Baldur's Gate 3

• Thread starter Jtheripper
  • 116 comments
The dragon dudes look so cool it makes it hard for me to use any other race. Can't agree with offing Lae'zel though, she's my girl - I'm tempted to slaughter Shadowheart instead, her snarky voice is winding me up.

The game has finally clicked for me, it's such a playground, so many ways to cause mayhem.

One final restart though - having met most of the potential companions and seeing the others on Tiktok I've realised that my party will turn into a total sausagefest if I stick with a male MC. It's going to Lae'zel/Karlach and my new lady monk smashing the crap out of people, and then some combo of Astarion (as a Bard)/Gale/Halsin/Minsc. Not sure yet about Wyll, first impressions weren't great.

The dragon dudes look so cool it makes it hard for me to use any other race. Can't agree with offing Lae'zel though, she's my girl - I'm tempted to slaughter Shadowheart instead, her snarky voice is winding me up.

The game has finally clicked for me, it's such a playground, so many ways to cause mayhem.

One final restart though - having met most of the potential companions and seeing the others on Tiktok I've realised that my party will turn into a total sausagefest if I stick with a male MC. It's going to Lae'zel/Karlach and my new lady monk smashing the crap out of people, and then some combo of Astarion (as a Bard)/Gale/Halsin/Minsc. Not sure yet about Wyll, first impressions weren't great.
Wyll has some pretty powerful attacks when you level him up a bit. In the opening quest escapign frmo the ship, I managed to help the mindflayer by using healing potions on him, defeat the first demon he was fighting and then looted the demons sword. That sword is prety powerful to start with, up to 15 damage. I equipped Wyll with it, and he's been a very powerful melee fighter for me since.

I did his personal quest too and gained another powerful follower from that, and Wyll, well, changed a bit.

Wyll has some pretty powerful attacks when you level him up a bit. In the opening quest escapign frmo the ship, I managed to help the mindflayer by using healing potions on him, defeat the first demon he was fighting and then looted the demons sword. That sword is prety powerful to start with, up to 15 damage. I equipped Wyll with it, and he's been a very powerful melee fighter for me since.

I did his personal quest too and gained another powerful follower from that, and Wyll, well, changed a bit.
I just got Shadowheart to command him to drop it, then grabbed it and dashed away towards the helm. Gave it to Lae'zel and borrowed her longsword for my ninja monk.

I just got Shadowheart to command him to drop it, then grabbed it and dashed away towards the helm. Gave it to Lae'zel and borrowed her longsword for my ninja monk.
Clever thinking :)

Dragon Tank guy is doing well. With his hand weapon he’s currently dealing some hefty damage out. He’s pants at ranged fighting apart from throwing grease all over so the others can set it alight. :lol:

IMG_9844.png

I didn’t realise I could talk with the animals and the dead along with all the people! This game is going to take me forever to finish.

Tried pretty much all the classes now and settled on a Bard for a proper playthrough. No crossover with any of the main party members and I like the musical additions to my battles.

IMG_3789.jpeg

IMG_3786.jpeg

Finan - he’s just like me, a bit of a mongrel (a bit taller and thinner though, and more hair, and probably better looking - but other than that we’re basically twins).

Last edited:
Im still dragging myself around the first act. I’ve been branded, flagellated and kills countless Drow and Goblins not to mention 3 trolls who suspiciously reminded me of the ones Bilbo fights.

I’ve scumsaved all over the shop and tried two battles which I’ve failed multiple times.

Ohh so much fun to be had.

Im still dragging myself around the first act. I’ve been branded, flagellated and kills countless Drow and Goblins not to mention 3 trolls who suspiciously reminded me of the ones Bilbo fights.

I’ve scumsaved all over the shop and tried two battles which I’ve failed multiple times.

Ohh so much fun to be had.
They work for me now, I liked them too much to kill or leave with the goblins.

Either my character is incredibly chaotic or my companions just keep changing their minds, constantly getting both approval & disapproval from the same ones. I'm trying to avoid using guides, just going with my instincts and the rolls of the dice - probably missing out on some good loot (I think one of the trolls has something). I still haven't decided whether to help the goblins or druids. Not playing evil but the druid boss lady needs to die.

