Are you a freak?

• Thread starter Zolon32
  • 25 comments
United Kingdom
England
Zolon32
Ladies and Gentlemen, like most people on here I guess, I have been an ardent fan of Gran Turismo since the first moment I encountered it, in my case that was in 1999. Since the arrival of GT5 I have competed in well organised league racing and, over the past couple of years, I've dropped ABS, switched to hard damage and, most recently, have been taking part in longer races where the weather has a say in the outcome.

Through this I've found myself in the company of some very fast, serious, racers (Who kick my butt I must add), but even so I can't find anyone who really loves what I like to think of a seriously serious racing. Racing where your use of your right foot is as important as your wheel. In short, 600pp road cars, minimum 1,400kg, no down force, sports soft tyres, hard damage, the possibility of rain, and with all assists off.

This sounds like heaven to me, but I'm told that it marks me out as a freak, and I have to say, judging by how few people seem to want to do it, I think they might be right.

Come on GTers, there's got to be some other freaks out there, aren't there?

Cheers, Zolon.

that actually sounds like a challenge rather than a freakshow, i'd be down, but your in england, im in usa....so hopefully ill see you on sometime, add me on PSN so i can find your lobby sometime

If you ever played Forza 2 (maybe later ones) that is completely normal. Because the tyres and downforce changed the PP, you could use good handling grippy but slow cars or super high power low grip tyres and be even on a lot of tracks.

I always have all aids OFF but ABS. I just start with ABS=0 (BMW M4 and GT3 cars).
It's no longer a just matter of time. I'm going slower but definitely it's more challenging.
And you right, racing tyres on street cars?! No way. I'm driving with SH most of time. So mark me a freak too.

Well, thanks for replying chaps, and you have my apologies for not responding sooner. I watched the thread like a hawk for 24 hours, but slinked off to sulk in the corner when I didn't get any replies in that time. Sorry.

I'll send FRs to you and lets hope we can get together in a room some time, and perhaps attract like-minded people.

Cheers, Zo.

:lol: Its only two nights ago I set up a online room with the following rules..1500kg min weight.560pp and 532BHP.Sports:soft tyres.FR/MR/RR Drivetrain Only.3laps around the Nurburgring.I spent 3hours in that room,one guy came in,read the rules and left..I left abs on because I wanted to give the room a fighting chance.Most times if all or most of the restrictions are red,most just wont enter the room. but thats just my opinion.

I have a Room open:
1472-6118-4259-7714-7143
Closed

Tyres: Sports Hard
Damage: Heavy (cars don't fix themselves IRL)
Penalty Off
Tuning: Prohibited
PP: 600
Minimum Weight: 1.400kg
AIDS: Off

Last edited:
I'm often racing in lobbies with no tuned cars, confort or sport hard tires, aids off except ABS, clean racing, real life tracks, very slippery grass, 350PP to 500PP, with drivetrain restriction (only FR, only FF, etc).
I dont think I'm a freak.

No Cockpit, there's nothing freaky about those regs, sound pretty good to me. If you are still using ABS I can recommend persisting with removing it, it feels impossible at first but once you're used to it the connection with the car feels great.

Unfortunately I'm seriously immobilised by a back injury at the moment and can't even sit in a chair, so I'm off the PS for a while I'm afraid. But I will definitely make concerted efforts to link up with you fellas on my return, and we can race these machines like Mr Yamauchi intended.

Cheers, Zo.

I like racing without aids, but I'm not a fan of heavy damage. When I go online to race for an hour or two, the last thing I want is for my race to be effectivly over by a small mistake on my part or the part of a fellow driver. We all make mistakes and I just don't find it fun to take damage early on in a race and then miss out on the rest of the fun. Might be realistic, but it isn't fun, and I've never found it encouraged cleaner driving, I think that's a myth.

I like racing without aids, but I'm not a fan of heavy damage. When I go online to race for an hour or two, the last thing I want is for my race to be effectivly over by a small mistake on my part or the part of a fellow driver. We all make mistakes and I just don't find it fun to take damage early on in a race and then miss out on the rest of the fun. Might be realistic, but it isn't fun, and I've never found it encouraged cleaner driving, I think that's a myth.
Disagree on a couple of points. In my experience, heavy damage races are significantly cleaner, significantly. This is from both the viewpoint of a driver and of a steward. Secondly taking damage doesn't mean the race is over, it means you need to work to get some places back. Whether that is more or less fun is up to the individual.

