Assetto Corsa Wins Red Bull's Readers' Racing Game of the Year 2016

Considering how popular Forza is and how good Horizon 3 is, its great to see Assetto Corsa beat them. Goes to show how actively AC fans show support for the sim online. I had a good feeling about AC when I signed up for early access. I'm glad I was right. As I see it, its a huge win for Kunos. You've got my support guys, keep killing it.

After so many recent titles being good products in many ways but huge letdowns in term of physics and FFB it is nice to see a truly excellent SIM win this. Hopefully this will help developers see that there is a market for something beyond the "simcade" market most modern products seem aimed-it. Imagine how fun something like PCars, the Dirt series, GT Sport, or the Forza series would be if they just had a great foundation in the FFB and Physics departments. Wow.

Considering how popular Forza is and how good Horizon 3 is, its great to see Assetto Corsa beat them. Goes to show how actively AC fans show support for the sim online. I had a good feeling about AC when I signed up for early access. I'm glad I was right. As I see it, its a huge win for Kunos. You've got my support guys, keep killing it.

AC — at least, in the form most of the ardent diehards tout it — wasn't released in 2016 though. The console versions were, and they were riddled with performance issues on release, and still lag behind the PC version in numerous ways.

In terms of realism, force feedback, and physics, yeah, I'd give it the nod over any other title this year. But as an overall game, I find the package too compromised: you have to basically overlook every other aspect of the game for those three bullet points. Okay, and Porsche, which is an admittedly impressive feather in Kunos' cap.

Different strokes and all that of course, though. I won't go so far as to say the award is undeserved, because the team is obviously putting in a lot of work, and a smaller team getting the nod is sure to put the establishment on notice. As ever, competition breeds excellence.

AC — at least, in the form most of the ardent diehards tout it — wasn't released in 2016 though. The console versions were, and they were riddled with performance issues on release, and still lag behind the PC version in numerous ways.

In terms of realism, force feedback, and physics, yeah, I'd give it the nod over any other title this year. But as an overall game, I find the package too compromised: you have to basically overlook every other aspect of the game for those three bullet points. Okay, and Porsche, which is an admittedly impressive feather in Kunos' cap.

Different strokes and all that of course, though. I won't go so far as to say the award is undeserved, because the team is obviously putting in a lot of work, and a smaller team getting the nod is sure to put the establishment on notice. As ever, competition breeds excellence.

And yet despite all the average forum resident complaining about what is missing, it was voted #1,
I think because the driving is fantastic and happy people drive more and complain less.

Last edited:
AC for the Console was released in 2016, and the Award should be BASED only on that.
Based on What was released in 2016.
The Console version of AC is at the Bottom of my List.
How can you have a competition / award system where one title has been out 3 years longer then the others?
Totally bogus. Forza Wins in my Book.
Kunos should give the Award back, it wasn't earned by their 2016 release.

While I personally think Dirt Rally is in overall better shape on the consoles, I certainly can't complain that Assetto Corsa won and I'm happy with the game and the progress Kunos is making with the console version so hopefully before long it will be right up there with the PC version.

AC for the Console was released in 2016, and the Award should be BASED only on that.
How can you have a competition / award system where one title has been out 3 years longer then the others?
Ah so Forza didn't spend years in development and was released in one day? The only difference being that people on PC could play the development builds.

Forza wins, really ? I agree Forza is a good GAME, but the most important future of any race game should be the implementation and behavior of a wheel(physics and ffb). And that's completely broken with all the Forza games.

It's not an award voted on by industry professionals, it's a popularity contest run by Redbull. There is no "earning" here, just who is most popular with the fans that bothered to vote in the competition and, as such, the most deserving title won because it was the most popular. It's entirely possible the fanbase is more geared towards simulation games and those that voted could care less about the "gaming" aspects of the various titles.

Ah so Forza didn't spend years in development and was released in one day? The only difference being that people on PC could play the development builds.
Anyone with half their sense knows that a Game takes a few years of Development.
The Award was for a racing game released in 2016. Not one released in 2013.
So the votes for Asetto Corsa should ONLY have been based on the Console version.
I'm not finding that to be my Go to driving Sim, as it's only Half a game with too many aspects missing.
The PC version, released starting in 2013, Yeah that an entirely different game, vs what the Consoles got.

Forza wins, really ? I agree Forza is a good GAME, but the most important future of any race game should be the implementation and behavior of a wheel(physics and ffb). And that's completely broken with all the Forza games.

Maybe I should have been more Specific
1) Forza Horizon 3
2) Dirt Rally
3) F1 2016
4) Assetto Corsa

My opinion, you don't have to agree with it.

It's not an award voted on by industry professionals, it's a popularity contest run by Redbull. There is no "earning" here, just who is most popular with the fans that bothered to vote in the competition and, as such, the most deserving title won because it was the most popular. It's entirely possible the fanbase is more geared towards simulation games and those that voted could care less about the "gaming" aspects of the various titles.

Not sure what the criteria was, as the article doesn reference it.
I just thought if you're going to hold a Vote for Best Racing Game of 2016, you should base it on what was Released in 2016, and not Include the previous 2013 version.

Project Cars didn't even make the List, but it's Received updates in 2016,
just the same as the 2013 version of Assetto Corsa did.

So technically, I'd say the PC version of Assetto Corsa should have been disqualified from being Considered.
what % of that 29% was based on Just the Console Release, VS the PC version?

Don't get me wrong, Kunos does deserve Congratulations, for what they have achieved, I just don't feel the Console release in 2016, deserves 2016 Racing Game of the Year.
and That's my Opinion.

I'm not finding that to be my Go to driving Sim,

My opinion, you don't have to agree with it.

