B-Spec - Absolutly rubbish driving.

• Thread starter GamerHugo
  • 165 comments
GamerHugo
Either I suck at giving commands or the driver is a 3 year old who cant even turn a corner without leaving the track. This normal for the beginning of B-Spec races?

Finished last but one.

Can't watch anymore to be honest, my 11 year old sister could race better than that.

It's a beginner and you need to level it up.

Also if you continually telling him to speed up or pass he will go into the red on his temperament meter and start making mistakes

I started my guy with a slightly tuned gallardo in the sunday cup :sly: it helps to have a good car, not an equal car! no rules against such a tactic you see 👍

Yep the B-Spec driver is a bit weak starting out but he will get better. I ended up letting him drive my game stop McLaren in the Sunday Cup after seeing how poorly he did in the car I used. So far my driver has won 8 out of 10 races but in every case needed a stronger car than what I have used.

It was pretty much the same in GT4 until you got some experience on different tracks and cars the B-Spec driver needed more car to win.

Best thing I found to do was make sure you give him enough car to take the lead and then tell him to pace it down a bit. He seems to calm down and drive pretty well once he is in front and crusing.

It's a beginner and you need to level it up.

Also if you continually telling him to speed up or pass he will go into the red on his temperament meter and start making mistakes

Ahh that'll be why I've had some problems too. I don't shut up nagging him, as soon as the timer runs out on one command, I'm giving the next. :ouch:

Yep the B-Spec driver is a bit weak starting out but he will get better. I ended up letting him drive my game stop McLaren

...I'd also give my driver one of my stealth cars if Play.com would hurry up and send me the codes.

is the B-spec is important ???

because I totally agree with u guys.... it is a complete rubbish ! ( 5 years ! for god sake )

if anyone know to play B-spec teach us !!

I put my level 1 driver in a moderately tuned M3 and for the first half of his first race in it he slammed into damn near every wall in sight and was constantly spinning out of control.
In the second and third races in the M3 (during the second he was still level 1) he made much fewer mistakes, even with no input from me other than one or two "decrease pace"s.

I don't know it's possible that he actually learned how to handle the car better even before leveling up, or if the tracks also made a big difference (all three were city courses in one of the beginner events)?

I'm no expert and there's a lot I don't really understand about it yet, but B-spec is going pretty well for me so far. Here are my thoughts from my own experiences - hope they're useful to someone, but don't take them as a definitive guide!

Pick the right driver - I went with the first option for my first driver, but found him so frustrating that I hired a second as soon as I could (B-spec level 5). My second driver has similar starting stats to the first, but has an ice cold temperament. This seems to be important when they have little skill - although he's in the red for most races he makes fewer mistakes, and at level 2 was winning races my original driver couldn't podium in at level 5, in the same cars.

Understand the commands - Increase and decrease pace are a little misleading. Although that's often their effect they actually seem to mean "try harder" and "calm down". Most of us have learned in our own driving that trying too hard leads to mistakes, and the same goes for B-spec Bob. If he's going off track or hanging out the back end of a RWD then you need to tell him to slow down, and if he's not using every inch of the track at the most demanding part of the lap you need to tell him to get a move on.

Pace commands last longer than the command timer - At first I thought that once the up arrow faded off the command button my driver would stop trying to drive fast and revert to his normal pace, so I spammed it at every chance. This doesn't seem to be the case - once you tell him to drive faster he'll try to keep driving at the new pace. Likewise if you tell him to slow down for a section he struggles with (eg first corner at London) he'll stay slow until you tell him to speed up again.

Don't overdo the overtaking - If you get the pacing right your driver can go from the back to the front of the field without a single overtake command from you. The command seems to tell him to really take risks to get past the car in front. I'm naturally cautious so I prefer not to use this at all. If you do want to use it, try to avoid it just before sections of track that your driver struggles with.

Pick the right car - Your driver will probably need a better car than you do - he's a genuine level 1 at the beginning, and most of us here haven't been that for a long time - but he should be able to win in a car that is close to the strongest AI cars. He will struggle, like many beginners, if you give him a car that's too demanding for the circuit or his abilities. I sent out a driver to try to win the AR Mini leg of the Sunday Cup in a RWD R32 Skyline, which resulted in a lot of driving sideways or across the grass - he won the same race easily in a much less powerful FWD car.

Hopefully that should help people get Bob off to winning ways!

Excellent Khaddar! that should help most people start off well and is actually what i would say as tips (though i've only done 8 races so far for b spec)

This is weird, my B-spec racer is slow but he has never been so bad as to drive off the course or anything. The first race I sent him into I gave him my chrome line Audi R8 and he didn't make one mistake! Grant it, he was VERY slow but other than that he was fine. Khaddar has a great post. I think giving multiple commands "stack" because I rarely give my driver more than one command per lap. If he hits a wall or seems to be about to lose it I tell him to slow it down and he's usually fine the next lap. I'd rather him lose than bang up my rides! :lol:

Khaddar, thanks for that great advice!
I cant stress rolling the right stats when choosing your new driver, just keep rolling new ones until you get the stats you think will work well. As Khaddar recomended, it seems that having your guy be on the cooler side works in your favor.

