Automotive Facelifts - For Better or Worse

Don't tell anyone but I think I'd rather have a facelifted XKR-S than an F-Type...

Me too. There's a black convertible one in my neighbourhood and it still looks great. It's not as compact and sexy as an F-Type, but it's also not constantly popping and banging.

I love the Crystal Blue, but it really highlights the jowls in the bumper design. I can't unsee that. :(

The XKR-S went the opposite way with the update. Pre facelift looked a bit boring, with very little to differentiate it from the "regular" XKR
7863001.jpg

And the post facelift basically shoved it in your face about how special it was (the color might play a huge part of the feeling, though.)
2012-jaguar-XKR-S-front-three-quarters.jpg

Don't tell anyone but I think I'd rather have a facelifted XKR-S than an F-Type...

I always liked Jaguar for their subtle elegance, I find the XKR-S and F-Type SVR to be too shouty. The spoiler on the F-Type SVR in particular looks tacky. Though, I do agree that I'd prefer the XKR-S to the F-Type.

Hard to believe I liked the original Dodge Charger SRT-8.
srt8coilovers001-jpg.1034033

But now it looks dull compared to the first and second facelifts.
2012-chrysler-300c-srt8-dodge-charger-srt8-feature-car-and-driver-photo-386591-s-original.jpg

2016_dodge_charger_sedan_srt-392_fq_oem_2_1280.jpg

For worse:
4th Gen Subaru Legacy
It's nothing major, but I just don't like how the lights look on the facelift. They just don't suit the front end's styling imo.
Before
234879.jpg

After
248223.jpg

Last edited:
For worse:
3rd Gen Subaru Legacy
It's nothing major, but I just don't like how the lights look on the facelift. They just don't suit the front end's styling imo.
Before
234879.jpg

After
248223.jpg

Fourth gen :)

Speaking of the third gen though, I wasn't a fan of the facelift:

Pre:

images-5.jpg

images-4.jpg

I've never actually seen that fascia before. I'm guessing it's an Oceania only thing?

I think so. It came in '01 with the introduction of the E Tune II:

10452001_200105.jpg

I've only really see Japanese market Legacys here so I'm not sure if the facelift continued elsewhere.

The AP2 S2000 had much better colors available too. Love the AP2 in Laguna Blue.

I'm torn between the RX-8's. I love the post facelift taillights, but the pre-facelift front end flowed a little better with the body.
mazda-rx-8-photo-9988-s-original.jpg

2009-mazda-rx-8-r3-photo-232690-s-original.jpg

The rear:
2008-Mazda-RX-8-rear-three-quarters.jpg

2010+Mazda+RX-8+Facelift+-+Rear+Side.jpg

To keep with the truck theme: Chevrolet Silverado
2015.7.13-Silverado-2.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

I hate the facelift on the Silverado. Not only are those lights blinding, but also those LEDs look like they were trying to jump onto the LED bandwagon of the early 2010s. Already see enough cheap aftermarket lights on those trucks.

They're everywhere where I live....

I hate the facelift on the Silverado. Not only are those lights blinding, but also those LEDs look like they were trying to jump onto the LED bandwagon of the early 2010s.

I had a GMC pickup behind me on the lane to the left. It blinded the crap out of me. Drivers side mirror was lit. At first I thought it was a semi-truck with some obnoxious lighting.

I had a GMC pickup behind me on the lane to the left. It blinded the crap out of me. Drivers side mirror was lit. At first I thought it was a semi-truck with some obnoxious lighting.

It gets worse with the "brodozer" lift treatment... I'm kind of okay with them on cars like the Corolla, but it really doesn't help with pickups and their lights at your eye level.

Edit: Forgot that this was talked about in another thread. The last generation XJ.
Jaguar-xj-super-v8-2005-jaguar-xj-super-v8-2005-photo-03-car-in.jpg

Nice and subtle, then...this:
76c7b6716d631b4e3ef3357e0a037df5.jpg

I used to love the pre facelift B8. Then the update came out...

I need to own one of these things. So beautiful.
F3D6498D-92BC-43D8-A3C3-8BC6C19711C7.jpg

92F5DA5D-0601-4704-95D1-5E26A024741B.jpg

I hate the facelift on the Silverado. Not only are those lights blinding, but also those LEDs look like they were trying to jump onto the LED bandwagon of the early 2010s. Already see enough cheap aftermarket lights on those trucks.

They're everywhere where I live....

I actually prefer the facelift, granted the first one set the bar so low that isn't saying much. I really don't know what's going on with the current generation of full-size trucks as they are all hideous. I'm afraid of what the new Ram will looks like if FCA ever gets around to making a new one.

I actually prefer the facelift, granted the first one set the bar so low that isn't saying much. I really don't know what's going on with the current generation of full-size trucks as they are all hideous. I'm afraid of what the new Ram will looks like if FCA ever gets around to making a new one.
Didn't they just come out with a new one? The one with all black rubber front with RAM on it? Or is that just a facelift?

Didn't they just come out with a new one? The one with all black rubber front with RAM on it? Or is that just a facelift?

Nope, that is just a sort-of facelift. Supposedly they will be coming out with their new one for the 2019 model year.

I don't get the design of the new grille.

Thankfully, you can still get the traditional crosshair grill.

I'll take the 'After' on every one of these, especially the GTV
The thing I find about the facelifted GTV is that the updated grille feels more disproportionate compared to the previous one, especially next to those circular headlights.
I can also see that the generally-cleaner look on the facelifted version lacks those "moustache" grilles next to the Alfa grille on the older one, but personally, I find that those add to the charm of said previous model.

As for the 156 and the 166, I feel that their facelifts change the character of both of the cars, but whereas I felt that the pre-facelift 166 had a bit of a sloppy execution in the styling department, I find that both the 156es pull off the look they're going for quite well.

I think the facelift on the Lincoln MKZ was a big improvement, and helped make the design more cohesive overall.

2013:

2017:

I think the facelift on the Lincoln MKZ was a big improvement, and helped make the design more cohesive overall.

2013:

2017:

The Mini-Conti. Both look better than the Zephyr did.

Too rounded:
View attachment 675207
Or too squared?
View attachment 675208
You be the judge.
Rounded yes, but it looks more natural than the other to me.

Turbo gave me an idea. The Lincoln Navigator's 4th generation is reportedly going into production tomorrow, so let's look at the only generation to have a proper facelift:

2007-2014
2007_lincoln_navigator_4dr-suv_ultimate_fq_oem_1_500.jpg

2015-2017 Refresh
2015_lincoln_navigator_4dr-suv_l_fq_oem_1_1280.jpg

Back