Assetto Corsa vs. PCars 2 vs GTS: Physics, FFB

• Thread starter Fredzy
  • 361 comments
Even though I love the dynamic weather and time in PC2, I still keep coming back to AC. The physics are just better from the get go. Yes AC suffers from fps issues, but I solve that by using max 8 cars on track. Than it is good, really good.

I played GTS to the bit where there was nothing for me to gain anymore. I am stuck at level 25 and I do not see any reason to go further. The major problem is its physics, especially with the fast/very fast cars. It just doesn't feel right. Looks stunning though.

I keep on switching between AC and F12017. I like the later a lot because of its full race weekend vibe. I just finished my first 100% race. My god what a nice experience that was :D

Race on!

Everyone knows that GTS looks better than AC and PC2

Does it really though?

Now before I get the raised eyebrow keyboard translation hear me out.
The lighting model in GTS is far superior, as is the replay footage, garage views, scapes and so on.
But, in the cockpit on track something for me is off and I can't quite narrow it down.
FOV adjustability is terrible, track surfaces are all identical ribbons of smooth tarmac and everything looks like a HUD cluttered spit shined GT6.
Perhaps the poor physics have begun to affect my eyes I don't know.

AC is a handsome, simplistic environment that relaxes me and allows me to focus on the driving.

Admittedly I've adjusted my 32" 1080p drastically to get that smooth movie look, low sharpness, color and brightness.

I can race AC for a 6 hour session but I'm finished with GT after one or two Dailies.

Does it really though?

Now before I get the raised eyebrow keyboard translation hear me out.
The lighting model in GTS is far superior, as is the replay footage, garage views, scapes and so on.
But, in the cockpit on track something for me is off and I can't quite narrow it down.
FOV adjustability is terrible, track surfaces are all identical ribbons of smooth tarmac and everything looks like a HUD cluttered spit shined GT6.
Perhaps the poor physics have begun to affect my eyes I don't know.

AC is a handsome, simplistic environment that relaxes me and allows me to focus on the driving.

Admittedly I've adjusted my 32" 1080p drastically to get that smooth movie look, low sharpness, color and brightness.

I can race AC for a 6 hour session but I'm finished with GT after one or two Dailies.

You won't raise my eyebrows that's for sure! Don't worry!

I gave up giving my opinion on graphics, since it's a bit of a subjective issue, and since I already raised many eyebrows myself!

In my opinion, "good graphics" are synonyms to "realistic graphics".
Some people simply, and rightfully, don't agree. They like saturated colors, shiny stuff, lots of colors and effects; I don't.

When Project cars 2 was released, people were craving over its graphics and looks. I made a post in here (gtp) saying that I don't like its graphics coz they simply don't look real to me. I prefer AC's graphics; they look more realistic and even clearer.
I went to attach 2 photos of the Mclaren P1 on nubrurgring GP, taken from same exact point on the track, in cockpit view and with same FOV.
AC was much clearer and I could see small digits or read the sign at the end of the main straight while I barely could in PC2.
Guess what? I didn't get too much love for that.
Unfortunately, they mix good graphics with effects, weather effects, colors and eye candy etc... I'm more interested in clarity, resolution, fidelity etc...

In short, I completely agree with you. For me, I still prefer AC's presentation over GTS and PC2, but I discovered that I'm the exception and not the rule in that regard; that's why I went with "Everyone knows that GTS looks better than AC and PC2"; (although it's debatable, not necessarily always true or wrong).

In my opinion, "good graphics" are synonyms to "realistic graphics".
Some people simply, and rightfully, don't agree. They like saturated colors, shiny stuff, lots of colors and effects; I don't.

I could not have said it better you've nailed it.
Such as the way the trees surround you on the straights of Monza in AC.
They're just very full, modelled well and realistic.
I can only look forward to AC2 with an even better presentation of realism with the new engine being developed.