Still very early on but this is definitely GOTY for me, honestly it's up there with BOTW and RDR as the best games I've ever played.

They work for me now, I liked them too much to kill or leave with the goblins.

Either my character is incredibly chaotic or my companions just keep changing their minds, constantly getting both approval & disapproval from the same ones. I'm trying to avoid using guides, just going with my instincts and the rolls of the dice - probably missing out on some good loot (I think one of the trolls has something). I still haven't decided whether to help the goblins or druids. Not playing evil but the druid boss lady needs to die.

Still very early on but this is definitely GOTY for me, honestly it's up there with BOTW and RDR as the best games I've ever played.
I helped out the Druids and in turn helped the Teiflings too.

Like you I’m avoiding guides and YT vids etc.

So much fun. I managed to get the Gnoll to rip her own throat out 😂

This stupid game is taking over all my playtime, I haven’t touched any other games, I haven’t done any GTWS practice and it starts on Saturday!

First impressions were wrong for Wyll, he’s good to have around in and out of combat. As he and my half-drow were both rapier builds (and it was still quite early) I recreated my character as a dual-sword Half-Orc guitarist.

IMG_3805.jpeg

IMG_3807.jpeg

Making progress this run. I’ve met & recruited the whole gang plus the big guys, ventured into the Underdark, saved a gnome. Not doing much fighting though as my Bard can talk his way out of anything.

I think Shadowheart likes my big guy but he has fallen for Lae’zel, problem is he’s just not evil and direct enough for her. She moans whatever he does. Women!

I thought this was a game based around fighting and magic. Turns out it’s just a dating simulator.

IMG_3817.jpeg

My boy finally got some.

So much fun now I’m past level 6 and everyone has lots more spells/attacks/equipment. Playing a bit too good though on this run, I may have to do a simultaneous evil playthrough to fulfil some urges.

Only Level 4 and still have a few more places to hit before going to the Underdark or Mountain Pass.

Opted for heavy armour perk for my Barbarian as he normally can only have medium, will help with my tank build.

I’ve finally managed to get one of the better swords in Act 1 too. Got the Gith leader who rides the dragon to drop his sword before he legs it.

Opted for heavy armour perk for my Barbarian as he normally can only have medium, will help with my tank build.
I thought Barbs couldn’t use their Rage in heavy armor? Sure I read that as I was looking at options for Karlach.

I thought Barbs couldn’t use their Rage in heavy armor? Sure I read that as I was looking at options for Karlach.
Probably, but I’ve found Rage to be not as useful as I thought.

I’ll get me some heavy armour and see how I like it. I can always swap it out for medium again if it doesn’t work out.

There's some devs who don't bother fixing bugs, and then there's Larian:

Just nuts. GOTY getting even GOTY-ier.

Decided to start this game as well as returning to Cyberpunk and still working through Starfield. This year has been great for gaming.

Its still early on but I’m enjoying it quite a bit. It’s not as hard to get into and figure out as I thought it would be and plays well enough with a controller.

This being my first Baldur's Gate / D&D / CRPG I've been doing my playthroughs on Explorer mode as I learn all the systems. After 30 or so hours I decided I was ready to do it properly and restarted in Balanced. Now getting my ass kicked. Barely survived an encounter with a bunch of harpies - Gale died the first time (and then somehow his corpse poisoned the rest of the crew as we did his revival puzzle), the next time we didn't manage to save a little kid. I'm far from a decent tactician so this is going to be a struggle.

Still having immense fun, and now I can multiclass the companions. My Tav is staying pure monk, it's the class I'm most enjoying having tried them all now. Stabbing everyone with an electric trident, some bonus kicks & punches, loads of movement.

Larian have done a great job converting the interface and controls to PC. Plays great with the controller, don't feel I'm missing out not having K&M.

At the moment it's a GoTY tie between this and the rebooted Cyberpunk (I sold my Switch a while back so haven't played the new Zelda).

