Are Racing Modifications returning?

Do you think Racing Modifications will make a comeback for GT7?

• Total voters
Brazil
Brazil
wagnerFAM98
Polyphony Digital said loud and clear: "The best features from the past of the franchise are returning." This got us all thinking what exactly are these best features according to them.

One of the first things that came to my mind were the racing modifications. They were indeed a great feature and you could get pretty cool racing machines by modifying your street legal car. So I honestly think it is making a comeback.

In my opinion, we could see its return on a GT5-styled way. Considering that all GT Sport's cars are returning for GT7 (which is logical, to say the least), we already have a portion of the cars that were available to race modify back then on GT5. Basically GT7 could be a GT5+ in terms of racing modifications: same concept, same original models available to RM, just with a few more new cars to increase the selection.

Oh, and don't forget we now have the livery editor, which would make it all way, way cooler than it was on GT5.

Here's an example using the R33 Skyline:

TEST.jpg

I liked the race mods, it would be nice to see them return. But maybe GT7 could move away from pre-set race mods and allow us to fit different body parts independantly of each other, so we choose what bumper, bonnet and wing etc. That would allow you to make the care more unique to you but it could take more work to implement.

As for the questiosn of will they return, we don't yet know unfortunately.

I liked the race mods, it would be nice to see them return. But maybe GT7 could move away from pre-set race mods and allow us to fit different body parts independantly of each other, so we choose what bumper, bonnet and wing etc. That would allow you to make the care more unique to you but it could take more work to implement.

As for the questiosn of will they return, we don't yet know unfortunately.

So basically the aero kits from GT5-6, only expanded? I personally also want to see them return.

So basically the aero kits from GT5-6, only expanded? I personally also want to see them return.
Yes pretty much that, there were some really interesting mods for some cars in GT6.

I hope the fictional race cars GT had currently, like the Gr 2/3/4/B cars, are turned into the base car's racing modifications.

The inverse to what happened in GT6 (RM being removed, the RM cars turned into separate cars)

And also bring Quick Tune to adjust the cars immediately into Gr 2/3/4/B class performance, buying all the parts required for it at once.

I don't see it returning. Since most Gr.3 and Gr.4 cars are pretty much racing modified versions of road cars. So what Gr. category would these new racing modified cars be? But who knows maybe because this will be more of a classic styled Gran Turismo game it returns.

I want them back. They started to do so with GT5 but gived up for GT6. All their actual "fake" race cars could enter to that category. What I like about this system is that it gives a feeling of further progression.

I want them back. They started to do so with GT5 but gived up for GT6. All their actual "fake" race cars could enter to that category. What I like about this system is that it gives a feeling of further progression.
You mean the franchise started with those? GT1 and GT2 had them for almost every cars but disappeared since then, with GT5 only containing 17 of them.
hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:
I thinkj @suomi1 meant they started to bring them back in GT5, not that they first appearerd in GT5. But I'm sure they can clarify if they want to.

EDIT: And he did, beat my post by nanoseconds :lol:.

Seeing these race mod pics makes me nostalgic, and it's not that long since I last played GT2 albit with @pez2k ;s rather fabulous GT2 Plus mod which restoring unused content back into the game.

Last edited:
I've said this before, but I'll say it again. I think the return of the RM system - or some sort of feature that'd serve as a spiritual successor - would be an excellent way to obtain the various made-for-game racing versions of various road cars, as well as the tuners, like the Mazda Roadster Touring Car. You'd even need to get the respective made-for-game homologation special for the respective race car, like for the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Final Edition Gr.B Rally Car, or the Alfa Romeo 4C Gr.3 Race Car. Otherwise, you'd buy the other race cars/tuners right from the dealership, such as the Nissan GT-R GT3, or the Porsche Cayman GT4 ClubSport. This could be on top of people essentially being able to craft their own tuners, like how in GT6, you could add flat floors, diffusers, and canards. It also would potentially free up some of the space in the dealership menus if the made-for-game race cars, rally cars, and tuners were left to the RM mechanic.

Alternatively, these made-for-game modified cars could still be available from the dealership, but if you already have its road-going equivalent, it may be cheaper to use the RM feature instead. Personally, I'd at least deduct the cost of the road car from the cost of the race car, and have that be the cost of RM-ing the road car into that respective racer/tuner. Perhaps the discount could be even more, making it more cost-efficient to buy the road car and use the RM feature - that is, as long as you RM it when it's stock, and you don't want to try crafting your own tuned machine, first. In that case, it could be a waste of credits, as a lot of parts would be replaced with those that comply with the respective final class of the car, whether it be a higher N-Series class for a tuner, or Gr.3 for examples.

Last edited:
The game economy may have to reflect these options. Maybe the same rate it takes to build Mileage Points.

