At what point would this example be illegal under false advertising laws?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mattv81
  • 31 comments
  • 2,535 views
Status
Not open for further replies.
Messages
426
All the Premium Lexus SC430, Honda NSX, Chevrolet Impala, and Nissan GT-R are all basically the same cars, with identical stats, but counted as separate cars because they are painted differently. They obviously did this so they could say there are more premium cars in the game. Personally I think this is shocking behavior, and may even be illegal under false advertising laws. If this is legal, then surely it would also be legal to count each colour X1 as a separate car, and same with all the other cars, and then claim that there are 1000's of premium cars in the game. It would obviously be illegal. I feel PD are on dodgy legal ground here.
 
If you saw two of those cars in real life how many cars would you see? Two.

Same goes for GT5, although in real life the cars would be different slightly.
 
If you saw two of those cars in real life how many cars would you see? Two.

Same goes for GT5, although in real life the cars would be different slightly.

If I saw two identical cars in real life, then I would see two cars. Whats your point?
 
All the Premium Lexus SC430, Honda NSX, Chevrolet Impala, and Nissan GT-R are all basically the same cars, with identical stats, but counted as separate cars because they are painted differently.

If you have take the same amount of time in actually testing those cars instead of playing smart you'd realize there is a difference among them.

I don't know about your skills and are you able to drive consecutive laps, but here is my suggestion to you:

Take all those "same" LexusSC430's on High Speed Ring and run them on default settings (no oil change, default tyres, default setup) for 10 laps. Of course, prerequisite for such testing is that your driving skills are competent enough to cope with the 95% of car performance on particular track.

Than record every replay and note stats from RealTime screen. Also notice about differences in suspension, gearing and handling.

Than come back and tell us about your conclusions.

Thanx in advance.
 
Well if you saw two Ford Focus' that came out of the same factory yes, they're two identical cars.

But these are race cars, built and run by different teams. They're two different cars. They have the same stats because they conform to the race series specification they're for, but they perform differently.
 
If you have take the same amount of time in actually testing those cars instead of playing smart you'd realize there is a difference among them.

I don't know about your skills and are you able to drive consecutive laps, but here is my suggestion to you:

Take all those "same" LexusSC430's on High Speed Ring and run them on default settings (no oil change, default tyres, default setup) for 10 laps. Of course, prerequisite for such testing is that your driving skills are competent enough to cope with the 95% of car performance on particular track.

Than record every replay and note stats from RealTime screen. Also notice about differences in suspension, gearing and handling.

Than come back and tell us about your conclusions.

Thanx in advance.

I've pretty much already done that. I played split screen with my mate in two of those cars, and they were EXACTLY the same speed.
 
Actually, PD/Sony haven't breached any advertising laws (in the UK at least). They advertise the game as having 1000+ cars, and it does. It doesn't say anywhere on the box "1000+ unique cars". Theoretically, they could have just included 1000+ variants of Skyline or Corvette and they wouldn't have breached advertising laws.
 
Actually, PD/Sony haven't breached any advertising laws (in the UK at least). They advertise the game as having 1000+ cars, and it does. It doesn't say anywhere on the box "1000+ unique cars". Theoretically, they could've have just included 1000+ variants of Skyline or Corvette and they wouldn't have breached advertising laws.

Yeah, but the examples I cited aren't variants. They are identical cars but with different paint.
 
All the Premium Lexus SC430, Honda NSX, Chevrolet Impala, and Nissan GT-R are all basically the same cars, with identical stats, but counted as separate cars because they are painted differently. They obviously did this so they could say there are more premium cars in the game. Personally I think this is shocking behavior, and may even be illegal under false advertising laws. If this is legal, then surely it would also be legal to count each colour X1 as a separate car, and same with all the other cars, and then claim that there are 1000's of premium cars in the game. It would obviously be illegal. I feel PD are on dodgy legal ground here.

I think they can decide what content they put in the game, They aren't selling you cars, they are selling a game!
 
All the Premium Lexus SC430, Honda NSX, Chevrolet Impala, and Nissan GT-R are all basically the same cars, with identical stats, but counted as separate cars because they are painted differently. They obviously did this so they could say there are more premium cars in the game. Personally I think this is shocking behavior, and may even be illegal under false advertising laws. If this is legal, then surely it would also be legal to count each colour X1 as a separate car, and same with all the other cars, and then claim that there are 1000's of premium cars in the game. It would obviously be illegal. I feel PD are on dodgy legal ground here.

Look closer at the cars. There's actually small differences between them.

