Audi R18 help

• Thread starter Rich S
  • 41 comments
So in my mind the R18 is just to slow in a straight line in this game. At the 2011 24 hours of Le Mans the pole was 3:25.7 for this car, the fastest of all of em.... In GT6 I cannot for the life of me even after lowering downforce get better than a 3:30.xx in TT mode and online I imagine a good clean race lap is closer to 3:40-42. I notice top speed is no where near where it should be as I can only do 191 mph down the straight on half the max wing level. With full wing its a struggle to break 186 mph. I think the real car went over 220 mph if I'm not mistaken. Why is this? Did PD not let you use the KERS system or the "boost" button or whatever you call it?

By comparison with the Delta wing just zooms along. The delta just seems like it has exaggerated grip levels in relation the the LMP machines which really are the fastest sports cars out there. I know in the past gran Turismo has had unrealistic performances, but usually that meant cars going too fast, not the other way around! So what's the deal here, does the car just not have the KERS funtional lowering the straight line power?

I was thinking it could be that Kaz (GT's founder) has something against Audi as the GT3 Audi is also rather slow in the game yet destroys the competition in real life. What do you guys think? Is it possible for me to do a 3:25 on Sarthe with tuning (not turbo, default power with the right suspension/downforce/gears).

I was thinking it could be that Kaz (GT's founder) has something against Audi as the GT3 Audi is also rather slow in the game yet destroys the competition in real life.

Golden rule of GT - forget real life comparison and deal with whats in the game. Otherwise you'll be going round in circles and tearing your hair out...

There will be some similarities, but also some big differences.. Just get used to what's "infront of you" (in the game) and not what you see elsewhere, you'll save a huge amount of wasted time head scratching and tearing your hair out..

Always remember why the game costs £40/$60 and why "real" simulators cost thousands and thousands.

What should be right and wrong is another subjective issue that'll take you down the same road (tearing hair out) - ultimately, this won't change, you'll have to deal with whats in the game sooner or later - ironically, the sooner you do, the sooner "it" becomes easier generally..

As for R18 @ Le Mans-go super long with gears (use that huge torque & low aero (but same difference between fr and rr you get as stock)....

The R18 in GT6 is the 2011 model, the E-tron Quattro was a year later.

I personally crank up the downforce and use careful throttle management, and set-up the diff to help compensate for all that power.

So in my mind the R18 is just to slow in a straight line in this game. At the 2011 24 hours of Le Mans the pole was 3:25.7 for this car, the fastest of all of em.... In GT6 I cannot for the life of me even after lowering downforce get better than a 3:30.xx in TT mode and online I imagine a good clean race lap is closer to 3:40-42. I notice top speed is no where near where it should be as I can only do 191 mph down the straight on half the max wing level. With full wing its a struggle to break 186 mph. I think the real car went over 220 mph if I'm not mistaken. Why is this? Did PD not let you use the KERS system or the "boost" button or whatever you call it?

By comparison with the Delta wing just zooms along. The delta just seems like it has exaggerated grip levels in relation the the LMP machines which really are the fastest sports cars out there. I know in the past gran Turismo has had unrealistic performances, but usually that meant cars going too fast, not the other way around! So what's the deal here, does the car just not have the KERS funtional lowering the straight line power?

I was thinking it could be that Kaz (GT's founder) has something against Audi as the GT3 Audi is also rather slow in the game yet destroys the competition in real life. What do you guys think? Is it possible for me to do a 3:25 on Sarthe with tuning (not turbo, default power with the right suspension/downforce/gears).

At Le Mans it's all about getting the perfect balance of straight line speed (long gears, low aero) and speed in the Porsche Curves... it'll take time for someone to find that balance. The real cars don't actually go much over 200mph anymore because that's more than enough to be quick down the Mulsanne and run enough downforce to be quick in the corners.

Also, in the R18 there is no boost button... firstly the GT6 model as Azure Flare has pointed out above is not the hybrid model, secondly even if it was the hybrid system doesn't deliver power like an F1 KERS unit, it's part of the throttle mapping so it is applied through normal driving (in the Audi's case only above 70mph as that is the rule for front-driven hybrid systems).

I'd say it's possible to get in the 3.20's with the R18... it's all about setup.

