Arcade Love ~*~ The Hit List & Game Changer.

• Thread starter W3H5
  • 377 comments
This thread is awesome! :bowdown:

I'm planning to do 10 laps of Le Mans with weather and time change. I'll be using the Woodone Supra GT500 and the race will start at night. Wish me luck. :)

~GT5Power

But the AI difficulty.. Get close and they give up the place! How can that be seen better than online at times?

But the AI difficulty.. Get close and they give up the place! How can that be seen better than online at times?

This thread is about Arcade, not A-Spec. If that happens, your settings are wrong. They are more conservative than people in certan situations(such as when you're in the way of them getting to the line they want very badly, even if they could just stay where they are), and sometimes they are less conservative(such as when it's single file but you're momentarily slower than they expect).

They aren't the best at passing but they but they will do it. It's actually nice to not have to worry about as many of the low-percentage "must shove my car into every tiny gap" pass attempts that the ridiculously short online races which are so common tend to encourage. When they do pass, or you can't get by cleanly, they are quite happy to run side-by-side for extended periods of time(and even relatively competent at it).

If they are slowing down whenever you get near them your Aggression setting(recently renamed to something obtuse like "AI Characteristic" I think) probably isn't high enough. I think 10 is fine, some people seem to like it a little lower.

Has anybody found a competitive rally setup? No matter what, if I hit the track with a standard WRC or stock Group B rally car I win, easily. I know that the AI only has a few rally cars to choose from, but with tire settings the same for all cars, all I can do is add weight.

XS
Has anybody found a competitive rally setup? No matter what, if I hit the track with a standard WRC or stock Group B rally car I win, easily. I know that the AI only has a few rally cars to choose from, but with tire settings the same for all cars, all I can do is add weight.

I imagine the usual techniques for having a car that won't dominate. You mentioned ballast, 75kg is my weight so I always add that. What I've generally done has been covered through this thread but briefly what works is:

Use tires one or more compounds under the AI tires or what I set up the race with-Seems like Rallies run on SM's. SH's have more than enough grip. That's what I run with lower powered TC's and RM's. Sometimes CS's. Since the latest updates there's plenty of grip with any tire really.

I run stock power and untuned cars. No aids including abs. A pace lap is great as the AI won't drive hard on lap 1. Plus it spreads out the field somewhat. And AI set to 10 and Arcade Race on Pro Mode. I also take it easier than when trying to blast through the field in a seasonal. It's more fun setting up a pass cleanly car by car. Kind of a more relaxing way to play GT5.

Last edited:
The suggestions in this thread definitely help, for sure. It's funny, though, when I set AI to 10 and choose a group b car, stock, the competition cars usually consist of two AWD cars, with at least one of them another group b car, then always, one RWD car. Of course the RWD car can't compete and in a five lap race I usually lap it, not matter what the car may be. I have noticed that along with adding weight, changing the torque diff to 30/70, thus reducing grip on snow and gravel, makes a race more enjoyable/difficult. Not that intentionally choosing a bad tune for the car is enjoyable, there is a fine line in tuning that allows you to still toss the car around, have fun, and run a little slower to make races more interesting.

I think 10 is fine, some people seem to like it a little lower.

I can definitely say that AI set to lower values like 7 gives for a much better racing experience.

They do not crash into you like maniac, they do not back off when trying to overtake on the outside, they overtake each other (although they still follow more or less their racing lines), they still make mistakes sometimes and so on.

Edit: And one more thing, they do not drive slower with lower AI values.

~GT5Power

Good luck :) My kind of race -

Could you let us know what entry PP value and tires you had on
As this drives the cars on the grid
And any changes Pre race...

[Been too busy to get much Gt5 arcade time in myself post 2.10 :( ]

If they are slowing down whenever you get near them your Aggression setting(recently renamed to something obtuse like "AI Characteristic" I think) probably isn't high enough. I think 10 is fine, some people seem to like it a little lower.

