Avian Flu

• Thread starter s0nny80y
  • 89 comments
Now this is scary:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/08/p...int&adxnnlx=1128794728-0S/smm6vUAjSMARApFpuCQ
October 8, 2005
Bush Plan Shows U.S. Is Not Ready for Deadly Flu
By GARDINER HARRIS

WASHINGTON, Oct. 7 - A plan developed by the Bush administration to deal with any possible outbreak of pandemic flu shows that the United States is woefully unprepared for what could become the worst disaster in the nation's history.

A draft of the final plan, which has been years in the making and is expected to be released later this month, says a large outbreak that began in Asia would be likely, because of modern travel patterns, to reach the United States within "a few months or even weeks."

If such an outbreak occurred, hospitals would become overwhelmed, riots would engulf vaccination clinics, and even power and food would be in short supply, according to the plan, which was obtained by The New York Times.

The 381-page plan calls for quarantine and travel restrictions but concedes that such measures "are unlikely to delay introduction of pandemic disease into the U.S. by more than a month or two."

The plan's 10 supplements suggest specific ways that local and state governments should prepare now for an eventual pandemic by, for instance, drafting legal documents that would justify quarantines. Written by health officials, the plan does yet address responses by the military or other governmental departments.

The plan outlines a worst-case scenario in which more than 1.9 million Americans would die and 8.5 million would be hospitalized with costs exceeding $450 billion.

It also calls for a domestic vaccine production capacity of 600 million doses within six months, more than 10 times the present capacity.

On Friday, President Bush invited the leaders of the nation's top six vaccine producers to the White House to cajole them into increasing their domestic vaccine capacity, and the flu plan demonstrates just how monumental a task these companies have before them.

In the wake of Hurricane Katrina, the Bush administration's efforts to plan for a possible pandemic flu have become controversial, with many Democrats in Congress charging that the administration has not done enough. Many have pointed

to the lengthy writing process of the flu plan as evidence of this.

But while the administration's flu plan, officially called the Pandemic Influenza Strategic Plan, closely outlines how the Health and Human Services Department may react during a pandemic, it skirts many essential decisions, like how the military may be deployed.

"The real shortcoming of the plan is that it doesn't say who's in charge," said a top health official who provided the plan to The Times. "We don't want to have a FEMA-like response, where it's not clear who's running what."

Still, the official, who asked for anonymity because the plan was not supposed to be distributed, called the plan a "major milestone" that was "very comprehensive" and sorely needed.

The draft provided to The Times is dated Sept. 30, and is stamped "for internal H.H.S. use only." The plan asks government officials to clear it by Oct. 6.

Christina Pearson, a spokeswoman for Health and Human Services Secretary Michael O. Leavitt, responded, "We recognize that the H.H.S. plan will be a foundation for a governmentwide plan, and that process has already begun."

Ms. Pearson said that Mr. Leavitt has already had one-on-one meetings with other cabinet secretaries to begin the coordination process across the federal government. But she emphasized that the plan given to The Times was a draft and had not been finalized.

Mr. Leavitt is leaving Saturday for a 10-day trip to at least four Asian nations, where he will meet with health and agriculture officials to discuss planning for a pandemic flu. He said at a briefing on Friday that the administration's flu plan would be officially released soon. He was not aware at the briefing that The Times had a copy of the plan. And he emphasized that the chances that the virus now killing birds in Asia would become a human pandemic were unknown but probably low. A pandemic is global epidemic of disease.

"It may be a while longer, but pandemic will likely occur in the future," he said.

And he said that flu planning would soon become a national exercise.

"It will require school districts to have a plan on how they will deal with school opening and closing," he said. "It will require the mayor to have a plan on whether or not they're going to ask the theaters not to have a movie."

"Over the next couple of months you will see a great deal of activity asking metropolitan areas, 'Are you ready?' If not, here is what must be done," he said.

