Australian Formula 1 Grand Prix 2009

• Thread starter GT4 genius
  • 606 comments
Oh wow, its official: Ferrari have switched car numbers for Felipe and Kimi:
http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2009/3/9043.html

Johnathan Legard has also posted a blog about Kimi and Felipe which is quite a good read:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/jonathanlegard/2009/03/so-which-current-drivers-getti.html

Edit: Found a good image to help explain the row to those who haven't been following the technical discussions:

jnhbgvfscdfngh.jpg

Last edited:
Ah I see the diffuser thing now, that's pretty clever.

Also, Renault and Ferrari only teams confirmed to runs KERS in Melbourne so far..

Thanks for the picture Ardius, really interesting. I would say that they appear illegal from that picture, but of course the rules may be a bit vague in that area and so i cant judge them on those pictures alone.
But they do show how complex the Brawn car is and how simple the Renault appears to be.

Thet're switching numbers, not car decals.

but changing massa to the hire number means he will be the number one driver and by regulations he will have the red T-camera. thats not a decal thing but instead a regulation required so the offiacial and media can identify the car and driver easier.

Oh wow, its official: Ferrari have switched car numbers for Felipe and Kimi:
http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2009/3/9043.html

Johnathan Legard has also posted a blog about Kimi and Felipe which is quite a good read:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/jonathanlegard/2009/03/so-which-current-drivers-getti.html

Edit: Found a good image to help explain the row to those who haven't been following the technical discussions:

jnhbgvfscdfngh.jpg

Very clever. I don't really see Max's comment as being divisive. Just a statement of opinion.

Personally, I think the exploit of the invisible areas not covered by the regs are legal. But I don't doubt that they will be struck.

The FIA should have specified maximum dimensions for the diffuser in total... maybe they will do so within the next few races.

Thanks for the picture Ardius, really interesting. I would say that they appear illegal from that picture, but of course the rules may be a bit vague in that area and so i cant judge them on those pictures alone.
But they do show how complex the Brawn car is and how simple the Renault appears to be.

Thanks from me also, Ardius. I too, found it interesting how Pat Symmonds thought the design was "clever", whilst Mr. Briatorre did not...
However, the illustration has brought me clarity, and I believe the design contravenes the spirit of the rules. I believe that is Flavio's position on the matter, also.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the "spirit of the rules" was to prevent bargeboards also, so how come there are no protests about the, admittedly smaller ones most if not all teams are running now. I think it's pretty obvious why not.

'Spirit of the rules' is all fine and dandy when you are talking about an amateur level sport, but with something as serious and big money as F1, any loop hole in the rules is fair game to be exploited and any blame sits squarely on the rule makers clear wording or lack of.

I was expecting to have to get up at 2-3 am to watch this. Didn't realise that they'd changed the time of this one to 5pm local time, so it's on at 6am here. 👍

I was expecting to have to get up at 2-3 am to watch this. Didn't realise that they'd changed the time of this one to 5pm local time, so it's on at 6am here. 👍

and here too. Thanks for the info, didn't know that! 👍

That sounds a mighty tempting reason to wake up...

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/090324093202.shtml

I don't paste this piece of news because quoting Ecclestone here would be a AUP serious violaton. I might even get banned ! :ill:

Anyway, I think this is just another sign that the F1 world is indeed troubled. And, above all, that FOTA is indeed annoying the traditional powers.

PS - Let me just quote this, I found it so amusing. Ecclestone referring to FOTA says:

They were saying all the FOTA-schmota are not going (to Australia) - nobody's going to go.”

FOTA-schmota ... :lol:

Really? How so?

The designs on the left side illustration appear to have greater volumetric airflow capacity... the whole point of this years rules (designs) was to place less importance on aerodynamic aids and to improve overtaking opportunities, hm? Spirit of the rules/Spirit of competition... what's the difference when it comes to 'grey' areas and loopholes? Unintentional cheating??? I would have no problem if the questionable diffusers are deemed legal, though. Then Renault, etc. would be free to proceed with their own. FIA should make the rules more clear.

Meanwhile Bernie really ought to get a job as a journalist for the star. Dramatic exaggeration doesn't get much better. That last quote is Golden. :dopey:

I think he should be a screenwriter. Take that quote out of its context and ask:

"A Mafia boss speaking of the FBI in a Holywood movie? No, Bernie Ecclestone speaking of Flavio Briatore and Ron Dennis ... for real!"

Really? How so?

His own private fanboy rules, in which anything that appears to help a car and isn't on Alonso's car is illegal. The user was quite active early last year.

On a more serious note, surprisingly, he's correct:

The designs on the left side illustration appear to have greater volumetric airflow capacity...

Because they do - it essentially means a longer, and thus more capable diffuser. The reason, however, why it's said to be "against the spirit" is different: The whole point this year wasn't just to reduce downforce, but mainly to reduce a car's sensitivity to another car's wake. The problem with these diffusers is that they're longer and not uniformly long, and airflow exits them at different speeds from different sections - thus creating more turbulence than intended with this year's narrower diffusers.

At the same time, however, they're perfectly legal - at least according to the old regulations. The FIA "clarification" on the rules that was posted last week (or two), which incidentally only confuses the matter more instead of clarifying it, might actually put the Toyota and Williams diffusers on the illegal side, but may or may not also outlaw the BrawnGP diffuser - it is, as always, unclear.

Back