At Le Mans it's all about getting the perfect balance of straight line speed (long gears, low aero) and speed in the Porsche Curves... it'll take time for someone to find that balance. The real cars don't actually go much over 200mph anymore because that's more than enough to be quick down the Mulsanne and run enough downforce to be quick in the corners.

Also, in the R18 there is no boost button... firstly the GT6 model as Azure Flare has pointed out above is not the hybrid model, secondly even if it was the hybrid system doesn't deliver power like an F1 KERS unit, it's part of the throttle mapping so it is applied through normal driving (in the Audi's case only above 70mph as that is the rule for front-driven hybrid systems).

I'd say it's possible to get in the 3.20's with the R18... it's all about setup.
Yeah I'll mess around with it again today, its just fustrating seing my delta wing times be faster than my R18 times, and my Corvette ZR1 times match my R18 times, etc, etc. I like the guy that said, "just deal with what's in front of you" because I think that's about right here. Although I will say that a real good sim doesn't need to cost thousands, i racing has it down pretty good for a fraction of what F1 teams probably spend on their sims. Although of course we can be critical of all games, including iracing so at the end of the day I need to just look at what's in front of me and not worry too much about inaccuracies.

I will say that a real good sim doesn't need to cost thousands, i racing has it down pretty good for a fraction of what F1 teams probably spend on their sims.

True, iRacing can be epic at times - but too much Mazda cup demolition derby left me scarred (bad memories - trying to forget)!!!!!!

Just as an update to realistic times... had a test session at Silverstone this evening in the R18 and with a decent suspension setup and some aero and gear tweaks my best time was 1.47.8XX. The fastest lap in the 6 Hour WEC race at Silverstone this year was by the winning Audi e-tron quattro with 1.42.XXX

EDIT: In the 2011 race the fastest race lap by an Audi R18 was a 1.46.658... so not too far off then.

So with some more setup work I think high 45's are possible, but I don't think I could get much more out of the car otherwise. So a 3-4 second gap from real to game is looking likely... transpose that to a larger track like Le Mans and 7-8 seconds off isn't a bad effort really.

Last edited:
Just as an update to realistic times... had a test session at Silverstone this evening in the R18 and with a decent suspension setup and some aero and gear tweaks my best time was 1.47.8XX. The fastest lap in the 6 Hour WEC race at Silverstone this year was by the winning Audi e-tron quattro with 1.42.XXX

EDIT: In the 2011 race the fastest race lap by an Audi R18 was a 1.46.658... so not too far off then.

So with some more setup work I think high 45's are possible, but I don't think I could get much more out of the car otherwise. So a 3-4 second gap from real to game is looking likely... transpose that to a larger track like Le Mans and 7-8 seconds off isn't a bad effort really.
Down the long straights is really where it looses out on its real life counterpart, on twisty tracks I can go pretty good. I did 7:40 with it on the 24 hours Nurburgring circuit. I'm driving with with no Turbos (default power).

This whole low top speed issue seems to extend through all the new premium cars, new to the GT series. It doesn't seem to affect the standards. I was driving the 2001 audi R8 LMP1 and it drove with the exact same feel as it does in GT5.

The Audi R18 isn't the only brand new premium to suffer from low top speeds. On full power a Nascar struggles to break 45.00 at Daytona solo, whereas in real life a restricted Nascar with half the power can do similar times.

Regardless, I'm no longer too concerned over it because remembering back to how much cars speeds/drag levels changed with updates in GT5 I'm sure PD will be tinkering with the physics as time goes on to fill some gaps.

Down the long straights is really where it looses out on its real life counterpart, on twisty tracks I can go pretty good. I did 7:40 with it on the 24 hours Nurburgring circuit. I'm driving with with no Turbos (default power).

This whole low top speed issue seems to extend through all the new premium cars, new to the GT series. It doesn't seem to affect the standards. I was driving the 2001 audi R8 LMP1 and it drove with the exact same feel as it does in GT5.

The Audi R18 isn't the only brand new premium to suffer from low top speeds. On full power a Nascar struggles to break 45.00 at Daytona solo, whereas in real life a restricted Nascar with half the power can do similar times.

