCA cable carries the positive and negitive signal for the Left channel's audio, while the red RCA cable carries the right signal.

With Digital 5.1, your looking at 6 discrete channels of audio, which consist of 12 different signals (6 positive and 6 negitive).

They do make A/D (analog to digital) converters, but you would still be limited to only two channels being converted to digital, which as I stated before, 5.1 is 6 discrete channels...

:cheers:

thanks guys...1 last question plz dont kill me...whats the diff between standard surround sound and 6 channel? is surround sound just stereo or what? i thought surround sound WAS 5:1... anyways thanks for ur help...ben

A Brief History of Surround Sound :D

Dolby Surround - the original. A four speaker, three channel setup. Two speakers in front, two in back. The front channels are full range and discrete (recorded separately). A mono, limited bandwidth (200hz-7Khz, I think) rear is sent to the two rear speakers. No one remembers it because it suxored. :P

Dolby Pro Logic - adds a center channel to Dolby Surround. The signal is matrixed from the mono information in the front left and right channels. The intended effect is to widen the "sweet spot" - the area in which optimal image placement is acheived. Things are looking up.

Dolby Digital (originally AC-3) - Now we're cookin'! A system in which up to 6 discrete channels can be used. The sixth channel is the .1 (the LFE channel Low Frequency Effects, this refers to the fact that this channel handles only sounds below 120 hz) in 5.1. The rest of the channels are full bandwidth - meaning yes, large rear speakers can be beneficial. ;) Remember, DD doesn't have to use all 6 channels - that's why you'll see DD 2.0, 4.0 (if more channels are not needed), etc. The level of control afforded by being able to pan sounds in any direction creates a much more realistic effect. This is the one you want, kiddles.

DTS - Actually the original fully discrete surround system it is similar to Dolby Digital in channel arrangement, but uses less compression and a higher bit rate which DTS claims provides superior sound quality. But as computer guys will know, a more efficient codec will provide similar if not better results with less data. Dolby Labs has some interesting things to say about that. :)

There are some other, lesser formats out there (THX EX and DTS:ES) but they're hardly worth mentioning. :lol:

Well, boys, my toys arrived, HK AVR5000, JBL 110w active subwoofer, Wharfdale centre and rears - I've got everything hooked up except the rear speakers (ran out of cable!).

The amp's made a huge difference to the Dalis - the bass and mid-range definition is so much clearer and tightly controlled, and the subbie really helps with clean bass - musically there's no comparison, nice to hear the Dalis finally work for a living!

As mentioned I've got everything except the rears hooked up - the centre speaker makes a big difference to DVDs - we watched Gross Point Blank (again, I like that film) and the dialogue was a lot clearer with its own speaker - can't wait to get the rears fired up and get proper surround happening!

Nice! Yes, H/Ks own all. :) The Dalis look like nicely built speakers...so they probably need a nice, meaty amp upon which to latch.

Did you check out Paradigm at all? I'm just curious what pricing is like "Down Under"...

Nice! Yes, H/Ks own all. :) The Dalis look like nicely built speakers...so they probably need a nice, meaty amp upon which to latch.

Did you check out Paradigm at all? I'm just curious what pricing is like "Down Under"...

Can't say that I did - I already had the Wharfedale rears and centre, I've had the Dalis for years, and I was pretty happy with the price of the JBL subbie I picked up.

I know where the store in Sydney that has them is - if I go past I'll let you know.

Actually it was funny last night - partner went out to her Monday 'Pilates' class, so I dragged out Radiohead's 'Amnesiac' to see how it sounded. The highlight was 'You and Who's Army', there was an additional down note in the instrumental backing to the chorus I hadn't picked up before, plus another guitar in there I hadn't heard on the car deck. Amazing.

Yeah, subs are great for that. My speakers have good low frequency extension, but a sub just brings the lower registers forward a bit - where they're more or less equal with the rest of the range of sound.

Well, I think it takes a lot of pressure off the main speakers. I'm running a reasonably aggressive cut over, because whilst the Dalis are brilliant in the mid-ranges (they're fantastic for classical music) bass isn't their strength, so I guess running the subbie means the Dalis give much better low end definition rather than having to do the 'grunt' work as well. I can see myself getting seriously back into my music again!

Latest Posts

Back