Automotive Design - A General Thread

2019_BMW_330i_M_Sport_2.0_Front.jpg

The only reason they feel safe doing it, though, is that big plastic grille stuck to the hood.

Still not fond of the way it bleeds over the top. With BMW and Lexus wrapping ever more and ever bigger "grilles" full of plastic blanking plates around body lines, are we getting to the point where these baroque decorative items finally morph into indented body lines than real fake grilles?

Sort of bringing this thread back as I'm curious as to what other people think. I can't help but notice that recently, it seems that automotive design has come back to wrap around taillights that go across the trunk. I can't complain as I do like some of them, but it seems to be the current trend. Sort of wondering what brought this all back.

Some examples:
2020-Hyundai-Sonata-Limited-prototype-rear-side-view.jpg

message-editor%2F1548155671350-992_exterior_rear_1.jpg

2021_lexus_is-350_r34_fe_612201_1600.jpg

2020-dodge-srt-durango-dual-exhaust.jpg.image.1000.jpg

It does feel like the Durango was one of the "earlier" ones to bring this back.

It's not just that too as it seems like there is a trim piece that tries to connect the taillights. Mostly chrome, but sometimes black. Especially on wagons. I love the XF Sportbrake and E-Class wagon's designs, but I can't say I'm a fan of the strip of trim across the rear.
jaguar-xf-sportbrake-tdv6-rear.jpg

2017-mercedes-e-class-wagon_5.jpg

bmw-2-series-gran-coupe-2020-05-blue--exterior--rear.jpg

My favorite door handle design has always been the Renault 5. I owned one back in 1989. It was originally my dad's car. The design was simplicity itself. Just an indentation in the body to slide your fingers into and a button on the door for your thumb. The only thing to remember was to use your left hand to open the door on the right, and your right hand to open the door on the left.

My favorite door handle design has always been the Renault 5. I owned one back in 1989. It was originally my dad's car. The design was simplicity itself. Just an indentation in the body to slide your fingers into and a button on the door for your thumb. The only thing to remember was to use your left hand to open the door on the right, and your right hand to open the door on the left.
Renault beating Corvette to the game.

Still not fond of the way it bleeds over the top. With BMW and Lexus wrapping ever more and ever bigger "grilles" full of plastic blanking plates around body lines, are we getting to the point where these baroque decorative items finally morph into indented body lines than real fake grilles?
Man, in hindsight... oof.

Sort of bringing this thread back as I'm curious as to what other people think. I can't help but notice that recently, it seems that automotive design has come back to wrap around taillights that go across the trunk. I can't complain as I do like some of them, but it seems to be the current trend. Sort of wondering what brought this all back.

Some examples:
2020-Hyundai-Sonata-Limited-prototype-rear-side-view.jpg

message-editor%2F1548155671350-992_exterior_rear_1.jpg

2021_lexus_is-350_r34_fe_612201_1600.jpg

2020-dodge-srt-durango-dual-exhaust.jpg.image.1000.jpg

It does feel like the Durango was one of the "earlier" ones to bring this back.

It's not just that too as it seems like there is a trim piece that tries to connect the taillights. Mostly chrome, but sometimes black. Especially on wagons. I love the XF Sportbrake and E-Class wagon's designs, but I can't say I'm a fan of the strip of trim across the rear.
jaguar-xf-sportbrake-tdv6-rear.jpg

2017-mercedes-e-class-wagon_5.jpg

bmw-2-series-gran-coupe-2020-05-blue--exterior--rear.jpg

I've also noticed this trend happening. I do think the first modern car to start the trend was the Dodge Durango which came out in 2010 and then the Dodge Charger also received a similarly designed taillight. But if you think about it more, the Dodge Challenger, which was revived in 2008, also has the straight light bar which was a design feature on the original Challenger. Dodge's decision to have a unified design language most likely caused this change in the industry.

However, I think the car that most influenced the trend was the Chiron which was first revealed in 2016, 4 years ago.

988d65db821a5fd2c59d833fad423052.jpg

After doing some digging, I found two Jalopnik articles dating back to 2018 which mentioned that the design characteristic is called the heckblende which is German for "rear cover". However this term was used for the designs that did not light up, like those from the 80s.

https://jalopnik.com/this-thing-has-an-actual-name-1826419841

https://jalopnik.com/heckblende-taillights-are-so-hot-right-now-1830885780

porsche-930-turbo-01.jpg

As an interesting aside, the 911 has always had the heckblende, even after the 993, however, only for the 4S models

