ARK - Survival Evolved (PC, XBox, PS4)

• Thread starter Paulie
  • 104 comments
Got a bit more done tonight, got to level 20 and got all hide clothes. Pretty soon I'm going to start with tranq arrows and stuff. I also tamed a level 15 Lystrosaurus, my first tame! There was a x2 taming multiplier on in the public servers which made it a little easier.:sly: Some Dilo tried to kill me in the middle of the night when I was very nearly finished, thankfully I killed the Dilo and not the Lystro as vision was limited.:lol:
While we were out collecting drops a Carno came and blocked our path back to camp on the beach. We waited for it to be distracted with killing a Phiomia, but my brother didn't realise he was slightly burdened and didn't run fast enough.:lol: Took a while to find his pack.:P

Couple of tips for where you are right now, though there are of course many ways to play this! If you want to upgrade your armour to chitin your best bet is to comb the beach on the east coast, between the swamp in the far south-east to the rivermouth more towards the north (you might want to stop there as there are often a few larger predators lurking around). Keep a look out for the odd Sabretooth or Raptor coming out of the jungle but aside from that, kill or avoid any dilos and look out for trilobites along the edge of the water. They give a lot of chitin for little guys and if you do a couple of sweeps this way you should get plenty. They can move and scatter when you attack them but just keep up with them and swipe down with your axe.

If you want a mount, you can do a lot worse than a Parasaur early on, especially if you level it up. Fairly sturdy, reasonable speed and carry weight. A Raptor is another option though a little dangerous perhaps, more of a speedy lightweight mount. One early tame I can't recommend enough though is a Trike. Those things are tanks. OK they are pretty slow but can carry a fair amount, gather tons of berries when ridden (much more efficient than farming them unless on a v large scale) but most importantly, as long as you can get enemies to charge at you head-on and you get your timing right, you can knock them backwards over and over from a surprisingly long range, and they get nowhere near you. I've taken out much more dangerous creatures in this manner.

@Paulie if you haven't gotten a concrete answer yet, no fliers on PVE are not able to pick up wild dinos. You can however take a Kaprosucus which holds some wild dinos in place. Then have someone pick you up on an aregentavis and carry the wild Dino to your place of choosing.

Cheers mate. Pretty good idea with the Kapro as well.👍 I realised last night that if it was true then I'm pretty glad flyers can't pick up wild dinos, to stop people trolling me and dropping dangerous dinos beside me.

Couple of tips for where you are right now, though there are of course many ways to play this! If you want to upgrade your armour to chitin your best bet is to comb the beach on the east coast, between the swamp in the far south-east to the rivermouth more towards the north (you might want to stop there as there are often a few larger predators lurking around). Keep a look out for the odd Sabretooth or Raptor coming out of the jungle but aside from that, kill or avoid any dilos and look out for trilobites along the edge of the water. They give a lot of chitin for little guys and if you do a couple of sweeps this way you should get plenty. They can move and scatter when you attack them but just keep up with them and swipe down with your axe.

If you want a mount, you can do a lot worse than a Parasaur early on, especially if you level it up. Fairly sturdy, reasonable speed and carry weight. A Raptor is another option though a little dangerous perhaps, more of a speedy lightweight mount. One early tame I can't recommend enough though is a Trike. Those things are tanks. OK they are pretty slow but can carry a fair amount, gather tons of berries when ridden (much more efficient than farming them unless on a v large scale) but most importantly, as long as you can get enemies to charge at you head-on and you get your timing right, you can knock them backwards over and over from a surprisingly long range, and they get nowhere near you. I've taken out much more dangerous creatures in this manner.

Yeah, good old Trilobytes. My brother picked up a Phiomia saddle in a drop, was thinking of maybe taming one of them. I think a Raptor should be fairly straight forward, according to the taming calculator I could probably knock it out if my brother bolas it first. The only issue is time, I can't tame anything on a week night because of the time it will take.

This game, while somewhat basic and not without its little issues, is so much fun to play!:cheers: I've had it one week and already gotten my money's worth out of it.
I did end up taming a Phiomia but unfortunately lost it without ever really getting to use it as a Raptor somehow managed to eat it in the pen while we were logged out. Today we tamed two Raptors, one each for my brother and I. Mine was a level 65 wild, and unfortunately we don't have solid access to prime meat yet so it tamed out at around level 75 I think. it's now just over 80. The second one went to my brother and was a level 95. 🤬 shot it once after it was already passed out.:lol: So it tamed out around 105. I always felt Raptors were weaker than they should be in this game, but they're a good safety mount, fast enough to run away if needed. Thinking we need a Trike next as it takes way too long to gather Narcoberrys by hand.

I've been reading online and it seems Dinos will take about a week to starve to death. I hope that's true as sometimes it'll be a few days before I can get online.

I so very badly want this game. I've been Gran Turismo obsessed since I was 3 years old, but right now, this game interests me more than GT Sport.

Main thing is finally taking the plunge and buying a PS4.

Been looking at this game myself, do need to get a few of my regular co-gamers to get it too though. Don't want to be playing this sort of game on my own.

@lbpomg95 Yeah I still playing and enjoying the game. I still just playing single player as I cant be bothered playing online.
This game still remains one of my all time favourites !

@lbpomg95 Yeah I still playing and enjoying the game. I still just playing single player as I cant be bothered playing online.
This game still remains one of my all time favourites !
I'm really enjoying it as well. I've also only been playing single player (and might I add, cheating to buggery with the console commands!)

It can get a bit boring though playing alone, but none of my friends play Ark and I'll be ravaged from behind before I try public servers.

We should open a private server! Our own bases wherever, and on the rare time we need it, team up!

@lbpomg95 You on console or PC ?
I'm on PC, but i think they are working on having consoles and PC's share servers so we can all play together....But knowing their development history it could be a year before we see anything like that.

@lbpomg95 You on console or PC ?
I'm on PC, but i think they are working on having consoles and PC's share servers so we can all play together....But knowing their development history it could be a year before we see anything like that.
I'm on PS4, so knowing Sony that won't happen anytime soon.

I'm on PS4, so knowing Sony that won't happen anytime soon.

I'm trying to figure out a way to get myself a PS4 for when the new Red Dead Redemption comes out, if I manage to get one I'll pick up Ark too. If Santa brings me a nice Christmas bonus, I'll join you :)

I'm trying to figure out a way to get myself a PS4 for when the new Red Dead Redemption comes out, if I manage to get one I'll pick up Ark too. If Santa brings me a nice Christmas bonus, I'll join you :)
Sounds good! Though even my Pro struggles to run Ark so christ knows what a standard PS4 runs like.

Any PC ARK players out there? Been playing with a few of my mates on a private server. This game is so much fun, sunk too many hours in it already. 👍

Is anyone here still playing Ark ?
Just a bit curious about the Primitive+ conversion, has anyone tried it ?
Looking to give it a shot but have read of many bugs and performance issues, just wondering if its been fixed up and worth putting a bit of time in to ?

I occasionally play it on PS4, but it gets boring to play single player. None of my friends play it and I utterly refuse to go into a public server and get griefed by insufferable d***heads.

Framerate is still questionable. It's worse than just about any other game though it's still playable.

Back