Assetto Corsa Competizione Could Come to Consoles "If the Performance Is Good Enough"

Hi all any update whether ACC will coming to console this year perhaps? Thanks!

No.

If, by some infinitesimal chance, ACC does come to console this year then it'll have to be a release title for the next gen consoles (PS5 etc), but the likelihood of that happening is practically zero.

There's no way in hell it'll run on the current gen consoles if that's what you're thinking. Honestly you need a beast of a PC to run it well at just 1080p, and to get 60FPS at 4k in a race needs a minimum of an RTX 2080ti. Even then you'll need to drop the graphics back a bit unless you've got a serious overclock going with good thermal management in place.

If, by some infinitesimal chance, ACC does come to console this year then it'll have to be a release title for the next gen consoles (PS5 etc), but the likelihood of that happening is practically zero.
Why is the likelihood zero?

Why is the likelihood zero?

Because Kunos is still ironing out issues and adding features on the PC. I can imagine 2020 will be the year that the game gets "finished" and I doubt Kunos is going to throw resources at two unreleased consoles this year. I see it possible for 2021. Using Unreal will make the port easier than the mess AC was.

I really hope ACC comes to PS5 and XSX.

I tried the game last week with the new DLC and there is a lot of potential. But this game is really heavy on the CPU.

My I76700K with GTX1070 is not fast enough. A race with 15 AI and some light rain and it slowed down to the 30-45FPs range even with no other cars on screen.
I really need something like a 3700X with more cores.

A good optimized consoleversion could be a real serious E-sports title like GT sport is now on PS4.

I tried the game last week with the new DLC and there is a lot of potential. But this game is really heavy on the CPU.

My I76700K with GTX1070 is not fast enough. A race with 15 AI and some light rain and it slowed down to the 30-45FPs range even with no other cars on screen.

A good optimized consoleversion could be a real serious E-sports title like GT sport is now on PS4.

It's heavy on GPU too, I tried it over the weekend to see what VR performance was like. It was just about ok racing during the day with the graphics on Low, but as soon as I went to a night race it was pretty much unplayable (1070 here too). Ended up refunding it, sadly :(

Ouch, that doesn't sound good! Actually rather surprising.
I'm on a 1080 Ti and an i7 - 8700K and I get above 60 fps in virtually all scenarios (well, not at night with rain and 15 cars right in front of me), and that's on triple screen.
It's usually just below 60 at the start of any race, but as soon as the field spreads out I'm above 60 again.

Ouch, that doesn't sound good! Actually rather surprising.
I'm on a 1080 Ti and an i7 - 8700K and I get above 60 fps in virtually all scenarios (well, not at night with rain and 15 cars right in front of me), and that's on triple screen.
It's usually just below 60 at the start of any race, but as soon as the field spreads out I'm above 60 again.
You surely must have lowered the settings a huge amount to do that? Although I can't actually play the game because of the problem of the screen going dim that I started a thread about, I can just about see well enough to drive around the track and see the frame rate. With a Ryzen 5 3600, and a 5700 XT, I was only getting 70-80fps at 1080p single screen with the quality maxed out. The same PC runs R3E at the monitor's max refresh rate of 165fps (i.e. it could possibly run even higher than that if the monitor had a higher refresh rate) and FH4 runs at around 135fps, again both games with the quality settings maxed out. So ACC seems to be nearly twice as demanding as FH4, so it could maybe run at 1080p 30fps on an Xbox One X.

You surely must have lowered the settings a huge amount to do that?
Not really. Well, some of them, like mirrors and such, are at Mid. The important ones, like AA, shadows, textures and such are at High or Epic.
The trick is to set the settings as you want them and then just lower the resolution scale. I have it at 90 and that gives me about 10 fps extra with almost no visual degradation.

I think this game is less friendly towards AMD cards though, IIRC.

uch, that doesn't sound good! Actually rather surprising.
Yes, But your 8700K has 6 cores And ACC seems to like that more.

Core count didn't matter that much in ACC (according to a test) just a year ago, but yeah it could have changed. I'll have to see recent tests if there are any.

Holy cow, I'm glad I never messed around with the idea of getting a new laptop for this when it came out. I wasn't quite on the fence, but was thinking $1200 would surely set me up. Doesn't sound like it!

Also this graphical heaviness is worrying for console prospects. Seems odd.

Any-hoo, the idea of a new laptop has been chewing at me, so I came here to ask about how well the ranking/matchmaking system (I believe there is one?) works, and how often you can get some quality matches made up. But I think I'll sideline the new lappy idea for a while still.

Holy cow, I'm glad I never messed around with the idea of getting a new laptop for this when it came out. I wasn't quite on the fence, but was thinking $1200 would surely set me up. Doesn't sound like it!
It depends how fussy you are about how good the graphics look. I had a 6 year old R9 290 before the 5700XT, and it could do around 60fps at 1080p for ACC, but it needed the settings turning down to a level that I wasn't really happy with. But I am quite fussy about how the graphics look, I'm running FH4 at 4k with 4x MSAA then downsampled to 1080p for my screen because to me it looks so much better than 1080p 8x MSAA, but I have a friend who tells me he can't see any difference between any of the MSAA settings! They don't test cards on ACC, but here you can see several mobile graphics chips performing better than the R9 290 for FH4:
https://www.gpucheck.com/game/forza-horizon-4

Also this graphical heaviness is worrying for console prospects. Seems odd.