A key point of contention if an epidemic strikes is who will get vaccines first. The administration's plan suggests a triage distribution for these essential medicines. Groups like the military, National Guard and other national security groups were left out.

Beyond the military, however, the first in line for essential medicines are workers in plants making the vaccines and drugs as well as medical personnel working directly with those sickened by the disease. Next are the elderly and severely ill. Then come pregnant women, transplant and AIDS patients, and parents of infants. Finally, the police, firefighters and government leaders are next.

The plan also calls for a national stockpile of 133 million courses of antiviral treatment. The administration has bought 4.3 million.

The plan details the responsibilities of top health officials in each phase of a spreading pandemic, starting with planning and surveillance efforts and ending with coordination with the Department of Defense.

Much of the plan is a dry recitation of the science and basic bureaucratic steps that must be followed as a virus races around the globe. But the plan has the feel of a television movie-of-the-week when it describes a possible pandemic situation that begins, "In April of the current year, an outbreak of severe respiratory illness is identified in a small village."

"Twenty patients have required hospitalization at the local provincial hospital, five of whom have died from pneumonia and respiratory failure," the plan states.

The flu spreads and begins to make headlines around the world. Top health officials swing into action and isolate the new viral strain in laboratories. The scientists discover that "the vaccine developed previously for the avian strain will only provide partial protection," the plan states.

In June, federal health officials find airline passengers infected with the virus "arriving in four major U.S. cities," the plan states. By July, small outbreaks are being reported around the nation. It spreads.

As the outbreak peaks, about a quarter of workers stay home because they are sick or afraid of becoming sick. Hospitals are overwhelmed.

"Social unrest occurs," the plan states. "Public anxiety heightens mistrust of government, diminishing compliance with public health advisories." Mortuaries and funeral homes are overwhelmed.

Presently, an avian virus has decimated chicken and other bird flocks in 11 countries. It has infected more than 100 people, about 60 of whom have died, but nearly all of these victims got the disease directly from birds. An epidemic is only possible when a virus begins to pass easily among humans.

Lawrence K. Altman contributed reporting for this article.

Update on gov't awareness on the virus:

http://reuters.myway.com/article/20...2_RTRIDST_0_NEWS-BIRDFLU-USA-PENTAGON-DC.html

US mulls federal troops for bird flu quarantine
Email this Story

Oct 12, 3:23 PM (ET)

Google sponsored links
Stop Personal Bankruptcy - See if you qualify to reduce your debt up to 60% quick online results
www.FreshStartAmerica.com

Free Debt Management Help - Let our quick and easy Debt Wizard help you Lower your Debt payments!
www.LowerMyBills.com

By Will Dunham

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Pentagon is looking at the possibility of using federal troops to enforce a quarantine in the event of an outbreak of pandemic bird flu in the United States, a senior official said on Wednesday.

President George W. Bush said last week he would consider using the military to "effect a quarantine" in response to any outbreak of avian influenza, but provided few details.

Bush at the time also suggested he might place National Guard troops, normally commanded by state governors, under federal control as part of the government's response to the "catastrophe" of such a flu pandemic.

Paul McHale, assistant defense secretary for homeland defense, said quarantine law historically has been under the primary jurisdiction of states, not the federal government.

"And my expectation is that any quarantine measures that would be put in place would likely involve a substantial employment of the National Guard, probably under command and control of the governor of an affected state," McHale told a group of reporters.

"However, we are looking at a wide range of contingencies, potentially involving Title 10 forces (federal troops) if a pandemic outbreak of a biological threat were to occur," McHale added.

The H5N1 avian influenza virus has killed or forced the destruction of tens of millions of birds and infected more than 100 people, killing at least 60 in four Asian nations since late 2003.

Experts fear that the virus, known to pass to humans from birds, could mutate and start to spread easily from person to person, potentially killing millions worldwide. Experts have questioned America's preparedness.

