Audio setup for GT4

i have an urgent question concerning the Logitech X-530's.

how do i connect those speakers to my PlayStation 2? which cable do i have to use? will it come with the speakers or do i have to buy it separately?

I've got my PS2 and Xbox hooked on a Logitech Z-5500 (the new system). And it rocks. This baby is expensive (here in Europe it costs around 350€, I got it for 250 though).

The sound is deep, rich, immersive, clear, and booming. It is the unofficial follow up to the Logitech Z-680 that was mentioned before in here. Well, I thought that setup rocked. Untill I got the 5500 :) Altough the GT4 Japanese demo (and final version) might just be Dolby Prologic II, it sounds absolutely stunning. Especially the Falken GTR roars like there will be no tomorrow. And hearing the wind around the car on high speeds, with the tires all squeeking and screaming seperately is bringing GT4 to another level.

So, if anyone has the money for a good system, i'd definitely recommend the Logitech Z-5500. It also sounds VERY good for watching DVD's or listening to music in general. This in contrary to the Z-680 which really missed too much mid and high and was too unbalanced to really enjoy those as good as possible.

See and read more about it here

k2racer
Check out the logitech Z-680!

I own them and they blow away conventional home cinema sets with ease, for a fair price.

Very happy with them also for dvd playback of sound of course. Hook the dvd up with coax, the ps2 optical and away you go.

Nice stylish (and not conservative) looking module for the settings also.

I can not wait for the backfire 'pops' on the subwoofer.

edit; missed your spending money there....But still consider

did you have to buy the coax and the optical cables separately or do they come with the speaker set? i'm going to buy the the z-680 also next week, can hardly wait! :) ... just wanted to know whether i had to stop by another shop to buy the coax/optical for dvd/ps2 or if i could head straight home with them. ;)

As you may expect:

You have to buy them still... The only cable I got was the connection towards a PC...

Warn the people nextdoor, the volume it can generate is massive!

I have a sony 600 watt 5.1 in my game room and it is incredible especially for right around $200. From Best Buy as mentioned by TalGuy. I have only cranked it full volume once or twice. Very Very loud especialy in a small room. :)
The loudest I ever had it cranked was for the Onimusha 3 beginning trailer. Just incredible!!!

Jedi2016
Actually, there are NO games that support in-game DD5.1. The PS2 is simply incapable. Xbox can do it, which is one plus I'll give 'em (as far as I know, nearly all XB games are DD5.1). No doubt PS3 will support it without a fuss. PLII is a decent alternative for the time being. Not as good as DD or DTS, but better than stereo.
Next time read peoples posts instead of talking unnecessary random jibberish.....I SAID CUT SCENES! Hmmmm last time i checked cut scenes were those little movies you WATCH between gaming??? But yes what you say is true.
http://www.dolby.com/consumer/games/games_and_consoles4.html

Actually, I was responding to this sentence:

"Too bad there are barely any games that support realtime DD or DTS"

All I said was that there are no games that support realtime DD. "Barely any" impies there may be a few games that do support it, when in fact there are none.

After searching on the forum for past articles that surround the audio setup for the PS2, I’m still a bit confused and was wondering if anyone could clarify the following for me...now that GT4 is in limited production:

1. For those who have GT4 & know, what does GT4 support in the way of audio:
A. DTS?
B. Pro Logic II? (or is it Dolby Pro Logic?)
D. Dolby Digital 5.1?

2. Must I have a receiver to hook up the PS2 & speaker set to?
I’m assuming yes as I can’t see anywhere on the PS2 where one would hook-up speakers and/or a sub-woofer.

3. Is it possible to hookup a transducer under a race seat if you have a racing cockpit/simulator? Would it be worth it if yes?

I’m not looking for recommendations on audio speakers but rather what I’ll need to get them to work...

Thanks to anyone who has some insight into this! 👍

SimRaceDriver:

Hmm its the other way around... Dolby digital is software based, DTS is hardware based. Pro Logic is an encoded version of Dolby Surround.

The PS2 doesn't do DTS, but does Dolby Surround, which can also be Dolby Digital (using a digital audio connection).

Pako

Definitely give Klipsch a listen before you buy anything. Their ProMedia line (for PC and game systems) sounds astonishing for the price, and can play loudly with no distortion. I'm not up on all the latest Logitech speaker sets but I did audition a couple around a year ago and they sounded terrible to me. The sub especially was muddy and booming and you couldn't turn it down far enough. It always overpowered the satellites. Needless to say I went for the Klipschies instead - a basic ProMedia 2.1 setup for my computer. My PS2 gets to be hooked up to the home theater setup in the other room. :)

The Klipsch sub is excellent for the money, it will impress you with its clean tight bass. And the satellites can really hold their own, too, with solid midrange and those beautiful horn tweeters.

Looks like Klipsch now has a gamer's 5.1 system available, I'd check that out.
http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=525

RedOak
The PS2 doesn't do DTS, but does Dolby Surround, which can also be Dolby Digital (using a digital audio connection).

