Are you "scared" to race online?

• Thread starter Keith2324
  • 79 comments
I was for awhile but then stopped caring. It’s supposed to be entertaining so I go with it wether it be clean or dirty racing I always race clean until someone else doesn’t then it’s game on. You wanna ruin my race then I’ll ruin yours plain and simple

It's funny, it's never my intention to get revenge or ruin anyone's race on purpose but I've developed knee jerk reaction tricks from GTA to deal with impacts, ramming, and offensive drivers. So I never try to take out attacking cars, but my car gets really heavy when I need it to; absorbing impacts and saving near crashes into drifts and staying on the track. This usually deflects the other driver. Basically, most people can't get away with hitting me without screwing themselves over.

Nowadays, there are two instances that can rattle my cage, so to speak:

1. Anytime I have faster drivers behind me during qualifying: When I first started, I often got into situations where I had a fast driver on a hot lap approaching from behind and I'm at a part of the track where it's hard to pull over. Way too many instances of ditching my car off track later, I paid more attention on who is behind me at the start and let them go immediately.

2. Being at the back of the field: This is mainly the rare times I qualify poorly or if I'm binned and shuffled back. A recent FIA race at Monza where I got destroyed at T1 is the perfect example. Being back there was traversing a minefield. Somehow survived without a penalty.

Ah it's tough to start for me, no matter what kind of game. I tend to think too much on how people view me whenever i play.
I was happy that my firsts races were with Swifts so there wasn't much going on.

Even now, i'm really passive since i hate the idea of bothering other players plus i don't want anyone to have that fixed prejudice since i'm italian... and i've been reading so many online posts how dirty etc are.
I'm a bit more confident on racing, i don't mind even picking the most DR\SR wrecking tracks to be honest, it shouldn't stop me from having fun with driving cars.

I use to be although I was also worried about being to far off the pace. The matchmaking system seems to be pretty balanced and I may not be the fastest in the race, but I'm also not the slowest. I don't care about my Dr. To me, Sr is what is more important and allows for more clean racing. I watch other drivers on track, brake a little early if I'm following and do my best to avoid contact. But, s*** does happen, rubbin' is racin' in most series, so be it. I had a race Sunday at Monza where I got punted off turn 1, lap 1. By the end of lap ten, I was back in first with a few seconds ahead of second (I'm not bragging, I swear lol) thanks to other people making mistakes, and I think I had a better fuel strategy than the other front runners.

I used to hate online racing because of the idiots and trolls wrecking drivers on purpose. I would only race structured races with known clean racers. Now I don't worry about it. GTSport does a pretty good job of dividing the clean from the dirty. The best advice I can give is just forget about your ratings. Drive your race, realize you have as much right to be on that track as every other driver. Stuff will happen, you will lose points, it's not the end of the world. Look (link below) at my graphs of DR/SR. Looks like saw blades. Those big losses? Other drivers screwing me over. I'm still driving every day, still pushing as hard as I can. It'll come and it'll go but you'll still be racing and having a better time for not worrying about the ratings.

http://www.kudosprime.com/gts/stats.php?profile=5356496

Sark

I used to hate online racing because of the idiots and trolls wrecking drivers on purpose. I would only race structured races with known clean racers. Now I don't worry about it. GTSport does a pretty good job of dividing the clean from the dirty. The best advice I can give is just forget about your ratings. Drive your race, realize you have as much right to be on that track as every other driver. Stuff will happen, you will lose points, it's not the end of the world. Look (link below) at my graphs of DR/SR. Looks like saw blades. Those big losses? Other drivers screwing me over. I'm still driving every day, still pushing as hard as I can. It'll come and it'll go but you'll still be racing and having a better time for not worrying about the ratings.

http://www.kudosprime.com/gts/stats.php?profile=5356496

Sark
Mine is very similar. I normally only do races where I qualy top 5 or so, but every once in a while Monza or Tokyo calls my name. I once went from 99 to C SR in a few races, after 2 hits I lost my cool, which is not good to do. SR easy to get back, DR not so easy. I like the fun of the races, and try to tell myself revenge is never good. I did get my bonus with 16 clean races in a row, but entered the last 2 with no quali and never approached anyone.

http://www.kudosprime.com/gts/stats.php?profile=1224044

I think if PD went with a version of daily races that didn't use rank, they'd get a lot more players involved.

Just use qualifying and an overall safety rating, so a bad race doesn't have as much impact. None of this major, busted down to private crap through no fault of your own.

I think your fear of ruining somebody else's race makes you exactly the type of racer that qualifies you for Sport Mode. I mean, technically all are qualified since it's a DR/SR matching system, but I mean that you are exactly the type or person that most of us want to race against. This is the good kind of fear. Keep up this attitude.

Personally, I don't race in Sport Mode often because I get so little time playing the game. So when I do, I pick my tracks and races wisely. I typically only enter B or C races, and only on tracks I'm very familiar with and can qualify well on. This definitely doesn't ensure a fast, clean race every time, but I'm doing what I can do to minimize my negative impact on other drivers, as well as maximizing my Sport Mode performances and ratings by doing so. The longer I play the game, the better I get at various tracks, and the more I feel comfortable racing online.

