Aquaplaning

• Thread starter mattikake
  • 33 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Anyone experienced it? Seemed a bit extreme to me.

I had some initial fun with this, but then as it kept getting wetter it got silly and I couldn't keep the car on the road. I wasn't even doing half speed on the straights and the (at 100%) AI had no such issues, just cruising along at their own regular pace. Fortunately I had a big lead.

I guess I needed to try raising my tyre pressures, but the race started off dry. There weren't enough puddles to turn my car into a boat for the entire length of the straight.

btw the replay doesn't show the puddles I was avoiding. Which is why I was going very wide at some corners. It just had a consistent wet sheen. Different engine or model or something. And I noticed my windscreen became hydrophobic! :)

Doesn't seem that extreme to me. Race car with bone-hard suspension and revving it at it's peak power.

Last edited:
Your driving a car which is extremely light on track biased tyres in heavy rain.

Slow down, at those kinds of speeds I've had road cars aquaplane.

Even a modest drop in speed will allow you to get through those puddles.

Fair enough. I'm sure higher tyre pressures would've made a difference. btw, this is a Ginetta Junior they run on ordinary road tyres or are supposed to. They're not cut slicks or anything. I bet I could take road car out and drive through some [not very deep] puddles at a much higher speed than I was going here and I would have no issues. No wait. I have done that countless times. I've driven on 1 foot deep snow, slush, ice in a rwd trackday car with double the power and it didn't kill me.

The problem was I couldn't really slow down. The AI were completely unaffected and were taking more than 15 seconds out of me per lap as they sailed down the straights at full speed. Fortunately I had a 35 second lead or so and had these conditions for 2 laps... Maybe that was the intent of this career race challenge? I dunno.

I don't think you're taking into account the fact most track surfaces are very different to road surfaces and are much smoother, adding the fact of layers of rubber over an already pretty smooth surface means that it'll be much more slippery than a normal road once it gets a layer of water on it.
I don't really like Silverstone as a track to drive, but I really enjoyed that race in career.

Yes, i was about to write about it as well. I've had trouble controlling that Ginetta GT5 on silverstone. And the car is on all-weather tires.
This is especially bad on the last corner of Mount Panorama, it's just a giant puddle there and no matter how slow you're going you just slide right off the track, while AI just goes through that corner normally.

I have experienced aquaplanning once or twice. Once, it was in Belgium, in a right hand turn, I almost crashed into another car coming the other way. I was going nowhere near the speed limit.
No. This is not extreme.

I don't think you're taking into account the fact most track surfaces are very different to road surfaces and are much smoother, adding the fact of layers of rubber over an already pretty smooth surface means that it'll be much more slippery than a normal road once it gets a layer of water on it.
I don't really like Silverstone as a track to drive, but I really enjoyed that race in career.

Oh it was fun in a sadistic way, don't get me wrong. Just a bit of a cop-out that the AI didn't have the same issue.

I bet I could take road car out and drive through some [not very deep] puddles at a much higher speed than I was going here and I would have no issues. No wait. I have done that countless times. I've driven on 1 foot deep snow, slush, ice in a rwd trackday car with double the power and it didn't kill me.
Up within 2000RPM of redline? Over standing water (which is way different from snow or even ice, as you'd probably admit)?

I've realized that no one ever seems to consider the effect of running a car at high RPM when they compare a sim to their real world experience on public roads. ;) Close to peak torque, close to peak power, and maximum drivetrain lash & negative torque, which can result in lift-throttle oversteer in a RWD (understeer in a FWD) when traction is limited...60mph in 5th/6th gear is not like 60mph in 2nd.

I've done races that became drenched like this, and sticking to a higher gear works as it should. But standing water is still standing water. I haven't tried playing in puddles at civil speeds yet, but they don't seem unreasonable to me.

On the other hand, I agree the pace of the AI in the wet isn't right. The next patch should alleviate that issue, and more refinements to the AI are on the agenda.

