B-Spec Grinder 2.5.2: Automate Remote Races

• Thread starter yonis
  • 4,266 comments
Thanks.. Very helpfull and nice feature.. How many credits will i earn over night?

If you have 6 drivers shared and your friends use them all the time and they all only run La Sarthe, you'll make about 3M cr / 24hr.

Safari in iPhone/iPad works fine with gran-turismo.com.

Never mind, I installed Opera and got in flawlessly with Android 2.2.

For some reason native browser on HTC Incredible is unable to log in to the PSN servers. Error: "Missing return URL parameter"

Do you have a break down of what the settings do and what sort of results you should expect when doing specific combinations? Explanation of terms such as "Threads" or "Reserve Delay", just to name a couple, would be beneficial

I want to give a group of close friends priority, but not alienate the rest of my friends.

What do I need to do so I can use an 2nd acct to boost my primary by only using those 6? What if I have other friends in that 2nd acct but want to exclude them?

Last edited:
However, my most favorable option so far is to rewrite B-Spec Grinder as a browser extension or Greasemonkey script, so I can piggyback on Polyphony's existing code for talking to their servers. This would exclude users of Internet Explorer, but I believe I can support Firefox, Chrome, Safari, and Opera in this approach, which would mean support across Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux.

Well, if that is your most favorable option, then I think that's the one you should go for.

I'm also looking to stretch my engineering muscles in other areas outside of Yahoo! Widgets. I've taken an interest in iOS/Android programming, which has spread my interest to native apps for Mac OS X and Windows as well. Developing a mobile app is particularly enticing because it would really let me learn a lot of new skills.

As for this, nobody keeps you from doing both. ;)

I, personally, wouldn't use a mobile app for this, though. Unless, of course, it's a remote app, that lets you remote into your remote race app. :)

Last edited:
its probably been asked, but Im having trouble
widget installed and connects....but it seems to just hand in "starting race"/"reserving drivers"
if I goto my drivers option, all my drivers have "missing" where their helmet icon should be.

I've been trying to run the widget lately, not nearly as much as I used to before the PSN outage, but it seems like I'm having more problems now.

Code:
2011.06.21 00:06:52.476: Resetting state.  Waiting for 0.016666666666666666 minute(s).  Will reauthenticate.
2011.06.21 00:08:30.013: == Widget loaded. ===========================
  Updating credits display.  Difference: 11,599,980
  Updating credits display.  Difference: 36,284,860
2011.06.21 00:08:41.363: RAW STATUS: Ready.
  Updating credits display.  Difference: 288,010
    Reserving first available driver with the least credits.  Name: V.Jean  Class: 40  Exp.: 592430  Credits: 675.620
    Reserving a friend's driver.  PSN: sonia-the-best-b-speccer-ever  Name: M.Jensen
    Reserving a friend's driver.  PSN: sonia-the-best-b-speccer-ever  Name: F.Eaton
    Reserving a friend's driver.  PSN: sonia-the-best-b-speccer-ever  Name: I.Madden
    Reserving a friend's driver.  PSN: sonia-the-best-b-speccer-ever  Name: B.Williams
    Reserving a friend's driver.  PSN: sonia-the-best-b-speccer-ever  Name: F.Bolton
  Server refused to reserve sonia-the-best-b-speccer-ever's driver even though it said it was free.
  Server refused to reserve sonia-the-best-b-speccer-ever's driver even though it said it was free.
    Reserving a friend's driver.  PSN: yonis-my-source-of-gt5-income  Name: E.Tran
    Reserving a friend's driver.  PSN: yonis-my-source-of-gt5-income  Name: P.Romero
    Reserving a friend's driver.  PSN: yonis-my-source-of-gt5-income  Name: Z.Meadows
    Reserving a friend's driver.  PSN: yonis-my-source-of-gt5-income  Name: O.Oh
    Reserving a friend's driver.  PSN: yonis-my-source-of-gt5-income  Name: V.Sexton
  Server refused to reserve yonis-my-source-of-gt5-income's driver even though it said it was free.
  Server refused to reserve yonis-my-source-of-gt5-income's driver even though it said it was free.
    Reserving a friend's driver.  PSN: Someone-Else  Name: G.Sun
    Reserving a friend's driver.  PSN: Someone-Else  Name: B.Gamble
    Reserving a friend's driver.  PSN: Someone-Else  Name: L.Ford
    Reserving a friend's driver.  PSN: Someone-Else  Name: S.Cooper
  Server refused to reserve Someone-Else's driver even though it said it was free.
  Server refused to reserve Someone-Else's driver even though it said it was free.
    Reserving a friend's driver.  PSN: Someone-Else  Name: M.Ferguson
    Reserving a friend's driver.  PSN: Someone-Else  Name: A.Stanton
    Reserving a friend's driver.  PSN: Someone-Else  Name: C.Auger
    Reserving a friend's driver.  PSN: Someone-Else  Name: B.Silvestri
    Reserving a friend's driver.  PSN: Someone-Else  Name: E.Carson
2011.06.21 00:10:37.691: Race has started.