For example the NSX race cars, the ARTA and the green one (takata?) are actually faster, and there's small differences in their performance and handling.

The same goes for the GT-R race cars. Some even run with a weight penalty I think (50kg), and despite that they're still competitive. Again, there's small differences in the handling and acceleration, weight distribution, etc.

Not too sure about the Lexii (Lexuses?). Got the Petronas TOMS 430, like the look but not the drive so I never bothered with the rest (uglier versions if you ask me). But again there's probably small differences.


There might not me much in it, but you're implying there's so little in it that neither team would mind if you swapped out their cars between them.



The ratings may just be there to keep those teams happy. If you saw that one of the GT-R teams had a 10hp advantage or something and you were from another team, you'd be angry because you know that not as many people would use your car.

But since the people who know about (SuperGT) know that such and such team is faster, or hve their favorite car/driver, then they're not going to buy based on the numbers, like a large amount probably would.


As fas as I know, they're not counting each 'colour' of the X1 (or any premium car) as a different car. The F10's are in fact counted as the same car, despite Alonso's being obviously the better car
oh_snap.gif

The Carbon X1 for instance, has different performance, I think it's a bit faster than the others?

The closest thing you'd get is the Audi R8 and the R8 V10. One COULD almost argue that the V10 is an option, but it's closer to a trim package or similar, like the difference between a v6 mustang convertible (girls car) and a V8 Mustang GT (bearded girls car).
 
I think they can decide what content they put in the game, They aren't selling you cars, they are selling a game!

:rolleyes: I think you're intentionally missing the point.
 
I've pretty much already done that. I played split screen with my mate in two of those cars, and they were EXACTLY the same speed.

If you are talking about the GT300 cars, then like someone else said, they are different teams so they count as different cars. Also if you look at the legal definition of false advertising:

"means of advertisement other than labeling, which is misleading in a material respect; and in determining whether an advertisement is misleading, there shall be taken into account (among other things) not only representations made or suggested by statement, word, design, device, sound, or any combination thereof, but also the extent to which the advertisement fails to reveal facts material in the light of such representations or material with respect to consequences which may result from the use of the commodity to which the advertisement relates under the conditions prescribed in said advertisement, or under such conditions as are customary or usual."

1 Polyphony Digital has the full car list on their website, and at no point did they try to hide that.

2 What is the personal harm done from buying GT5?
 
Yeah, but the examples I cited aren't variants. They are identical cars but with different paint.

i cant beleive what im reading. first of all, read up on law, you dont sound like you really get the idea here.

second, they may have similar stats, but they're different cars. and "painted the same"?? are you really that thick headed? so what, they're paint is the same color? cause last time i looked PD went the full extent and modeled the cars prefectly. and if you mean the seperate teams car that are painted different, i dont know why you would expect them to be different. im assuming that rather hilariously you mean it's the same car graphically modeled differently when you say painted differently.

quit complaining, they are similar cars, performance wise. or obviously PD wouldnt have made them so similar.
 
Last edited:
People on this forum are so abusive sometimes.
 
They have different names there for classed as different cars in my view.
 
When you're talking about cars that are part of a race series, they will be very similar becasue those cars are all built to the specs of the league.

Take the GT500 cars for instance ... all of the 49X hp Lexus/GTR/NSX/etc. They are all built to Super GT, GT500 class specifications, so yes ... they will all be very similar. If they weren't, then they would be outclassed and crappy race cars, or they would be illegally built to be faster/lighter. The same goes for NASCAR ...

Basically, all race cars are built for a specific race class. That class limits what can be done to the cars. All cars in the class, if they want to have a chance of winning, will be built to the max specs allowed in all categories.

EDIT :: And guys, I think his complaint may be worded a little weird. What he's saying is that there are like 5 NASCAR Impalas that are exactly the same, spec wise, just with different liveries. Therefore, he feels that they should not be counted as separate cars. He's not saying that the GTR, Impala and NSX are all the same car, but there are multiples of each.

On that note, the different Impalas, etc are different cars in real life. If you go to a NASCAR race, you will see them. It doesn't matter how close the specs are. The same with the GT500 cars. But, in GT500 the cars would be slightly different ... at least more different than NASCAR as the teams have a little more room to work within the rules.
 
People on this forum are so abusive sometimes.

if you dont want abusive comments think logically before posting silly things like this.
 