Any-hoo, the idea of a new laptop has been chewing at me, so I came here to ask about how well the ranking/matchmaking system (I believe there is one?) works, and how often you can get some quality matches made up. But I think I'll sideline the new lappy idea for a while still.

I got a laptop six months ago with an 8th-gen i7, (nerfed) RTX 2060 and 16GB RAM for US$1150. Game looks great in 1440p@60fps. Runs acceptably on my Rift S, too.

Thanks for the info. How well does ACC's ranking and matchmaking system work? Assuming those features are there. Is that active only for specific online races set up by Kunos, or can any server activate that stuff?

Thanks for the info. How well does ACC's ranking and matchmaking system work? Assuming those features are there. Is that active only for specific online races set up by Kunos, or can any server activate that stuff?

There isn't a matchmaking system like in GTS/iRacing. But there are Competition Servers (five a day in Europe but still three a day in NA I think). People sign up and are separated into different splits according to their CP rating. In Europe it works better since I have heard there are consistently multiple splits. But in NA sometimes a single room doesn't even fill up so you end up with aliens, fast, mediocre and slow people all together.

Hosting your own server you can set minimum requirements for drivers to get in.

Thanks for the insight.

I would hope that Kunos continues to crib off of GTS and consolidates to a handful of rotating matchmaking servers set up by them. Give people some kind of incentive to come race there and keep that separate from the open lobby type area.

When Kunos finally gave us the ability to create our own servers in AC for PS4, fun online races totally vanished for me. Before, you had the Tourist server, drift server and maybe GT3 servers always full, and then a few other race servers like DTM, vintage or that open wheel car where people overflowed to and you could get a fun race in. Once we could make our own servers, everything thinned out to nothing. Just user-set drift and tourist servers would have many people. There would be a few odd races going on, small fields, and then your occasional group get-together that was locked.

this game is really heavy on the CPU.

I'm not sure it's the CPU limiting you. I just tried a race with 24 AI and heavy rain, and at around 100FPS my CPU usage was only around 40%. I used this app to view CPU% while running the game, it's free to try, just displays a message over the game if you use it for free:

https://fpsmon.com/en/

My hardware is Ryzen 5 3600 and 5700 XT, my CPU shouldn't be THAT much more powerful than yours.

ACC will definitely make it to PS5 as I've said before, but I'm wondering what they will do to solve general heat and thermal throttle issues. Obviously there is way less room in a console, and it takes A LOT of active cooling and just space in general to keep my temps where they need to be so no performance is lost. I'm not doubting Sony's ability to solve the issue but I sure would love to take one a part and find out how they're gonna do it!!

ACC will definitely make it to PS5 as I've said before, but I'm wondering what they will do to solve general heat and thermal throttle issues. Obviously there is way less room in a console, and it takes A LOT of active cooling and just space in general to keep my temps where they need to be so no performance is lost. I'm not doubting Sony's ability to solve the issue but I sure would love to take one a part and find out how they're gonna do it!!
I think it'll be done on both ends; console and game. The game will be optimized to run great at what the console is designed to work with; and the console will have to be good at cooling to be able to really be next gen. So I'm not worried about that.

@Final_Phorm98, what's "crappy sim rig"?
Never heard of that brand. :dopey:
Lmao a conquer. Ewwww

I think it'll be done on both ends; console and game. The game will be optimized to run great at what the console is designed to work with; and the console will have to be good at cooling to be able to really be next gen. So I'm not worried about that.
I really want to see cross platform for competition races just to have more people matched I pretty much race with the same 20 ppl every day

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish every game on next-gen consoles would be cross-platform. EVERY GAME. With mouse and keyboard seeming to be pretty supported out of the gate, I'm excited for FPS and other games having that awesome feature.

I wish every game on next-gen consoles would be cross-platform. EVERY GAME. With mouse and keyboard seeming to be pretty supported out of the gate, I'm excited for FPS and other games having that awesome feature.
I don't see why they couldn't get a deal working and just allow ps5 users to buy games from Steam and be cross platform

I'm not sure it's the CPU limiting you. I just tried a race with 24 AI and heavy rain, and at around 100FPS my CPU usage was only around 40%. I used this app to view CPU% while running the game, it's free to try, just displays a message over the game if you use it for free:

https://fpsmon.com/en/

My hardware is Ryzen 5 3600 and 5700 XT, my CPU shouldn't be THAT much more powerful than yours.
This title is just good with Ryzen. I run 144fps locked with mainly epic settings

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.assettocorsa.net/competizione/

Since we all know it's arriving in months I just hope it's fully like the PC version with a few extras.
I don't expect the graphics to be the same but I expect it to be better than PC2.
Another plus would be a grid of 32 cars plus if possible.
Right now I am waiting on the download pre order links to arrive.

https://www.assettocorsa.net/competizione/

Since we all know it's arriving in months I just hope it's fully like the PC version with a few extras.
I don't expect the graphics to be the same but I expect it to be better than PC2.
Another plus would be a grid of 32 cars plus if possible.
Right now I am waiting on the download pre order links to arrive.

Even on PC grids are restricted to 29 AI cars at most circuits. Spa is one exception. Since the consoles CPU is rather weak, i dont think there will be more AI cars then 22. AI and physics in ACC are much more complex then in PC2.

Back