Are you a collector?

• Thread starter binici
  • 184 comments
1:64 die cast cars (like Cano said, but not on nearly as big of a scale...I'm at around 200 or so?), classical and jazz recordings, paper clips, and sometimes car brochures (at least whenever I get the chance to go to an auto show). I guess you could say I collect Dixon Ticonderoga pencils as well; I'm still in the process of using up the 96 I got about 2 and a half years ago. :D

I used to kind of collect playing card decks. I stopped long ago. I'm not really collecting anything now.

As for the card collection, I still have it. Stuff like Bicycle Guardians, Shadow Masters, Military, Ghost, Black Ghost, Black Tiger, Tally Ho Viper, couple decks from the Wynn... Gold-edged Aladdins, Studs, and more I can't really recall off my head.

Last edited:
Actually, this thread would be more impressive with pics... why don't we post pics of our collections? makes 'em more impressive!

Some impressive collections already pictured here - but I’ll start out my oddities with these - some ’Military Money’:
093.jpg

Really old coins - probably used during WWII:
096.jpg

Coins with holes in them, so you could string them up:
101.jpg

^^Nice collection of cash there man!

Yes I'm collector, but mainly only stupid stuff no-one would care about:

Various old Australian coins, ranging from threepences to the old 1 cent coins.

Brake pads for my bike, I always think I'll run out so yeah :sly:

Pens, because everyone needs a pen, right?

PS2 games, which is pretty obvious.

Last edited:
Well I have several hobbies that lead into full blown collecting or just a limited collection
Guitars
Cars
Guns
Manga/comic books (more so manga)
My original artwork

The first three are limited or what I consider limited.

Some Model cars as well.

Update:
-1:64 scale cars (i.e. hot wheels, matchbox, majorette, etc.)
-anime static figures
-Steward's soda bottles
-coins & bills; specifically foreign coins, US State quarters, CDN Provincial quarters, any special CDN mints (i.e. poppy seed, breast cancer, Legendary Nature), a CDN penny from each year (currently have 1970-2011; trying to build on earlier pennies) as pennies are discontinued now so collecting one of each year has more value to me, and lastly, old CDN bills.

Last edited:
I collect plenty of junk. Majority is Star Wars related (like you didn't see that coming!). Here is a small portion of the SW junk I have:

The video games (i've posted this on GTP before, but here it is again) 96 games (95 in the shot) and 2 consoles:
mygames.jpg

Boba Fetts (I have some more since I took this shot)
bobrq.jpg

Darth Vader collection:
vaderp.jpg

I've also got countless other Star Wars junk, including books, comics, clothes, Stormtrooper helmet, lego, shoes, the list goes on.

I mainly collect diecast cars but will get nearly anything if it has something to do with a car I like. I also have a large collection of lego and dvds.

I used to collect basketball cards, but mostly Rod Strickland cards(NBA, 9th all-time assist leader). At one time, I think I probably had the best collection of Rod Strickland basketball cards in the world.

I just lost interest after while, and finally, just recently started to unload them little by little on eBay. One of my favorite card is in my profile pic. ;) No, I don't have that one anymore either. I sold it. :(

A couple years ago, I started buying Hot Wheels for my then two year old nephew, I got caught up in it. I collected that for little while, and I still buy several of those a month, so I guess that's what I collect right now.

DVD collection, that was a great idea. :crazy:
Why you no post in the "Real Guns" thread!

Manga/comic books (more so manga)
👍

I used to collect basketball cards, but mostly Rod Strickland cards(NBA, 9th all-time assist leader). At one time, I think I probably had the best collection of Rod Strickland basketball cards in the world.

I just lost interest after while, and finally, just recently started to unload them little by little on eBay. One of my favorite card is in my profile pic. ;) No, I don't have that one anymore either. I sold it. :(

I collected Charles Barkley cards when I was young. Ended up with 68 which I actually only just came across a few months back when doing some spring cleaning. Not really sure what to do with them, might consider selling them on ebay, although I'm not sure what the going rate is for cards these day, might not be worth the effort.

barkley.jpg

Not really sure what to do with them, might consider selling them on ebay, although I'm not sure what the going rate is for cards these day, might not be worth the effort.
Beckett price guide is what sets the general hi/low price. I think over 90% of the cards are worth very little to nothing, but most of serial numbered, or autographed cards(official auto from the card company) are worth money, especially of Sir Charles. I think I do have handful of cards you got in your pic there, but unfortunately, I don't think they are worth a whole lot. They are still very cool though, especially the Dream Team ones. 👍

I probably have something like 300 or way more serial numbered cards. This particular one was one of the three cards I had that is numbered 1 of 1.

0IMG_0499.jpg

I might never sell this one, as it just might be my favorite card out of everything I have. The blue ink autograph card in my profile pic I'm not sure how much the value was, but I sold it for $199. I suggest checking out eBay's "completed items" search. That might give you an rough idea of what the going rate is.

Ah it's sports time again. As you may or not know, McDonald's seem to partner everything from the Olympic games to the (soccer ball) World Cup. At this time the release 6 coloured CokeCola glasses with every super-sized meal.

I'm never satisfied with one of each colour. From the last World Cup I got 33 of them. For this Olympics I only have 4 so far but that will change. Bring on the junk food.

Diecast cars mainly, I collect pretty anything from 1.18 scale right down to 1.64 Hotwheels/Matchbox scale. I also have of hundreds of basketball cards from the early to mid '90's.