I'm also a heavy damage proponent. I agree that minor accidents are bound to occur (uninentional or not), but setting damage to heavy keeps everyone from trying to win on the first lap by drag racing into first corner.

While I'm at it, I prefer rolling starts based on reverse qualifying times. There are way too many instances where races end because there's a massive pileup on the first lap on account of standing starts.

But yeah, I'm a freak. Endurance racing with CH tires on stock cars with no tuning, everything set to real, variable weather, night races, no ABS, the whole 9 yards.

Last edited:
Disagree on a couple of points. In my experience, heavy damage races are significantly cleaner, significantly. This is from both the viewpoint of a driver and of a steward. Secondly taking damage doesn't mean the race is over, it means you need to work to get some places back. Whether that is more or less fun is up to the individual.
I've always found the cleanliness of a race depends almost entirely on the host, the tone they set and how they run the room. Incidents are bound to happen, it's online racing and we have limited input as to what's happening around us. The biggest problem with heavy damage is that's it's catastrophic in almost every case. If you are battling for any position and take heavy damage your race for that position is effectively over, whereas with limited damage you can usually continue on after losing a few seconds at most and still continue to race. I race to have fun, taking damage and limping back to the pits might be realistic, but it's not fun:lol:

I've always found the cleanliness of a race depends almost entirely on the host, the tone they set and how they run the room. Incidents are bound to happen, it's online racing and we have limited input as to what's happening around us. The biggest problem with heavy damage is that's it's catastrophic in almost every case. If you are battling for any position and take heavy damage your race for that position is effectively over, whereas with limited damage you can usually continue on after losing a few seconds at most and still continue to race. I race to have fun, taking damage and limping back to the pits might be realistic, but it's not fun:lol:

My bolding. I agree completely, but racing hard with the knowledge that heavy damage is " catastrophic in almost every case" :nervous: is very much fun.
I think heavy damage goes hand in hand with using hard tires, because with hard tires cars are much easier to drive near the limit. (By hard tires I mean comfort tires, for street cars)

I really like heavy damage.
First time my fun was over at the very beginning I've realised I should stop the "there is no tomorrow" driving style and get a more realistic speed.

I believe heavy damage does not fit to sprint races but in endurance should me mandatory.
You are being tested to be fast and consistent. Not only fast!
You made a mistake, pay for it and hope the guy ahead get some crash too, otherwise just finish the race.

It's part of game IRL, why not the same here?
I see dozens in GTP praying for PD make this game realistic as possible but i don't see any league or race being organised with ABS off (BB works). A few heavy damage here and there.

Every piece has it's limit, brakes are the same, after you reach that limit, tyres will lock.

How often would you see a driver put car aside on straight knowing he could end on wall?
Online racing I see drivers putting aside in EVERY straight, because they saw "an" opportunity.

Ok, I play online, I have tons of fun with it. But it's a bit arcade IMO.

Ladies and Gentlemen, like most people on here I guess, I have been an ardent fan of Gran Turismo since the first moment I encountered it, in my case that was in 1999. Since the arrival of GT5 I have competed in well organised league racing and, over the past couple of years, I've dropped ABS, switched to hard damage and, most recently, have been taking part in longer races where the weather has a say in the outcome.

Through this I've found myself in the company of some very fast, serious, racers (Who kick my butt I must add), but even so I can't find anyone who really loves what I like to think of a seriously serious racing. Racing where your use of your right foot is as important as your wheel. In short, 600pp road cars, minimum 1,400kg, no down force, sports soft tyres, hard damage, the possibility of rain, and with all assists off.

This sounds like heaven to me, but I'm told that it marks me out as a freak, and I have to say, judging by how few people seem to want to do it, I think they might be right.

Come on GTers, there's got to be some other freaks out there, aren't there?

Cheers, Zolon.

I'm part of a group on here called PURE.
We race a lot of cars, race and road in the 500-600 PP range.

In most cases we prohibit all aids except ABS.
We do run time change and weather change at times as well. However, we do limit the anount of weather/time races due to connection reasons, frame rate issues and ghost car issues..