The PS2 can do DTS. Of that list, I've only played GTA:VC and while I suspect it may not be discrete 5.1, my reciever decodes DTS all the way through the game - not just cutscenes or anything like that. 👍

And to clarify your Dolby statement, Dolby Surround output can't be turned into Dolby Digital just by running it through a digital audio cable. I'm sure you knew this, but that wording might make it sound that way to some people... :)

SimRaceDriver
Just came back from a recent Circuit City (Santa Cruz, CA) & picked up the Logitech X-530 Speaker System but unfortunately, it does NOT come with the needed video game adapter in order to hook it up to my PS2...
and they (Circuit City) didn't carry this particular part & I can't find it on the Logitech website, even though on the back of the box it says you can purchase it from their website! (Sometimes I really hate Logitech! :))

Therefore, if anyone has this particular set of speakers, can you PLEASE tell me how you were able to hook it up to your PS2? I'm going fricking crazy here trying to find it online (anywhere) and not having any luck!

T.I.A.-

SRD

Ive got the Z-5500 and I think all you need is the Optical cable that goes into the back of the Logitech Control Pod & the PS2 Optical bit?

Im not sure its the same those speakers though, I assume it would be.

I've had a Sony HT-BE1 5.1 system connected to my PS2/DVD player for 2 years now and it serves me well. Movies and games sound great but music playback - especially classic music - isn't anything to write home about.

http://i.pricerunner.com/prod/679101373l/Sony_HT-BE1.gif

All GT4 flavours I've played: Prologue, BMW demo, Toyota Prius demo and latest demo sound very good, with good rear sound and deep bass.

SimRaceDriver
1. For those who have GT4 & know, what does GT4 support in the way of audio:
A. DTS?
B. Pro Logic II? (or is it Dolby Pro Logic?)
D. Dolby Digital 5.1?

SimRaceDriver:

So what does GT4 support?

Thanks.

---GT 4 Audio Options (Japanese Ver.)

A. Does not support DTS
B. Supports Pro Logic II
C. Supports Dolby Digital 5.1 (BUT only during the Intro Movie Sequence)

Civicbus
If your looking for a computer setup I'd say give the Logitech Z-2200 a quick look. It's a 2.1 setup but it's THX certified and sounds clear and loud with a solid bass hit. I picked mine up for 100 brand new but originally they go for 200-something.

edit: oh and i'm not sure how much of a quality sound stickler you are but if you go with a 5.1 or higher make sure your room and speaker setup are symetrical. ie: your speakers are both X amount of feet away front their walls, your room is a square or rectangle without any huge gaps on one side (like a gap from living room to dining room)

I have the same system hooked up to my PS2. It comes with the neccesary cables. I highly reccomend it.

I just got this last month!!
Harman Kardon AVR 235

so far so good!

http://www.harmankardon.com/product...=US&Language=ENG&cat=REC&prod=AVR 235&sType=C

7.1 Ch. Ready for PS3 and gt5.. hehehe
It has:
DTS, DTS ES, DTS Neo6
DD5.1 , Dolby Digital EX (6.1, 7.1)
Dolby Pro Logic , Pro Logic II, and the "new" , Pro Logic IIx for 7.1 .

im saving some money month after month to get a sony hdtv as soon as i can, this could be at years end, hehhee damn expensive!

my last audio system was from Altec Lansing 4.1 (with support for Dolby Pro Logic, for Nintendo 64 games :D ), and had it for over 6 years!

that creative combo its nice, because it already has the decoder and even a remote. go for i!

rathead
---GT 4 Audio Options (Japanese Ver.)

A. Does not support DTS
B. Supports Pro Logic II
C. Supports Dolby Digital 5.1 (BUT only during the Intro Movie Sequence)

Guys with the US ver. is it the same? Still waiting for mine to come in the mail.

It looks like Pro Logic II is the best audio you'll get while racing?????

Guys with the US ver. is it the same? Still waiting for mine to come in the mail.

It looks like Pro Logic II is the best audio you'll get while racing?????

I think it depends on your setup. If you have a good reciever that gives the abilty to decode you can take a 2 channel game and make it surround sound. The best way to test if you have a good reciever is get Blade 2 (MOVIE) put it in 2 channel and set your reciever to decode in Dolby PLIIx it sound as good if not better than the 6.1 discreet mix that is on the disc. :sly:

I said this because I have my GT4 set up in stereo and it sound way better than the Pro Logix II that you can select. :dopey:

My 600w Pioneer is fantastic, I love it, 5.1 DPL2 is amazing. Especially with my new Samsung HDTV, I miss my DFP but the HDTV more then makes up for it.

Can someone tell me what cable adapter I need to buy to connect my KLIPSCH speakers to the playstation 2?

The KLIPSCH speakers only have a standard computer audio cable connector. I assume, that I need a adapter that will connect a standard computer audio cable to a optical out cable?

Where do I buy this? Is this what I need?

I really need to output to my monitor(21" sony G500 trinitron which supports 480i) and my computer speakers(Event TR-8 studio monitors). I'm using a cheap 30some inch TV with built in speakers :|

Back