Let's just disagree on this shall we? :D

Many road track problems lack of grip ARE because they get mirror smooth and I can assure you that no Portuguese track is smoother than even roads around my house ;)

Up within 2000RPM of redline? Over standing water (which is way different from snow or even ice, as you'd probably admit)?
I've been on crushed snow and ice with a pair of sporty tires (Michelin PS2, Conti SportsContact), with cars in the range of 200-305 HP and I wouldn't advise high rev range with those at all, it's wheelspin galore. There's a reason winter and snow tyres exist. :)

I've realized that no one ever seems to consider the effect of running a car at high RPM when they compare a sim to their real world experience on public roads. ;) Close to peak torque, close to peak power, and maximum drivetrain lash & negative torque, which can result in lift-throttle oversteer in a RWD (understeer in a FWD) when traction is limited...60mph in 5th/6th gear is not like 60mph in 2nd.

Yep I was aware of this. IIRC in the vid you can see me trying high and low gears. It should go without saying that I wasn't using full throttle in either situation. Sometimes it was around 10% or less. Sometimes I was trying to just roll through the puddles. I even considered trying to sort of reverse bunny-hop them with the throttle and brakes but I'm nowhere near good enough to judge that!

I find an interesting detail technically in the game, but in my opinion, the effect is exaggerated beyond what I expected. The effect could be much more sublime.

Unfortunately I know what Aquaplaning is, but in the game it is exaggerated, more subtle, I refer to the point that is currently. I already sent a Lotus Elan for scrap in real life. ;)

I had similar issues on that race. I started the race last, was in P1 by the end of the second lap and pulling 4-5 seconds a lap until the water built up too much and that reversed. It was all I could do to keep the car on the track. I ended up 7th.

To be fair, I didn't pay attention to my tire pressures, nor did I really understand how important they are in this game. I'd like a second go at it.

Same here with that race. At the end i decided to do the straight in the grass as i was faster. This basically should tell how broken is acquaplanning considering that tyres do not heat and AI is not affected and fly.

Yes these cars are on slicks but I think it demonstrates aquaplaning well. Light cars, not the world's most downforce and tyres were unable to clear the water.

Yes these cars are on slicks but I think it demonstrates aquaplaning well. Light cars, not the world's most downforce and tyres were unable to clear the water.

Yes, i am fine with situations like that to be simulated but for all cars in track not only the human player.

However for a Ginetta gt5 race it was insane and as i was faster in grass there is something wrong

I'm stuck on the gt5 race at Silverstone right now. The AI just blows through the puddles on the straight away while I'm aquaplaning all over the place. Gonna try going through the grass next time.
You can go faster with properly input. On the tarmac i admit i was unable to avoid spins. However lost the lead anyway. I had 9 seconda advantage over second Place at 80% AI and arrived third at the end.

Anyone experienced it? Seemed a bit extreme to me.

I had some initial fun with this, but then as it kept getting wetter it got silly and I couldn't keep the car on the road. I wasn't even doing half speed on the straights and the (at 100%) AI had no such issues, just cruising along at their own regular pace. Fortunately I had a big lead.

I guess I needed to try raising my tyre pressures, but the race started off dry. There weren't enough puddles to turn my car into a boat for the entire length of the straight.

btw the replay doesn't show the puddles I was avoiding. Which is why I was going very wide at some corners. It just had a consistent wet sheen. Different engine or model or something. And I noticed my windscreen became hydrophobic! :)

Official forum: fixed in next patch. They tested the issue and solved It.

Yes, i am fine with situations like that to be simulated but for all cars in track not only the human player.

However for a Ginetta gt5 race it was insane and as i was faster in grass there is something wrong
Also if it's snowing make sure your on the grass as plenty of grip there as well. I think it's a bug where they have the grass/tarmac mixed up tbh.

Aquaplaning is anything but subtle...
I've experienced it at 85 mph in a full size crew cab 4x4 pickup. :eek::scared: Never again drove 85 mph in the rain... EVER! Aquaplaning that fast was much scarier than what I've experienced on residential roads, typically around 35-40 mph. I think we often lose our sense of speed in games. 85 mph can seem slow, but when you're aquaplaning, it's a "Holy Schnikeys" moment.

Back