Attendance drop and moving forward

• Thread starter Neutty
  • 38 comments
United States
Gardner, KS
It’s no lie that many have been disappearing from the online servers. We have people switching to iRacing, ACC, and some with life changes. I’ve been trying to figure out how to bring this thread up and this not turn into a cluster of a mess.
To be honest I have been pretty focused on iRacing for the past couple of months, primarily dirt. When I have time, I’ve been on there racing. I think, GTSport for me has lost some spark. Maybe it’s because I feel I have accomplished what it was I wanted from the game.
With that aside, I will/(should) have the PS5 come christmas time. I’m also planning to get back into the swing of things then. But what about the rest of us? Will we have enough follow over to the new game and platform by the first of the year to ramp ARL back up?
I can promise you the BOD hasn’t given up and even though it may not seem like it, each one of us in our own ways have been thinking about the future of ARL. Some of us have had some changes in our lives that has kept us from the game, and others are still here racing each and every week.
You guys have seen @PApunk924 working extremely hard and putting in a ton of work lately, and I thank him for that.
@Ryan Kirk has been helping on Wednesday nights and @Herimopp89 has been working a ton of hours as of late and he’s still putting in as much free time as he can I to the ARL BANNER.

So what’s the best idea moving forward for ARL?

I want to open this up here.

Should we continue to run Sport and limp into GT7?

When would be the ideal time to push ARL into PS5?

How many plan to make the switch and when?

2020 had been a hell of a ride for all of us, let’s try to get 2021 sorted out and give us all something to look forward to.

I had originally planned on ps5 at launch, but i missed out on the 1st and 2nd set of preorders. Now i am also hearing that some of the preorders wont (cant) be honored as there isnt enough units to sell. So id like to say of enough are made id like to get a ps5 as early into 2021 as possible and fully intend on getting gt7. I am also planning on upgrading acc on ps5 (if needed). I will continue to be here and race every event arl holds that i am available for. I will be attending less events tho come probably in a months time. I should be starting a new job that unfortunately will keep me away from home 4 to 5 days at a time for the first yr most likely. But like i just said i will attend and race every event i am home for, and will do so until yall get fed up with me! As long as arl is kicking ill be supporting it!

BlushingFlawlessAmericancicada-size_restricted (1).gif

I had originally planned on ps5 at launch, but i missed out on the 1st and 2nd set of preorders. Now i am also hearing that some of the preorders wont (cant) be honored as there isnt enough units to sell. So id like to say of enough are made id like to get a ps5 as early into 2021 as possible and fully intend on getting gt7. I am also planning on upgrading acc on ps5 (if needed). I will continue to be here and race every event arl holds that i am available for. I will be attending less events tho come probably in a months time. I should be starting a new job that unfortunately will keep me away from home 4 to 5 days at a time for the first yr most likely. But like i just said i will attend and race every event i am home for, and will do so until yall get fed up with me! As long as arl is kicking ill be supporting it!

+1

Thanks to the BOD and all drivers. :cheers:

I'll be on PS5 within Q1 next year, but I'm in no rush. Still rather enjoy GTSport lobbies when they're not bugging. I'm not worried about ARL either. It's just a weird time all-round. End of a console generation, close of the GTSport 3 year window, the virus, the economy. It'll all work out, hopefully sooner than later.

I plan on getting a PS5 when i can afford one. mainly because of GT7 (when they decide it will come out) If ARL decides to stick on the PS4 for a while while more people aquire the PS5 then, then switch. Im ok with that. Ive race with a few leagues. And ARL by far is the best one. GTSport exists the way it does today because of the online racing.

Dont have much to add other than im in no hurry to make the switch to ps5 but will when when ‘the majority’ has made the move. Suffice it to say a weird year, change of seasons, change of consoles looming. I predict it will be well into late/winter early spring before we can all Get our hands on one? Til then there seems to Be a passionate core group of guys - more than enough to keep arl running.

Moving on to the next generation of gaming consoles is always the biggest leap of faith that needs to be well orchestrated, however this would come at a certain level of advantage or disadvantage among several players, in terms of adoption rate (global and within communities) and participation.

As for Neutty's questions on the table, perhaps from my own point of view:
Should we continue to run Sport and limp into GT7?
In this case, GT Sport is slated to be end of life (EOL) pretty soon, given its development cycle gradually slowing down and full steam ahead for GT7. In terms of experience and content, we are uncertain at this point of time. It would be great if an advanced announcement is made should the series be gradually shifting to the new platform once a certain threshold of adoption is met. Of course, a strong emphasis on little-to-zero peer pressure on this, as no one wants to be at a disadvantaged position, or pressured to quickly adapt to the new platform.

When would be the ideal time to push ARL into PS5?
Probably as soon as GT7 is introduced, but this should probably overlap with the existing arrangements on the PS4 so as to give others plenty of time and experience before they take the leap.

