Aston Martin DBX

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1028883_2020-aston-martin-dbx-spy-shots

2020-aston-martin-dbx-spy-shots--image-via-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100697989_h.jpg

2020-aston-martin-dbx-spy-shots--image-via-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100697991_h.jpg

2020-aston-martin-dbx-spy-shots--image-via-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100697993_h.jpg

2020-aston-martin-dbx-spy-shots--image-via-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100697983_h.jpg

2020-aston-martin-dbx-spy-shots--image-via-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100697984_h.jpg

2020-aston-martin-dbx-spy-shots--image-via-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100697985_h.jpg

This will probably end up being Aston Martin's biggest seller. I'm not sot sold on the looks, at least from what I can make of it under the comoflage, which is unusual for an Aston. I don't like curvy 4x4's in general, nothing beats the Velar for looks in that vehicle category IMO.

This Aston Martin SUV looks like it's ready to eat alive anything or anyone in its path. If you want to call the outlining of the front grill as "lipstick," I doubt I'd want to kiss or be kissed by this thing! Not as sleek as a lot of Aston Martin models, but I do find quite a cool factor in its design.

Saw it in camouflage on the Goodwood Hill Climb yesterday. It was in the First Glance group which was most memorable for the little electric Honda which was oddly getting the most attention from the crowd where I was...

Sounded ok when it went past me at the main bridge but not great. Not much "life" in the sound at all. But it didn't seem to be revving much at that point which might have been the reason.

Looks wise - nothing to add to the posts above really.

I'm not sure what to think about it. I feel like it amplifies the unique, gorgeous styling cues Aston Martin has created for its others cars to a point where they look a little out of place on a SUV body, imo.

The first SUV that is genuinely attractive and not just attractive for what it is. The only Aston I'd currently want to own.

Aside from the ducktail that looks a little out of place, it actually appears to work quite well as a sporting SUV. They've managed, like Porsche has with the most recent Cayenne and Macan, to make it look quite sportscarish rather than a generic SUV shape plastered with styling clues from their actual sports cars. The interior looks gorgeous too, unlike the trying-too-hard spangly abomination that is the Urus interior.

Not surprisingly, it's a great deal more attractive than what the camouflage was suggesting, and like it seems to be for others, the only exterior element that's unappealing to me is the ducktail; it's as if they're worried people won't realize it's an Aston.

The interior is gorgeous--particularly those vents and their control knobs--but the extra "skin folds" flanking the shift buttons are...strange.

Screenshot_20191120-024605.png

My work is down the road from JLR HQ @ Gaydon so I see this all the time. It looks horrible in person. Not a fan of it.

Not sure if the front grille works - it looks fine from some angles and hideously proportioned from others. I don't think the vents on either side help, either.

Still find it difficult to fathom the idea of an Aston SUV, but the engine specs sound impressive.

Not surprisingly, it's a great deal more attractive than what the camouflage was suggesting, and like it seems to be for others, the only exterior element that's unappealing to me is the ducktail; it's as if they're worried people won't realize it's an Aston.

The interior is gorgeous--particularly those vents and their control knobs--but the extra "skin folds" flanking the shift buttons are...strange.

View attachment 867271

Yeah, they look like they got a bit too much leather on those dash panels and decided to turn it into a feature.

I'm not sure what to think about it. I feel like it amplifies the unique, gorgeous styling cues Aston Martin has created for its others cars to a point where they look a little out of place on a SUV body, imo.

I agree, the lines of the Aston Martin suit the low, powerful profile of the "normal" car. Doesn't expand upwards very gracefully, looks like the proportions of a kid's ride-in electric toy. I'm not a fan.

In a way, the Aston Martin's design style is rather fitting for an SUV. To me up front, I think the DBX is rather handsome. The side profile is pretty nice also. While I don't hate the rear of the DBX, it doesn't seem to match the aggressive elegance up front. I would have probably given the rear something more like the DB9 at the rear. Its interior is pretty nice. So I strangely like this machine. Only modern Aston Martin I haven't liked is that Lagonda. Otherwise, AM makes some excellent designs, including this DBX.

