Anyone using surround sound with their PS2?

• Thread starter vat_man
  • 71 comments
So you're employing a high pass filter? The H/K's may be set at 100 Hz (all second order slopes). I have found you need a fair amount of overlap between mains & sub for an effective blend. Your results may vary. :smilewink

The other thing I've noticed about having a sub is that I generally don't run the volume as high...the sub provides the impact I want, so I don't have to torture my mains to get it.

Originally posted by risingson77
So you're employing a high pass filter? The H/K's may be set at 100 Hz (all second order slopes). I have found you need a fair amount of overlap between mains & sub for an effective blend. Your results may vary. :smilewink

The other thing I've noticed about having a sub is that I generally don't run the volume as high...the sub provides the impact I want, so I don't have to torture my mains to get it.

Mmm.. true, but I think the clarity of the sound masks how loud it actually is, too!

Originally posted by risingson77
Yes...you almost can't tell when you're defeaning yourself with really good equipment!

So true. I was right about getting back into my music - end of the second CD for the night (partner retired to bed upstairs to watch TV early...). She's in for a shock when I drag out 'In Utero'....he he he.... 😈

I'm pretty sure I can sleep comfortably on the back seat of the car - oh wait, it's her car......

Originally posted by Pako
You would be just hearing standard surround sound. To take advantage of the PS2's Dolby 5.1 sound, you would have to NOT use the RCA jacks. Instead, you would connect a FiberOptic cable from the PS2 and connect it directly to your 5.1 reciever's digital optical input.

Not all recievers have Optical Digital Inputs, some us AC3 or S/PDIF which is a RCA-type of plug that carries the digital signal from a coax-type of cable which the PS2 does not support.

It that clear as mud?

:cheers:

whoa..i didnt know this. i have a 5.1 home theater system that my ps2 is hooked up to. im using the 3 colored RCA jacks. i looked at my receiver and i can use the digital optical input.

what do i need to buy to set this up? does the digital optical input take the place of the RCA jacks, or just the two audio jacks (red and white i think).

i would appreciate it if you could PM me the answer.

The optical cable just carries the audio signal, so it would just be replacing the "red" and "white" RCA cables. In this configuration, you need to goto system setup in the PS2 and set the audio output to digital so the audio signal gets routed to the optical output instead of the analog RCA output.

All you would need to buy is a standard Optical Cable to complete this task. :)

I just read thru this hole thread and thought I would put in my 2 cents.

I had a Sony A/V reciever that took a lighting hit that knocked out the Yellow Video inputs across the hole reciever. Big bummer..

So it was time to buy a new one. I looked at the HK and Onkyo recievers. I decided to get an Onkyo TX-DS898 that has 7.1-Channel Digital Surround. The main reason I decided to get this one was the fact I could have a zone-2 playing at the sametime without a need for a secound reciever. This reciever is very nice for the fact of the 7.1 channel sound to, but my house just don't have the necessary walls in the right place. So I am a very happy A/V listener right now.

Now all I got left to do is to get the Digital cable box for the best picture and sound. ;)

Originally posted by Ghostrider
Now all I got left to do is to get the Digital cable box for the best picture and sound. ;)

Digital Cable? :P I was a DSS (Digital Satellite Service) with the DirectTV package for a couple of years and just recently switched to digital cable. What a waste of money. From what I've seen, Digital cable can't even come close to providing the quality of sound and picture that Digital Satellite can...

Originally posted by Pako

Digital Cable? :P I was a DSS (Digital Satellite Service) with the DirectTV package for a couple of years and just recently switched to digital cable. What a waste of money. From what I've seen, Digital cable can't even come close to providing the quality of sound and picture that Digital Satellite can...

What?? Here's what I found out. Not all cable channels are in digital, only some. Now I haven't seen the picture and sound quality yet, but for the price I'm willing to give it a try. They say that they are broadcasting a digital 5.1 signal for some channels. I did make sure that there was a digital output on the back of the unit. The cable box is made by motorola. Was yours? More research is required..

does the system work good or is it kinda ok because if im gonna spend the money on it i want it to work well and have great sound quality so witch one works the best ? like from what company shou8ld i buy it from?

thnks

Back