So it's not that we don't like the change in weather or time, but we do need to compromize that aspect with running leagues, championship and single races that run smooth for both drivers and admins.

We're currently not that active in GT6 though. We're waiting for some major issues, bugs and features to be adressed/added before we take off for real in GT6.

Feel free to visit us at:
http://pure.gate19.net/forum

In most cases we prohibit all aids except ABS.
Sorry pal, That's the problem!

I did some races this week @ ring. Some guys didn't believe the room was PP free.
The faster you go, the harder will be your braking.

Restrictions:
Sports Hard
Road Cars
Damage Heavy

Tune was free I went a 458 Italia with zero tune (BB only).
Needless to say they end up in wall during first lap. Is pretty hard to push limits and it's not even close to RL challenges. With ABS and damage weak I insist: the game is some sort of arcade!
My point is not be the fastest out there, witch I'm far from; is to feel I'm on my limit all the time.

Go to the Ring with the settings above, try it and let me know.
I'm scared every second, instead, with ABS I'm pretty comfortable almost all the time, even with heavy damage, because I know I can rely on the brakes.

Sorry pal, That's the problem!

I did some races this week @ ring. Some guys didn't believe the room was PP free.
The faster you go, the harder will be your braking.

Restrictions:
Sports Hard
Road Cars
Damage Heavy

Tune was free I went a 458 Italia with zero tune (BB only).
Needless to say they end up in wall during first lap. Is pretty hard to push limits and it's not even close to RL challenges. With ABS and damage weak I insist: the game is some sort of arcade!
My point is not be the fastest out there, witch I'm far from; is to feel I'm on my limit all the time.

Go to the Ring with the settings above, try it and let me know.
I'm scared every second, instead, with ABS I'm pretty comfortable almost all the time, even with heavy damage, because I know I can rely on the brakes.

I totally understand pal.

Thing is, that as an event administrator, and to offer a fun race, prohibit ABS will do more harm than good.

What we need to take in to concideration is that some drivers might use a DS3, some might use a DFGT style-no resistance brake pedal, and some got top of the line equippment.

As a solo driver with good equipment, I agree with you, but as an event administrator, I have to sacrifice realism for fun at times for the overall experiance.

But as I said, we do host some championships with ABS prohibited. 👍

I agree with you, but as an event administrator, I have to sacrifice realism for fun at times for the overall experiance.
I understand your point.

But as I said, we do host some championships with ABS prohibited.
I'll check it out. It's hard to find "The Real Driving Simulation" race servers.

In the end I see a lot o RS tyres and ABS doing miraculous time laps. :confused:

I'll check it out. It's hard to find "The Real Driving Simulation" race servers.

In the end I see a lot o RS tyres and ABS doing miraculous time laps. :confused:

You probably won't find random servers that fit your requirements. What you should do is to find a group on here that organize non-ABS races.
I think that's the best tip I can give. And PURE is a group who do use heavy damage, reasonably grippy tires depending on class, and at times, run ABS prohinited spot races or multiple week championships. 👍

You probably won't find random servers that fit your requirements. What you should do is to find a group on here that organize non-ABS races.
I think that's the best tip I can give. And PURE is a group who do use heavy damage, reasonably grippy tires depending on class, and at times, run ABS prohinited spot races or multiple week championships. 👍
I just registered @ pure. If you have any tips of I should look for there, feel free to PM. My ID is equal my PSN.

Hi fellas, I'm back on the game now, albeit flat on my back, controller in hand, with the telly strapped to a rig above the bed. It's really comfortable, but I'm struggling finding much pace.

As an aside, I'm still going zero ABS with the controller, using the sticks. I'm finding that it gives quite good rumble feedback when I'm approaching lock-up. That's feedback I don't even get on the wheel.

Anyway, FRs going out tonight, and I'm knee deep in testing for a Stock Supercar Endurance (about 75 mins) around Silverstone on comfort softs with a very slight chance of rain. Cars such as Zonda C12S, Gallardo, GT '06, GTR Black '12, Enzo, and a few others will be on offer, with no restriction as to how many of any one type are used. It could be a real blast because each car I've tested feels fantastic on these tyres.

Please keep an eye out for the thread and sign up if it takes your fancy.

Cheers, Zo.

Back