Aston Martin DBS Superleggera

Antarctica
TRAPPIST-1g
ProjectWHaT

upload_2018-4-17_19-29-55.png

http://www.astonmartin.com/en/live/...ic-name-for-the-ultimate-flagship-dbs-is-back

Aston Martin has today announced the re-birth of an iconic name. A distinctive moniker, set to be proudly worn once again by the British marque’s flagship Super GT.

The DBS Superleggera completes the brand’s ambitions to replace each of its existing two-door sportscar models as part of its Second Century Plan. Sitting at the pinnacle of the sportscar line-up, DBS Superleggera will feature the highest levels of performance, craftmanship and design.

Further details on Aston Martin’s highly-anticipated super GT will be revealed in the second quarter of 2018.

They better not botch this up, especially the styling, ‘cause it’s got huge shoes to fill. The last car carrying the ‘DBS’ moniker managed to become my favourite car of all time, and cemented AM’s place as the manufacturer of the most beautiful cars ever in my heart. And it was competing against the likes of the 458 Italia and LFA.

Looking forward to how it’ll look like.

Will the Superleggera be superleggera though? If it's a 1700 kg+ car it's a bit of a joke really.

Technically 'Superleggera' is a construction method which results in or resulted in cars that were lighter than cars produced with other methods. It's not really used any more as it's it's old 40's/50's tech. I imagine the DBS will be a touch lighter then the regular DB11, but as a token gesture towards using that badge.

I imagine the DBS will be a touch lighter then the regular DB11, but as a token gesture towards using that badge.
OK, so more of a marketing stunt than a joke then.

As there seems to be no involvement from Carrozzeria Touring Superleggera and I assume they're not actually using the Superleggera method I think I can justifiably hold their feet to the flame a little bit by using the literal translation of the word superleggera - super light.

A V12 DB11 weighs around 1,900kg... but doesn't 'feel' it behind the wheel.

I doubt this is going to be a GT3 competitor... I reckon c.50kg lighter for the DBS SL :lol:

A V12 DB11 weighs around 1,900kg... but doesn't 'feel' it behind the wheel.

I doubt this is going to be a GT3 competitor... I reckon c.50kg lighter for the DBS SL :lol:
They already have the Vantage GTE anyway.

.... and £10,000 more expensive, making the DBS a GT3 competitor, money wise.

:D

Superleggera; an Italian word/name/description on a British car doesn't seem right. Right?

Superleggera; an Italian word/name/description on a British car doesn't seem right. Right?
GTPlanet's article on the car that this is the comments thread for
It seems less obvious that a British car would wear a famous Italian name like Superleggera. It’s worth remembering though that this isn’t the first Aston Martin Superleggera model. The name, meaning “lightweight” (or literally “superlight”), refers to a production method pioneered by Carrozzeria Touring Superleggera. It first appeared on an Aston Martin in 1958, with the DB4. Aston kept the name for DB5 and DB6 models too.

So it looks like a DB11 with added bits here and there and a bigger grille. There goes my hopes of it looking very different. :rolleyes:

.... and £10,000 more expensive, making the DBS a GT3 competitor, money wise.

:D

In the uk at least,the Aston is on an entirely different price level. Gt3 is c.£140k, my brother in laws DB11 was >£180k.

This will be £200ish.

Latest Posts

Back