Backup your save on cloud?

• Thread starter sennafreak
  • 34 comments

sennafreak

(Banned)
I activated the cloud save option now that i'm a gold member (isn't that an austin power term? :))... and now, before i start playing i have the option to choose either my hard drive or my cloud to start.

I tought choosing the cloud, would make you continue your game, but saves your current progress on the cloud backup. However when i chose it i had to set the game's brightness again like when you first start it up alltogether.

This made me a little scared you'd have to start the whole game all over, loosing all your progress.

What is the best way to save your current progress on your cloud backup?
Please let me know, thanks in advance.

Too many horror stories about cloud saves being corrupted or lost.
Not going to bother. Have a HDD and a USB stick, things I can touch. Cloud = water. Water + electronics = bad.
Yes, I'm kidding about the water part.

Too many horror stories about cloud saves being corrupted or lost.
Not going to bother. Have a HDD and a USB stick, things I can touch. Cloud = water. Water + electronics = bad.
Yes, I'm kidding about the water part.

It seems you cant save your Forza data on a usb stick easily (tried it and couldnt manage, i had to format it first to make it xbox ready, and then it still didnt wanna copy the data, you could only "move" it).

It's a little stupid MS made it that hard to be able to backup your saves...

So i shouldnt bother with cloud as it more or less sucks then?

Yeah, its pretty stupid that there is no way to make a backup of your data. I know its to stop some cheaters, but hey, it doesnt hurt anyone, if someone wants to cheat by copying cars from one profile to another then restoring, then who really cares? Let people play the way they want.

What it does hurt is the guy that has put hundreds of hours into a game legitimately and then has a HDD fail and cant have a backup.

... but hey, it doesnt hurt anyone, if someone wants to cheat by copying cars from one profile to another then restoring, then who really cares? Let people play the way they want.

Well, you must be forgetting about that rather significant part of the game that is the auction house and the associated Forza "economy" system. If we can just duplicate our garages many times over, the auction house features and credit system become quite useless.

I agree, finding some way to have a backup would be very reassuring; but, until Turn 10 can discover a way to accomplish this, I don't think going the route of GT5 and its duplicating capabilities is an appropriate solution.

Yeah, its pretty stupid that there is no way to make a backup of your data. I know its to stop some cheaters, but hey, it doesnt hurt anyone, if someone wants to cheat by copying cars from one profile to another then restoring, then who really cares? Let people play the way they want.

What it does hurt is the guy that has put hundreds of hours into a game legitimately and then has a HDD fail and cant have a backup.

Disagree.

If they're playing by themselves with no contact with the community, you might be justified in arguing that people should play how they like. Once you participate with others, even if just Storefront or auction house, cheaters ruin the game's economy.

In the fifth grade, my teacher had a sort of reward system where good grades earned Lloyd bucks (teacher's name was Lloyd) which could be cashed in during weekly auctions for stuff. One group of kids counterfeited heaps of Lloyd bucks regularly, so they took most of everything, leaving honest students with nothing.

Now, imagine me as an honest player trying to use my earned, legitimate credits to buy cars on the auction house but cheaters just go around dumping ten times the value of cars without batting an eye and now I get squat because I played right. What about players jacking up all the prices of every little thing in Storefront just because they know cheaters will have no problem dumping 50,000 on a basic vinyl group of just two number layers or whatever bullcrap. Now all the free stuff and stuff at 1k or 5k has become 50k just because, so legitimate credits now don't go as far as they used to.

I agree tough, the auction house is a well tought out feature, which would immediatly be rendered irrelevant if people start duplicating on USB sticks like you can do in GT5.

This would tumble the second hand market and devalue all the cars.

T10 should find a way you can back up your save, but then if your HDD crashes you can recuperate the game data, with the exception that you can't auction the cars that were in your garage anymore.

I still dont see the issue, its a GAME, its not like the world economy would crash. If people are buying things at overvalued prices, then there is nothing keeping you from selling things to them at overvalued prices, thereby getting all those credits.

Its already screwed in that they allow you to have 99 million credits or something unlike in GT where there is a limit. It can already skew the values, how is a guy just starting out supposed to compete on the auction house with someone that has 90 million?

People already transfer credits around by making a Chevy spark worth something like a million credits for the other person to buy.