Porsche-911-996-Carrera-4S-C4S-Basalt-Black-For-Sale-OPC-History-4WD-29-8643.jpg

AC_8738-800x534.jpg

DSC05868-28-2000x1336-2000x1336.jpg

Obviously, now with the 992, the main design feature is the heckblende

maxresdefault.jpg

And now their whole line up is moving to this design trait to unify the brand

macan_2018-_861.jpg

Here are some more notable cars that use the heckblende now and with their own variations of the design

rivian-r1t-truck-24.jpg

2019-Toyota-Avalon-rear.jpg

2020-honda-civic-coupe-rear-view-carbuzz-596381.jpg

lucid-air-rear-1920.jpg

CR-Cars-Inline-2020-Kia-Soul-r-4-19

2019-Mitsubishi-Eclipse-Cross-rear-quarter.jpg

2019-audi-a8-rear-3qtr-700x500.jpg

rear%20view%20Audi%20A7%20Prestige%20quattro%202019_2.jpg

Audi-Q8-rear-1.jpg

18-08-27-lexus-ux-rear-driving.jpg

2020-Lincoln-Corsair-rear-1.jpg

2017-lincoln-continental-exterior-010.jpg

2020-bmw-7-series-hybrid-rear-view-carbuzz-584160.jpg

2020-Kia-Forte3_o.jpg

2019-Kia-Stinger-GT-Atlantica-Rear_o.jpg

2019-Aston-Martin-Vantage-Color-White-Stone-Rear-Three-Quarter-Wallpaper.jpg

02-Aston-Martin-DBX_15.jpg

It has completely taken over the industry. In my opinion, I think it looks quite nice, especially when it completely lights up. It gives the car a striking (pun intended) look, especially at night, from a distance. However, the designs that do not light up, such as those on the Soul and Eclipse Cross, look incredibly cheap looking, especially when they're somewhat translucent.

Another design trend that's been going on that I have noticed (and absolutely despise) are headlights that have two main housings, but I'll make a seperate post about it later

2019-hyundai-santa-fe-ultimate-20t_front_1542666229_700x467.jpg

Last edited:
2659728301_f068da0161_b.jpg

The full panel is illuminated. There are certainly others from the period, and even earlier, but the full-width rear lighting of the '66 plays a not insignificant part in my appreciation for fourth generation Thunderchickens.

image-asset.jpeg

Last edited:
I think the full-width lights are one of those cyclical things. At some point when the market is saturated with them, it won't look fresh anymore and somebody will incorporate a separate tailight design into their cutting edge concept car and this will start to look dated. I happen to like the look...but I'm not sure I would if every car on the market had them.

Passed a Stagea on the way home. Kind of appropriate tailights are mentioned. I like this model.

images (26).jpeg

In the metal, the tailights look cool.

Some other vertical tailights look sharp. The Transit lights are too cool. Keep forgetting it's a Ford each time I see one.
images (27).jpeg

These lights cover so much real estate when changing a globe.
images (28).jpeg

Never realised just how high the Focus lights are.
images (29).jpeg

I think it's the older Citroen DS, had the indicators on the tail of the roof. Pretty clever as well.
Edit:
images (30).jpeg

I think vertical taillights are usually a hit or miss. On the Volvo XC90, they look quite classy, though on the new Mitsubishi Pajero, it's not the best looking design choice.

upload_2020-7-4_11-33-47.png

I saw a YouTube video where a car designer was commenting on a recent concept. It was a good review of the design, but he complained about the car having side mirrors instead of cameras and that’s something I don’t agree with.

Maybe it’s because I’m expecting cars to have side mirrors, but I think that without them they would look weird, kind of like a dog without ears. From a technical point of view, the side mirror is also a great solution. It’s simple, very few components that could break, doesn’t rely on electricity to operate. And since side mirrors is a basic safety feature of the car, those qualities are valuable.

Side mirrors may give the car a bit more aerodynamic drag, but at road legal speeds it’s very small anyway.

By comparison, a camera/display system adds complexity to the design, which by default makes it a worse design. That is, unless the camera system would provide benefits that would compensate for the added complexity.

The only real benefit I can think of is a scenario where someone behind you is using high beams, in which case the screen wouldn’t blind you as much as the mirror would.

Are there any other benefits to using cameras instead of mirrors?

I saw a YouTube video where a car designer was commenting on a recent concept. It was a good review of the design, but he complained about the car having side mirrors instead of cameras and that’s something I don’t agree with.

Maybe it’s because I’m expecting cars to have side mirrors, but I think that without them they would look weird, kind of like a dog without ears. From a technical point of view, the side mirror is also a great solution. It’s simple, very few components that could break, doesn’t rely on electricity to operate. And since side mirrors is a basic safety feature of the car, those qualities are valuable.

Side mirrors may give the car a bit more aerodynamic drag, but at road legal speeds it’s very small anyway.

By comparison, a camera/display system adds complexity to the design, which by default makes it a worse design. That is, unless the camera system would provide benefits that would compensate for the added complexity.

