Barclays Premier League 2008-2009 Thread

• Thread starter Dave A
  • 180 comments
Ronaldo wasn't doing the team any favours yesterday, he was being a problem. The most defensible case yesterday was Scholes which I can uderstand was most probably just a reaction as the ball was heading in the direction of his face. But even then you can only sympathise as it is still by the rules a sending off. I can't understand Fergies tactics yesterday. He played Berbatov and Ronaldo up front, two players who don't track back, he played Giggs and Scholes in midfield, two players who don't have the legs to get up and down the pitch for a full game. He left Carrick on the bench, Rooney and Tevez on the bench (two players who both track back and together played a big part in hammering Fullham in the cup). We don't have another game coming up soon, it's the international break. Why didn't Fergie just pick the strongest 11 he could have. Makes no sense.

Liverpool - Villa is about to kick off, god I hope we can finally take advantage of Utd's shortfalls.

You did, you still need us to lose 4 more points without losing any yourself so the title is still in our favour but credit to Liverpool I haven't seen them play as well as they have over the last 3 games for as long as I can remember. Great football, shame it's Liverpool, but great football.

Yeah, the title is still United to throw away. I'd much rather be in their position than Liverpools, but you've got to admit that Fergie might be a tad nervous especially after Liverpool banging in 13 goals in threes games, two of which were against themselves and the (so called... pfft) greatest club in the world Real Madrid. Did you see the spell of one-touch passing 'Pool had in the 2nd half. I could almost see Johnny Barnes in there somewhere!

So many penalties this weekend! Five in the ManU, 'Pool and Arse games. So glad Liverpool thumped Villa, (hopefully) their confidence must be at rock-bottom, now they'll be looking below them at Everton who I can't believe couldn't get a result away against much more lowly opposition (in Chelsea fashion). Villa have two tough games against good opposition then a bunch of matches against relegation fodder which could also be tough. It's a shame there's an irritatiingly long international break at such an exciting point in the season.

What do you mean cruel? Do you think it's an April Fool, because it's not just the BBC that's saying it. I saw it this morning on Sky Sports News, I think it might be real although I don't understand it.

:D

I don't think it is an actual April Fool, but considering the shock nature of the news, NUFC couldn't have picked a better/worse* (delete as appropriate) day to make the announcement...

I'm beginning to wonder if United are trying to give me a heart attack. The 3 points count but we left it late to actually start playing well. A very important win for us that one and hopefully it will get us back into wining ways. Nice to see Marcheda score on his debut, great goal. We probably won't see him in he first team again until next seasons carling cup but nice to see a young lad come on in such an important game and score the winner.

How many players have scored 4 goals against Liverpool at Anfield, and still walked away with only a point to show for it? Quite extraordinary - Man U will be very happy with that result though...

Holy christ, they're certainly taking us through the wringer :eek:

Shame we drew though, but I'm thankful we could rescue a point.

How many players have scored 4 goals against Liverpool at Anfield, and still walked away with only a point to show for it? Quite extraordinary - Man U will be very happy with that result though...
Oh what, I've never cheered that much for Arsenal to score. Arshavin was brilliant and overall the game was very entertaining, but the defending on both sides was shoddy. I only hope Arsenal defend like that when we play them, all 3 times. I can't imagine that as a player you would think that you could score 4 goals yourself and your team will still not win.

As much as it pains me you have to credit Liverpool, whoever they're against lately they are scoring a lot of goals.

Personally, my money is now stuck on Man U now. You can see the margin between them and Liverpool. West Ham are playing the Merseyside team in the late game today though, so that only helps.

WBA v Liverpool was an interesting game - with the title already decided, Liverpool could have been accused of not giving 100%, but Jamie Carragher utterly destroyed that theory... the MOTD pundits rightly applauded Carragher's level of commitment, and despite being up against a team that was about to be relegated from the Premiership, this must count as one of Liverpool's hardest won clean sheets. WBA were very unfortunate not to score, gain a draw or even sneak an unlikely win, and their display proved the point that even the lowest of the low in the Premiership are still pretty damn good when they want to be.

Anyway, Man U are deserving winners of the title, but Liverpool have kept them more than honest. Just a shame that Rafa Benitez and Fergie are still at each other's throats, and Rafa's deliberate refusal to congratulate Ferguson on his third consecutive Premiership title is frankly shoddy... still, I doubt that Ferguson will give a rat's ass about Rafa's childish attitude somehow!

