• Thread starter JockeP22
  • 47 comments

Best Metallica studio album

• Total voters
Sweden
Sweden
Note:
Cover albums like Garage Inc., collaboration albums like Lulu
and live albums are not included in the poll.

* The poll will not have an expiration date.
* Single choice only.
* You are allowed to change your vote.

Metallica_-_Kill_%27Em_All_cover.jpg

Metallica_-_Ride_the_Lightning_cover.jpg

Metallica_-_Master_of_Puppets_cover.jpg

Metallica_-_...And_Justice_for_All_cover.jpg

Metallica_-_Metallica_cover.jpg

Metallica_-_Load_cover.jpg

Metallica_-_Reload_cover.jpg

Metallica_-_St._Anger_cover.jpg

Metallica_-_Death_Magnetic_cover.jpg

https://metallica.com/tour/10234 I was there.
I stood in line from ~6am until ~2pm to see them live in November '97
and it was an experience I'll never forget. Still have the ticket.
It was a mini-tour they did around the time they released Reload.
It was a free concert and only the first two hundred or so were
allowed access. There were a few thousand people outside being
denied entry to the gig.

I was a paperboy in '97 and remember listening to Metallica so much on
my routes. I mostly played the ...Justice and Load albums in my headphones.
It was such a dreadful experience to deliver those papers, Metallica really
helped me get through it.

Another fond Metallica memory is having several conversations with my college
buddy Erik on which was the best Metallica album of all time.
My pick was always Ride the Lightning and he stood by Master of Puppets.
We tried to convince each other that each of our choices was the right one and
none of us wanted to give in. I still say I was in the right, but Puppets is a close
second. Erik was a drummer back then and he always used to imitate Lars Ulrich
during class, air-drumming with two pencils or whatever. :lol:

Looking back now on their albums I think ...Justice is #1 all time. That is one hell
of an album and close to a masterpiece. I love those songs & the aggressiveness and
lyrics from Hetfield.

While creating this thread I found my copy of Guitar Hero: Metallica
so I know what I'll be doing tonight. ; )

Ride the Lightning for me. Master of Puppets got me into them but I prefer the pacing of Lightning and in terms of sound quality/production it struck a nice balance between the rawness of Kill Em All and the odd coldness of Justice for All. The songs were just about the right length as well. Always felt that Puppets leaned a little closer to Justice as the drums didn't sound as full as the ones in Lightning.

Saw them at Glastonbury in 2014, was right at the front and they opened with Creeping Death, totally blew my mind.

Metallica released no less than five singles from the black album
(Enter Sandman, The Unforgiven, Nothing Else Matters, Wherever I May Roam and Sad but True)
and it's funny because my favorite from that album isn't any of them.
I've always thought My Friend of Misery was the best one.

Went with ...And Justice For All, second would probably be Ride The Lightning or The Black Album.

I went with Ride the Lightning for these reasons pretty much.

Ride the Lightning for me. Master of Puppets got me into them but I prefer the pacing of Lightning and in terms of sound quality/production it struck a nice balance between the rawness of Kill Em All and the odd coldness of Justice for All. The songs were just about the right length as well. Always felt that Puppets leaned a little closer to Justice as the drums didn't sound as full as the ones in Lightning.

Plus The Call of Ktulu is pure awesomeness.

I went for a rather controversial choice of Load.

I first heard Metallica back in around 1999 when Fuel was the opening song of Hot Wheels Turbo Racing. I loved that song and ended up buying the ReLoad album. Then once I slowly started listening to more of their stuff, the Load album just stuck with me as I felt it seemed the most blues influenced. Don't get me wrong, I love pretty much all of their albums, even the shocker that is St. Anger. But Load was such a huge direction change for them and I feel they pulled it off well.

Kill 'em all has:
- The Four Horsemen

Ride the lightning has:
- For whom the bell tolls
- Fade to black
- Call of the Ktulu
- absolutely no bass

Justice for all has:
- One
- still no bass

Black has:
- Enter Sandman
- Sad but true
- Unforgiven
- Nothing else matters
- My friend of misery

Load has:
- Until it sleeps
- Hero of the day

Re-load has:
- Fuel
- The memory remains
- Unforgiven II

I kinda stopped following at that point. Gotta go with Black.

I rather like the S&M album they did and probably my most listened to Metallica album. I also really liked Garage Inc. As far as their official releases, probably the Black Album is my favorite and I'm one of those people who actually liked Load and Reload.

I gotta venture into the music section of GTP more. Huge Metallica fan, and it still took me a few days to see this thread. I disappoint myself.

Tough choice. Either Ride the Lightning or ...And Justice for All. Personally, I prefer heavy music over thrash metal. There's never really been an album I hated, I found Fuel the same way as @SVT Cobra GT, same game and all, and grew up listening to Load and ReLoad. Kill 'Em All, Lightning, and Master are all classics, the Black Album was hugly popular, Death Magnetic had some great tracks, and St. Anger has a totally different sound to it, that I suprisingly like, but all in all I gotta go with Justice. Doris was just way to cool of a stage prop!

Master Of Puppets.

If I was voting for the album with the best three songs it would be Ride The Lightning though (Fade To Black, For Whom The Bell Tolls, Creeping Death).