I just thought if you're going to hold a Vote for Best Racing Game

So technically, I'd say the PC version of Assetto Corsa should have been disqualified from being Considered.

I just don't feel the Console release in 2016, deserves 2016 Racing Game of the Year.
and That's my Opinion.

Obviously the people who voted in the poll didn't agree with you. Email Red Bull though maybe next time they will consult you first.

Game of the year for me was DiRT Rally. Assetto Corsa has the potential to be a very good console racing game in 2017, the problem is I'm not sure Kunos have the desire (they don't have huge resources but that's not the main issue imo) to make it happen for console users.

The PC version, released starting in 2013, Yeah that an entirely different game, vs what the Consoles got.
Take a look at how AC was like back in 2013. You can't call that a full game it was early access and bare bones.

Not sure what the criteria was, as the article doesn reference it.
I just thought if you're going to hold a Vote for Best Racing Game of 2016, you should base it on what was Released in 2016, and not Include the previous 2013 version.

Project Cars didn't even make the List, but it's Received updates in 2016,
just the same as the 2013 version of Assetto Corsa did.

what % of that 29% was based on Just the Console Release, VS the PC version?

Don't get me wrong, Kunos does deserve Congratulations, for what they have achieved, I just don't feel the Console release in 2016, deserves 2016 Racing Game of the Year.
and That's my Opinion.
I didn't disagree with you, I simply pointed out that "deserve" has no place in the conversation. It's a popularity contest voted on by fans of Redbull.com. It's like saying John Scott didn't deserve to be an NHL All Star last year. Being an All Star has nothing to do with deserve, he was voted in by the fans because that's the criteria for making the team. Deserve has nothing to do with it.

It's really quite a simple concept: a 2016 Racing Game of the Year round-up should include games released in 2016. Was Assetto Corsa released on PC in 2016? It's either yes or no.

Of course, Red Bull didn't specify that it was only looking at the console versions. Not that the distinction seems to matter for some folks, as we know.

You don't speak for everybody, so please don't frame personal opinions as facts.

It's really quite a simple concept: a 2016 Racing Game of the Year round-up should include games released in 2016. Was Assetto Corsa released on PC in 2016? It's either yes or no.
Pretty sure you realise too that early access does not equal a full release, so that argument is still not valid.

1st: 2014
2nd: 2015
3rd-10th: 2016

That's how I would rank the last few years in general too. Good to see AC winning. 👍

Pretty sure you realise too that early access does not equal a full release, so that argument is still not valid.

If I'm not mistaken, Assetto Corsa left early access in December of 2014 so I think that would be considered its "full release."

Very funny to read that Forza would be considered a new game because people would have to pay again when really it is the same game with a different number ( and a few changes) when the same happened to AC except we are not up to AC 3 and we do not have to buy it again with every major update, all we can do on a volontary basis is purchase a DLC to support Kunos and of course vote if a poll is setup to ask us which one we think is the best.
Some of you here are incredible, coming to the AC thread telling us the SIM we like is not worthy of our appreciation.
This is almost Christmas time, lighten up and enjoy!

Seems like what you meant to say was racing sims, not racing games. Trackmania Turbo isn't much of a racing sim, but it's a damn fine racing game. :)

Seems like what you meant to say was racing sims, not racing games. Trackmania Turbo isn't much of a racing sim, but it's a damn fine racing game. :)
True this award doesn't focus on 'sim' but 'game'. It's a competition decided on votes though so us AC fans have probably been the most dedicated in visiting that site to register one.

Haven't played FH3, but I did play F12016 and Dirt and either of them could take the cake, as they are all great racing games in their respective areas. All 4 of them should be in your collection really.

Game of the year for me was DiRT Rally. Assetto Corsa has the potential to be a very good console racing game in 2017, the problem is I'm not sure Kunos have the desire (they don't have huge resources but that's not the main issue imo) to make it happen for console users.
I asked this in another thread, but why is Dirt Rally more deserving or more complete than Seb Loeb Rally? SLR has a far better car list and doesn't regurgitate stages as far as I'm aware? Why does Dirt Rally deserve game of the year over a circuit racer or whatever when the task is much simpler? Imagine a circuit version of Dirt Rally. Few cars, sections of Nurbergring Nordschliefe taken and mixed mashed then counted as another track, online limited to 3 locations with a couple track variations. How is that game of the year?

P.S i love Dirt Rally and recommended it to many people but point still stands, why is it more complete than SLR.

So apparently it isn't a simple concept for some.

Again: did Assetto Corsa on PC release in 2016? It's a yes or no. I've never once mentioned early access. I'm talking V1.00.

Very funny to read that Forza would be considered a new game because people would have to pay again when really it is the same game with a different number ( and a few changes) when the same happened to AC except we are not up to AC 3 and we do not have to buy it again with every major update, all we can do on a volontary basis is purchase a DLC to support Kunos and of course vote if a poll is setup to ask us which one we think is the best.

Yep, FH2 and FH3 are the same game with only a few changes.

:rolleyes:

I can't wait to hear about how that isn't the case when AC2 inevitably shows up.

Some of you here are incredible, coming to the AC thread telling us the SIM we like is not worthy of our appreciation.

You may want to re-read the thread, since nobody has said that.

I'd expect this sort of blinkered defense in the GT section. Thought the PC crowd were above it.

How can you say AC on console is a good game ?
So many missing features to be the best racing game this year. TBH, the focus on sim racing is killing the racing genre. I don't expect from Forza or GT to be the greatest simulators but simply good games to play when back at home. FH3 is a complete game : career mode, online mode, features, soundtrack, cars...
I think this poll is not reprensatative of the console players with only a minority playing with a racing wheel to enjoy AC.

Back