Audiophiles, get in here!

• Thread starter Mike Rotch
  • 82 comments
Like the ones you linked. 30$ max

See, the problem is with these types of earbuds is that they aren't really that well on quality, then again, if you're going to work out with earbuds, you kind of have to expect for them to get torn up and wet.

MEElectronics Sport-Fi M6

I heard that these are okay, the company isn't exactly bad, their quality just varies on some things.

Sennheiser CX 685 Adidas Sports

A little over $30 but with audio, $5-$10-$20 will make a huge difference when coming to shopping on a budget. Sennheiser is a company that I'll trust generally. They have pretty good quality stuff, their audio equipment is top notch.

There are other brands out there like Koss and Sony too but those are some of the ones I know are pretty good.

If you are reflecting on what I said about the sports earbuds and quality above, here is something I would rather have you do and you'll probably come out about even at $30 and will have better durability.

Gold Xiaomi 2nd Piston Earphone

Alpatronix EX100

Yes, I understand that they don't have a clip or anything to hold the earbuds in your ear but here is my recommendation. There is a company that is called Comply-Foam. As you can probably see, they have different types of tips. What I am doing (and what I would recommend you doing) is sticking with the Monoprice 9927 which are about $16 on Amazon (with prime) or $8 on Monoprice.com, getting the Comply active foam tips which I will tell you now, are great. My brother purchased me a pair of earbuds and he gave me those with them. I got rid of them because I was dumb and little. I will tell you now that they make all of the difference in earbuds.

That's all I really have to say, even if you're going to get the active type earbuds, definitely consider the Comply-Tips because the inside of your ears will not be sweaty with them. Any questions, just ask.

I also trust Sennheiser because I had ones HD201 which are dirt cheap and very decent.

The clip is there because nowadays earphones have that rubber thing that I can't get it secured in my ear and they fall all the time. As you imagine it's very annoying repositioning them in 1h/1.5h long runs.

While doing sport (running) there's two things I don't really care about: sound and isolation.
I like a nice sound of course, but as I'm running the music will abstract me and give me rythem while running. If I've got Pendulum I speed up because the music says so, if it comes Alt-J I slow down and enjoy (ths is involuntary).
I live in a small village that hasn't any park or proper paths for runners so I have to do it on public roads. Public roads mean cars and I have to hear them so I can react accordingly. Because of that isolation isn't a priority.

A little bit of google and I found some interesting earphones (one is a headphone, but whatever) ane one brand stood out which was Philips SHQ family. Other options are these and these.

And thank for helping me out

We have a thread for this? I have some Grado SR225i headphones.

61AtBP75uYL._SX466_.jpg

Not the best looking (Or comfortable) but I do love their sound. I want a pair of Sennheiser HD600s or HD650s but those are a major step up and would need an amp to power them. I've got two other things to save for before those though, so they aren't going to happen for some time.

I started my journey in 2010 by purchasing and listening to vintage equipment and I’ve caught the bug since.

I’m still looking for a good listening chair though!

Equipment:
Omega Super 6 Alnico
Chord Qutest
Primaluna Prologue Premium

Mine a mixture.

Rega Planer 1 mixed with bits from my old Planer 3 after it's motor failed. With a Musical Fidelity Systhesis (circa 1983) and a set of B&W DM 601's (late '90s).

Vinyl would leave a black hole in my pocket. I’m genuinely afraid to purchase a turntable

Which brings me to the stereophile dilemma that I’m facing. Every potential purchase is leap of faith because it costs an arm and a leg and even though you can audition certain equipment at the store, there is no guarantee that it’s going to sound the same in your room.

Vinyl would leave a black hole in my pocket. I’m genuinely afraid to purchase a turntable

Which brings me to the stereophile dilemma that I’m facing. Every potential purchase is leap of faith because it costs an arm and a leg and even though you can audition certain equipment at the store, there is no guarantee that it’s going to sound the same in your room.
Oh it does indeed, I’ve been collecting vinyl for 40 years, my Discogs valuation is frightening

Every potential purchase is leap of faith because it costs an arm and a leg and even though you can audition certain equipment at the store, there is no guarantee that it’s going to sound the same in your room.

17 years of 'auditioning' equipment for people leads me to believe quality carries over. If it genuinely sounds the best in store, it's likely it will sound the best at home - this includes many home demonstrations - cus y'know, we were a proper Hi-Fi shop.

If you're already accepting of vinyl's shortcomings... IMHO you're not buying it for the sound quality, you're buying it because you want to buy into a tactile experience - variance and impurities included.

Had the opportunity to listen to a SET amp. Still in disbelief that what is a mere couple of watts is capable of producing a big & engaging sound.

U9rN4cf.gif

U9rN4cf.gi

Last edited:
Oh it does indeed, I’ve been collecting vinyl for 40 years, my Discogs valuation is frightening

Just checked mine today and it’s gone up again due Daft Punk insanity and panic buying from people.

not see you post in the Vinyl Thread fella.

Bought a matched set of Tung Sol EL34 and 12au7 to replace the stock tubes in my amp.

It took the edge off. The music sounds effortless and detached from the speakers. The caveat is that the speed has been taken down a notch and it took me a few days to get used it.

Things that have been improved upon are depth, dynamics, bass response, overall presentation and sense of realism when it comes to instruments.

Edit: This is the first time that I’m rolling tubes and I had low expectations but the changes are very drastic.

Last edited:
I’ve had two rectifier tubes fail on me. They are the two small ones in the middle. Or at least that is what I think at the moment. As soon as I swapped them out with my old tubes my right channel stopped errupting when I turned on my amp. It was a really scary moment.

So now I’m using a funky mix of old and new.

Who is chasing the audiophile white rabbit? As in thinking about buying something new.
I'm always on the hunt for new stuff. Doesn't mean I buy a lot, but I'm always looking.

I occasionally contemplate records but I don't want to head down that particular hole. And I'm more of a movie guy, anyway.

TB
I'm always on the hunt for new stuff. Doesn't mean I buy a lot, but I'm always looking.

I occasionally contemplate records but I don't want to head down that particular hole. And I'm more of a movie guy, anyway.

Its an addiction for sure with record buying. Like you I'm also heavy into movies and love a good physical release so I'm constantly skint. Funny enough, as I was typing this a new 7" record from Poland has just arrived.

@andrea I'm always looking for new HiFi equipment but there are other things a need the bulk of my money to go towards at the moment. Maybe at some point I'll get around to it.

Yup, I've still a list of equipment I'd like to buy. It's not even that long, but it's low priority, given how rarely I really use my system as intended.

@andrea I'm always looking for new HiFi equipment but there are other things a need the bulk of my money to go towards at the moment. Maybe at some point I'll get around to it.
That's responsible. I keep telling myself that if you can't pay for it twice, then you can't afford it.
TB

The feeling is mutual.

I've always openly joked about having a two channel system in every room in my house but I've been thinking about a solid state solution for my living room. A Naim Uniti Atom headphone edition with some bookshelf speakers to be exact.

Last edited:
I'm currently looking at streaming solutions from Mytek, Innous, Auralic and etc. At this point I just want a small box that will blend in with the furniture.

Somehow, I ended up shortlisting the Naim Uniti Atom. Probably because it’s in the same ball park where price is concerned.

Last edited:
Blade Runner is such s special film. It sounds as good as it looks with all the bleeps and bobs going off in the background.

I LOVE skyline diffusers. I started to lay one out for the back wall of my theater room then found out how much it would cost to build and decided the room didn't sound too bad. :lol:

Back