Automotive Facelifts - For Better or Worse

This is just my opinion, but I think many modern facelifts of cars are for worse. Here are a handful of examples of this:

2013 Accord

2016 Facelift

2014 Corolla

2017 Facelift

2015 Acura TLX

2018 Facelift

2013 Cadillac XTS

2018 Facelift

For worse: Dodge Durango

Pre Facelift
232339.jpg

Post Facelift
135138_20090320184417579.jpg

Not a facelift, that's a complete different platform. The 5th Gen Camaro used the Zeta, which was shared with things such as the Holden Commodore & Caprice. This uses the Alpha platform, which is shared with the current Cadillac ATS & CTS.

----

EDIT: I actually do have some opinions on such changes to cars.

For the better:
Nissan Silvia/240SX (S14)
I mean, I think the Zenkai looks fine, but it still feels a bit mundane. It makes me think of the Altima depending on what grill it has. The Kouki just looks sleeker and more like it means business.
65809_large.jpg

facelift
01w.jpg

I'm also going to say that I liked the 4th Gen Mustang more after its facelift. Faux airvents aside, the new edge imho looked more bold than the SN95.
1996_ford_mustang_coupe_gt_fq_oem_1_500.jpg

2001_ford_mustang_coupe_gt-premium_fq_oem_1_500.jpg

For worse:

4th Generation Chevrolet Camaro
What I thought of the Mustang facelift in its 4th Gen, the Camaro was the opposite of that. I remember posting the "catfish" camaro in the "Sexy and mean" car thread before, oh how silly I was. It was just a mistake Chevy made on the styling for the 4th Gen's facelift; it looks kinda silly with that grill and headlight combination.
5489110001_large.jpg

1999-chevrolet-camaro-z28-red-front.jpg

Last edited:
For worse: Dodge Durango

Pre Facelift
View attachment 673040

Post Facelift
View attachment 673041

Reminds me of the Dodge Magnum's facelift near the end of it's life.
From this:
2006_Dodge_MagnumSRT84.jpg

To this:
dodge-magnum-srt8-05.jpg

Chrysler really didn't know what to do around the 2010s. When they started doing those squared off headlight facelifts on almost all their cars.

Also...speaking of STI's. I much prefer the pre-facelift of the third gen over the facelift.
tokyo_subaru_wrx_sti_live_shots_008.jpg

121109977.jpg

Not a facelift. That's an entire new generation and platform.

:D:D
See?!?!? I don't know how you can tell a facelift from a new gen!
Well, that one is a facelift. The platform and chassis hasn't changed and they have similar body lines along the roof.
Anyway, I personally just go by what the manufacture lists as a different generation and if there's enough significant differences between the cars. Based on observation; a new generation of a car will usually have a different platform or chassis (or both) over the previous car. With that said, not every generation will have a new platform over the previous one. I.E. The Nissan Silvia S13, S14, and S15 can be considered different gens, but they have different platforms. The 4th gen Mustang has a modified platform of what was used on the 3rd Gen Mustang.

Either way, it comes down I suppose to how the manufacture sees it (I think). Last tip, when in doubt; refer to wikipedia I guess.

Ok, last chance of redemption:
Ford-Mustang-GT-0.jpg

2018_00052_01.jpg
👍 You got it.
Also, I was wondering when someone would post that.

Well with the F-series I posted you all said it was a new gen. So, I was thinking that all the cars I showed were new gens and not facelifts.

In short, I take things seriously most of the time :)

Well with the F-series I posted you all said it was a new gen. So, I was thinking that all the cars I showed were new gens and not facelifts.

In short, I take things seriously most of the time :)

Ah. Sorry about that, I just figured I'd correct you on that. The new F-150 is a new platform, especially with the all new aluminum body. Sometimes help to look up the model as whole and see what people call it. Wikipedia can help. (sometimes)

The Grand Cherokee really needed that! Even the regular one looked outdated before it got the facelift.

I kind of liked the pre-facelift of the last XKR.
JAGUARXKR-3469_3.jpg

The last facelift made it look...not that special.
2013-Jaguar-XKR-Coupe-Front-Three-Quarters-2.jpg

Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
2012-jeep-grand-cherokee-srt8---01.jpg

2015-jeep-grand-cherokee-srt-001-1.jpg
I dunno. The first looks better with the mail slot grill, over the second with exhaust tip styled grill. I think they balance better and worse. One looks better than the other or one looks worse. I can't call it.

I kind of liked the pre-facelift of the last XKR.
JAGUARXKR-3469_3.jpg

The last facelift made it look...not that special.
2013-Jaguar-XKR-Coupe-Front-Three-Quarters-2.jpg

The XKR-S went the opposite way with the update. Pre facelift looked a bit boring, with very little to differentiate it from the "regular" XKR
7863001.jpg

And the post facelift basically shoved it in your face about how special it was (the color might play a huge part of the feeling, though.)
2012-jaguar-XKR-S-front-three-quarters.jpg

Don't tell anyone but I think I'd rather have a facelifted XKR-S than an F-Type...

Back