• 104 comments

Paulie

VF Ute Driver
Premium
Australia
QLD, Down Under
GTP_Paulie
Paulie LDP
G'day all, was reading IGN today and came across this newly announced survival game. Must say it looks interesting but aside from this gameplay trailer absolutely nothing is known about it.

And the YouTube caption.
In this multiplayer first person survival game, you awake freezing and starving on a mysterious island. Hunt, harvest, craft items, grow crops, and build shelters to survive. Use cunning and resources to kill or tame and ride the Dinosaurs and primeval creatures roaming the land, and team up with hundreds of other players to survive, dominate... and escape!
For more information visit www.survivetheark.com or follow us @survivetheark, fb.com/survivetheark or YouTube.com/survivetheark.

Seems like it has taken a lot from the game Turok and run with it. Definitely interesting.

Sounds like a dinosaur version of Day Z, which I haven't played myself but have been told about.
The execution of the game remains to be seen, but the trailer looks promising! If the open world is really huge (meaning you always have places to explore) and they nail the "survival" aspect of the game I'll thoroughly enjoy this. Now I just need to buy a PS4.

....A MMO. Wonderful. With my crappy internet connection, no ways, amigo. I'm out.

I've actually been wondering if my internet will handle PS4.

I've actually been wondering if my internet will handle PS4.

....Saaaad...We're all so sssaaaaaaddd...:( Damn you ISPs!! :grumpy:

Edi: Uhm, I meant, phone companies, not ISPs. They are slightly guilty too, but...ahh, you know what I mean. :boggled:

Last edited:
Sounds like a dinosaur version of Day Z, which I haven't played myself but have been told about.
The execution of the game remains to be seen, but the trailer looks promising! If the open world is really huge (meaning you always have places to explore) and they nail the "survival" aspect of the game I'll thoroughly enjoy this. Now I just need to buy a PS4.

You should try DayZ, I love it

You should try DayZ, I love it

I don't normally play PC games, plus I heard your player doesn't disappear when you aren't playing which would annoy the hell out of me to find some troll camping on me when I turn it on. Hopefully ARK isn't like that. Plus I like dinosaurs, zombies don't interest me so much.:sly:

I don't normally play PC games, plus I heard your player doesn't disappear when you aren't playing which would annoy the hell out of me to find some troll camping on me when I turn it on. Hopefully ARK isn't like that. Plus I like dinosaurs, zombies don't interest me so much.:sly:

Where did you hear that? It does disappear, and zombies arent the thing that attracts me, its the other players. I hate zombie games but love DayZ. The survival aspect is what I love hence why I think Ill love this game too!

Where did you hear that? It does disappear, and zombies arent the thing that attracts me, its the other players. I hate zombie games but love DayZ. The survival aspect is what I love hence why I think Ill love this game too!

Guy I worked with plays it, said he turned it on after a couple days and someone had found where he was hiding, resulted in death and having to start over.

Guy I worked with plays it, said he turned it on after a couple days and someone had found where he was hiding, resulted in death and having to start over.

The games in Alpha still, if he follows the reports from the game devs, they do 'server wipes' to start from a clean slate. They do it quite a bit

Last edited:
Either way, what do you guys think of the inclusion of a dragon? Good idea, or takes away from being a dino game?

This video goes in to some more detail about the game's features, sounds all pretty neat to me! The taming process for a dinosaur sounds tricky, as does farming. I am wondering what happens when you die, is it start over from scratch? It also confirms "tribes", anyone thinking GTP tribe?

Some more info on the game! Sounds like it will be a HUGE time sink.:nervous:

Edit: Apparently the PS4 version is not due until next year.:banghead: Still sounds like an awesome game, looking forward to it and Star Wars Battlefront to begin life on a PS4 with.

Last edited:
Oh man am I salivating over this game, the features sound awesomely impressive, just what I expect a survival game to be. I hope there is time within the game to relax and have fun though, take in the scenery and explore.

Edit: On Steam they've been releasing Weekly Digests which include Dossiers (pages containing info on newly released dinosaurs as seen in the video above. For those that don't want to sit through that video, here's a rundown of the skill sets you can upgrade.

As you level up via playing the game, you gain Stat points and Engram points. You’ll be given one stat point per level and Engram points which scale per level. This is a key part of ARK: Survival Evolved as what you spend these points on determines the role you play.

The stats you have available to you are as follows: Health, Stamina, Oxygen, Food, Water, Weight, Melee Damage, Movement Speed, Fortitude, Crafting Speed and Torpor.

Health
This is the one the core-stats that you see in many games, it determines your life value, if this hits 0 – your character is dead. When you reach below the 25%, your character becomes injured. You will have to regenerate your health using food, blood packs or natural regeneration to regain normal functionality.

Stamina
This is another key trait used in many games, it is generally used to determine how much energy your character has. Eating and drinking certain food will help replenish stamina. As you find yourself playing the game, you’ll see the bar plummet, especially when working tirelessly. So if you’re always chopping trees or sprinting, you’ll need to take time regenerate.

Oxygen
This is an uncommon trait you won’t see in many games. Rivers, Lagoons, Underwater pools and the Ocean plays a huge part in the ARK. It’s often a place of sanctuary or potentially a place of danger. There are times you’ll find yourself diving to the bottom of a pool, riding on aquatic friend, or swimming across to escape a deadly predator... only to find yourself in the mouth of another ;). Increasing oxygen allows you to stay submerged for longer periods of time.