By The Shortest Straw I'd say it's not And Justice For All, but Ride the Lightning (sorry for that pun). Lots of Metallica albums have a few songs that just feel unnecessary. They're not bad, infact they're great, but something makes me skip them more often. But Ride the Lightning doesn't have any of those. Other Metallica albums have some better songs, but none of them work quite as well as "an album."

I would have considered Death Magnetic, but I'm sorry. The mix is terrible because someone thought that clipping was good.

....I voted for Master. Why? Simple: Two of my fav Metallica songs are in it: Leper Messiah and Disposable Heroes.

But in all honesty, every album has songs I dig. Excluding Lulu. Defo not that one. Burn that outta history.

I see you are only going with studio albums feat. original recordings - what about Beyond Magnetic EP? Two of the songs in it are not bad at all, you know. Or is it disqualified cuz it's not an full album?

This poll is impossible... I've been a fan since my school days back in the mid 90's. I like them all, from the early MetallicA to the newest. It's easier to say which albums I don't listen to that much. I'd say Death Magnetic, not because it's bad, but because the recording quality is horrendous.

It's a hard choice... Every single album has a least two or three songs that I've called my favorite at one point. So let's review that first:

Kill 'Em All: Whiplash, Seek and Destroy

Ride the Lightning: Fade To Black, For Whom the Bell Tolls, Call of Ktulu

Master of Puppets: Sanitarium, Orion, Battery

...And Justice For All: Blackened, One, Shortest Straw

MetallicA: Enter Sandman, Wherever I may Roam, The God That Failed

Load: Bleeding Me, King Nothing, The Outlaw Torn

Reload: The Memory Remains (the song that sealed the deal for me), Carpe Diem Baby, Fixxxer

Garage Inc: Mercyful Fate (I know it doesn't count, but that meadly is epic)

S&M: Every single song in it.

St. Anger: Frantic, St. Anger, The Unnamed Feeling

Death Magnetic: The Unforgiven III

So let's see...It was a tough decision, but I think the S&M is my favorite, simply because it has most of the songs I like in a very unique performance, plus the two little gems that were never heard again. I know it doesn't count and it's not in the list, but that's my though.

However, in the pole I had to go with ReLoad because it was the very first MetallicA album I bought, and what turned me into a MetallicA fan.

I agree with @HuskyGT, this poll is so difficult! Every album is amazing in it's own right. However, if I had to choose one, it'd be Death Magnetic. It was my first Metallica album and it's what really introduced me to Metallica back in '08. Before DM the only Metallica song I knew of was Fuel from a Hot Wheels game I played as a kid. I just wish that it didn't sound like they recorded the album with a phone, the quality is so poor.

I've been a Metallica fan from the first time I saw the music video of One. That blew my friggin mind :bowdown:

I have every album they've released, including Garage Inc & S&M except for Lulu with Lou Reed & Beyond Magnetic. I also have, in my opinion, the best live concert ever released on DVD, Stunning, err, I mean, Cunning Stunts :D

For me, Metallica is one of the rare bands that has moved with the styles of the times from Kill Em All to Death Magnetic. Ageless legends in my book & I've already put down my deposit for Hardwired To Self Distruct.
Chances are I'm going to need new speakers 24 hours after its release.

Which album did I vote for? Black.

No, it's in order at my trusted CD seller.
Why do you ask?

I normally order my CDs through Amazon and no UK retailer that I can find or trust has the Deluxe version available to order.

Ordered mine through their website and I've only got an email saying they'll inform me when I'm charged for it. Still haven't been charged.

I normally order my CDs through Amazon and no UK retailer that I can find or trust has the Deluxe version available to order.

Ordered mine through their website and I've only got an email saying they'll inform me when I'm charged for it. Still haven't been charged.
I consider myself a Metallica fan but I had no idea they were even close to releasing a new album until I spotted the invitation to pre-order at my store :eek:

I don't have a credit card so ordering online or through websites isn't an option for me.

If I was to trust a site though, it would be the band's official site.

I consider myself a Metallica fan but I had no idea they were even close to releasing a new album until I spotted the invitation to pre-order at my store :eek:

I don't have a credit card so ordering online or through websites isn't an option for me.

If I was to trust a site though, it would be the band's official site.

I've been following their updates a while and saw they were writing stuff. But the announcement came out of nowhere.

I do trust the band's website I just wondered if I was in the same boat as everyone else.

EDIT: found out I am, I won't be charged until they send me the album. How nice.

Last edited:
I was just suggested this video over at YouTube. : )

....Yeah, me too. The Big Brother is watching....

However, I'm not 100% convinced of the song they chose to release ahead of the album's launch - the title track itself.

While Ride the Lightning was the album that got me into them, And Justice for All is for all is an absolute masterpiece. The amount of detail and feel put into every song shows so well (except for the bass parts :lol:) and makes for such an amazing listening experience.
How the quality of Metallica's lyrical content went from

"Back to the womb that's much too real, In pumps life that I must feel"

to

"saaaaiiiittt aaaannggeeeerrrrr 'rroouuuuunnndd maaaa neeeeck (repeated a billion times)
YOUPU****OUT,YOUPU****OUT"

is beyond me.

Back