Are You An Angry Driver?

• Thread starter kilesa4568
  • 101 comments

Do you retaliate to contact with contact?

• Total voters
England
England
kilesa4568
Another thread on here has got me curious about something.

Just a simple vote. If you're in an online race and someone hits you, do you think it's right to hit them back?

If it's very rare (say once in 100 races) for you to get angry enough to retaliate, click no. More often than that, click yes.

Sometimes the 3rd, but usually the 4th inexcusable hit is the tipping point for me.
Have to stress that I don't mind very hard and rough racing, or even careless or reckless stuff, only talking about someone being deliberately dirty.
Although it should be easy enough to stay clear of those types most of the time.

And it's not about getting angry, I've been angry often enough - it's I just don't do it !

From what I've read on here in the past, 'angry' seemed like the right word to use but you could include 'tit for tat' too as a lot of people believe in their own vigilante justice.

I've done it once too. In fact I think I wrote about it in our old thread that it wasn't a pleasant experience...

The thread's just to find out how widespread it is.

If I was purposely taken out and I'm 100% out of the race and if I catch them, depending on where we are, I'll think about it. However, if I catch them, chances are I have moved up several spots, so I'm not going to cut my nose off to spite my face.

I admit, this week I was getting so fed up with the guy who drives wide and goes off the track, and then tries to re-enter the track by simply slamming into you non stop. I'm talking 5 or 6 slam into's until finally I had enough and tapped them back. Sure enough, I got the penalty, they didn't. Even though they out hit me 6 to 1. But whatever.

If I was purposely taken out and I'm 100% out of the race and if I catch them, depending on where we are, I'll think about it. However, if I catch them, chances are I have moved up several spots, so I'm not going to cut my nose off to spite my face.

I admit, this week I was getting so fed up with the guy who drives wide and goes off the track, and then tries to re-enter the track by simply slamming into you non stop. I'm talking 5 or 6 slam into's until finally I had enough and tapped them back. Sure enough, I got the penalty, they didn't. Even though they out hit me 6 to 1. But whatever.

Wouldn't that make your vote a yes or is it a rare enough reaction for you to still vote no? I know everyone has a breaking point so if it happens more than once in every 100 races, tick yes.

I'm not here to judge. Just interested in how the poll turns out.:cheers:

@CTznOfTime We're all human (mostly) and everyone gets angry from time to time, especially in racing.

What you do with that anger is what I'm interested in.👍

Wouldn't that make your vote a yes or is it a rare enough reaction for you to still vote no? I know everyone has a breaking point so if it happens more than once in every 100 races, tick yes.

if you had an option of "it depends" that would be my vote. LMAO

And I should clarify, I only tapped back once and it was late int he week when I had finally had enough.

I actually apologized to him afterward.

It’s rare, but for example once at Interlagos I wiped out pretty much the entire midpack in three turns.
I was sick of their trashy cheating.
For me it’s very rare, but when I decide to do so, I make it very satisfying.

“I don’t always hit back, but when I do I hit back hard”

Stay thirsty, my friends

I have a theory on this. It is only a theory, and I'm going to throw some completely made up statistics into the mix.

My belief is that 99% of GTSport players start a race with a clean mindset and want to race cleanly. 1% are out to cause havoc regardless.

The trouble starts when there is some form of contact between two cars. One of the drivers goes "HOW DARE YOU TOUCH MY CAR" and retaliates. I reckon something like 30-40% of racers are like this. This causes a ripple effect causing other people issues, more contact, and more retaliation.

In my early days of GTSport I went through this phase. It was only brief as I very quickly realised two things.

1. Retaliating will both harm your own SR and your own finishing position.
2. YOU MIGHT RETALIATE AGAINST THE WRONG PERSON! (I've been on both sides of this).

Sorry to say I have been that guy. I essentially now race clean at all costs.

Everyone has a fuse of a different length. For some people the lightest of touches is all it takes, for others it has to be consistent dirty driving from another before the retaliation kicks in.

When I see two drivers going at it it makes me happy as it means I'm about to pick up a position or two :)

I'm also careful to not take advantage of accidental contact, and to give a position back if I've won it unfairly. I see others doing this too but I reckon that's about 10% of racers according to my made up stats :lol:

Rarely but voted yes anyway, someone has to really piss me off for that to happen. I got very good at doing the pit maneuver while dealing with dirty players in my forza motorsport days, it’s very effective in GTS too, since I rarely get a penalty or lose sr by doing it.

I have a theory on this. It is only a theory, and I'm going to throw some completely made up statistics into the mix.

My belief is that 99% of GTSport players start a race with a clean mindset and want to race cleanly. 1% are out to cause havoc regardless.

The trouble starts when there is some form of contact between two cars. One of the drivers goes "HOW DARE YOU TOUCH MY CAR" and retaliates. I reckon something like 30-40% of racers are like this. This causes a ripple effect causing other people issues, more contact, and more retaliation.

In my early days of GTSport I went through this phase. It was only brief as I very quickly realised two things.

1. Retaliating will both harm your own SR and your own finishing position.
2. YOU MIGHT RETALIATE AGAINST THE WRONG PERSON! (I've been on both sides of this).

Sorry to say I have been that guy. I essentially now race clean at all costs.

Everyone has a fuse of a different length. For some people the lightest of touches is all it takes, for others it has to be consistent dirty driving from another before the retaliation kicks in.