Where does one change this setting

It's in the main options menu. I believe there is a section called Arcade Options. I think it's in the top row, might even be the first thing that comes up in the menu. Anyway, you can change the default laps as well as the AI behavior from there. It won't make them fast or intelligent, but turning it up will make them much less timid. They are much less likely to back off at the slightes overlap or to brake-check you when directly in front. It almost makes the game playable in Arcade, but unfortunately has no effect on the AI in GT Life.

I've been having some good Spec Races in A-spec Practice mode (One-Make Races).

Such as the Mazda RX-7 TC, all aids off, set up race with Racing Hard tires then change to Sports Hard in pre-race screen. Add about a 65kg ballast.

Did 8 laps on Spa last night, and even though the grid is only 8 cars deep and they sometimes park for you (no arcade A.I. characteristic option here) it can be a pretty good battle. The classic PD rabbit still somehow shows up and runs away- even with these spec races with 100% even racecars- but I managed to hold off the rest of the pack just barely for the entire race. It's a pretty good test for real-life racing to be able to run consistently fast when there is a pack of hornets in your rearview lap after lap. 3rd place even made a NICE pass in a braking zone on lap 7 and I had to really fight to get him back a few turns later. This proved to be good fun, and I'll be doing more spec races in practice mode to supplement my Arcade racing in the future..

Seriously though- 1st place was about 15-20 seconds ahead of the rest of us. In the same car. Smh, PD.

^Well, that's what racing is supposed to be: being happy with your results whilst trying to improve them, not just winning every time. :)

Some one makes can be pretty challenging. Tricky cars like the RUF BTR or Stratos have been fun.

I've had a couple decent longer Arcades with FF's like the 05 Mini. Been using CH tires on them-more than enough grip. Set up and raced in my usual manner. Set up grid with CM tires and whatever pp the car has stock.

Not sure how a rabbit can show up in a stock one-make race, but I suppose one car could easily get away if two or three are battling over one position and lose a lot of time doing so.

One makes can be interesting, you just get into trouble if you tune your car at all(I suppose the same applies to arcade, just not quite as drastic). The cars are all 100% stock in one-makes so you can just show up with whatever you wish to race with, no need to change things after you've loaded like in arcade.

Echoing what ncrthree said, there are some cars that they drive much better than others. That means sometimes the same ballast and tire combo won't work as well for a different car, but that's to be expected just like how you have to adjust for the track. I can't remember very many good ones off the top of my head, although I do seem to recall the AI being pretty challenging in the Spyker.

How do you get competent ai field with the gt500 cars? I've bought the blue impul gtr and I changed the tires to race softs and entered a race in the suzuka track. Then changed to sports softs and added 200kg ballast (abs 0, damage light, fuel/tire wear on and all aids off). I'm slower than them on the straights but they are still incredibly slow overall. I'm basically one gear higher in every corner than the ai and I'm supposed to have 3 steps slower tires... On some other tracks they brake when I'm flatout and most of the time it almost feels like I've missed my brake markers if I go into a corner closer than 50m to the guy in front of me. And I try to race as cleanly as possible...

Does the setup make a difference? I'm using a setup that is much less understeery than the default setups. Should I make the race entry setup stock and then the race b setup as I want - would that make a difference?

Basically I'm looking for ways to make the ai faster on corners but I don't want to be 50kmh slower on straightaways so limiting the engine just to get similar lap times with them is not really what I want...

I just tried sports hards and it looks like with those tires the cornering speeds are getting closer to what the ai is doing. But that also makes the car incredibly understeery in corner entry/mid while corner entry is kinda unstable but manageable. I'd guess if the ai is using race softs then me using comfort softs plus some serious setup work might be an answer. At least with the poor setup and sports hards it was no longer possible to overtake people without any effort even if they still do brake very very early. Braking into t1 or the spoon corner in suzuka is still very hard without rear ending the other cars...