This being my first Baldur's Gate / D&D / CRPG I've been doing my playthroughs on Explorer mode as I learn all the systems. After 30 or so hours I decided I was ready to do it properly and restarted in Balanced. Now getting my ass kicked. Barely survived an encounter with a bunch of harpies - Gale died the first time (and then somehow his corpse poisoned the rest of the crew as we did his revival puzzle), the next time we didn't manage to save a little kid. I'm far from a decent tactician so this is going to be a struggle.

Still having immense fun, and now I can multiclass the companions. My Tav is staying pure monk, it's the class I'm most enjoying having tried them all now. Stabbing everyone with an electric trident, some bonus kicks & punches, loads of movement.

Larian have done a great job converting the interface and controls to PC. Plays great with the controller, don't feel I'm missing out not having K&M.

At the moment it's a GoTY tie between this and the rebooted Cyberpunk (I sold my Switch a while back so haven't played the new Zelda).
I also had some difficulty with combat at first, but it’s manageable now. I have two frontliners (Lae’zel and Karlach) that are now level 5, which unlocks the ability for them to attack twice per turn. They both have AC 18, which means they take little damage, and can dish out tons of damage, especially with Karlach you can active her Rage mode, so she does even more damage. It can be a bit difficult if the enemies are ranged, but my character is a sorcerer, so he can usually deal with those enemies himself from a distance. Then there’s Shadowheart for healing everyone up if needed. I also make sure to long rest after every major battle to restore the spell points (there seems to be plenty of camp supplies around).

Don’t usually double dip or get collectors editions, but this looks great and I love the game so much.

Been playing this for the past two weeks, one of the best games I've ever played. It's my first turn-based RPG as well.

I've found the Barbarian Berserker to be stupidly powerful with the tavern brawler feat and the returning pike. 🤣 You get three throwing attacks per turn, can knock enemies prone, or throw enemies at other enemies. :lol: Excellent for gaining an edge at the start of battle.

Currently infiltrating Moonrise Towers after convincing Ketheric's family members to kill themselves. A well-spoken word or a well-placed dagger, both can achieve equal purposes. :D Act II has been crazy. :lol:

Been playing this for the past two weeks, one of the best games I've ever played. It's my first turn-based RPG as well.

I've found the Barbarian Berserker to be stupidly powerful with the tavern brawler feat and the returning pike. 🤣 You get three throwing attacks per turn, can knock enemies prone, or throw enemies at other enemies. :lol: Excellent for gaining an edge at the start of battle.

Currently infiltrating Moonrise Towers after convincing Ketheric's family members to kill themselves. A well-spoken word or a well-placed dagger, both can achieve equal purposes. :D Act II has been crazy. :lol:
You starting with a top quality tbs rpg at least, helps get into it i guess.
It's on my wishlist for sure.
Just so many games..

Being an avid DnD player, I'm curious about this game. Should I know about the lore of the previous ones?

Being an avid DnD player, I'm curious about this game. Should I know about the lore of the previous ones?
I'm completely new to DnD and BG, didn't find it to be necessary. Most of the characters are new. There are lore books to read and some older characters you can encounter from the previous games to fill in the gaps. I'm playing as The Dark Urge, who has amnesia, which helps with the immersion. :lol:

Last edited:
Chonky patch incoming

I'm putting the game on hold until the Xmas break. Have restarted about a dozen times trying to find a character I like and understand. Enough trouble trying to figure out attacks/spell slots/equipment/etc for just one character, let alone the entire party of companions. May have underestimated the complexity for a Dnd newb.

Larian studio seems a top class cool dev.
Glad to hear about optimization, i read some say it can have some issues in performance mode on ps5.
I love smooth running games.
Super patch lots of free additions, improvements listed in the notes.

Last edited:
Patch 5 introduces a huge quality of life update in the form of improved inventory access. Now while in camp, you will be able to manage the inventory of companions who are not in your active party without having to recruit them first - all from one single UI.
A much welcome change.

Has anyone tried the multiplayer (on the same console..) aspect of this game? Wife loved Diablo III and we've played through a couple of times. Would this one be a good one to try. Haven't played a BG game since the PS2, Dark Alliance games, but enjoyed them quite a lot. Is this one like Champions of Norrath (EverQuest games) games on the PS2??

I can only imagine this one will be much more in-depth, but wondered if anyone has done MP on it... TIA! 👍

Latest Posts

Back