McHale said he believed there would be a clearer understanding within a few weeks of the military role in response to pandemic bird flu as part of a broader federal response. Pentagon officials were meeting on Wednesday to discuss the department's role in a flu pandemic.

LEGAL BARRIERS

One issue that could face the U.S. government in the event of an outbreak is whether or how to cordon off parts of the country to prevent the disease from spreading.

The Posse Comitatus Act of 1878, enacted during the post-Civil War reconstruction period, prohibits federal military personnel from taking part in law-enforcement within the United States. But a president can waive the law in an emergency.

National Guard troops under the command of state governors are permitted to perform law enforcement duties, but would not be permitted to do so if they were put under federal control.

McHale noted that the military has been used only under extraordinary circumstances for domestic law enforcement and restoring civil order.

While not specifically referring to enforcing a quarantine, McHale said the Pentagon has active-duty federal military units on alert and deployable at the direction of the president "to deal with occurrences of massive civil disturbance." He did not identify the units.

On the topic of possible domestic attack involving biological, chemical or nuclear weapons, McHale said the government needs "a more robust civilian capability" to respond so the country is not exclusively dependent on the military.

McHale said the Pentagon is working to help make the Department of Homeland Security better able to make strategic plans for natural disasters or domestic attacks involving weapons of mass destruction. The department's Federal Emergency Management Agency was strongly criticized for its slow response to the Hurricane Katrina disaster on the U.S. Gulf Coast in August.

Do you guys think that due to recent events, that has exposed our vulnerability, that the bird flu is being over hyped?

What is fueling the hype and fear is the memory of the worldwide flu pandemic that killed, depending on whose body count you want to believe, between 20 million and 50 million people worldwide between 1917 and 1919.

Some are scared stiff that the bird virus could mutate into one like that. With the current global population, there's no telling how many could die. I have no idea how much their fear is, or is not, justified.

SARS didn't do much in western countries compared to the hype. I dunno, maybe if the media cries 'wolf' too many times eventually we'll become complacent eventually we will pay the price...

It was a very different world back in 1917 and 1919, we didn't exactly have the best understanding of how viruses spread, or much about appropriate hygene, quarantining etc...
I'm not sure a virus could have such a catastrophic effect these days.

That said, what's so special about this virus?

It's 'flu.

Sit in bed for five days with some Lemsip and chicken soup, sleeping 12 hours a day and watching crap daytime TV and you'll be fine.

Famine
It's 'flu.

Sit in bed for five days with some Lemsip and chicken soup, sleeping 12 hours a day and watching crap daytime TV and you'll be fine.

True. To the vast majority of us it will not be life-threatening at all. There will be a certain percentage, though, for whom it will be very dangerous. Hence the "two million" casualty estimate.

I was thinking better safe than sorry, but like James said, maybe they are crying wolf too many times, especially after SARS. As for the bird flu, I think I read that in China, over 50% of the cases were fatal? That was couple weeks ago though.

The reason why they say this flu can be fatal is because firstly we cannot control the source of the flu as it is carried in birds which fly from country to country and so when it does it out it will be a mass oubreak with 60% of a countries population being unable to work teherfore services that we take for granted might not be available whn it is needed the most and therefore there will be a high number of casualties.

Oh and likea6m5 has already stated it is 50% fatal.

I'm sure I'd be fine if I caught it, but I'd die if I had to watch 5 days worth of "Oprah".

Something that annoyed me:
Last time I caught a bad cold, I went to the shop and bought some Lemsip (as Famine just endorsed). On the telly that night, a scientific study had just proven that "Echinacia" did nothing for the human body. Proudly displayed (among many other things) on the Lemsip box was ECHINACIA!! I was sooo pissed...

It made me think, what else is in Lemsip that didn't really do anything for me that time I was sick?
There is:

>>Echinacia purpurea dried herb juice equiv. to fresh herb 2500mg - "Boosts Immune System" - yeah right!