Last edited:

If your apex speeds are low enough, they'll take the place back on the corner:tup:

I have found this to be very effective in getting competitive AI - top speed equal to them, apex speeds lower (tire choice impacts this greatly and will have a knock-on effect on braking distance & rate of acceleration)

On the OP there's a way to set up close to a full GT500 field. I've not seen the GT500 AI ever use anything but RH tires.

My best results are to use a full stock set up for any car. No aero adjusting included. I've only adjusted transmissions for LaSarthe for Group C/LMP's.

You're not going to get the AI any faster so you have to adjust your own car. Generally adding ballast or dropping a tire grade is all I do. You might just need to keep dropping tire grades until you get close to their cornering speeds however you'll end up with longer braking zones than the AI if you go too low.

One big factor is to take it easy for the first lap. Don't pass or even go all the way to the back. Treat it like a Pace Lap. The AI is really slow on cold tires so it's too easy to barge your way through the field on the first few laps. Also set the AI characteristic to 10. Makes them more aggressive in corners.

Racing against the AI is never going to be as close quarters as against a clean real driver. Sometimes they'll brake in stupid places and park if you get too close but it's better than in Seasonals or ASpec. I just treat Arcade Races as kind of a relaxing way to do GT5. Waiting for a clean pass, giving up a spot if I wack an AI.

Last edited:
Here's how it works:
- all opponent cars are always stock with stock tires!

- GT5 divides cars into two groups: street (sports) cars, and all others (tuning cars, rally, all race cars), GT5 chooses according to your car

- the opponents are chosen according to your cars estimated performance as you enter the race

- using the settings presented in this thread:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=278596
(hopefully) give best results (stock cars, driver weight, one tire-grade down)

- full field of one class (super-GT, rally, ...) can only be achieved by using one of the cars from the "arcade garage". I recommend to buy the specific car from the dealer and set it up like explained explained in the thread mentioned above (follow link), put it on the "favorites" list and choose it after entering arcade mode. these cars always result in the same field of opponents, no matter which tires or PP you choose.

cheers!

I hate the forced SRF in the seasonals now but it gave me an idea for an Arcade Race. 400pp on the Nurburgring 24. It's a fun 1 lapper in the seasonal but SRF is really annoying.

So I used a fully stock 02 Toyota MRS that I'd used in the seasonal. Set up a 5 lapper on the Nurb 24 with the stock pp (385ish), CH tires, no driver aids, AI on 10. Then added 75kg @-15, BB of 2/1 cockpit cam and started the race. The field was similar to the seasonal but with some slowpokes thrown in. AI cars on CS'S. I let everyone pass and then set out 30 seconds behind in last place.

At the end of lap 2 I'd passed all cars except for 3. The MRS is a delight on this track-wish it was a Premium. I then passed 2 and 3 on the long straight, one of which was another MRS. Going into Turn 1 he oubraked me so I stayed on his bumper but kept making mistakes and losing ground. It took me a lap to get a clean pass then he would stay in my rear view for the next 2 laps until I started pushing harder. Kept 1 minute behind the lead car however, we were on a similar pace. Turns out it was another 02 MRS in first! The race took about an hour.

So now I can set this up again and try to beat the other MRS if I get the same field. Won't give up such a lead this time! Anyway, this is a fun track for low PP cars. CH tires have plenty of grip and no ABS really made the MRS come to life.

Last edited:
The MRS for 5 laps at Nurb 24 has been a great race. Setting up with 384pp on CH's seems to always produce 2 more MRS's. AI on CS's. The rest of the field isn't fast but it produces a rabbit MRS.

Used same set up as above post but only gave up a 15 second lead to the field this time. I ran this a couple times this week but no wins. Off track excursions made a win impossible.

Today after lap 2.5 I'd battled and passed one MRS and was in hot pursuit of the lead MRS. Caught and passed the leader at lap 4.5. He stayed less that 1 second behind for the rest of the lap. Any mistake on my part would be a lost race as the other MRS was 3 seconds behind in 3rd. Won with the 2nd place car .5 behind on my bumper!