How many plan to make the switch and when?
Personally, I'm a very late adopter of the PS4 (I bought this unit back in 2018, five years after release). Currently I do not have plans to switch to the newer hardware, given that I've purchased additional warranty and replacement scheme when I first bought my console. Neither did I sign up for the pre-orders, since I am not keen to adopt the first generation of new hardware until much later. My most possible earliest date of adoption could be somewhere in mid to late 2021, or even 2022, unless my current PS4 dies off in a misfortunate manner and I'm eligible to get an in-place upgrade for replacement due to the former's out of production status.

Lastly, a very big thank you to the ARL team for giving me the opportunity to race with everyone else and improve on my skills and ability. I appreciate the tough effort put in every day, every week to keep not only the series I'm in, but the entire series organized.

I plan on getting the PS5 as soon as you are able to buy them at local stores whenever that will be.

GT7 doesn't really have a set release date so no need to switch to it until the game comes out. Which I will be there for that also.

I will still play on both systems but it also depends on how their new version of cross platform works. For instance, if you can play PS4 games online on the PS5 with others playing on PS4's then then switch would be easy to get the system and then play the games on the PS5 until GT7 comes out. That may not be the case but if Sony does do that then it can make the transition easier for a lot of people.

I will continue to participate on wednesdays and saturdays. Or any other days I have free. The core group is pretty good and strong so that will still work for a long while. Eventually we can all be on the same platform and more people will join. Just need to stick it out, keep working and keep on moving with. Everything can and will work out but only though our own volition.

I'll be making the switch once PS5s are readily in stores. Will also be getting GT7 as soon as it's released. I'm only running Fridays and Saturdays due to the races starting late in the evening East Coast time. I wish I could run more (looking at you GR4 league!!!!) but if I can ever get employed again, those late starts are hard. Honestly...I'll go with the group. If the hot/new game is out on PS5, but we're running GR3s on GTSport, well I'll be on whatever console allows us all together. I know as the new guy, this doesn't mean much, but thought I'd throw it out there that I had no plans in leaving anytime soon as long as I'm still welcome.

I'll be making the switch once PS5s are readily in stores. Will also be getting GT7 as soon as it's released. I'm only running Fridays and Saturdays due to the races starting late in the evening East Coast time. I wish I could run more (looking at you GR4 league!!!!) but if I can ever get employed again, those late starts are hard. Honestly...I'll go with the group. If the hot/new game is out on PS5, but we're running GR3s on GTSport, well I'll be on whatever console allows us all together. I know as the new guy, this doesn't mean much, but thought I'd throw it out there that I had no plans in leaving anytime soon as long as I'm still welcome.

Always, anybody who wants to hang out and race is welcome. Lol

I plan on getting the PS5 as soon as you are able to buy them at local stores whenever that will be.

GT7 doesn't really have a set release date so no need to switch to it until the game comes out. Which I will be there for that also.

I will still play on both systems but it also depends on how their new version of cross platform works. For instance, if you can play PS4 games online on the PS5 with others playing on PS4's then then switch would be easy to get the system and then play the games on the PS5 until GT7 comes out. That may not be the case but if Sony does do that then it can make the transition easier for a lot of people.

I will continue to participate on wednesdays and saturdays. Or any other days I have free. The core group is pretty good and strong so that will still work for a long while. Eventually we can all be on the same platform and more people will join. Just need to stick it out, keep working and keep on moving with. Everything can and will work out but only though our own volition.
I generally wait until 2nd generation of a new console so that the bugs get worked out. The other thing is gt7 doesnt even have a release date. There hasnt even been that much new information lately so its hard to say when it will come out. I havent beeen around much lately but i plan on continuing to race as long as there is a gr4 series or a series like merry miatas.

I am a fairly new addition to ARL, and as such it hasn't lost its intrigue and fun for me, its a great time racing with good people and I've had more fun with this lot than I have in almost any other game, ever.

I will be getting ps5 between December and March most likely, and I'll try to get GT7 when it releases but I can be slow on getting new games. Trying to buy a Fanatec setup too between now and December so its about how much money I can afford to spend and how quickly, but thats all personal **** eh.

I'm cool to play on GTS and ps4 as long as we have a league on here, and maybe do a similar thing to ACC or Iracing where those that have ps5/gt7 know they have a community on there but those on ps4/GTS have friends to play with still? Just a thought.

I don't want this next point to come off as an indictment of the BOD as you guys have done an amazing job, but I have mentioned before that there are some willing to get involved in BOD/organizing/general help, including myself. Maybe deputizing some more members in various areas could help you guys not get so spread thin. I'm not saying it has to be me, but I'm sure there's folks who are willing to help with hosting/stats/organizing etc...

Obviously if theres Iracing and ACC and ps4 and ps5 and GTS and GT7, thats a **** ton of work for 6 dudes who are doing this in their spare time while also trying to have fun, so as a passionate fan of ARL and member for like a month, I think I'm qualified to speak for everyone when I say theres help here if its needed :lol::lol:

All said though, you all have done a spectacular job and I raise my beer to you guys :cheers::cheers::cheers:

Last edited:
I am a fairly new addition to ARL, and as such it hasn't lost its intrigue and fun for me, its a great time racing with good people and I've had more fun with this lot than I have in almost any other game, ever.