Thanks for the feedback guys :)

There's a couple of things I'd really like to know more about. Does anyone understand the arrows shown on the driver profiles? Both of mine have mostly had an arrow pointing right on a green background, but my original driver changed to top right on a blue background briefly last night.

I'm also curious about other people's thoughts on levelling drivers up. Does winning necessarily give the most xp? I entered my driver in a race where he stood no chance - the car I gave him was a challenge for me to win in - and he scraped around the back of the field before finishing last. I expected it to be a waste of time, but he got 430ish xp which I think is more than I've seen him get in any other race. Was it the experience of a new car, learning from a couple of nasty slides, or maybe just from racing against better opposition?

Finally I wonder what the advantages of a hot-headed temperament are. Surely it can't just be that calm is best, since we can all just generate new drivers until we get a calm one. Maybe those of us currently training baby Prosts will wish we had a Senna somewhere further down the line.

Help! cant use b-spec, made a driver, put him in a car and tried to start sunday cup under bspec and it said my driver didnt have enough bspec points! whats up with that?

I have run a few B-spec races and yes the starting drivers are complete noobs. I picked a driver that's a bit of a hothead because I would rather hold an aggressive driver back than constantly have to egg on a timid one.

And yes the starting driver definately needs a much faster car to win. In my first race my driver couldn't even pass a civic in 5 laps in a 260HP S2000. In the same race with the same car I was in the lead by the 3rd turn. I am sure he will get better, but for now it's like watching my grandmother drive.

I found that it is better to just let the driver do as he can and make sure the car is adequate. What I have noticed is that if I run similar cars to the AI he runs magnificent first laps with little direction but then the field catches up to him near the end.

I found that it is better to just let the driver do as he can and make sure the car is adequate. What I have noticed is that if I run similar cars to the AI he runs magnificent first laps with little direction but then the field catches up to him near the end.

Exactly my issue too, hot-headed or cool-headed dont matter, if they get infront they will cool down if you dont tell them anything, and others will catch up.

B-spec is tantalizing! My driver, a nice fellow named Larsen, is the most complete rubbish I have ever seen. He's now level 5 and struggles to win at AR Mini in the Sunday cup. No, wait, he actually hasn't been able to win that yet and that's using a 250 hp FD2 Civic Type-R...

I picked a calm guy, mid section of the blue side.

But still, very much fun!

I've experienced this too, a lap or two from finish, he sometimes seems to forget to hit the accelerator going out of a corner...

My B-spec driver just spent five laps battling with an MR2 in the Sunday Cup, and when I looked at the driver's name at the end of the race - "G. Freeman".

So bloody jealous. How long do you think i'd have to hammer the change name button to end up with my own Gordon?

Hey there fellas!

Uhm.. how should i put this? ...
Im getting my arse handed to me in the so called Lightweight K Cup.. I've been running this one like 20 times and the best my "driver" could do was 2nd. Im driving a Wagon R RR tuned to about 96 BHP which is basically 1/3 more than the opposition, should be an easy victory but this D. Hodge guy doesnt seem to be able to overtake, he's level 4 and its a level 1 race... so annoying >_<

You guys got any ideas? Should i go for a new car or something?

Cheers

I guess the good thing is that you can race the same series over and over and he'll keep earning experience.

My driver has finally started winning at level 5 but he still needs more car than the opposition , my 2nd driver on the other hand is hopeless , at level 0 if you give him more car than the opposition he can't handle it , although you get to see some good slidey fun happening :)

Its definitely worth getting the car choice right, I chose the Maclaren F1 Stealth car, pressed overtake as soon as the green light went on and then went to make my dinner. :)

I tried it out, level 0 driver, in my almost 600 HP M3... He did get off the track a couple of times but because the car is more powerful than the "noobs" he's racing against, i still won, no sweat.

I dont think you can actually start off with B-spec. Since the starting cars sucks big time for the stupid driver. Of course he might learn even when losing, and thus get better and better?

Its shocking at how many people are saying they have an issue. My driver is only lvl 4 and he hasn't lost a race yet.

Any tips?

I chose my driver to be not as fiery and pretty calm. Unfortunately, I must say I used the Murcielago Chrome line for some Sunday Cup races, but J. Cano didn't total the car and came through in one piece. I then used a Daihatsu in the Lightweight K Cup and the car had some upgrades but otherwise handled the field until he was too complacent near the end while leading. I used a Countach for the Classic Car race and he destroyed the field handily.

My advice: Don't command the driver constantly. Let the driver drive the car to see if he can get through the field without direction. In most cases, the car will determine how the driver does. If the car is great, the driver can be mediocre and will still win.

my B-spec driver's first few races was a paint to watch... now it's on level 4 and getting much better. giving "decease pace" commands sometime even help winning the race more than pushing him with "overtake" orders... at least he won't run off the track or bump into a wall and spin out as it happened at the beginning.

Back