Are Racing Modifications returning?

Do you think Racing Modifications will make a comeback for GT7?

• Total voters
So apparently, racing modifications are not making a comeback, however there's this "wide body" option that really caught my attention.

Widebody.jpg

This might offer a really close experience to an RM if you combine with racing tuning parts and a racing livery.

It would be great to have the old R mods that were based on actual racing cars back (pour one out for the Hoyt Overbaugh Daytona Camaro) but if there's already a livery editor and wide-body mods I'm not expecting them to return.

Ive never bought a real life widebody kit for any of my cars, but it could be a kit like the Rocket Bunny parts on the FuguZ. A widebody probably costs less than a full body rigidity.
I didn't specify my point but I was talking about the full Race Modification. It can't be that.

Some of the prices could be placeholders of course as well. We’ve already seen place holder menu screens.

And/of the price might vary depending on the car.

It‘s too early to tell.

I didn't specify my point but I was talking about the full Race Modification. It can't be that.
We'd need more info. I think in GT1, the RM were about 75,000CR. In GT5(?) or GT6, the price for RM varied by car. RM might be more than 5,000CR. We'll see.

So apparently, racing modifications are not making a comeback, however there's this "wide body" option that really caught my attention.

View attachment 1079400

This might offer a really close experience to an RM if you combine with racing tuning parts and a racing livery.
Hmm man I wish the RM feature would return but I doubt it its just too big of a feature to have nowadays for every car that GT has. Its cheaper putting the racecars themselves individually.

If we are going to turn our road cars into a racecar like with these modifications hopefully the interiors can be turned into a racing car with roll cages and a racing steering wheel.

A full on Racing Modification needs:
  • Full bodykit and racing interior
  • Weight reduction beyond Stage 3
  • Front and rear downforce

If it's just visual bodykit, then it doesn't count as RM in my book. The rear wing in GT6 does add downforce but only a little bit, and front bumpers don't even add any so the cars end up being an understeering mess at high speeds because there is no way to balance the rear DF.

Hmm man I wish the RM feature would return but I doubt it its just too big of a feature to have nowadays for every car that GT has. Its cheaper putting the racecars themselves individually.

If we are going to turn our road cars into a racecar like with these modifications hopefully the interiors can be turned into a racing car with roll cages and a racing steering wheel.
The GR.4 Supra need this.

I feel like this widebody option can be something very similar to Gr. 3 Road Cars from GTS
And for the opposite of the potential usage of fictional race cars later, in GT5 the racing modifications only take 17 cars, and in GT6 those RM cars are turned into separate race cars like Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 (C6) LM Race Car '09.

I don't think the Racing Mod concept will come back as PD probably now prefers putting the time towards other things like more real-life race cars or at least cars for their eSports series. and if I'm honest, I kinda prefer if they wouldn't because in GT5, there weren't many and they were a bit fictional. Time on those could've been spent of real-life counterparts. I.E. Corvette C6R instead of the Corvette C6 Z06 RM or the 1970 Dodge Challenger Trans Am instead of the RM.

It could be done again, but if it was; I would prefer if they do it a bit differently. PD just needs to make real-world race cars the Racing Mods this time. For instance, if you were to buy a R32 Skyline GT-R in the dealership and upgrade it with a Racing Modification; it should become a full-on Group A Skyline GT-R JTCC this time. or if you upgrade the Porsche 911 GT1 street version shown in the first GT7 trailer; it would turn into the full-on GT1 race car from that year.

Gran Turismo 1 & 2 kinda did this already, but it wasn't fully authentic. It was just a skin applied to a road car with aerodynamics added (wings and bumpers). Here in GT7, it should be more than a skin, the real deal. Kinda like what has been done in the first Crew game actually. You were able to take a road car into a racing shop and turn it into the race car equivalent.

I don't think the Racing Mod concept will come back as PD probably now prefers putting the time towards other things like more real-life race cars or at least cars for their eSports series. and if I'm honest, I kinda prefer if they wouldn't because in GT5, there weren't many and they were a bit fictional. Time on those could've been spent of real-life counterparts. I.E. Corvette C6R instead of the Corvette C6 Z06 RM or the 1970 Dodge Challenger Trans Am instead of the RM.