The only real benefit I can think of is a scenario where someone behind you is using high beams, in which case the screen wouldn’t blind you as much as the mirror would.

Are there any other benefits to using cameras instead of mirrors?
I think this discussion has come up before about cars sans mirrors.

Today's cars the greenhouse is limited in side and rear visibility. No doubt due to safer cars. If we look at a BMW 2002 and even a 2-series. The 2002 pillars are so thin. The seats allow for much more movement. Yes, it's a safety issue in a collision and also when driving quickly. The security of the 2-series buckets are like race seats in comparison.

The 2002 doesn't need mirrors. The 2-series couldn't do without them. Would cameras in a 2002 benefit that driver? Probably not. Sideview cameras in a 2-series may be an expected f ature in the future. I feel driver's spend more time looking ahead than checking side to side and looking behind. Cameras work for those type of drivers today and tomorrow.

I always look in my mirrors, side to side, aware of cars way ahead, far behind and near, anticipating flow of traffic, etc. A camera is probably more of a feature for drivers that aren't as physical behind the wheel.

I don't have a problem if mirrors go away.

I think the main benefit to side view cameras is aerodynamic but on the Honda E they also have a hydrophobic coating which means the view is always clear, even in heavy rain.

Saying that, I would have thought you could do the same to a mirror.

I think the main benefit to side view cameras is aerodynamic but on the Honda E they also have a hydrophobic coating which means the view is always clear, even in heavy rain.

Saying that, I would have thought you could do the same to a mirror.

A potential risk is condensation behind the lens though, which would quickly remove all visibility.

Here’s an article I found on the subject: https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2019/09/car-cameras-are-replacing-mirrors-and-theyre-kind-of-rubbish/

Another popular trend I've noticed with recent designs is manufacturers placing model emblems in the center. Sometimes it works, but other times it doesn't.

I feel like it's decent on the current Camry:
2018-toyota-camry-xse-v6-rear-2.jpg

But it looks rather tacky on the new MK8 GTI.
2021-golf-gti-09.jpg

Seeing the Camry and GTI rear ends I'm reminded of something...I really dislike mainstream cars with flamboyant exhausts. Does a Camry really need quad exhausts? That used to be the reserve of really high end stuff. And the Golf...come on...it's an inline 4...one bank of cylinders, one merged collector. Dual exhaust doesn't even make sense! I really like asymmetrical exhaust for cars with a single cylinder bank. Some examples:

Elantra Sport
2017-Hyundai-Elantra-Sport-Rear-02.jpg

ND
rear-spoilers-mazda-miata-mx-5-factory-lip-no-light-spoiler-2016-and-up-1_1024x1024.jpg

G70 (4-cylinder version)
Genesis-G70-2.0T-Sport-RWD-2019_9.jpg

They look purposeful and well coordinated. It's an exhaust - it serves a purpose, but it's not overemphasized to the point of absurdity. The twin tips in these examples give a little more visual weight without looking fussy. A single tip like the ILX can look a bit...flaccid

2020-acura-ilx-rear-view-carbuzz-549497.jpg

Eh...if they're visible, I prefer dual tips on modern cars. That Acura looks awkward with the single tip. It's not likely to be a necessity, and in many cases it's probably limited to the outlet side of a muffler with a single pipe running the length of the car. That said, I don't need them to be visible on modern cars.

On a related note, I really don't like center exits. I don't like them on anything.

Edit: Oops, I'm here misreading things. That latter bit stands, but don't take the former as any kind of rebuttal.

On a related note, I really don't like center exits. I don't like them on anything.

Completely agree.

Except on the car I own. :lol: Seriously I've tried to imagine how my Box would look without center exhaust and I just can't. I actually do like it on the Mini as well. But like the Focus ST or Veloster Turbo or Civic SI/R? No thanks.

They should’ve made the hood sort of like the one piece hood on the E-Type.
upload_2020-8-24_14-37-28.jpeg

But of course, with today’s bumpers, they could’ve tried a similar method like what GM did with the Saturn Sky and hide the panel line by designing it against the grille.
upload_2020-8-24_14-43-43.jpeg

upload_2020-8-24_14-45-51.jpeg

Last edited:
This video popped up on my feed and I instantly recoiled upon seeing the hood shut line on the new F-Type. I can't believe manufacturers think this type of trash is ok.

c38ab0c908a0e1c2ef58a1d0324693ddx.jpg

Reminds me of how bad it was on the F30 3-Series.
rw-carbon-fiber-bmw-f30-k-style-front-lip-8.jpg

And the new 4-Series didn't do much better.
2021-bmw-4-series-3.jpg

2021-BMW-430i-Coupe-1024x554.jpg

Back