Assetto Corsa | News and General Discussion

• Thread starter mister dog
  • 10,320 comments
Bought AC yesterday after reading all the hype and have to say I am disappointed. So many things are unsorted that I can't enjoy the game. For example, the 599XX Evo. The steering is strangely light compared to other cars, the sense of speed is almost nonexistent, and the connection to the road is very strange. The car has almost 800hp in real life but drives like an econobox with slicks (too much grip).

The sounds. Not good, the engine sounds of the cars in this game don't even remotely resemble the real cars. They don't even sound like real cars, just strange synth sounds.

What does everyone else love? What am I missing?

Same goes with project cars, while some elements make for a more immersive experience than GT5, the lack of refinement in other elements makes the game too frustrating and stressful to enjoy.

From what I know the 599xx is meant to be really sensitive steering wise, it doesn't really have too much grip. It has slightly less grip/cornering speeds than the GT2 BMW due to being heavier and having slightly less downforce, which is about accurate, but it runs faster laptimes than the GT2 BMW as a result of it's much higher power (740bhp, not 800).

Sense of speed is something you can change (FOV settings), the sounds aren't great I'l give you that but when compared to Gran Turismo they are a lot better. Connection to the road? That is FFB settings, again there are some things you must setup before you get things right, depends on the wheel you use. The FFB is clipping a lot in quite a few cars up at 100 gain (default), far from ideal. If you put the pedals indicator app on you have

Bar 1 : Clutch
Bar 2 : Brake
Bar 3 : Throttle
Bar 4 : FFB - when it goes red, it's clipping and you're losing information.

Be aware that the game simulates the real car's steering wheel, so for example the F40 will have more feeling and weight through the wheel than the F458, as the 458 has a light wheel feel with the power steering. There is not a generic FFB feel across the board but an attempt to simulate the wheel feel of the real car in each case.

Regarding grip, a lot of these supercars have "Super Soft" tires as their default setup. You can then usually go to Soft slick, medium slick, hard slick.

As for the 599xx, I've been enjoying this car a lot, but I'll say my enjoyment of all the supercars has gone up a ton with my new 330mm wheel. So much less twitchy and synthetic. Even the F40 is fairly tamable now.

Free? is nice, could care less about the car though.
Internet snob. :P

snob2.jpg

Yeah, I would prefer a Renault R8, Healy sprite, Toyota MR2 Spyder, etc, etc to any Ferrari, guess that makes me a real snob.
:) The thing is Kunos built Ferrari Virtual Accademy, they are italian so Ferrari is being nice with them.
You know how much money Microsoft pay for this kind of licensing? And pCars carlist is great but doesn't have Ferrari. rFactor 2, iRacing, R3E, Game Stockcar neither. So I consider it as a sort of PC exclusive which is a big big plus if you ask me.

Anyway Kunos recently asked people what cars they would like to be added and the majority voted things like Nissan GT-R, Audi R18 and other mainstrem stuff.

Since they can please some people some time but they can't please all the people all the time, for the cars you mentioned I think modding is your best bet.

For now waiting Assetto Corsa modding to kick in, if you have rFactor you could go ahead and download the Toyota MR2 mod.

http://www.drivingitalia.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=55955

And if this is the Renault you are refering to, this page might be worth looking.
http://www.rfactorcentral.com/detail.cfm?ID=R8 Gordini

:) The thing is Kunos built Ferrari Virtual Accademy, they are italian so Ferrari is being nice with them.
You know how much money Microsoft pay for this kind of licensing? And pCars carlist is great but doesn't have Ferrari. rFactor 2, iRacing, R3E, Game Stockcar neither. So I consider it as a sort of PC exclusive which is a big big plus if you ask me.

Anyway Kunos recently asked people what cars they would like to be added and the majority voted things like Nissan GT-R, Audi R18 and other mainstrem stuff.

Since they can please some people some time but they can't please all the people all the time, for the cars you mentioned I think modding is your best bet.

For now waiting Assetto Corsa modding to kick in, if you have rFactor you could go ahead and download the Toyota MR2 mod.

http://www.drivingitalia.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=55955

And if this is the Renault you are refering to, this page might be worth looking.
http://www.rfactorcentral.com/detail.cfm?ID=R8 Gordini

Actually the only rfactor mod I've found worth keeping is the Historix GTTC mod. Cleaned out all my other rfactor installs. And yes, I don't expect KS to deliver the content I want. And thats ok.

No offense, but you need to spend more time driving and setting up on AC, because the majority of your issue with this sim are all adjustable and moddable.. The reason why we enjoy this sim better than other is the physics, mod, graphics, and accurate track that other sim don't offer at the moment, except Iracing, minus the graphics and mod.

P.S: Also maybe your steering wheel has issue..

I am sure it can be morphed into a good game, I feel that the level of detail is there, just that no one in the company has taken the time to fine tune the feedback or settings. I will play around with it some more but come on, shouldn't we be getting something already refined out of the box?