Food
This is a stat you’ll find in pretty much every survival game. Simply put it tells you if your character is hungry, ensure that you’re well fed otherwise you’ll risk starvation. Increasing the amount allows for your character to eat more, therefore you’ll have more time available to you in between meals.

Water
This is a stat you’ll also find in pretty much every survival game. Water is something that will need to be monitored as if you’re thirsty you’ll find yourself suffering from dehydration.

Weight
This is something that’s core to the game. Unlike many other survival games that are primarily slot-based when it comes to inventory, ARK is not. ARK is a weight-based game. This means you can hold as many materials as you like, as long as you have the weight to withstand it. Weight is very useful stat, though something to keep in mind is that the more you carry, the slower you run and the lower you jump. When you reach a certain level of weight, you become encumbered and will find yourself unable to do much.

Melee Damage
This is just as the name states. There are always going to be plenty of weapon options in games and normal circumstances dictate that range has an advantage, you deal a lot of damage, you can avoid taking it. It’s the most common way that survivors chose to fight, however we’ve introduced the melee damage stat to give players the opportunity to consider using it as a fighting option.

Movement Speed
This is another key stat to the game, it’s used to determine how quickly a survivor can travel by foot. It is very useful in terms of escaping, hunting, in fact just about everything. It has great synergy with Stamina!

Fortitude
This is a very useful stat that not many may consider. Living life on the ark, experiencing the weather and the eco-system; you’re at risk! Increasing fortitude will help provide some resistance from the elements, as well as provide you some crucial resistance from torpor, which we’ll talk about later on ;). Fortitude is increased by 1 for each point you spend.

Crafting Speed
This is a unique stat and not seen in many games. This will allow survivors the opportunity to craft quicker, at first glance you may think it’s not as useful as the other ones. However you might end up in a pinch where you have seconds to live and you really need to make a bow, those points spent in crafting will definitely make all the difference. The difference between kill or be killed. It’s also a fun trait to consider having on servers where you just want to build as quickly as possible and make many grand structures.

Torpor
Also known as torpidity is a stat which you will not be able to increase. However it is incredibly useful and very important that you watch your levels of torpor. It is used to monitor whether your character becomes unconscious and how long it stays unconscious for. When you have a high amount of torpor, you’ll be knocked out and will have to wait for it to decrease before you can function again though it decreases at a fairly rapid rate. As mentioned before, Fortitude provides resistance to Torpor in the sense that weapons, tools or consumables may not provide as much. Torpor is a key element when knocking out players and dinosaurs, if you find that your torpor is increasing – you better consider gobbling some Stimberries or some Stimulant otherwise find yourself potentially in grave danger.

Now that’s it for the stat points… now for the Tech Tree and Engram points!

As well as gaining stat points for leveling, you’ll also find that you receive Engram points. Engram points are spent on a pseudo-tech tree and it can determine the knowledge your character has. Everything you spend an engram point on, you’ll learn permanently. You’ll have the opportunity to learn a wide variety of engrams, such as the ability to craft tools, weapons, building structures, saddles, signs, crops, pipes, fridges, turrets, flares, parachutes, notes, clothes, armor, and well… you get the point. There are loads of things that you can craft, too much for one person to handle. This is why it’s suggested you find a group or a tribe to play with, or consider looking for some blueprints ;)

Last edited:
Edit: That base making video was good.👍

This guy started with the high graphic settings but had some framerate issues. Even when he dropped it to Medium I thought it looked pretty decent for a game that just came out in the first 24hrs of Alpha!

Edit 2: I've been watching a video series from Starsnipe on YouTube (up to part 6), it's fairly decent at showing you the various aspects of the game plus he's pretty funny at times. This game must be going to be good if I'm getting so much enjoyment from just watching other people play it!

Last edited:
Those videos from PartiallyRoyal are also pretty good, I just watched the first 9 videos. In the latest one I'm up to they find the lake area from the trailer, have 4 people in their tribe and start developing the area. I don't know why this game is so fun to just sit and watch! It must be crazy to play, I can't believe the PS4 version is next year!:(
When it comes out I'll probably start I tribe called "Aces" after my basketball team since a couple of my team mates will probably play it with me. Anyone who wants to join from here would be welcome.

BTW, possible language warning.

This looks epic, but although I have an i7 with 12GB RAM, my graphics card is a relatively lowly GTX560Ti. I can deal with lowish settings til the game is better optimised, but wondering if it will be playable at all?

So far haven't seen much I don't like in this game. The Spinosaurus looks wicked, I'm so aiming for one of them before a T-Rex. Mammoths are awesome hectically useful it seems, gathers wood way faster than anything.

So there's a new game mode to Ark, and they launched it via an invite only tournament. It's basically Hunger Games Ark style! Looks like fun, here is a video of Starsnipe playing it.

Does anyone on GTP play this game? Unfortunately I'm waiting for the PS4 version, I just don't have a PC that could handle gaming.

I have it but admittedly haven't looked at it much yet. I fiddled with the graphics settings and it ran just fine in low or even medium but looked pretty bad, so I need to take some time to get the right balance. I can handle lower FPS as long as it isn't choppy and to the great detriment of the gameplay. Still looking forward to playing it, though I think the inventory system looks pretty complex. PaulSoaresJr's videos on Youtube are pretty good.

That was a cool trailer! It gave us our first look at the snow biome (that cottage looks cozy :P), the structures those advanced tribes had created were insane and the villages had a distinct Age of Empires feel which I liked, plus that was a new boss at the end, some sort of giant Scorpion. That's four bosses thus far (Broodmother, dragon and giant gorilla being the others).

I first saw this game in one of Funhaus' videos. Might try it once the console version is released.

Back