The entire point of the Some Kind of Monster documentary was to show that although the band had been playing together for twenty years, and despite the fact that Hetfield and Ulrich in particular had been best friends for even longer, they still had no idea how everyone else thought. A lot of tension within the band manifested on St. Anger, and there were some realy bizarre decisions going on, like banning guitar solos and writing as they recorded. As difficult as Some Kind of Monster was, without it, they probably wouldn't have been able to clear the air ahead of Death Magnetic, which is easily their best album since ... And Justice for All.getting a $40,000 a month "life coach" for the band...?!
I don't think so much anymore....settling the score with Dave Mustaine and putting the past behind them was definitely a step in the right direction.
I can understand his reasoning, though. He didn't want Newstead going off and joining another band and then having that band's sound contaminate Metallica's future recordings. It was during the Load/ReLoad era, when Metallica was on the receiving end of a lot of criticism for dulling down their sound and going from eight-minute thrash metal epics to four-minute radio-friendly hard rock clones. I personally think a lot of the decisions made in that era weighed heavily on the band as they tried to go back to a time gone by without sounding like they were making a pastiche of their old music. They wanted to be new and old as the same time, and if Newstead had gone off and joined another band and that band's sound started corrupting Metallica's future releases, they may never have been able to go back at all. I think St. Anger is a lot like the Bond film Die Another Day: it was a bad album that we had to have to get the band to wake up to the fact that they'd lost their way, just as Die Another Day was the bad film Bond fans had to endure to get the producers to realise the series had become bloated and was crumbling under its own weight. St. Anger led to Death Magnetic, and Die Another Day let to Casino Royale, two of the best - and certainly in recent times - entries for both Metallica and James Bond. I think that, on a certain level, St. Anger can be appreciated despite its flaws. It's the sum of its parts, a testament to the ribbon of discontent running through the band at the time. There's actually some pretty good stuff on it; the title track and Frantic are respectable efforts, as raw and unpolished as they - and the rest of the album, really - are.Besides, you said it yourself..."Hetfield wouldn't let him start up a side project".
I agree: a band's sideproject can sound unique without corrupting the original band. Them Crooked Vultures sound nothing like Queens of the Stone Age, Foo Fighters or Led Zeppelin despite being made up of Josh Homme, Dave Grohl and John Paul Jones. But until we really know the details of Newstead's plans - and we probably won't - then it's difficult to say what would have happened. But I think that Hetfield's fear was that Newstead's band would sell themselves on their connection of Metallica rather than their actual music and would become something of a Metallica pastiche. If the band Newstead was looking to form (or join) was to be anything like Rockstar: Supernova, then Hetfield made the right call.
I do think that songwise - Death Magnetic is one of the best albums they've made for a long time. 👍
But man it sounds terrible. 👎
I struggle to listen to the whole thing in one go there's just far too much clipping & distortion going on. The first time I listened to the album I thought my speakers were broken.
You may or may not have heard of the Loudness Wars. Well this album has won it hands down, trust me this is not a good thing. There should never be another album released that is as dynamically poor as this, check out this waveform for Cyanide
![]()
The first time I saw that I thought it was a joke, but no thats exactly how they wanted it to be. Lars has even went so far as to say that there's nothing wrong with the sound at all & has tried to pin the blame on Rick Rubins shoulders. Now if there's nothing wrong with the sound why would it be the fault of someone else?
I'm not going to go off on a huge rant about this, but I do think it's a bit out of order that this album got released in this condition. So to answer the OPs question from a different, more technical perspective, I think that whichever member of the band listened to that before it got released & said "Yeah that sounds great" has lost the plot.![]()
Music is an art form whose medium is sound. Common elements of music are pitch (which governs melody and harmony), rhythm (and its associated concepts tempo, meter, and articulation), dynamics, and the sonic qualities of timbre and texture.
it's the mastering stage that has resulted in that compressed, dynamic free mess.
Im certainly sympathetic to your reaction, I get to slam my head against that brick wall every day. In this case the mixes were already brick walled before they arrived at my place. Suffice it to say I would never be pushed to overdrive things as far as they are here. Believe me Im not proud to be associated with this one, and we can only hope that some good will come from this in some form of backlash against volume above all else.
It's shocking isn't it.
Here's another mastering engineers analysis of the cd against the Guitar Hero versions. This was causing a right old stir when the album first came out.
Your dead right about how the average listener perceives overall loudness to be better. Whats also frustrating is knowing that most of your work will probably only get listened to as an mp3 through some tiny little earphones where there's no chance of hearing everything as you intended anyway. It sort of makes you think whats the point of even trying sometimes.
I think the opposite. Garcia wasn't a very good vocalist.Except QOTSA was basically Homme taking what he did in Kyuss and made it worse by him singing instead of John Garcia singing.
Most people in the world will only ever see Niagara Falls on the TV or a post card, it still beats seeing the Manchester Ship Canal in person though![]()
What I would say that record says about Metallica though, is that they were probably only listening to them self at the time of mixing it.
I think the opposite. Garcia wasn't a very good vocalist.