This was just great! I ran this a couple times and knew I couldn't afford any mistakes. After getting the lead, the MRS behind literally kept the pressure on. I'd lose ground and have to block him a couple times. The AI on CS and me on CH was a good combination. I'm no expert at the 'Ring and it needed my full concentration.

I'm glad to have stumbled upon this combo. This is what I'd hoped GT5 would be like. A 1 Hour race chasing down the same car with no room for errors. I even watched the whole replay-it looked even closer than driving the race!

I had the best race I've ever had on GT5 a couple weeks ago. 35 laps of Le Mans in the Peugeot 908. I didn't make any adjustments to the car so ran it completely stock with RH tyres. Grip reduction real, weather, full 24 hr time cycle, tyre /fuel depletion. I've found every race I've done at Le Mans in the Peugeot has been enjoyable in arcade mode. This particular race started with light rain which cleared then came back. Strategy played a big part. Fuel strategies were screwed when forced to change to wets. The entire race I was battling with other cars. Different pit strategies meant that each time I came out of the pits, there was a different group to battle with. I ended up taking the lead for the first time at the start of lap 34. I then had to maintain the lead while conserving fuel because my last pit was forced a lap earlier than scheduled due to the rain. It was just brilliant. I'm hoping to try 99 laps next time.

I'm trying to organize a list of in-class and continuous pack races that can be set up here. I figure it best to note it in this thread as it seems to be the main arcade thread, and the aforementioned thread draws on it heavily. Also if anyone knows of an existing similar compiled list that would be great.

Track and car
GT86 on SH no aids. 25 of Laguna. 70kg ballast.

Example competition
Jaguar, Subaru, few Mitsubishis some Yank muscle cars and the odd truck thrown in.

Additional notes
Took a good ten laps to reach 1st place and then another few laps to safely hold it. Had great fun lapping back markers. could have done with more ballast really as my pace was a bit too fast for the field. The Toyota is now my go-to car for these kind of events. Love it. 45 minutes of my day well spent. :D

Back in business here, I'm into one make races now (practice in GT mode) there are some combination you could try. I know the AI in GT mode is bad, but I'm working on it.. some combinations seems to work.

Try Citroen GT Race Car at Nordschleife (drop downforce, ballast or SS tyres) and Amuse S2000 GT1 at Laguna (drop downforce, ballast or SM tyres) I'm playing with a pad so I'm not as consistent as with the wheel, the race is kind of close.. tell me your opinion.

Tracks and cars
Twin Ring Motegi Full Course 16 Laps
67 Ferrari 330. SS Tires. 75 kg ballast @-25. No aids/No tuning cockpit view no HUD. B/B 3/0 No ABS.

Spa 16 Laps
67 Ford MK IV. SS Tires. 75kg ballast No aids/No tuning cockpit view no HUD. B/B 3/1 No ABS.

Example competition GT500's, GT Cars, Tuners and a couple other 66 Classics.

Set up both races with SS tires and ballast. Pro level and AI at 10.

Additional notes
Each race I ran one Pace Lap in last place no passing until start/finish. As usual, the AI is very slow on cold tires. Too easy to pass so I wait.

I don't run these classics enough. SS tires and No ABS makes them just tricky enough that full concentration is needed especially the Ferrari. Takes a few laps and then it got into chasing the next car up. The Ford is a dream at Spa.

At Motegi with the 330, I got into clean air after about 10 laps and was running alone in P6 when at lap 13 the 67 Jag had broken free and got on my bumper. No room for mistakes. Kept watching my rear view and getting a bit nervous. At lap 16, I'd slowed for the chicane and he made an aggressive clean overtake to take a position. I'd never seen an AI try an overtake like that on the last lap. Maybe just a coincidence but it seemed like he got more assertive on that last lap. Great fun, I'll run more of these.

SS tires have become my Race tires now for medium/high powered non LMP Race Cars. SH or SM for GT300 level power.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back