Atmosphere in Gran Turismo

• Thread starter alex511
  • 71 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Germany
Germany
The guys of Forza Never will get the atmosphere of Gran Turismo in their Games. They don‘t Unterstand the Meaning of the roundabout of a Game like the menu. They can bring thousands of Features in their Games, but when i game them, i only feel like in a game. When i game Gran Turismo, i feeling like comming home, espcially the menu. Thats the difference and makes GT unic. Look at the focus on GT7 menu, simple brillant.

okay.gif

Agreed, GT's menu designs since 4 have been always classy and elegant with Charming music... it helps the game's aesthetic effortlessly.

Last edited:
I would agree largely. Gran Turismo is Gran Turismo. Even though many of us dont like GT Sport you have to admit there's that huge splash of Polyphony Digital magic all thru it (good and bad).

I admit I was blown away by what I seeing and hearing cum Xmas 2017. And that was just the menu, the scapes and the "Kaz'ness" of what this first experience was like.

I have also been playing Forza MS and Horizon since day one... since Bill Gates said it was his favourite game.

And Forza has its highlights too. For me its not quite as strong as Gran Turismo but I cant say I'm not massively fond of Horizon 1... FM2, FM4, FM6... less said about the odd numbers the better.

People just want that GT4 classic megaton back in GT7 that's all.

Last edited:
UI/UX design and Isamu Ohira's menu music are a huge part of it.
GT4s upscale department store vibe gets a lot of praise, but 1/2 and 3 had beautifully well designed menus too, with 2 having a bold, black road map aesthetic, and the monochrome car dealership shots look like they came straight from the back of a magazine. The different musical themes for each city are excellent too.
The GT3 style is that of exciting, new technology. Sharp, simple diagrams on buttons, video everywhere, upbeat music, instantaneous loading (or a few flashes of a white square), chunky orange text.

5 Prologue through Sport have opted for white text on elegant black backgrounds, hundreds of small buttons and jazz. I'd prefer new versions of the old music but 'In the black of night' is very catchy.

If GT7 is looking to the past, present and future, I'd hope for a menu incorporating things from 2-4 (already starting to see a bit of that in the reveal trailer), and dedicated music for different sections, fingers crossed for returning relaxing garage themes. And I hope it isn't afraid to throw some orange around! Not all buttons and text have to be plain black or white.

Last edited:
Forza Motorsport 6 menus were quite atmospheric, yet lifeless and cold. GT interfaces always offered a classier and warmer experience. It’s that Japanese charm they cannot replicate in Seattle.

Last edited:
Couldn‘t agree more with that first post.

I myself just switched over from Forza to GT a month ago.

Originally started gaming with GT1/2/3/4 but left after the long wait for 5 and stayed with Forza since FM4 launched.

At first I was worried about the track/car list, especially on the back of FH4’s huge expansions with their series updates but I have to admit I am staggered at just how good even GTS is.

The menu, the overall feel of the game, it is so much more than just a game. It is a love letter to all things cars and so much more than that. The detailed info on each vehicle, Brand Central, Museums, Scapes, even the history timeline are absolutely superb and make playing GTS so much more fulfilling than Forza. You actually get to learn facts, specs and history on cars and world events.

The race HUD as well, with detailed sector intervals, gaps, and the multi function menu to alter brake bias/TCS etc is also fantastic.

FM just feels like a very good product designed to sell millions but ultimately does injustice to its magnificent car list by chucking all the cars together without any info or specs on them. I certainly don’t miss it. GT on the other hand feels like a game but together with an OCD-like passion to create the best possible game for car enthusiasts, it kinda reminds me of original Pokemon in the sense there is a brilliant sense of deep care behind every aspect of the game. Music, infographics, track maps, everything is drawn and designed beautifully.

The only game I miss is of course Horizon, it is so much fun to just take the wheel out and cruise through listening to the radio in an open world setting but as far as circuit racing goes, GT is by far way superior.

I just hope that more cars will get added, it is a shame that you can only drive the latest cars (Divo, Speedtail, Pista, Huracan Performante etc) on Forza. Hopefully GT7 will address this.

Can we just agree that GT's presentation is just close to perfection?

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue was probably the best in that regard, but that doesn't necessarily mean the other titles aren't great! I only have trouble with the UX management, but I don't really mind about it, how it looks and how it sounds is great and makes me forget - I know some of you who aren't fond of the UX and doesn't care if the UI looks great! speaking of sounds, asides from the soundtrack, you guys are forgetting those lovely UI sounds. I also love how GT hasn't abandoned the cursor for selecting things, like if it were a PC, It's just part of Gran Turismo culture.

Atmosphere is fine, but on track experience is lonely.
Prostreet in my opinion had the best prerace track atmosphere ever in a racing game IMO. That game made it feel like you were at a real event.

I think the word you're looking for is ambience. Most of the GT games have a certain ambience and feel to the UI that you just can't get in other games. Sadly the same cannot be said for the tracks.

I think the word you're looking for is ambience. Most of the GT games have a certain ambience and feel to the UI that you just can't get in other games. Sadly the same cannot be said for the tracks.
You didn't like pnau baby?

Some companies put time into glossy menus, others put time into the offline racing experience.

Nothing a plane flying overhead every 30 seconds wont fix

Last edited:
Some companies put time into glossy menus, others put time into the offline racing experience.
Basically this. I really couldn't careless about having fancy menus in games. I'm glad Forza and other games do lack in this regard if it means focusing on more, important things other than having the best menu... lol.

Last edited:
Especially, a track like Bathurst. How the heck can that track not hear the roar of the crowd, each time through Skyline and the front straight?

Many (V8)Supercars drivers recall the loudness of the crowds, during those last few laps.

Anyway, probably noted in a different thread, the in-car sounds need to keep me awake.

The music, the menus, the bizarre car selections are some of the reason why Gran Turismo feels so unique compared to other racing games, GT also has so much history, lores and stuff like that. Kaz is an eccentric dude and it shows in his games. One of my favorite racing games during PS3/360 era was Grid Autosport, it has superior single player campaign than both GT5/6 but other than that there isn't much to talk about that game and I feel that way for most racing games I've played. I keep going back to GT despite its flaws.

Forza lacks both: menus and ingame atmosphere

I admit Forza 7 is not the best in the series, but not even I would go down the lengths to criticize other games for lacking things unimportant to me, such as having the "best" menu/interface.

Not quite sure what you're trying get at here bud, but keep me out of it.

Last edited:
Basically this. I really couldn't careless about having fancy menus in games. I'm glad Forza and other games do lack in this regard if it means focusing on more, important things other than having the best menu... lol.
Too bad Forza lacks quite a bit in the most important thing which is driving physics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back