I've tried multiple accounts and PS3's. Different countries, different thread specs. I'm running out of ideas.

As far as the future of the widget, personally I'd be happy with something as simple as a plain ol' .jar. I know you're a gui guru, but if it was compatible with running in just a console, I could run it on my server and have all the fun of that (nightly restarts, sync to svn, etc.).

To Neocodex:

The drivers' helmets are missing because of the latest 1.10 update.
Update your widget to v2.5.2

Do you have any friends' drivers in your 'Manage Drivers' list?

type_raver
Ive noticed in the MY FRIENDS DRIVERS, next to some of their names, theres a "?" symbol.

Why is that so and how do i change that (or get them to change it)??

Did you get an answer for this? I have one too showing the ?, it's my main account, but the only friends that one has is my 2 sub-accounts.

Did you get an answer for this? I have one too showing the ?, it's my main account, but the only friends that one has is my 2 sub-accounts.

I get this question super frequently, so I've added it to my FAQ.

I'VE NOTICED IN MY FRIENDS' DRIVERS, NEXT TO SOME OF THEIR NAMES, THERES A "?" SYMBOL.
This means that the Widget was denied access to that friend by Polyphony's servers. You'll see the same error if you log into the site proper. After you add a friend on PSN, both of you need to boot up GT5 so that Polyphony's servers know about it. After that, it can take a couple of hours before Polyphony's servers will sync up.

I just downloaded the widget and I've got a problem.

It loads up fine and i downloaded the yahoo widgets program too.

However, when it comes up with connecting to PS3... its taking forever to complete.
My comp and ps3 share the same internet connection
What to do?

Yonis, Regarding your future coding options.... For what it is worth I think you are right to move away from Yahoo widgets if it is becoming a coding dead end.

To reach the broadest audience / number of users across the widest range of platforms a browser based plugin has to be the way to go. With Firefox/Chrome/Opera it is straightforward for anyone to download and install the browser. They are all reliable and, as you say, all in continuous development. I think arguments that people will only use IE ever and it's being available on all windows machines are slightly specious. I don't see as there is much difference between installing Yahoo Widgets and a different browser app. To be using your Grinder now people have to have downloaded and installed Yahoo Widgets which isn't available on any machines as standard as far as I am aware. My guess is most users will be running your Grinder in whatever current or future form on a PC at home that is on 24/7. In which case the need for IE to be on every win pc tends to be less critical. Not likely to want (or be allowed) to run it 24/7 on your work PC after all :). If folks were happy to download Yahoo widgets and want to stick with IE then just download whatever browser you settle on for your plugin and only run the plugin on the browser. Stick to surfing on IE and never surf on <insert other browser here>.

Cheers Mike 8-{>

Thank you for being so supportive! 👍

I understand that there are some users who will always stick with IE and I totally respect that. The decision to not support IE is simply because there's no easy way for me to provide an extension for it. As soon as Microsoft allows browser extensions in IE written in JavaScript, I would seriously consider supporting it as well. The extension I'm considering writing would be largely agnostic of the browser it runs in.

I would continue to support the Widget if Polyphony updates things and it breaks, but for new features, you'd have to make the jump!

No IE is okay for me, but please at least include Firefox. If not, I can stay in the Dark Ages and use the widget.

First of all! Thanx for making this widget!!

I'm notising that when starting the widget it always pics 16 drivers, but after a while it only pics 5-6 drivers and pressing the "manage drivers" take a while before it loads everything.

Restarting the widget solves the problem, and it pics 16 drivers againg and when pressing the "manage drivers" it pops up pretty fast.

Is it something I can do to keep it in shape, picing 16 drivers every time.

Thank you for being so supportive! 👍

...I would continue to support the Widget if Polyphony updates things and it breaks, but for new features, you'd have to make the jump!

Yonis,

Are there any other multi-platform environments available to deploy your tool? Is Adobe Air an option?

Absolutely stonking app, btw! 👍

Is there a way of downloading the widget to my ipod? I'd like to grind overnight but not keen on leaving the laptop overnight. Currently running it whenever I have TV on.

I have the widget and a couple friends with GT5 drivers, but the widget doesn't show them in the 'Manage Drivers' menu. I'm not sure if they've logged on to the GT server since I got the widget, but when will they appear? Only after they've logged in again?

I have downloaded the widget and put 3 drivers as share with friends. however my grinder says reserving drivers, does this mean its working???

if not can someone tell me what i need to do to get it to work please

great idea hope i can get it to work

One more request for the Browser extension version.
But with all the junk hidden from displaying so making it purely for an auto driver and race selection only extension.
You can use the Browser its self in another window to look at driver stats.

Linux KDE does do desktop widgets. If you go stand alone route.

If you do an IDevice specific app you can release 2 apps
1 An advert funded Free version to make up the cost of the Idevices SDKs
2 as well as a pay for app..

Back