I Would love them to, but the issue would be how they affect the FIA race classes, the GR's. There is evidence that PP may be making a return to GT7, the values used in previous titles to determine the performance class of cars. To prevent any kind of unbalancing in GR. classes, RM (Race modified cars) may have to be PP dependent rather than class dependent, since the performance of fully RM cars differed greatly. Or then again, what would be more risky is RM cars having their own class, being further divided into sub divisions depending on performance.

This means you won’t be able enter a RM'd car into let’s say a WTC/GR.4/GR.3 only race, since those races are intended for the FIA accredited cars.

So, the only way to race them against FIA cars would be in uncategorized open free for all races where B.O.P. is not a factor, the only restrictions there in being perhaps, power and weight restrictions with a pp cap. That way you could have more accuracy and freedom of just where you intend your RM'd LC500 would fit for example. I'd imagine there would be a plethora of these kind of races, especially throughout the career campaign, GT has always featured run what you bring race formulas with the PP limits correlating with race event tiers (beginner to expert races)

In past GT games where RM was possible, the amount of downforce an RM car could potentially generate was quite modest but still very effective. This makes sense, as it's not like you’re creating them from the ground up, but rather using the shell of the original road legal vehicle. So, making silhouettes or prototypes most likely won’t be possible.
maxresdefault.jpg

It would be awesome, but we are talking about the hopeful return of a feature that PD can’t seem to decide how it will work and whether to keep it in the series. Creating Silhouette/prototype race cars like that in the image above through an RM feature would be more like the direct result of this feature expanding, had it stuck around.

Not to say that should the I8 make an appearance in GT7 and race modifying it was possible, couldn’t end up looking like something similar, but yeah, we got to be reasonable about this feature returning and what it could produce. But at the same time, history tells us that the RM feature in GT games was always great for creativity such as that.

I mentioned this before in a similar thread, but with this modest performance expectation of RM cars, I'd imagine that it might just be plausible that the maximum downforce an RM car could generate would sit between a GR.4 and GR.3 car. In the end, the FIA race cars would be what you should aspire to, and would be the focus in game. The purpose for RM cars would then be more for fun experimental purposes and other ways to interact with modifying and personalizing cars next to livery editor.

All theoretic of course.

Unlike the real world though, PD should make RM cars a cheaper viable option monetary wise, compared to buying manufactured prepared race cars. Meaning RM cars could be done quite early into your career in GT7 without having big pockets, giving us the incentive. Fully race modifying a MK4 MX-5 may cost you 50k, while race modifying a Gen 1 NSX might cost you 90k etc, the more expensive the base the more expensive the RM service.

Lastly, should racing RM cars in bopped events with FIA cars be possible such as multiclass racing (should that be implemented) RM cars may be heavily restricted in these cases, with high weights and less HP. If RM cars do end up having their own class with sub divisions, it would be a little bit more believable for joint races with FIA and RM cars to happen. As long as they are placed correctly in corresponding classes.

Should grids sizes ever augment as such in GT7, perhaps a way to envision how such a race event with a plethora of classes racing together could function, would be to inspect the super Taikyu and 24-hour series. In both cases the GT3 cars are the fastest machines on the track.
maxresdefault.jpg

Verkehr%20TCE%202.JPG

Last edited:
I still have not seen an answer why this car was not in the franchise.
nissan-caruso-e1436140262792.png

image34.png

V8 Supercars have granted the licence to Forza at a time. There is the 2013 Falcon in Project Cars and new models in GRID. Thing is, if we do get RMs, something like what we had with the BTCC s in GT2, would suffice.

Like this NZV8 Camry
herbert.jpg

As mentioned above, maybe the GR.4 cars could be the RMs and official race cars be in their official, respective classes.

Edit: Some simple RMs would be converting classics to their race variants
biga.jpg

1971_Ferrari_365GTB4DaytonaCompetizioneS11.jpg

QMu6BDVey3F60JH20UkyB8w9xGZFRbuhilIbW2sNDNC1sIureBZ1NHQQKd0VVRYWbqdgxehwYk5nUS3j3xGKLPHQtlkF80yiomw_nqbhgRkgFnolj0f9ZZDSQGkjTesLHXCfuSfVl97ihMMUTG8

TED_4128.jpg

2-1522425065512.jpg

full

Last edited:
I would love to get the RM feature back! However, I think it only makes sense if the majority of road cars can be modified.

With some 20 cars that can be RM'd, your essentially just acquire these few fictional race cars from the tuning shop instead of the dealership and they need to slot into existing classes of race cars to have much of a point.

With a sufficiently large number of race modifiable cars, one could well have a category specifically for RM cars, potentially with sub classes depending on performance.

If the RM cars don't have to conform to actual racing classes, they might even get by with modified interiors (racing seats, added rollcage, you get the idea) instead of being modelled from the ground up. Might reduce the time it takes PD to model a RM car significantly, I imagine.

