Aston Martin Rapide S

Beeblebrox237

Two heads, no brains...
Premium
United Kingdom
Betelgeuse
Beeblebrox_237
AstonMartin have introduced a new version of the gorgeous Rapide saloon called the Rapide S. It has 555 bhp, 457 lb-ft of torque, and adjustable dampers, among other things. But lets not forget the biggest change: The grille.

670x377Image.jpg

670x377Image.jpg

Here's the back:
670x377Image.jpg

Link.

Still pretty, I think, but the grille has to go. If I bought one, I'd have someone make me a custom front end. The rest is all good.

I quite like the front. It reminds me of the Zagato variants of the Astons, such as the DB7. The cosmetics look very nice in my eyes. I just wonder if it's practical.

I can't be the only one who doesn't like the styling of the car. I think what they've done is they've taken the design of the DB9, which many people agree is a good looking car (myself included), and then tried to build a four-door out of it, and it just doesn't work. It's like the 458 and the FF, and the 911 and the Panamera.

No.

That grill is horrible.

It looks like a fish.

I still want one.

EDIT: I agree with you, Penguin. I'd still take one if given one, but I'd probably go for a Quattroporte or something to buy personally.

Indeed. That grill is a lot more Zagato-esque and more my cup of tea than the current version, which I thought looked rather humdrum with the split grill.

Merging the two turned out nicely I think.

"Extra Extra! Ford copies design from Aston Martin!"

A few months later: "Big news-Aston Martin resembles Ford"

Looks like Peugeot is headed in the right direction, they still need to get rid of that grille.

Oh this is an Aston Martin?

I find the Top Gear fanboyism in this thread disheartening.

I always thought the original front end was dull. Whereas the Rapide S has a grill that happens to bear some resemblance to that of the new Mondeo.

I don't see how such a comparison is such a bad thing really, since the Mondeo is hardly an ugly beast in my eyes. I think the Zagato in it outweighs the Mondeo by a considerable margin anyway, as the Mondeo didn't come to mind until someone pointed it out.

I have a soft spot for Zagatos though... which is why I like this one.

This is the only reason I like it too.

It looks alitte nice cause it has that Zagato look but the grill does not flow with the rest of the design of the car. Making it look ugly and weird also makes it look bloated .

Noo! It looks like a gaping catfish mouth now!
Actually, it now looks like Richard Hammond....

Gah. I hate the new front grille they've gone with. I'll gladly take the previous gen DB9/S and Rapide now too.

At least the Vantage has remained unmolested...

aston_martin_rapide_2009_silver_front_view_asphalt_30358_2048x1536.jpg

Ah, thats better.

Never preferred the V12 Zagato's styling over the 'normal' V12 Vantage, so no, I don't think that this new Rapide looks better than the original Rapide.

The grille (and the carbon bits around the tailights) ruined the car IMO.

I think I like the picture provided for the new one more. That said, I don't really care for either; ford using that same grill pattern on the new Taurus (I suppose it's the Taurus) and my day to day exposure to the design leave me feeling like it's very pedestrian and far too common for use on the front end of an Aston Martin.
This looks like a very conservative move towards the styling trend started by the gtr and evo.

With more time looking at the picture I'm willing to say this change in the front-end moves the styling back closer to the AM emblem (I think it's a set of wings), without the bumper panel to separate the grill the up-swing of the wings is better symbolized.

I like the new fascia more. 👍

It's just the lack of number plate making it look huge. Somebody photoshop a number/license plate and it won't look anywhere near as bad.

How did I know it was going to look rubbish when I saw the word 'Bertone'?

I actually don't mind it, not really keen on the massive grill, (but i suppose the number plate offers a slight degree of separation to help break it up). I think Bertone, haven't done too bad a job.

I don't think the shooting-brake design suits it. They could have at least smoothed out the lip spoiler on the back, but I'm not sure it would help much.

Back