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/8544/dsc02710c.jpg
One of my bookshelves. Notables are the (small) sci-fi book collection on the top shelf (and yes, I have read them all), the Calvin & Hobbes collection on the bottom shelf (every released book collection except that complete $300 one), and my car and train book collections on the 2nd to bottom shelf.

http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/830/dsc02707d.jpg
Bookshelf #2. Top shelf: my (small) CD collection. 2nd shelf: my music collection (and complete first 4 seasons of the A-Team :D ). 3rd shelf: my Top Gear and Road & Track magazine collections.

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/1928/dsc02705m.jpg
My pride and joy, my brass instrument collection. In the picture, from left to right: mellophonium, euphonium, bass trombone, jazz trombone (bottom right on the ground). In the back standing upright are five 14th-century coach horns. A sixth one, out of frame, is shaped like a miniature French horn. Also pictured, besides the mouthpieces already in the instruments, are 2 additional euphonium mouthpieces, 4 additional bass trombone mouthpieces, and 1 additional jazz trombone mouthpiece. Finally, also pictured are the mutes for the instruments, including the massive euphonium straight mute (guess where?), a straight mute, cup mute and harmon mute for the bass trombone (top right), and a straight mute, cup mute, bucket mute and plunger for the jazz trombone. Yes, you read that right, it's a plunger. Trombonists and trumpeters use them to great effect, especially in jazz.

Oh, I collect books. Have a library full in both England and China. Mostly non-fiction but some sci-fi stuff and what not. Mostly all from charity shops, too. I don't think I ever paid more than £5 for a book, and the ones that I own over that price were gifts that I'd requested.

W3HS
Oh, I collect books. Have a library full in both England and China. Mostly non-fiction but some sci-fi stuff and what not. Mostly all from charity shops, too. I don't think I ever paid more than £5 for a book, and the ones that I own over that price were gifts that I'd requested.

But do you read them though? :sly:

Oh, and I collect bottle caps. If there will ever be a nuclear apocalypse then I'll be the one who's rich. :sly: 👍

My father collects sports collectables. From a St. Louis Cardinal Busch Light Sign to a Dale Earnhardt Car Cake Mix to a bottle of Junior Johnson's moonshine, he has it all.

I have quite a bunch of Monopoly boards. I never really intended on collecting them, but it's starting to grow into a collection

Gt5 Cars and Paints? Yes! That's Me! 👍

I have started collecting 1/64 scale cars, specifically Hot wheels and occasionally Matchbox if I find anything pretty.

Update:
-1:64 scale cars (i.e. hot wheels, matchbox, majorette, etc.)
-anime static figures
-Steward's soda bottles
-coins & bills; specifically foreign coins, US State quarters, CDN Provincial quarters, any special CDN mints (i.e. poppy seed, breast cancer, Legendary Nature), a CDN penny from each year (currently have 1970-2011; trying to build on earlier pennies) as pennies are discontinued now so collecting one of each year has more value to me, and lastly, old CDN bills.

Well there you have it. I'm still collecting 1:64 cars and currency. Steward's soda bottles were always passive collection, more like a hoard though. The figurines are going to stop soon. Because I'm spending too much money on Hot Wheels, figurine collecting is going to cease. Oh, and I've collected all the commemorative loonies and Canadian quarters now. Pennies I'll probably never finish, nickels and dimes I don't really care about. All that's left to expand on is foreign coins, and hope to god I don't get into collecting foreign bills.

I sort of have a collection of football/soccer magazines..its Fourfourtwo magazine, which ive been buying for over ten years and what i do is when i buy a copy i read it and keep it for a year then read it again then throw it out..for example, if i buy Decembers edition i read it keep it till next December when i read it again then throw it out so i ve always got twelve copies..

..ive also got a couple of footbal programmes..

I really want to start collecting something new, as a hobby more than anything but don't know what.

My current collections include stolen lighters and napkins, I was thinking about collecting something that doesn't take up much space and won't imped my possession free kind of life style.

I've already checked out model cars which are so cool, but I don't want to have lots of things hanging around that I feel tied to. Maybe I should collect atoms. Any ideas?

Miniature liquour bottles, Shem, you know the ones they hand out on airlines. I have a friend who has hundreds on a mantlepiece - really nice to pick them up and examine them - alcohol from all over the world.
Go for it, man!

Alright, what do I collect? Hot Wheels/matchbox/other cars, monopoly games, playing cards, and Lego.

Also, I'm a "rare hunter"... ;) a Yu-gi-oh! Card Collector...

Collecting rare cards is an unnecessarily expensive hobby IMO. Trading cards to me are a fad more than a trend, and it being a card game doesn't have a whole lot of value to anyone who isn't into the hobby.

Rare things are one thing, but cards are simply just prints on a piece of paper, and it's not like it's tied to any sort of world history or of similar status of that caliber.

My 2 cents on the matter.

I really want to start collecting something new, as a hobby more than anything but don't know what.

I've already checked out model cars which are so cool, but I don't want to have lots of things hanging around that I feel tied to. Maybe I should collect atoms. Any ideas?

Resist model cars because that requires a lot of space. You could do a passive collection that is collecting currency. As tacky as it sounds, you won't come across foreign currency all too often unless you deal with money on the job, but the good thing about it is that physical space for this will be small since it's not a collection that will grow exponentially quick. You don't need to obsess over anything, but it's like those "hey look what I found. I've never seen it before" moments. I don't know if you will, but when I find some older currency, I end up looking up the history of the respective countries' currency, learning about the changes made in what got circulated and whatnot.

Last edited:
Back