>>Zinc sulfate monohydrate equiv. Zinc 6mg - "provides additional imune system support" - this is pretty vaugue, does it really? Care to fill me in Famine?

>>Valerian officinalis extract equiv. dry root (painful those dry roots :lol: ), "Aids sleep" - I wasn't having ANY trouble sleeping when I was sick and tired, thanks. Pointless for me.

>>Ascorbic acid (Vitamin C) 60mg - "Antioxident, free radical scavenger" - this is the first obviously helpful thing, pity I was already taking over 60mg of vitamin C anyway. As you can't use any more than 60mg at a time, this was nonetheless pretty pointless. I was also taking tablets for my heart condition that also contain antioxidents...

>>Garlic Oil equiv. to Allium sativum fresh bulb 1500mg (1.5g) - "Antimicrobial activity - works against germs" - righto, sounds suspiciously vaugue and "natural mediciney" like the echinacia. No idea if this is really helpful, is this proven scientifically at all? Help please Famine! (if you can be arsed)

So there you have it, most of whats in Lemsip is very questionable as to what it actually does. I recommend you only bother with the chicken soup if you get the bird flu (ironically from chickens), and just buy some vitamins.

I guess your Lemsip is different to ours.

Ours contains 650mg paracetamol and phenylephrine hydrochloride. No herbal crap.

they say that the bird flu will now hit GB in the next couple of weeks. And if it does indded happen to us it will then happen to the US unless they stop all flights between us and them.

Famine
It's 'flu.

Easy to say when you're the good side of 60.

I dunno, it does seem way overhyped but either way, we'll survive.

s0nny80y
http://www.cdc.gov/flu/avian/

I heard on TV that this strain of bird flu is different because the human immune system has never been infected by it so no matter how healthy you may seem to be, no one has an immunity from it.

Like all new bugs we get. Like most strains of influenza we get.

The immune system, if you're healthy to start with, works it out and provides you with immunity in around 24-72 hours. The rest of your illness is your immune system going mental and eradicating the little bugger that caused the problem.

2003 in Asia , right? &there were fatalities . So a) it has already mutated into a species crossover form b) it's occurence coincides w/ the whole SARS / Swine Flu thing , the bit about SARS having leapt up from pigs the way it would in , of course , asia .
There is a hype machine at the back of all this , and where there's a hype machine i smell an escaped rodent ...

Famine

The immune system, if you're healthy to start with, works it out and provides you with immunity in around 24-72 hours. The rest of your illness is your immune system going mental and eradicating the little bugger that caused the problem.
That's why I feel all cruddy after getting my flu shot a few days back.

Famine

That's why I don't fear flu. I hate it, but I don't fear it.

LONDON (Reuters) - The government plans to buy enough vaccine to protect the entire population in case a deadly bird flu virus develops into a pandemic strain capable of killing millions of people, the government said on Wednesday.

Chief Medical Officer Liam Donaldson said vaccine manufacturers are being invited to tender contracts to supply 120 million doses, enough for two shots per person, once the pandemic strain is known.

"A vaccine to protect against pandemic flu cannot be made until the new virus is known," Donaldson said.

"We're asking vaccine companies to gear up to supply us with pandemic flu vaccine even though at this stage we can't give them the strain, nobody can," he told a news conference.

The move would put Britain at the front of the line in getting a vaccine if a pandemic emerged.

Scientists believe a human flu pandemic is already overdue.

They are worried that the H5N1 bird flu virus that has been circulating in Asia since 1997, and has been reported in birds in Russia, Turkey and Romania, could evolve into a highly infectious strain in humans similar to the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic that killed as many as 50 million people worldwide.

Samples of a bird flu virus from a turkey in Greece are also being tested to see if it is lethal bird flu.

The H5N1 bird flu virus has jumped to humans and killed 60 people in Asia. Twice as many have been infected but so far it is not easily transmissible from person-to-person -- a prerequisite for a pandemic strain.

