Assetto Corsa in VRPC 

• Thread starter r3b3ld3
  • 362 comments
I can run AC with PP in VR at 120FPS (single car/clear weather), with a full grid and rain I can still get 45-60 which would allow ASW to work well enough for a smooth experience. you just need to turn on AC motion blur and not use extraFX. This is with a 2080TI
I am hoping 40 series cards will be able to keep 120FPS in all conditions.
120 FPS with PP on?? That's insane man.. :D

I have a Quest 2
CPU is Ryzen 5900X
GPU is a RTX3070
So not super high-end, but surely good enough to run AC on some good settings... even in VR. But PP just kills it..

I run the Oculus Tray Tool 0.87 (run it as admin before you start AC)
Default Super Sampling = 0
Default ASW Mode = OFF
Adaptive GPU Scaling = ON
FOV Multiplier = 0,00 and 0,00
Force Mipmap = FALSE
Offset Mipmap = 0

Oculus Desktop Client Settings:

Refresh Rate = 90Hz
Render Resolution = 4128 x 2096 (1.1 multiplier)

Content Manager (v 0.8.2439.39630)
SETTINGS:
Tab 'Content Manager' : nothing special..
Tab 'Assetto Corsa':
VIDEO:
  • Rendering Mode: Oculus Rift
  • Fullscreen, resolution 2560 x 1080, 99,98Hz
Quality:
-MSAA: 4x
-Anisotropic filtering: 16x
-World Details: Maximum
-Shadows Reflection: 4096 x 4096
-Smoke generation: Maximum
Reflections:
-Resolution: 2048 x 2048
-Frequency: Six faces per frame

Like I said, if I enable PP, even on the lowest settings, the FPS just crashes...
CPU is Ryzen 5900X
GPU is a RTX3070

So basically same as me then, you say its not high end but 8 years ago when AC came out 1070 /1080's were the top GPU.
I know we have CSP but that should not be rendering 3070 obsolete.

And besides AC post processing has always been there.

How about, if you haven't tried this yet, take stock kunos track, grid of stock kunos cars and see how performance is.

Not saying it is, but you could be using one terrible mod car or track and it can throw the whole thing out of whack.

On the same set up pretty much as you without fiddling around I got 80fps solid in my first go in VR without making a new pre-set for it.

Also steam still has gtx 1060 as the most used GPU, so to have a RTX 3070 particularly after the last few years is bloody great.
Its not your GPU.

I have a Quest 2
CPU is Ryzen 5900X
GPU is a RTX3070
So not super high-end, but surely good enough to run AC on some good settings... even in VR. But PP just kills it..

Default ASW Mode = OFF
Force Mipmap = FALSE
Offset Mipmap = 0

Refresh Rate = 90Hz

SETTINGS:
Tab 'Assetto Corsa':
VIDEO:
Quality:
Reflections:

Like I said, if I enable PP, even on the lowest settings, the FPS just crashes...
Set Anisotropic Filtering via nVidia control panel and set it to off in game

When smooth, so no stuttering, 72Hz are way better than a stuttering 90Hz.

I reduce vertical FOV to 90% (0.9), it's almost unnoticeable in racing games and lets you gain 10% of performances (has to be applied on every windows power on):
1658949510167.png

I was going to ask a similar question. I run with a 3080 GTX 45.1 fps on HTV Vive pro 2 (VR). I was wondering how VR users increase their FPS as well. Masscot may know.
All this VR talk should probably be in the VR thread, but I assume everyone is using vrperfkit?

Didn't even know this existed. Thank you. Do you mind sharing a copy of your vrperfkit.yml file so I can compare to vanilla to see what potentially could be changed?
Here you go. Remove the .txt extension.

Attachments

• vrperfkit.yml.txt
    4.9 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Here you go. Remove the .txt extension.
Thank you. Are any other vrperfkit paths or location variables needed. Right now I have dxgi and this file in root of AC. Have the vrperfkit files installed on a separate drive and not sure how it will read the libraries.

Last edited:
I have a Quest 2
CPU is Ryzen 5900X
GPU is a RTX3070

Default ASW Mode = OFF
Force Mipmap = FALSE
Offset Mipmap = 0

Refresh Rate = 90Hz

SETTINGS:
Tab 'Assetto Corsa':
VIDEO:
Quality:
Reflections:

you need ASW to be forced ON and set the refresh rate to 120hz on the Oculus. AC Motion Blur must also be on

does enabling fsr through this toolkit provide better results than the implementation in CM? are there any other benefits?
Thank you. Are any other vrperfkit paths or location variables needed. Right now I have dxgi and this file in root of AC. Have the vrperfkit files installed on a separate drive and not sure how it will read the libraries.
No idea, sorry - I set this up a long time ago and cannot remember exactly how. Have a play with it and experiment - what works for me might not work for you anyway.

CPU is Ryzen 5900X
GPU is a RTX3070

So basically same as me then, you say its not high end but 8 years ago when AC came out 1070 /1080's were the top GPU.
I know we have CSP but that should not be rendering 3070 obsolete.

And besides AC post processing has always been there.

How about, if you haven't tried this yet, take stock kunos track, grid of stock kunos cars and see how performance is.

Not saying it is, but you could be using one terrible mod car or track and it can throw the whole thing out of whack.

On the same set up pretty much as you without fiddling around I got 80fps solid in my first go in VR without making a new pre-set for it.

Also steam still has gtx 1060 as the most used GPU, so to have a RTX 3070 particularly after the last few years is bloody great.
Its not your GPU.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not unhappy with my 3070 :):)
It's for sure a great card.
I tried the kunos tracks and cars, but the performance is the same.

Why when you turn off PP filter the car lights don’t work. Can you turn one thing back on for the lights to work correct.