It could be done again, but if it was; I would prefer if they do it a bit differently. PD just needs to make real-world race cars the Racing Mods this time. For instance, if you were to buy a R32 Skyline GT-R in the dealership and upgrade it with a Racing Modification; it should become a full-on Group A Skyline GT-R JTCC this time. or if you upgrade the Porsche 911 GT1 street version shown in the first GT7 trailer; it would turn into the full-on GT1 race car from that year.

Gran Turismo 1 & 2 kinda did this already, but it wasn't fully authentic. It was just a skin applied to a road car with aerodynamics added (wings and bumpers). Here in GT7, it should be more than a skin, the real deal. Kinda like what has been done in the first Crew game actually. You were able to take a road car into a racing shop and turn it into the race car equivalent.
Well, personally I wouldn't agree for relegating the real life race cars into RM cars of the road cars, only the fictional ones I agree (if you'd disagree of fictional RMs, how about fictional race cars like Gr cars or in previous GTs, something like RX-7 LM?). CMIIW; Road-going version of the cars, are different enough to drive from the race spec versions, not to mention that there are cars that are made specifically for racing from the start, just being based of a road car (or later being adaptated as road car), though it depends as there are cars that you modify to race, but that's mainly in earlier days of racing.

Not to mention the car performances, you may get the racecar look, but not necessarily the performance. Other than the hp number, like if you modify and upgrade a road car, yeah it may turn into better car; faster, sharper cornering, etc., but there's still would be traces of the stock road car trait there, as every upgrades (including racing trait upgrades from the road car) rooted from there. The racecars would have their own path in performance upgrade like they can have 493 hp without being fitted with Turbo Kit Stage 1 or such, while with your suggestion probably the car have to be fitted with some parts like that to gain the accurate number of hp, but it's not the same.

Well, personally I wouldn't agree for relegating the real life race cars into RM cars of the road cars,
Neither did I, I just said that they should be actual race cars.
(if you'd disagree of fictional RMs, how about fictional race cars like Gr cars or in previous GTs, something like RX-7 LM?)
I partially wouldn't say not to that, but I prefer if they focus on real-life cars this time. If the Honda NSX Type R has a RM, I want it to be the actual LM GT2 from 1995 and not the replica car we got in GT5.

Not to mention the car performances, you may get the racecar look, but not necessarily the performance. Other than the hp number, like if you modify and upgrade a road car, yeah it may turn into better car; faster, sharper cornering, etc., but there's still would be traces of the stock road car trait there, as every upgrades (including racing trait upgrades from the road car) rooted from there.
I just said that...
Gran Turismo 1 & 2 kinda did this already, but it wasn't fully authentic. It was just a skin applied to a road car with aerodynamics added (wings and bumpers).

For sure. I'd like the real cars as well. I think the body parts allow PD to get through some hurdles of locating cars. Seeing the Hakosuka Skyline, whether PD were able to locate a race version, we may indeed get that RM from GT2. Okay, maybe PD rebranded RM as widebody. We'll see.

If PD want to go past licencing, they could offer body kits for the E30 M3 and 190E Evo. It'll be about what happened from the start of GT7 development up to the pandemic and what they're doing now with outsourcing.

Really hope gtplanet can get an interview with Kaz, to ask a few questions about the outsourcing and plain getting in contact with owners, to model whatever cars.

Edit: Just an addition to what is possible.

It's what PD could do from the past games and what "new" widebody kits we could get for various cars that didn't have widebodies before.

Last edited:
I actually had no idea GT5 offered a limited number of racing modifications. I hit a rough patch at around the time of GT5 and GT6 - I definitely owned both games but somebody took it upon themselves to free me of their burden, along with all my PS3 content. For whatever reason I basically don't remember these games at all. I do remember velociraptor Jeff Gordon though, that one is burned into my brain permanently.

Anyway, GT2's modifications were glorious but I was too young to appreciate their depth at the time. Hopefully GT7's mods combined with liveries will allow a decent compromise.

So here's a very interesting statement from Kaz about the return of the Racing Modifications. Apparently, we'll be able to turn a road car - almost - into a race car with all the tuning options available.

a0466cf9-0711-4864-b8f3-09b07e0ef0d9.jpg

Back