All the Premium Lexus SC430, Honda NSX, Chevrolet Impala, and Nissan GT-R are all basically the same cars, with identical stats, but counted as separate cars because they are painted differently. They obviously did this so they could say there are more premium cars in the game. Personally I think this is shocking behavior, and may even be illegal under false advertising laws. If this is legal, then surely it would also be legal to count each colour X1 as a separate car, and same with all the other cars, and then claim that there are 1000's of premium cars in the game. It would obviously be illegal. I feel PD are on dodgy legal ground here.

I have never seen a game attract this type of attention before.

Either this a trolling thread, or you seriously need to improve your reading comprehension.:ouch:
 
A 1000 cars? they must be joking - they are all the same car - they all have 4 wheels :dopey:

kidding

Im very sorry I shouldnt have posted in this useless thread...
 
All the Premium Lexus SC430, Honda NSX, Chevrolet Impala, and Nissan GT-R are all basically the same cars, with identical stats, but counted as separate cars because they are painted differently. They obviously did this so they could say there are more premium cars in the game. Personally I think this is shocking behavior, and may even be illegal under false advertising laws. If this is legal, then surely it would also be legal to count each colour X1 as a separate car, and same with all the other cars, and then claim that there are 1000's of premium cars in the game. It would obviously be illegal. I feel PD are on dodgy legal ground here.

So what if it is illegal? Are you going to hire an attorney and sue? If so, for what damages?

Go get some pricing on what it will cost you to hire an attorney to take on this "case". Good luck even finding a competent attorney who will agree there is an actual case here AND the potential to win it.

Let me save you some time - first go read the case the game came in. I don't have it nearby to read right now - but I'm sure somewhere you will find some "features subject to change" type verbiage. Case closed.

There are many things that are "illegal" or people could sue you over - but a lot of those things stop being such an issue when people find out that attorneys are expensive and it is going to cost them $500 in legal fees to prove a point over a $60 purchase.
 
I really can't believe what I'm reading. How can so many morons be in the same place at the same time? Thread unsubscribed.
 
All the Premium Lexus SC430, Honda NSX, Chevrolet Impala, and Nissan GT-R are all basically the same cars, with identical stats, but counted as separate cars because they are painted differently. They obviously did this so they could say there are more premium cars in the game. Personally I think this is shocking behavior, and may even be illegal under false advertising laws. If this is legal, then surely it would also be legal to count each colour X1 as a separate car, and same with all the other cars, and then claim that there are 1000's of premium cars in the game. It would obviously be illegal. I feel PD are on dodgy legal ground here.

SC430 Super GTs have very diferent aerodinamic parts since different teams research for different aerodynamic solutions.

2060818.004.1M.jpg


2612102405_30b42a7491.jpg


Look at the rear bumber and compare. Those variations are reflected in game.

Also Epson NSX has ballast added, so it weights 50kg more than the rest of the 3 Super GT NSX, and if you look close enough, you'll find minor differences that make each car unique.
 
^ exactly. Different teams in Super GT will have minor differences that work within the rules, but the specs will still be VERY close. PD may have even used the same physics on them ... but they are still different cars in the real world.
 
To the casual viewer, the cars may look the same, but they are technically different. Therefore, no laws have been broken.
 
I can confirm that all the race cars are not modeled the same on top of being textured differently, I have 2 Nascars and the interior is vastly different in them, granted one of them was a gamestop preorder. but I see 0 reason for them to not just do a texture swap for the preorder car as well if the modeling on each of them was the same.

I really can't believe what I'm reading. How can so many morons be in the same place at the same time? Thread unsubscribed.

Danm he showed us :(
 
I really can't believe what I'm reading. How can so many morons be in the same place at the same time? Thread unsubscribed.

trolls read?
 
I really can't believe what I'm reading. How can so many morons be in the same place at the same time? Thread unsubscribed.

u-mad1.jpg
 
How can so many morons be in the same place at the same time?

So, let me get this straight:

- you create the thread claiming something
- then community come and say your claims are not accurate
- you disapprove their opinion
- more community come and say your claim is not valid
- you call community a morons

101606sly_claps.jpg
 
All the Premium Lexus SC430, Honda NSX, Chevrolet Impala, and Nissan GT-R are all basically the same cars, with identical stats, but counted as separate cars because they are painted differently. They obviously did this so they could say there are more premium cars in the game. Personally I think this is shocking behavior, and may even be illegal under false advertising laws. If this is legal, then surely it would also be legal to count each colour X1 as a separate car, and same with all the other cars, and then claim that there are 1000's of premium cars in the game. It would obviously be illegal. I feel PD are on dodgy legal ground here.
Brilliant idea!! Let's spend thousands on an attorney so we can get a fraction of our $60 back.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back