What is actually the difference between setting the resolution in the Quest 2 (via de Oculus app) en setting the resolution in AC / CM?
Do both have their use?

Why when you turn off PP filter the car lights don’t work. Can you turn one thing back on for the lights to work correct.
not sure why it causes it but if the pp filter is off that's pretty much it, nothing else can bring the lights back. some car lights are still somewhat visible but the nice bloom effect is gone.

depending on what your racing its not so much of an issue like single seaters in the dry but overall the pp filter does add some nice extras. with it off however the picture in vr is sharper and looks better and the performance is miles better. an alternative is running fsr but that degrades the quality somewhat. this is less noticable in wet weather where the extra performance is really needed.

if you need the filter on run the natural_mod one which provides the best vr image and performance imo.

i did manage to get opencomposite to work and bypass steamvr completely freeing up extra performance. unfortunately reshade doesnt work and also the reprojection sucks so i just went back to steam vr.

Last edited:
What is actually the difference between setting the resolution in the Quest 2 (via de Oculus app) en setting the resolution in AC / CM?
Do both have their use?
That setting in CM under Assetto Corsa-Video is the rez/size of the AC desktop at the track. I use 4k there. In the Oculus app, you're setting the resolution being displayed on the Quest 2. (now I'm at 90hz-1.1x - 4128x2096 with 89.7 fps, added 8x-experimental aa...fixed the aliasing quite well)

Last edited:
That setting in CM under Assetto Corsa-Video is the rez/size of the AC desktop at the track. I use 4k there. In the Oculus app, you're setting the resolution being displayed on the Quest 2. (now I'm at 90hz-1.1x - 4128x2096 with 89.7 fps, added 8x-experimental aa...fixed the aliasing quite well)
Right, thanks for explaining! 👍

not sure why it causes it but if the pp filter is off that's pretty much it, nothing else can bring the lights back. some car lights are still somewhat visible but the nice bloom effect is gone.

depending on what your racing its not so much of an issue like single seaters in the dry but overall the pp filter does add some nice extras. with it off however the picture in vr is sharper and looks better and the performance is miles better. an alternative is running fsr but that degrades the quality somewhat. this is less noticable in wet weather where the extra performance is really needed.

if you need the filter on run the natural_mod one which provides the best vr image and performance imo.

i did manage to get opencomposite to work and bypass steamvr completely freeing up extra performance. unfortunately reshade doesnt work and also the reprojection sucks so i just went back to steam vr.
Hi. Yes had a play with different filters but came back to default one. Will try natural one as advised. Hopefully when I get a new graphics card this will up the performance. Already done the cpu memory ect upgrade just waiting for new Nvidia cards. Many thanks.

Hi. I recently switched PCs and just copied the whole AC folder aswell as the files in documents and the CM %appdata% folder. So far everything works great, everything but replays in VR. I don't remember exactly how they worked before as I hadn't used AC in VR for quite a while (had awful performance compared to AMS2), but my problem is that the replay menu doesn't appear and I seem to be stuck in geometry whenever I select replay while in VR, the sort of geometry where everything starts getting distorted around me. Would really appreciate it if anyone knew how to enable replays in VR. Thanks in advance.

Normally after a race you press ext on your keyboard which brings up a menu. Then select replay then it should start. Then choose replay cams with the F3 button on your keyboard

I have a Quest 2
CPU is Ryzen 5900X
GPU is a RTX3070

Default ASW Mode = OFF
Force Mipmap = FALSE
Offset Mipmap = 0

Refresh Rate = 90Hz

SETTINGS:
Tab 'Assetto Corsa':
VIDEO:
Quality:
Reflections:

I always keep ASW off and run Quest2 at 72Hz (when ASW on , 120Hz is just gonna take 60 frames from AC and add a fake 'estimated' frame between each frame , so better to have 72 real frames per second then 60 real ones and 60 artificial ones in between).
Besides PP off (which indeed means for me diff between CPY usage of approx 70% to close to 100 (so +30%)
i also have refrection res & frequency much lower (1024x1024 and Two faces per frame).
having to calc 6x per frame at that resolution must also be a huge impact on GPU.

I also never used motion blur... seems bit pointless in VR (your eyes/mind will do that for you, why have the GPU spend extra resource to simulate that? )

ps: since latest update of Oculus , I need to unplug my USB cable of Quest and replug it for Link to work (otherwise i get this "Searching for PC's..." and he doesn't find the Quest (which is plugged in the pc ) ...
Pfff what a step back ! this way my usb-c port of the quest and cable will wear much sooner (before i did not have to unplug and replug each time). Anyone else noticed this and found a workaround?

Last edited:
just wanted to add that the new pureCandy filter included in the latest version is my new go to filter now. having god rays back and everything else it adds is a game changer. also its not too heavy on the fps. everything just looks miles better.

ps: since latest update of Oculus , I need to unplug my USB cable of Quest and replug it for Link to work (otherwise i get this "Searching for PC's..." and he doesn't find the Quest (which is plugged in the pc ) ...
Pfff what a step back ! this way my usb-c port of the quest and cable will wear much sooner (before i did not have to unplug and replug each time). Anyone else noticed this and found a workaround?
Yup, I have the exact same thing! Very annoying.
I tried different things, but no workaround as of yet.

just wanted to add that the new pureCandy filter included in the latest version is my new go to filter now. having god rays back and everything else it adds is a game changer. also its not too heavy on the fps. everything just looks miles better.
Where did you get that filter?

tried it but I preffer the PureLife filter (way better looking imho - but "des goûts et des couleurs...")

I tried this and everything was horribly bleached and overexposed, blindingly so.
Weird!
Went back to pureSIMPLE which looks good to me.

Back