When I see two drivers going at it it makes me happy as it means I'm about to pick up a position or two :)

I'm also careful to not take advantage of accidental contact, and to give a position back if I've won it unfairly. I see others doing this too but I reckon that's about 10% of racers according to my made up stats :lol:

The idea of the vote (besides satisfying my morbid curiosity) is to find out potentially, how many of the grid could be prone to using contact.

Close to five out of twenty so far, judging by the votes and from what I've seen, one or two of the five retaliate against the wrong person.

(This vote is also aimed primarily at <A+. They're good (and lucky) enough to have the benefit of racing the same people a lot of the time and know how they drive. The lower ranks race people they've never seen before a lot of the time.)

@CTznOfTime We're all human (mostly) and everyone gets angry from time to time, especially in racing.

What you do with that anger is what I'm interested in.👍

If such thing happen, most of the time, I exclaim:
"Hey MAN, WHAT the Hell?!!!"

And I move on...

Of course, I get angry, but while racing, I am focused and I dissipate the bad energy by trying to catch up, make up for lost ground and pass that sucker as cleanly and as fast as possible ..

I don't like wasting time into doing the titfortat thing...

Last edited:
... What you do with that anger is what I'm interested in.👍

Worst case scenario is retaliation. It's extremely rare though as mentioned before. Just to be clear, people can drive me as angry as can be, however I've got something like a natural resistance against simple payback. I guess I'm lucky here.

Second case is I often just chew on my anger for the rest of the race, trying to get the job done ( finish ) so to speak - without any more ambition.

Best case scenario is I can pull off my best racing ever, manage a run like Seb did yesterday and beat the bad boys with better driving and racecraft - which is extremely satisfying then, that's understood :D !

Depends. If someone bumps me accidentally during a legitimate overtaking maneuver, then no problem. No retaliation.

If someone obviously misses their braking point, then that's annoying, but we have all done it so live and let live. No retaliation.

If someone misses their braking point more than once. Or hits me several times. Or obviously runs me off the road on purpose then :mad:

I get mad but don't get even. Never retaliated. But have rage quit (not so much lately).

Don't see the point of fighting fire with fire near gasoline. If you're going to attack someone, chase them down in the pit lane after the race like real drivers. :lol:

I never assume who's at fault during the race. I'll check the replay first. And it's almost always a different story or at least not as simple as you think seeing things from only the drivers seat.

It's also never 0% my fault. I choose to race. I choose to enter with my qualifying time. I choose to speed up or slow down when cars get close. There's always something I could do to be better, smarter. So I try to get a small positive out of it instead of only focusing on the negative.

I don't like this part of my temper but I must admit : yes.

I although try to improve on that point. It also depends on my opponent's behaviour, if it's clearly a mistake and he lets me pass again or wait behind, I'll do nothing.

Sometimes if the overtake is dirty and unfair, and he doesn't give the position back, I kill him. I know that's not the way...

So Now I try to beat him cleanly, that's way more classy, but if he continues to be too rough, I'll play it rough too.

I have done it once in 350 races. Then I remembered that it's a game and I am in my fifties. I think most of the bump-side-to-side and repeated-bumps on straights are due to lag. So no point in getting worked up about. And if someone missed their brake point, then it happens to us all.
Also, we all have different lines and brake points, so giving people some slack makes it better for all of us.
If a few dicks decide to take advantage of that, well, maybe karma will strike some day

I go in to every race with the intention of keeping it as clean as possible regardless of position, if im starting low down then its up to me to improve on that. However as someone mentioned, usually 3 or 4 knocks/dives etc and i take that as the rubbin is racing methos

I’m currently angry enough with this game, it’s various design decisions, and my life insofar that I’m tempted to just go full-speed into chicanes and ruin everyone’s races until I get truly bored, then take the disc, throw it like a frisbee at the wall, and watch it shatter. And then throw over some tables, break some plates, and then steal some of my dad’s whiskey and drink it until I cry/drink myself into unconsciousness.

On two occasions in just over 100 races I've had the mindset to get someone and in all honesty I felt a little bit of a douche afterwards, had a guy fully in my sights in a recent race, took aim and he almost drove off the road to let me through, then after the race he apologised for holding me up in qualifying as he 'wasnt fully in control' of his car 🤬:dunce::(
It made me think about how many competitors I may have innadvertantly impeded during those 100+ races.

(P.S. @kilesa4568 you need to stop (or just slow down a bit) at Willow and Sardenga;))

I’m currently angry enough with this game, it’s various design decisions, and my life insofar that I’m tempted to just go full-speed into chicanes and ruin everyone’s races until I get truly bored, then take the disc, throw it like a frisbee at the wall, and watch it shatter. And then throw over some tables, break some plates, and then steal some of my dad’s whiskey and drink it until I cry/drink myself into unconsciousness.

You need a new avatar then.

IMG_0575.JPG

I'm an easily angered driver. But... the DR/SR system sucks so bad I simply pull over to keep my rating up. Even getting rear-ended in a brake zone will take SR away from you. That's right, no blocking, no short braking, weird movement at all, and you take a small hit to your SR for someone else's mistake. One race, I lost 15,000 DR points (A rating to a C) and 20 SR points (A rating to a B) without a penalty because I was getting rubbed and rubbing back. Yeah, it took a week to get back to an "A" DR, but if you do me wrong a couple of times, I'll take the SR and possibly DR hit and respond accordingly. Generally I don't respond from one issue with someone, but if its blatant disregard I'll deal with it.

Truly, the SR/DR scoring system is so bad I almost don't race anymore until the FIA races. I do my racing on other games like P-Cars to avoid the rating issues. I leave the racing on GT Sport for the FIA races. I will however race to build up my DR/SR when it is needed.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back