Regardless, I'm no longer too concerned over it because remembering back to how much cars speeds/drag levels changed with updates in GT5 I'm sure PD will be tinkering with the physics as time goes on to fill some gaps.

Perhaps the aero mapping on the new cars is different to the older cars? I don't think PD's implentation of drag is completely accurate for all cars, but as a general one it's okay... I don't expect them to individually tailor 1000-odd cars to exact aero maps.

I'm not concerned either, as long as it drives like it should. I love the R18, it's great to drive, I can get somewhat near enough to the real times to consider it a lack of setup knowledge and talent on my part that I can't get closer! I'm no Allan McNish...

So in my mind the R18 is just to slow in a straight line in this game. At the 2011 24 hours of LInto. ns the pole was 3:25.7 for this car, the fastest of all of em.... In GT6 I cannot for the life of me even after lowering downforce get better than a 3:30.xx in TT mode and online I imagine a good clean race lap is closer to 3:40-42. I notice top speed is no where near where it should be as I can only do 191 mph down the straight on half the max wing level. With full wing its a struggle to break 186 mph. I think the real car went over 220 mph if I'm not mistaken. Why is this? Did PD not let you use the KERS system or the "boost" button or whatever you call it?

Suspension
Height 80 80
Spring Rate 16.00 15.28
Comp 33
Ext. 2 3
Roll bars 2 3
Camber angle 2.4 2.0
Toe angle -0.16 0.06 brake 8 7
L S D
Init

Suspension
Height 80 80
Spring Rate 16.00 15.28
Comp 33
Ext. 2 3
Roll bars 2 3
Camber angle 2.4 2.0
Toe angle -0.16 0.06 brake 8 7
L S D
Init
Initia Torque 5
Accel. SENSITIVITY 8
Brake sesitivity 12
Brake balance 8 7
I dont have a tranny setup but this is a good base tune

One thing is certain, the R18's listed power is a joke that Audi can't get you to laugh at. When they say 530hp, its a conservative figure. Theyre making at least 560-600+ hp and there is math to back these claims up by respected people in the motorsports world. Another thing, they can take the porsche curves almost flat out. They drop to 5th gear for the entry and stay in it through the exit before the pit straight. If you want times closer, try 550 or 560hp. They also have soft tires for qualifying and start of the race. But the gap is not as big between the compounds irl. Ive watched the ILMC, WEC, LM24 for years now. Ive noticed you can't believe the team's word on things like power most the time.

:grumpy:

don't try to compare this car with the group C race cars,it has nothing to do with it.even with all turbo on it is no match for the any group C car.....now you have to try a group C car with the same power(560 hp) and then you'll see the difference

Last edited:
@Rich S how much down force do you have on the car? I've been slowly working on the R18 and I noticed with all the cars at high speed is down force. I've got the R18 up to 210mph so but having trouble making it stick. Once i get a good set I'll share it.

I've been able to get the R18 above 200 only on a light full load. I'm not sure why some of the cars are slowing, it may be the transmission. The only way I've been able to get the 18 over 220 is buy taking all the down force off of the car. After furthering my testing I'm starting to trust the new model more.

in 2011 the fastest speeds set by the R18s was around 330kph. the Peugeots were running with less downforce, achieving the speed of about 340kph.
on the fia wec website you can find all this information.

@Rich S how much down force do you have on the car? I've been slowly working on the R18 and I noticed with all the cars at high speed is down force. I've got the R18 up to 210mph so but having trouble making it stick. Once i get a good set I'll share it.
I'll try out the above set ups and see what kind of times I get.

Even on minimum downforce the R18 TDI struggles to get to 198mph on the Mulsanne straight. If you drive on the track without the chicanes than it might get to 210 mph, lol. On SSRX I dont know how fast it goes.

The guy who said the car gets more power than Audi say, probably true. When your solo you get too much drag in GT6, and in the draft its nearly the same as being in outer space (no drag). :) I've said everything I think, no point in rambling on. But I'll try the setups as that's what I was primarily looking for as I am kind of bad at tuning in GT.