Its just a game and could easily be controlled by having restrictions like no car can sell on the auction for more than it costs in the dealership, or cars more than a million credits cant be traded, things like that. It would control the illegal sales you seem to think would happen and yet still allow those that want to have a backup to have it.

Not allowing backups is just a lazy way of controlling cheaters without putting any real thought into how to do it.

I didn't try out myself, but can't you move your savegame on a usb stick, connect it to a computer and copy it there, instead of trying to copy it on your XB?

I didn't try out myself, but can't you move your savegame on a usb stick, connect it to a computer and copy it there, instead of trying to copy it on your XB?

First xbox asks you to format a USB stick so it is ready to use..., and then the main game data (containing your progress, and cars) cannot be copied, only "moved", if i'm not mistaken.

I wonder what happens then, if you move it does it dissapear from your hard drive? Anyway then you would be able to pass the copy to a pc. And copy it there if possible and move the data from the USB back on your harddrive. Anyone tried that before?

I still dont see the issue, its a GAME, its not like the world economy would crash. If people are buying things at overvalued prices, then there is nothing keeping you from selling things to them at overvalued prices, thereby getting all those credits.

No, the world economy wouldn't crash, but the Forza economy would crash, and that's far worse! ;)

Its already screwed in that they allow you to have 99 million credits or something unlike in GT where there is a limit. It can already skew the values, how is a guy just starting out supposed to compete on the auction house with someone that has 90 million?

It's 999 Million they allow you to have, I mean, in cash that is. And no, someone who's just starting out has no way to compete with someone who's got 90 Million. But, that's just fair enough if the guy who's got 90 Million got these legit. I don't see the issue there. I don't see why people starting out should be able to compete with people who've spent months to build up a fortune. The issue arises if the funds were glitched, because that means that someone who's spent ages to build her/his wealth cannot compete with people who are just starting out and have glitched. And that's everything but fair.

People already transfer credits around by making a Chevy spark worth something like a million credits for the other person to buy.

And there's nothing wrong with that as long as the money isn't glitched.

Its just a game and could easily be controlled by having restrictions like no car can sell on the auction for more than it costs in the dealership, or cars more than a million credits cant be traded, things like that. It would control the illegal sales you seem to think would happen and yet still allow those that want to have a backup to have it.

Restrictions such as these would pretty much ruin the Auction House.

Not allowing backups is just a lazy way of controlling cheaters without putting any real thought into how to do it.

That, I wholeheartedly agree with. Surely, there must be a way to do backups without opening the door to more cheating, no?

I guess I still dont see the issue. I dont care how someone got their money that I'm competing against. I mean even in everyday life I have to deal with and compete with people that have acquired things through less than honest means at times.

It doesnt affect my game in any way. I race or compete against who I compete against, if they get more fun and satisfaction out of obtaining credits without earning them, fine with me, I'd rather play the game as intended, no skin off my back if you dont.

And restrictions dont ruin anything. I mean, if someone is buying a car from you on the auction house for more than it costs in the dealership than something is funky anyway. Why would I buy a car from you for more than I can simply buy it in game unless the two of us are trying to pull something?

Anyway, agree to disagree, I just think it hurts more people than the alternative would.

First xbox asks you to format a USB stick so it is ready to use..., and then the main game data (containing your progress, and cars) cannot be copied, only "moved", if i'm not mistaken.

I wonder what happens then, if you move it does it dissapear from your hard drive? Anyway then you would be able to pass the copy to a pc. And copy it there if possible and move the data from the USB back on your harddrive. Anyone tried that before?

:lol: That's what I tried to say 👍

I may be wrong, but I think someone said that the formatting of the USB drive for the xbox makes it unreadable by the pc.

Again, I havent tried it though so I might be wrong.

I guess I still dont see the issue. I dont care how someone got their money that I'm competing against.

Well, then maybe you don't have an issue. But are you saying just because you don't have an issue, you can't understand why others do?

If, with competing, we're referring to competing for a car in the Auction House, surely, you can at least understand why some people have an issue here, or?

It doesnt affect my game in any way. I race or compete against who I compete against, if they get more fun and satisfaction out of obtaining credits without earning them, fine with me, I'd rather play the game as intended, no skin off my back if you dont.