I will be getting ps5 between December and March most likely, and I'll try to get GT7 when it releases but I can be slow on getting new games. Trying to buy a Fanatec setup too between now and December so its about how much money I can afford to spend and how quickly, but thats all personal **** eh.

I'm cool to play on GTS and ps4 as long as we have a league on here, and maybe do a similar thing to ACC or Iracing where those that have ps5/gt7 know they have a community on there but those on ps4/GTS have friends to play with still? Just a thought.

I don't want this next point to come off as an indictment of the BOD as you guys have done an amazing job, but I have mentioned before that there are some willing to get involved in BOD/organizing/general help, including myself. Maybe deputizing some more members in various areas could help you guys not get so spread thin. I'm not saying it has to be me, but I'm sure there's folks who are willing to help with hosting/stats/organizing etc...

Obviously if theres Iracing and ACC and ps4 and ps5 and GTS and GT7, thats a **** ton of work for 6 dudes who are doing this in their spare time while also trying to have fun, so as a passionate fan of ARL and member for like a month, I think I'm qualified to speak for everyone when I say theres help here if its needed :lol::lol:

All said though, you all have done a spectacular job and I raise my beer to you guys :cheers::cheers::cheers:
Well said - prince of canada to the BOD!!

wait a minute if they were to allow Canadians on the board......hmmmmmm.....still the AMERICAN racin’ league? Makes ya think huh?

Took a little longer than we thought but they’re falling for our plan. (Again - insert evil laugh here)

VIVE LE CANADIENS!

:bowdown:

I'm staying with ARL, I will retrieve Ps5 asap, gotta a good league here,would hate to see it end!!! @TexasJDC .....am talking to you too!!!
Definitely not going to end man, while the PS5 is a long ways away for me ARL will live on, the core group of guys here rivals anything I've seen in life I'll continue to help any way I can and know you guys will be keeping a seat warm for me when i do get to PS5. We honestly never thought we would make it out of pre-season let alone consoles lol but you guys keep ARL alive and kicking I personally thank everyone for what you've done it's truly mind blowing, this is by far the coolest group of guys I've ever met! Even you @Drummer79 ! Bahahahaha

Just got the ‘ps5’ blessing from my wife to go ahead when available. Since GT is the only game i play (you’d think id be better huh!?) will wait until 7 is available of course.

and yes ive been married long enough to realize that if i have blessing to purchase this semi expensive toy that it will be reciprocated by her at some point. Also been married long enough to know i cant say DIDDLY - when she walks through the door with the semi expensive said reciprocated item.....:indiff:

For me ARL has been a diamond in the rough. I stumbled across the league and had the most fun I’ve had racing with a great bunch of guys(and lady). Unfortunately work got in the way and the Wednesday night league timing just didn’t work when i have to get up at 4:30-5am the next day. Most Thursday am’s i was exhausted! Lol

Recently i bought a gaming PC and have become OBSESSED with Assetto Corsa and all the MODS available. I’ve tried to boot up the PS4 and practice GTS but the feeling is lost after playing on PC and i find myself having little interest in it. Being new(er) to SimRacing, i need all the practice i can get and i haven’t found the time or motivation to play my PS4. I’m actually torn because not racing in ARL sucks, but it’s hard to commit to a league race during the week especially if i can’t devote the time needed to practice to ensure i don’t ruin someone’s race.

At the moment i don’t think I’m going to jump into PS5 anytime soon. I’m using my limited time to play on PC. Maybe when the newness wears off i will change my mind. I hope so because racing with everyone in ARL is always a fun night!

For me ARL has been a diamond in the rough. I stumbled across the league and had the most fun I’ve had racing with a great bunch of guys(and lady). Unfortunately work got in the way and the Wednesday night league timing just didn’t work when i have to get up at 4:30-5am the next day. Most Thursday am’s i was exhausted! Lol

Recently i bought a gaming PC and have become OBSESSED with Assetto Corsa and all the MODS available. I’ve tried to boot up the PS4 and practice GTS but the feeling is lost after playing on PC and i find myself having little interest in it. Being new(er) to SimRacing, i need all the practice i can get and i haven’t found the time or motivation to play my PS4. I’m actually torn because not racing in ARL sucks, but it’s hard to commit to a league race during the week especially if i can’t devote the time needed to practice to ensure i don’t ruin someone’s race.

At the moment i don’t think I’m going to jump into PS5 anytime soon. I’m using my limited time to play on PC. Maybe when the newness wears off i will change my mind. I hope so because racing with everyone in ARL is always a fun night!
It is extremely hard to jump back and forth I thought I could do a better job than I did at it but honestly I failed miserably lol.

Back