In the meantime, practice in the lobbies and even though people still get upset about bumps/rubs etc., overall it's a more relaxed environment and if tensions flare they usually settle down within a short time.

Rank is so easily manipulated, why worry about messing up somebody's rank.

I set myself little goals to keep it interesting, like yesterday, how many races will it take to get my SR back to 99 (from 56 due to monza) on a daily B (stingy with SR points) while never having driven the track before. One practice lap and go! First race I had to look at the map for the layout :)

I'll respect your car if you respect mine. That's basically how I race. I'll make room for clean faster drivers to pass, yet shut the door on drafters that keep sticking their nose next to my bumper at every opportunity without any real plan. The only way to quickly recognize the difference, or simply learn all the names, is to race a lot. I always try to keep my distance and wait to pass until I figure out how the person in front of me drives so I can pick the best spot. Hence in sprint races I rarely overtake more than 1 or 2 cars unless people crash or knock each other out.

And even doing that, you will get haters, that's just how the internet is. Tempers flare up easily. However those are the rare exceptions if you drive with respect. I can still count mine on one hand after 2600 races! The enemy is not the other people, it's the penalty system and inconsistent ghosting that interferes with the races. Penalties are needed to keep some people in check, yet since it often assigns them wrong, or for slight contact without consequences or for lag induced problems or for getting hit by a crash or bad track re-entry, the times it does its intended job are in the minority.

So don't be scared of the other people, be scared of the evil penalty AI instead!

And even then, getting SR drops grants you better races. SR.A has better matchmaking and generally cleaner races where people are still trying to improve SR. Getting your DR reset is no problem either, enjoy the win opportunities on the way back up. And really what does DR mean anyway if you're not top 24 material like 99.9% of us.

My ratings look like the Himalayas
http://www.kudosprime.com/gts/stats.php?profile=1495257

Qyn
Although I still pay close attention to my DR/SR ratings I never let that deter me from racing online. I just ensure that I take care of business on my end with the understanding that 🤬 happens. I drive my own race while making sure I stay aware of racing etiquette. If someone gets a better drive out of a turn, and are clearly about to overtake me, I usually let them have it. Even if we are approaching the finish line. Just let the system do it's job so all you have to do is worry about racing!:gtpflag:

This probably emulates what I do...though during an FIA race last week I saw someone stick their nose in without having the pace to overtake...so next corner i went close to the apex early and closed the door - he went wide, almost overtook but was too wide...had a nailbiting last lap as he tried to overtake but couldn't. Last corner he gave up halfway...then backed off at the final straight, killing off last of a penalty i assume from his red dot - little did he know i also had a penalty, but with someone right behind me i figured i would let it add to race time, i beat him by 0.1!

I stopped caring after the penalty changes. I was never into online racing but that is the crux of this game.
Now I just decide which race I want to do which is usually Race B.
It’s long enough to get a couple of races in, pretty decent length, and faster than the N Class car in race A. I don’t usually have a lot of time so it gives me a chance for a couple of races a day.
As for the ratings, well....I just try to have fun. I try to be competitive but I also know I won’t be the fastest. I just try not to be last.

I try not to worry about the DR so much. I have a tough time maintaining B. It’s the SR I kind of watch out for. Once you drop past A, the racing gets really bad. I race everyday, most often the Daily A, but have ventured into Race B more often. I’ll do a Race C every so often if I like the track. Speaking of tracks, I typically race on them all with the exception of the Tokyo layouts. I stay away from those. My Kudos chart is all over the place too...lol

I was at first. but then due to a string of bad luck and some misbehaviour of me, rage quitting, i dropped from A to D sr rating.

Didn't race for a long time in sport mode, then i got back into it, chose my races wisely, (wide open tracks and no qualifying time so i end up last on the grid) and now i'm at S sr rating (8-10 races). and i have to admit, racing is a lot more fun. No divebombing, there the occasional rub, but noone's hit me hard enough that i flew off track or missed my turn.
now i can try to get back to B dr rating.

Iv got 2 accounts. My FIA (serious) and league account and my I dont care account. Now, this does not mean I dont care what happens to the other driver. If someone jacks up my race then so be it. Its taught me to not lose my ****. Only problem now is my "I dont care account" has better stats than my FIA/League account so Im starting to care too much about my "I dont care account". Haha

I'm glad somebody has created this thread.
Yes, like @Venster said, I don't have time to regain DR after somebody else ruins my race or if the game crashes.
So, it's a reverse effect for myself. I am 'scared' to race because other drivers or stupid penalties ruin my races. Even in the Top 24 Superstar races this has happened!
Some racing teams get jealous too:

After reading this thread I think I’ll just race and what will be will be. It seems like you have good and bad experiences no matter your SR rating. Still avoiding the ovals and possibly Monza though.

Rating for racing. If you don't play to save rating, you turning upside down. Racing for rating. Think about it. It is irrational and silly.