To become a pandemic strain the H5N1 bird flu would have to mutate on its own or mix its genetic material with a human influenza virus to become highly infectious in humans who would have little or no immunity against it.

SLEEPING CONTRACTS

An effective vaccine is the only measure that will defeat a human flu pandemic but it could take 4-6 months if a pandemic strain emerged to identify it and develop a vaccine.

Donaldson said the so-called sleeping contracts would be incentive for vaccine manufacturers to gear up to supply a vaccine because they would know they had the contract if a pandemic emerges.

"We regard pandemic flu as public health enemy number one and we are on the march against it," he said.

Several companies are working to develop a pandemic flu vaccine, including Sanofi-Aventis SA , GlaxoSmithKline and Chiron Corp.

The move is the latest in the contingency plans for dealing with a possible influenza pandemic. In March it announced that it was buying 14.6 million courses of the antiviral drug Tamiflu made by Swiss pharmaceutical giant Roche.

The stockpile, which will cost about 200 million pounds, will be completed by September 2006.

The drug reduces the severity of flu and is considered a first line of defence until scientists can develop a vaccine.

The European Commission has advised member states to stockpile antiviral drugs. Officials also plan to hold talks with the vaccine manufacturers.

Young_Warrior
...stuff...
I am not one for conspiracy theories, but is it possible someone in a lab is prodding this thing into mutating into the "pandemic" strain they are looking for so that a vaccine can be made ahead of time? I could see some scientist believing it is for the good of humanity.

EDIT: On thinking about this more I doubt it would work or any scientist would think it would since you can't guarantee that the mutation you created would be the mutation that naturally occurs. :dunce:

LONDON (Reuters) - A parrot that died in quarantine had the deadly H5N1 strain of bird flu that has killed at least 60 people in Asia, adding pressure on the European Union to ban all imports of live birds.

A spokeswoman for Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs confirmed on Sunday that scientists had found "the highly pathogenic H5N1 virus" in the parrot.

"The closest match is to a strain found in ducks in China earlier this year," the ministry spokeswoman said.

The parrot, imported from Suriname, South America, was part of a mixed consignment of 148 birds that arrived on September 16, the ministry said. They were held with another consignment of 216 birds from Taiwan.

All the birds were culled while in quarantine.

Debbie Reynolds, chief veterinary official, told reporters during a teleconference that the parrot likely caught the virus while in the quarantine centre where it was kept with the Taiwanese birds.

Her staff reviewed the global threat and determined "there is a high risk of further global dispersion of this virus".

As a result, Britain and others must increase their vigilance.

"There is a risk to the United Kingdom and this risk has increased," she said.

She said however that the finding did not affect Britain's "avian influenza disease-free status".

Reynolds said the parrot's tissue samples were mixed by mistake with another bird's so there may be two infected birds in the quarantine centre but that is not clear.

The H5N1 strain has killed more than 60 people in four Asian countries since breaking out in late 2003 in South Korea.

It has also reached European Russia, Turkey and Romania, tracking the paths of migratory birds.

H5N1 has triggered widespread concern because it can transfer to humans in some cases, although only if they have had prolonged and close contact with infected birds, and some experts fear it could mutate to transfer between humans.

ZZZ...

Do you know why the media is trying to hype this unnecessarily? The minute something goes wrong, the minute a person dies from this in the US, the media will blame President Bush.

The Flu, gas prices, terrorists, hurricanes, and now a deadly virus from birds. When will the media grow up?

Young_Warrior
:lol: bush get blamed for bird flu :lol: that would make my day :lol:
If it becomes a major problem in the US I am sure he will. We already have people claiming he has a hurricane machine and Spike Lee is making a documentary for HBO that claims that he ordered the levees in New Orleans to be blown during the hurricane so they could kill all the poor black people.

Will he get blamed for bird flu? Yes. He will get blamed for whatever the next problem in the US is as well as a few others around the globe.

Back