From what I know the 599xx is meant to be really sensitive steering wise, it doesn't really have too much grip. It has slightly less grip/cornering speeds than the GT2 BMW due to being heavier and having slightly less downforce, which is about accurate, but it runs faster laptimes than the GT2 BMW as a result of it's much higher power (740bhp, not 800).

Sense of speed is something you can change (FOV settings), the sounds aren't great I'l give you that but when compared to Gran Turismo they are a lot better. Connection to the road? That is FFB settings, again there are some things you must setup before you get things right, depends on the wheel you use. The FFB is clipping a lot in quite a few cars up at 100 gain (default), far from ideal. If you put the pedals indicator app on you have

Bar 1 : Clutch
Bar 2 : Brake
Bar 3 : Throttle
Bar 4 : FFB - when it goes red, it's clipping and you're losing information.

Be aware that the game simulates the real car's steering wheel, so for example the F40 will have more feeling and weight through the wheel than the F458, as the 458 has a light wheel feel with the power steering. There is not a generic FFB feel across the board but an attempt to simulate the wheel feel of the real car in each case.

About the clipping, I saw a video about that the other day and set things appropriately. I will spend more time with AC and see if I can write down the issues more specifically to see if anyone can help me fix them.

I am sure it can be morphed into a good game, I feel that the level of detail is there, just that no one in the company has taken the time to fine tune the feedback or settings. I will play around with it some more but come on, shouldn't we be getting something already refined out of the box?

Well, you can't really please everyone without those wheel settings.. Some prefer what they think is real, which is no curb, rumble strip effect, or road bumps.. But others do, and this has been argued to death in other sim forum on what they think is real. So in the end, it's all about preference and what makes you enjoy driving.. You should try watching or listening to Empty Box on youtube, he gives opinion about wheel settings, about other sims, etc. Good channel IMO, and he's pretty good driver too.

Well, I've certainly got mixed feelings about AC so far. I'm enjoying a few cars/tracks, but I'm mostly left frustrated.

I really struggle to "feel" the car when on/near/over the limit, making it difficult to drive quickly. I also can't stand the cut course slow downs, especially in practice mode. Makes it really hard to acclimatize to the game when you can't push the limits. Any way to turn them off?
The grip levels seem really weird as well, sometimes the car has way more grip than you would expect, and other times you just slide off the road.

Can someone post recommended FFB settings for a Logitech G27? Maybe changing them will help. Wish the settings menu was as intuitive as iRacing's.

The grip levels seem really weird as well, sometimes the car has way more grip than you would expect, and other times you just slide off the road.

Have you check your tire temps? You get a lot of grip when you're pushing the car hard, especially on soft tires, but it also loses grip if you ease off or overheat the tires. I usually use street or hard tires when driving and they're more balanced and don't overheat much.

This seems to have come out of nowhere and I've not seen the usual official announcement on Facebook but.

http://www.virtualr.net/assetto-corsa-mclaren-p1-coming

According to this article, the Mclaren P1 is coming to Assetto Corsa. Amazing news (from my perspective) if it is true, as this is definitely a car I'm very excited to drive, and was very disapointed wasn't in GT6. All that is left is for them to announce the Mclaren F1 and Ferrari F50! I suppose one can dream.

This seems to have come out of nowhere and I've not seen the usual official announcement on Facebook but.

http://www.virtualr.net/assetto-corsa-mclaren-p1-coming

According to this article, the Mclaren P1 is coming to Assetto Corsa. Amazing news (from my perspective) if it is true, as this is definitely a car I'm very excited to drive, and was very disapointed wasn't in GT6. All that is left is for them to announce the Mclaren F1 and Ferrari F50! I suppose one can dream.

ibxLHf57e8Dy7j.gif

Can someone post recommended FFB settings for a Logitech G27? Maybe changing them will help. Wish the settings menu was as intuitive as iRacing's.
I suggest you visit the official AC forums for lots of information.
I'm currently running my G25 with profiler at 101% force, everything else zero, centering spring off. Then in game I have a profile set to 85% gain, all the fake effects on the left of the screen disabled, all the gamma type settings on the right of the screen at default. A hint of damping or filtering of the FFB (say 0.1-0.2) smooths up the FFB a bit, not quite sure yet what I prefer. Try without either, see what you think.

If you use the pedal app, you can easily tell if and how much clipping you are getting. G25 at 100% gain is clipping quite a bit. 80% gives almost zero clipping on all cars. Ideally I'd use say 90% on the F458 but only 80% on the race cars. 85% is my compromise to avoid constantly changing settings.

There have been a few hints let out, but nothing official. They have done these "hints" about the patch content before so I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be accurate.

They did say that they where going to work very hard on it so we could get it in the next scheduled update, or "at least" in the form of a Special Event.

Can't wait! Is this going to be the last update before 1.0? This might be completely false, but I recall reading somewhere that the devs promised only 3 major updates for the early access beta. Back then I didn't own the game yet so I didn't pay much attention, so I might be wrong.

Pardon my noobness on this, but I never use steam. If an update comes out, will the game tell me about the update automatically, or should I DL the update from steam manually?

Jerome

Back