It’s is to a certain extent, as it’s right that this is just to match you up with similar drivers. But, like I said before, it took 183 races for me to gain 47k DR and If i lose that because of a reset through no fault of my own it would take weeks to get back, so I feel the need to protect it to a certain extent.

I'm glad somebody has created this thread.
Yes, like @Venster said, I don't have time to regain DR after somebody else ruins my race or if the game crashes.
So, it's a reverse effect for myself. I am 'scared' to race because other drivers or stupid penalties ruin my races. Even in the Top 24 Superstar races this has happened!
Some racing teams get jealous too:

Exactly, and you are a very fast driver that wins regularly at high level. One bad race and the punishment when not your fault on both DR and SR takes some time to get back. Even at high A myself very difficult to gain any meaningful DR but a loss that’s 1000-2000 gone!

Sometimes I wonder if I’m at the right DR at the moment. I started the game with a controller (I would say a pretty decent racer with one) for about 3-4 months then swapped to a wheel. I feel sometimes maybe I’m 3-4 months off the pace as changing to a wheel felt like starting again for me, so I’ve avoided racing till I got up to speed which I’m not sure I’ve 100% found. That said I got from B to A (where I am now with the wheel, but it doesn’t help my race fear!

I can tell how much this affects me (race fear) single hot lapping I can creep into the top 10 on a good day and combo, race pace is a whole different story!!

To Op:
Create a second account if you have not that much time to give effort for a well qualifying time and/ or you just want make some races just for fun.
I admit that for me DRs is important, because it makes sure that I race against faster drivers. Thats the only thing what motivates me. Tanking my DR to dominate in lower ranks gives absolutely nothing to me, and its majoriliy unfair to those drivers.

Only @ Monza :lol:

And only 3 races an hour is so awful, just awful.

Jerome

Monza is a great track.

It's the death computer rolling start that's trying to kill us all.

I usually don't care that much , but that really depends on the car/track combinations. For example , i won't be afraid to go in a Gr.3 at Kyoto or a Gr.4 at Suzuka with tyre wear. But there's no way i'm gonna go on Interlagos with Gr.1 or any race at Tokyo Easter loop (i dunno why , but people think that overtaking from the outside on this track is a very good idea!)

And let's not forget Monza Turn1

As stated by some others it is just a psychological thing. Because of the ranking system most players think that they need to go up in ranking. Always up up up. If you go up that is good. If you go down that is bad.

Those thoughts are opposite of the real intentions of this system. The intention was not to make a ranking system (that purpose is for FIA races) but to make a match making system putting you in a position where you can race among equal players like yourself. So the point is that you just drive away and the system will put you along players that drive as good as you.

This means that when you are afraid to drive because of losing DR or SR, you are in a wrong league anyway. It was meant for you to lose some DR because you had no right to gain so much DR in the first place. That is because people are driving selective instead of based on fun.

For gaining DR it is very vital to qualify good and only drive the tracks where you are good at and where you can consistently drive close times each lap. But gaining DR is just not the purpose of sport mode. So even how good the tips are, they are at the same time bad tips. I am now around 34.000. I cannot really gain anymore and I am trying to avoid to lose more. And than I understood: this is just where I belong. Thats why I am not going up anymore and not winning races.

Just keep on driving and forget the system and you should be put there where you really belong.

A friend of mine played on my account and took me from a SR B to SR E racing GR1 at Monza. Now I haven’t played online in a few months now because it seems like such a tedious chore to get back to the point I can actually race with other people who are more Intrested in racing than demolition derby. However I think the system is needed because having no penalty system would be worse than what’s in place.

A friend of mine played on my account and took me from a SR B to SR E racing GR1 at Monza. Now I haven’t played online in a few months now because it seems like such a tedious chore to get back to the point I can actually race with other people who are more Intrested in racing than demolition derby.
Friends don't let friends drive Gr.1 at Monza.

@Keith2324 ... Are you "scared" to race online?
Absolutely.
I have very little time to play the game, so, really don't want to get tanked by other players over aggressive, and/or impatient actions.
I fully understand mistakes happen (and I've made a few) but sometimes it's painfully obvious that collisions and resultant penalties are the outcomes of over aggressive and impatient folks.
Lots here have commented that gaining back Dr. and/or Sr. back is easy... but... I'm betting if those same players only raced once every few weeks (literally, 1 race in weeks... none of this race every night, much less multiple races a week... right now I think it's one race in the last month...) they would have a different perspective.
Dr. is not as important to me as Sr. is... If I go to Tokyo, Monza, Interlagos... and get tanked to a Sr.E/D/B in one race, like is so commonly reported here... I'm racing with those "minded" folks for months... maybe only a few races to some, but, that represents months for me.
So, I pick events with enough time to set up strategy.... on tracks with good width providing little room for varied lines to avoid such mayhem, and alter sratagy for setting up passes and... that's it... leaves me race C, and 4 tracks.
Then, I have to wait for that lottery to land on an evening/weekend where I have the time to run.
Otherwise, yep, I'm scared to race online.

Back