Last edited:
I would expect RM to return, but limited to a few cars such as it was in GT6, if the game is being released as soon as it is, also expect modifications to cars will probably limited to rear wings, spoilers, etc.,. I would love to have RM on the scale that it was in GT2 where there always seemed to be a surprise around the corner.

I don't think they'll be returning, at least not in the traditional GT1/2 style.

If you think of this from a PD perspective, it probably takes them almost the same amount of time converting those road cars to race cars (exterior + interior) than making a new race car from scratch. So why have them listed as 1 car, when you can have 2 cars and pad the car count on the back of the game box?

In GTS for example some cars have road, Gr.4, Gr.3, Gr.B and Gr Road variants. For me they are all basically RM versions of the base car. You just buy them separately as opposed to "upgrading" them.

It's PD though. They took time to model a concept FT-86...and then another one(II)... and then a final debut road car... and then a soft race car... a race car... a Gazoo Racing Concept. Also, Subaru and Scion versions.

GTS have the 86 '15 & '16, GRMN and GR.4 & GR.B Rally Car. It wouldn't be out of character for PD to place an 86 front clip on a no livery-Falken Tire BRZ and name that a Base Model Toyota 86 Drift RM.

A mystery will be the Starion. We had the yellow Rally Car, but no road car. Now that the road car appears to be coming, will we see a race car version? An RM would allow that. Could just be the Rally body, but again, I wouldn't put it past PD to do such a thing.

One of the Quick Battles in GT6 featured a group of GT3 cars, along with a Z06 RM (which received similar BoP treatments to GT3 cars). Maybe select race modified vehicles can enter Group races... Who knows?

The past Gts were cool in that PD modelled the road car, tuned and race cars. It's possible PD could do the same by scaling back each indivual car, to give us the Race Modified versions, in steps. Similar to what the OP posted.

S2000
upload_2020-11-26_16-16-29.jpeg

S2000(Amuse S2000 Street Version)/Spoon: minor modifications to exhaust, suspension, tyres, front aero lip splitter
upload_2020-11-26_16-6-22.jpeg

upload_2020-11-26_16-16-1.jpeg

S2000 track tuned(Amuse R1): SS tyres, light engine modifications, heavily tuned suspension, more aero enhancements
upload_2020-11-26_16-7-50.jpeg

S2000 RAcing Modification(Amuse GT1): extreme engine tune, widebody kit/aero, track tuned suspension, SS or RH tyres
MtMgX6_7wQqzg48NpBlhWe4J2BrhuW9qkhdWj0WB3ZcQPstARQ-zwdjBjiMYciNRUsKIyIJlbPLhTcZq47U

S2000 Race Modification: choose by Class Gr.4, Gr.3
latest

maxresdefault.jpg

Im going to say that its a relic of a past age.

Why wouldnt you just have the race version ready to purchase from "brand central"?

Further why not just make a meal out of it so there's...

an R34 GTR road car

an R34 GTR Gr3 road car

an R34 GTR Gr4

an R34 GTR GrB

look at the boosted car list!!!!

I'm going to say that its a relic of a past age.

Well, I do get that it is a thing from days gone past, since race series regulation tend to favor factory-built racers (regular race-modified touring cars are quick to be replaced with the TCR format, for example), and most custom/GT Auto race modified cars will not be able to be used in competitive multiplayer for the same reason (https://www.roadandtrack.com/motors...ilt-gt-cars-are-replacing-homebrew-race-cars/)... Although I would like to see a place where I can race my race-modified Civic or GT-R.

Thing is, from the trailer, we now have parts to buy. It's the same as a UCD. WHy have the UCD when we can currently buy an old, discontinued car, next to the new cars?

An RM is another option. How detailed the options to buy parts and what cosmetic parts are available in GT7, is an unknown. There's nothing wrong with PD just making turn key race cars. I'm for an R34 from road car to Gr.B. Not just a relic from an age past, but I'll even choose a different car:

upload_2020-11-26_17-56-0.jpeg

images

WHy couldn't we have the option to buy these parts? I'd want a wider track alone for the road car. People that drag race would love to fit those wide tyres out back. We were given the straight up RM, with nothing inbetween.

Look at the Porsches in GTS. Most of them have standard roll cages for the sport models. The 993 CS pretty much has a stripped out race interior. All that's missing are racing slicks and I think a fire extinguisher( I have to check :sly:). Anyway, the idea of buying parts, is to build your chosen machine. The RM is just an option for a race package.

Last edited:
Having another thought. The Gr.4 Supra is essentially half an RM. Something like the TVR, could have benefitted from having its past RM included in GT Sport. That would religate it to no man's land like the Gr.4 Veyron and Supra, but it'd be another option. I mean, for whatever reason we didn't get the new TVR that's in TVR's Brand Central video, only PD know.
Having those tyre RM options makes a case for nostaligic content, but it gives players the feel of building a base car into a weekend racer.

Latest Posts

Back