One thing is certain, the R18's listed power is a joke that Audi can't get you to laugh at. When they say 530hp, its a conservative figure. Theyre making at least 560-600+ hp and there is math to back these claims up by respected people in the motorsports world. Another thing, they can take the porsche curves almost flat out. They drop to 5th gear for the entry and stay in it through the exit before the pit straight. If you want times closer, try 550 or 560hp. They also have soft tires for qualifying and start of the race. But the gap is not as big between the compounds irl. Ive watched the ILMC, WEC, LM24 for years now. Ive noticed you can't believe the team's word on things like power most the time.
That's not true at all. You can find all entries information on the ACO and FIA sites with searching. However, here is a spreadsheet that was on the FIA's but got taken down relatively quickly..
image.jpg
image.jpg

It is bs they never tell you at what RPM that hp is being made, and if you look at onboards they never shift later than 4,500 rpm, in the game the stock R18 makes max power near redline. If you want to be realistic use the stage 1 turbo, and you'll get a realistic powerband, and you'll be able to set realistic times.

Also the secret to tuning this car is to turn the 49:51 weight distribution to 50:50, at least it worked for me.

It is bs they never tell you at what RPM that hp is being made, and if you look at onboards they never shift later than 4,500 rpm, in the game the stock R18 makes max power near redline. If you want to be realistic use the stage 1 turbo, and you'll get a realistic powerband, and you'll be able to set realistic times.

Also the secret to tuning this car is to turn the 49:51 weight distribution to 50:50, at least it worked for me.
No where on those charts does it say max potential rpm or anything with rpm.... Unless you have physical proof, this is as accurate as the knowledge that a rock will sink in water..

That chart shows power levels the teams want you to believe. Theres hard to take them serious when theyre touching 340kmh at LeMans. You just dont do that with "510hp", yeah its a big underestimate.

That chart shows power levels the teams want you to believe. Theres hard to take them serious when theyre touching 340kmh at LeMans. You just dont do that with "510hp", yeah its a big underestimate.
No matter how hard you try though, the drivers are payed at the end of the day to be the best in the world. We are a bunch of schmoes that race on a game...

And like I said, unless there is physical proof on anyone's behalf to disprove of, then that is what they run as far as we know..

No matter how hard you try though, the drivers are payed at the end of the day to be the best in the world. We are a bunch of schmoes that race on a game...

And like I said, unless there is physical proof on anyone's behalf to disprove of, then that is what they run as far as we know..

When people like Mulsanne Mike on Mulsanne's corner have a chuckle about Audi's quoted power, then there has to be credence to the fact that Audi's quote is a bit hog wash. And before anyone discredits that website, he actually mentions that he gets hits from people in Ingolstadt and Cologne and many other places where the headquarters of these sportscars programs.

A car with the amount of downforce and the the power level they quoted should not be touching over 200, but yet they were regularly seen doing around 205 mph. And that's taken right at the braking points too, so the numbers that the ACO cannot be fully trusted either to give a true picture.

I'd search Mulsanne's Corner for Mike's chuckling but I have to clean my house with my brother.

Just tried to hit real life times in Le Mans with the Anniversary Edition R18, can't get close.
While it's better than in GT5, the times in Le Mans are still off, you have to brake way too much.

At least I got close with the DeltaWing to its 2012 qualifying time.

Just tried to hit real life times in Le Mans with the Anniversary Edition R18, can't get close.
While it's better than in GT5, the times in Le Mans are still off, you have to brake way too much.

At least I got close with the DeltaWing to its 2012 qualifying time.
There are some cars you can really get close to such as the z06 rm (but now we have the LM not the rm) but then there are those no where near possible... It's just one of those things...

I'm struggling with the R18 at the moment to get it down to something close to a realistic lap time. The best I can manage is a 3:46 at the moment. I'd accept a 3:35 as close enough because I'm not a top notch sim racer, but 3:46? Something's wrong there, and I'm pretty sure it's the top speed not being fast enough, I'm only pulling 317km/h with no aero. Will continue to play with it and if I come up with a breakthrough I'll post it. At the moment I just can't believe that the R18 TDI does a 3:25 with only 540hp it's gotta have more surely. I know GT is a pretty poor simulator, but it should be closer than this.

edit: lowering the car down as far as possible with a few more gearing tweaks has made a massive difference to top end speed, I'm now touching on 330km/h. But with minimum aero lowering the car this much has ruined the handling. Still down to 3:41............

Last edited:
Back