So, it doesn't affect your game? And that's why you can't see the issue? I, for one, can see the issue quite clearly, because it does affect my game, and immensely so. If there is a car I really really want, and I bid just about everything I have, and worked hard for, someone who's just glitched her/his credits can just outbid me and take the car home. It's no drama for them to spend whatever it costs, because they can just glitch some more credits. It might not affect you, but does that automatically mean that you can't see the issue?

And restrictions dont ruin anything. I mean, if someone is buying a car from you on the auction house for more than it costs in the dealership than something is funky anyway. Why would I buy a car from you for more than I can simply buy it in game unless the two of us are trying to pull something?

I've paid more than a hundred times the dealership price for certain cars, because that's what I think they're worth. There's absolutely nothing funky about it. Certain artwork attracts high prices. Unfortunately, it also attracts credit glitchers. I don't mind in the least to lose out to someone who's got more legit credits than I do, because they've worked for it, but I do mind losing out to people who've glitched. And if people can easily make heaps of credits without effort by glitching, it does ruin the economy in the same way as if people could just print money. The people who can print money will get it all, and the people who've earned their money legit will lose out. If you don't have an issue with that, fine, but I don't understand why you can't see the issue some of us are having with this. As for these restrictions, these may not ruin anything for you, but it ruins a large part of the Auction House other people are using. The Auction House is not just used to resell second hand cars, you know, it's where a lot of artists auction of their limited edition artwork. And that part would be ruined by the restrictions you've proposed, and at least for me, it would ruin an important part of the game.

Anyway, agree to disagree, I just think it hurts more people than the alternative would.

And I'm sure there are better options to allow for backups than to impose restrictions which would ruin certain aspects of the game.

I totally understand your arguments, I still see no issue, its a game for gods sake.

No ones life should be so miserable just because they cant get some special virtual car with a silly paint job on it in a video game because someone else created some free fake money.

I wont say another word on it.

I would not even mess with that cloud with Forza 4. The Forza saves are always very delicate in each one of their games.

I totally understand your arguments, I still see no issue, its a game for gods sake.

No ones life should be so miserable just because they cant get some special virtual car with a silly paint job on it in a video game because someone else created some free fake money.

Umm, by that logic, what's the point of having a backup? No one's life should be so miserable just because they've lost all their game data. It's not that it matters, it's a game, for God's sake!

Umm, by that logic, what's the point of having a backup? No one's life should be so miserable just because they've lost all their game data. It's not that it matters, it's a game, for God's sake!

Well it does matter if you have put in countless hours over the last months or years, collecting all the cars, winning races, choosing designs and setting up tunes, and then loosing it all in one black hole.

Like writing your memoirs and when you finish the last page, they get shredded in the ventilator...

Ok, couple of months later and i switched to cloud :).

I read quite a bit on the net, so i would know how it works, what i need to do, and what do i need to keep in mind, so i wouldn't screw it up and jeopardize my precious gamesave.

A lot of newcomers (myself included), don't really understand how to work with it, which in turn creates those horror stories, as people don't know what they are doing.

Here's a step by step guide to have your game saved on the cloud, so in case you have a HDD failure, you won't lose your data:

1- activate the cloud option.
2- Go to storage, and move your gamesave (and all other Forza saves which start with your username), from your HDD to the cloud space you just opened up on your console (= still a part of your HDD, but reserved for cloud now).
3- Once moved, and synchronized start the game, and when Forza 4 starts up and asks you where you wanna save, you select the cloud drive (as your game data is now there and not on the HDD anymore).
4- Start playing like you normally do. The game will save to the cloud part on your HDD automatically (just the same as it would to the normal HDD).
5 - After you finished playing, and return to the Xbox home menu, your cloud drive reserved on your HDD, will synchronize with the Cloud Server. Basicly this means that a copy of your gamesave is uploaded to a external server.
6- The synchronizing part will automatically happen when you stop playing, you can see it happen if you select your active downloads on the xbox menu. It takes a minute or 5 maximum. Even if you stop playing and switch of the console, it will remain in a low power mode and keep uploading to the server. Ofcourse should you switch of the electricity or stop the internet connection it will pause, but continue uploading AKA synchronizing after this is restored again.
7; If for whatever reason the synchronizing did not go well, and you get the message that the game and cloud are out of sync, which gamesave you want to select, select the gamesave as it is more recent than the cloud. Cloud will upload to the server afterwards anyway, and you risk loosing your latest data should you select the cloud in that instance. (I didn't have this happening, but read about it so i should mention this just in case).