I remember one of my non-simracing gamer friend told me "get one game and stick to it and get good at it". I was like "nah, that's not enjoyable! Those games are all awesome and I would like to drive every possible track and car and game!". While both of us have a good point of view, sometimes I think now that he wasn't too wrong after all!
It comes down to what you are really looking for, what you get the most enjoyment out of. My tastes have shifted toward driving games being a substitute for actual track time, so realism is critical. From GT1 through 6, I'd have pegged variety as the key ingredient in my ideal game.

For people who tend to take the their interests to the extreme, I think it's natural to narrow the focus - like concentrating on just one position in the sport you play, or just the one game if you're into eSports. Or even just one car in a particular driving game! Once you get to a certain level, Assetto Corsa and GTS might look as different as Counter Strike and FIFA. Spreading yourself over the two could blur your focus and bring you down overall.

I just ran a comparison using the same car, same track, all default settings except soft slicks and 30L fuel across all three.

I didn't assume they'd be very close but it was good to see AC and PC2 only a second off, which was probably my driving.

What didn't surprise me was GT being 5 seconds faster.
The physics are really off, if your corner entry is too fast no problem just turn the wheel a little more. Understeer sorted.

The video really doesn't do much but it is nice to see the different physic models back to back.
And damn, Project Cars 2 sounds good.

@Scaff and yes i compared Bathrust in PC2 and GTS. And you're absolutely right. It's much better in PC2. I still dunno wha tricked me the first thinking it's better on GTS, maybe it was the FFB. Cheers mate for your awesome works.

So this one is interesting.

I've followed Driver 61 for a while because of the excellent stuff he puts out on real world racing, track guides, etc. However his focus has almost exclusively been on just that, the real world.

This popped up earlier today.

The software used at SimTechPro?

Iracing and Assetto Corsa.

His opinion of Assetto Corsa?

AC.jpg

More will be coming by the look of it as well.

AC 2.jpg

Last edited:

I've followed Driver 61 for a while because of the excellent stuff he puts out on real world racing, track guides, etc. However his focus has almost exclusively been on just that, the real world.

View attachment 708230

View attachment 708232

Thanks for the vid. Now I have to get AC!

View attachment 708230

View attachment 708232

I just watched this video now!

I like how he said something along the lines "I always thought sims are great for circuit learning and some focus training but not the physics, until I just tried Assetto Corsa" and he mentioned that he tried some of those before!
Funny to hear that from a pro driver and pro driver coach!

I just wonder what did he try before AC?!

I just watched this video now!

I like how he said something along the lines "I always thought sims are great for circuit learning and some focus training but not the physics, until I just tried Assetto Corsa" and he mentioned that he tried some of those before!
Funny to hear that from a pro driver and pro driver coach!

I just wonder what did he try before AC?!
He mentioned in passing in one video that the rig they have currently they run iRacing, Project Cars (doesn't say what version) and Rfactor.

Doesn't say any more than that.

It interesting as this does seem to be a very unbiased view we are getting to see.

Yeah we both have AC and PC2 and I think we might both agree that AC is better overall in terms of handling.
I'd like to try using iRacing someday. The general feedback I see from people (especially on FB at "Sim racers" group) is that it's not far away from PC2 in that aspect. It has the top of the best customizabilty, FFB, overall online racing/experience but not the top spot in handling and physics.
I could be wrong tho, or the people saying so could be, but that's just my impression.

Not sure if this was already posted or not, but Jan Seyffarth (AMG Driver and Academy Instructor) tried AC on Xbox and was really impressed by the realism:

^ German audio but english subs are available.
I felt he was about to cry man! So emotional!

It's really the more I drive other games, the more I like AC!

Isn't FFB 45 a bit low for this wheel?!

Indeed sir it is.
I have an old 2011 Fanatec CSR elite setup I run with drivehub for better FFB.
I can't replace the Fanatec, and I'm afraid to work the T150 too hard so I swap them out occasionally.
Hoping the T150 might last a bit longer by running lower FFB.

I tried the lower values for FFB as in the merc video. Did not like it at all. Especially the skid = 0, does not make sense. It's one of the things I love in AC: you can feel your car losing grip with this setting set to something.

Back