I think it a decent looking car considering, not sure why they went the Vantage style lights as they look better on a low slung sport car than on a 4x4 SUV shape. Also it is better looking that some ugly "dog like" SUV's - Cayenne Coupe, Mbenz GLC Coupe, BMW X4 or X6 M etc. Another critique is the ugly steering wheel design, the gear paddles are nice looking but the wheel not so much. Wish it was slightly squarer or a bit more three spoke with sharper lines, why do british car companies recycle bad steering wheel designs?

Now if only I could afford this ASTON Martin, I would have this and a DBS Superleggara and some fries please. :D

Aston Martin DBX707

1643732518255.png

1643732527426.png

1643732537836.png

That's where you'll find a familiar 4.0-liter V8 engine, but it's massaged to generate no less than 697 horsepower (707 metric horsepower, hence the 707 designation) and 663 pound-feet (900 Newton-meters) of torque. To make that happen, Aston Martin fitted a new pair of ball-bearing turbochargers along with a new engine calibration to make the most of the added boost. More air coming in requires better piping to get it out, so the DBX707 gains a completely new quad-exit active exhaust system that flows better while also giving occupants some delectable V8 noise when so desired.

[There's] a new nine-speed wet-clutch gearbox with automatic and manual modes that allows for quicker shifts. An updated version of the rear e-diff is stronger, and it boasts a shorter 3:27 final drive for better acceleration. The all-wheel-drive system is still an automatic affair, sending power front or rear wherever it's needed most, but calibration of the e-diff aids in cornering.

The chassis has additional reinforcement, and the air suspension gets revised dampers and springs for less body roll. That works in conjunction with updates to the Electronic Active Roll Control (eARC) system to further button down wayward DBX movements. An updated electronic steering system adds weight to the steering wheel, and when it's time to stop, carbon-ceramic disc brakes measuring 16.5 inches in front and 15.4 inches at back are clamped by six-piston calipers. They sit behind standard-issue 22-inch wheels, with 23-inchers optional.

Speaking to reporters, Aston Martin CEO Tobias Moers reckoned the DBX707 is the only performance SUV that can do a proper high-rev launch. With "Race Start" mode shoving the SUV forward from 4,000 RPM, 60 mph arrives in 3.1 seconds. Keep the throttle pinned and the DBX707 will reach 193 mph.

[...]

As you'd expect, power and prestige at this level don't come without a cost. Prices for the DBX707 start at $232,000 and that doesn't include destination fees. Aston Martin says production begins in the first quarter of 2022, with initial customer deliveries following in the second quarter.

Last edited:
I hate it.

Aston Martin has a terrible habit of taking legitmately beautiful cars and turning them into massive, heavy, ugly monstrosities when they put a bigger engine in it and this is now exception. They've added vertical graphics to the design which make the car look taller, they've added skirts that actually look like skirts hanging down, the whole thing just looks girthier and less athletic. Ugh. As usual with Aston Martin, the original iteration is the cleanest and classiest.

It's an interesting vehicle. It kinda reaches for the "I only need 1 car" bar.

Road Trip? Yes.
Offroad/Bad Conditions? Yes.
Hauling stuff? Yes.
Hauling people? Yes.
Back roads? Yes.
Refined back seat ride? Yes.
Towing? No.

So close.

I like swiss army knife cars. They free up space in the garage for sports cars. This particular car ticks a lot of boxes, but it doesn't really free up any additional space in the garage compared to some of the great all-rounders that are out there or are coming imminently. Being a swiss army knife is something of an odd selling point at $200k too, since the person you're selling it to probably has the means for other vehicles and a place to put them.

At the moment, I have 3 classes of vehicle. Roadtrip/people haulers (this is my van), daily (this is my SUV), and sports cars. I can't really see the aston displacing my van for road trips. It's too small (not enough seats), and highway travel is a bit wasted on a vehicle like that. I'd just take my sienna. As a daily, it would be great, but it would be better if it were an EV - like the forthcoming Macan or the Taycan Cross Turismo. As a sports car, it's totally wrong, that's what the rest of Aston's lineup is for.

So for me, the Achilles heel of this particular car is the engine. I'd like it to be an EV. Instant torque, forget the 9 speed gearbox, forget fluids, potentially more storage, forget the gas station, saves the planet, can go long periods without use, convenience like pre-warming/cooling, and potentially for some select EVs these days - power your house.

If you have a smaller family than mine, and have no need of towing capacity, it could displace the largest vehicle and it would need the gasoline engine to do so at the moment.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back