Ok, couple of months later and i switched to cloud :).

I read quite a bit on the net, so i would know how it works, what i need to do, and what do i need to keep in mind, so i wouldn't screw it up and jeopardize my precious gamesave.

A lot of newcomers (myself included), don't really understand how to work with it, which in turn creates those horror stories, as people don't know what they are doing.

Here's a step by step guide to have your game saved on the cloud, so in case you have a HDD failure, you won't lose your data:

1- activate the cloud option.
2- Go to storage, and move your gamesave (and all other Forza saves which start with your username), from your HDD to the cloud space you just opened up on your console (= still a part of your HDD, but reserved for cloud now).
3- Once moved, and synchronized start the game, and when Forza 4 starts up and asks you where you wanna save, you select the cloud drive (as your game data is now there and not on the HDD anymore).
4- Start playing like you normally do. The game will save to the cloud part on your HDD automatically (just the same as it would to the normal HDD).
5 - After you finished playing, and return to the Xbox home menu, your cloud drive reserved on your HDD, will synchronize with the Cloud Server. Basicly this means that a copy of your gamesave is uploaded to a external server.
6- The synchronizing part will automatically happen when you stop playing, you can see it happen if you select your active downloads on the xbox menu. It takes a minute or 5 maximum. Even if you stop playing and switch of the console, it will remain in a low power mode and keep uploading to the server. Ofcourse should you switch of the electricity or stop the internet connection it will pause, but continue uploading AKA synchronizing after this is restored again.
7; If for whatever reason the synchronizing did not go well, and you get the message that the game and cloud are out of sync, which gamesave you want to select, select the gamesave as it is more recent than the cloud. Cloud will upload to the server afterwards anyway, and you risk loosing your latest data should you select the cloud in that instance. (I didn't have this happening, but read about it so i should mention this just in case).
Thanks for that i have been wanting to try this myself.:cheers:

Hey while we're on the topic, what's a good USB stick to get for installing games? Something that's as fast as an X360 HDD, same specs and all.

Thanks.

Interesting question. My cloud saved games says 'offline' yet my messages work, I can see friends. The router and internet is all good.

Any thoughts?

Also:
Sorry, cloud storage isn't available.
Status code: (807b01f7) ???

Seems my cloud saved game for FM4 is gone. I have to start over.

I did backup my liveries and decals.
When I start over will I be able to load them into the new game??

Hopefully I will be able to get me car packs back.

As I've suggested for GT, they should just have a free mode. No credits, no unlocking of anything. You have it all from the start (no arcade mode does not accomplish this). But you can't earn any credits from the storefront/auction house. You can make free decals or car designs though.

Since this is back up and someone else has lost a game again, I'll repeat and say something needs to be done about this.

I've now played the game much more and I do understand the arguments, but I will say again, that I think the amount of people that lose their games and months and months of hard work is far greater and more important than those that cant buy a car on the auction house because they have less money than another.

Someone having to replay months and months of work to retrieve what they lost is much more inconvenient than someone not owning some expensive car with a fancy paint job.

just my opinion.

I have to agree with you. I just got setup with forza and I cannot believe that the gamesave can not be backed up on a system from a company that is REALLY not known for stable software etc. Even in the beginning of GT5 you could at least still backup your HDD to protect against corrupt files/or hdd failure. Of course the xbox won't let you do that either so if the software makes a corrupt gamesave file or the HDD fails you are done.

Seems like you should simply be able to use a previous save, and if you revert to it, all your cars in the auction house are removed from there. It could be an in-game function, reverting to a previous gamesave. Would that not prevent duping?

At the very least, have a backup of the gamesave on the console like GT5 now does in case the main one gets corrupted.

You want to talk even more crazy, reading over on the official forza forums, you can get your forza gamesave banned if you RECEIVE credits from someone who has cheated. How are you suppose to know someone else has dirty credits?? Funnier still is how you can't talk about any of this on those official forums lol. Over there its more like "This is how things are and you will like it..." Just, wow.

Back