It wasn't an easy season that's for sure. We haven't played amazingly well this season imo, I think Liverpool have ended the season very well, their run of high scoring wins was very impressive. I'm expecting Chelsea to be stronger next year, imo Manchester City won't be threatening for a top 4 spot yet. Considering they failed to qualify for Europe I can't see them getting the big names they will want to sign. Arsenal, I don't really know what to expect from Arsenal. They could have another bad season or they could have a fantastic run and be challengers, I really don't know what to expect from them.

Sadly I think Tevez will be going, I know Gill has recently said we do want him but the issue is his price and I don't think MSI will be willing to negotiate too much. I like Tevez, I'd love him to stay but I don't think he's worth as much MSI want us to pay for him.

Hide your ears/eyes now Dave A :scared:

Man Utd have just accepted an offer for Ronaldo - £80m from Real Madrid will smash the world record set earlier in the week by the same club, who just bought Kaka from Milan for £59m... Real Madrid are going to be kicking some serious butt next season :nervous:

Link...

Man Utd have just accepted an offer for Ronaldo - £80m from Real Madrid will smash the world record set earlier in the week by the same club, who just bought Kaka from Milan for £59m... Real Madrid are going to be kicking some serious butt next season :nervous:

Link...

I am a Manchester United fan and I am not too bothered by this, he wants to go, therefore there is no point in trying to hang onto him and £80m could really help the club, I say spend it on David Villa and David Silva. :drool: I wouldn't worry about Real Madrid too much either, they always find ways to mess things up and this doesn't fix their main problem, the underperforming defence.

I guess - it's hardly a shock, but Man U will miss his talents. But even in the Premiership, £80m will go a very long way...

Also, Man City will be smarting somewhat after that Kaka move... and Man U could really rub salt into the wound by targetting David Villa... just as Kaka has moved to Madrid for half the money Man City offered, I'm sure most top players would consider Man U alot faster than a move to Man City.

Real Madrid think that yet again they can win things with a Galacticos team. I can't see it being any different to before, but Man Utd will be very happy lining their pockets with Madrid cash again ;)

Link...
I kind of expected it, I'd have rathered Ronaldo wanted to stay and knuckled down a bit but everything about him from the start of last season has suggest he was going to go this summer.

£80m is a good fee, it's shame we're losing a great player but I don't think it will be overly damaging to us. We just need to change the focus of our attacks (though you could argue that Fergie was already taking that away from Ronaldo last season) and a couple of new signings (probably need a winger and forward) and I think we'll be fine.

We can't buy David Villa though, he's going to Madrid as well, Valencia confirmed negotiations are advanced earlier today.

The one thing that does puzzle me is where are Madrid getting this money, they don't make enough to spend like this and I doubt it's Perez' personal money, so who's is it?

Last edited:
Ronaldo hasn't had the same enthusiasm since last season. Everything he did seemed to suggest he was going to move onto "bigger and better" things.

Overall, Man U can't really complain. His has played well in his time at Utd. I think Utd only paid around the £12 Million mark so it's a very good return. With the £80 million Utd can now buy another two/three players which will strengthen the squad. I'm sure Ferguson has his eye on a few bargains.

Wow. That's Tiger Woods money right there.

Not quite - Ronaldo "is expected to earn £9.5 million in the first year, rising 25 per cent a year to £29 million — a weekly wage of £557,000." Woodsy made a cool £60 million in 2007, although both will probably rake in more from sponsorships and endorsements over and above these wages/winnings.

I read a funny quote on Sky sports news just now by Nani, he said ""Ronaldo was a very important player for us but now my opportunity has come,....The time has come (for Manchester United) to put their trust in me."
I nearly choked on my drink, he's been abysmal for us. I'm sure he'll be given next season to start to show signs of something, but next season will likely be his last chance and you don't end up on your last chance for looking like a great prospect.

Just to add, speaking of Sky sports news, how much of a hypocrite is Sepp Blatter.
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11667_5376909,00.html
I do believe he was screaming how terrible City were for putting a big bid in for Kaka back in January. What is he doing as president of Fifa, he's clearly biased towards different leagues. I don't mind Platini who is head of UEFA that much, I think he can sometimes be missunderstood in translation, but these people are supposed to be neutral and Blatter is not neutral.

Last edited:
Not quite - Ronaldo "is expected to earn £9.5 million in the first year, rising 25 per cent a year to £29 million — a weekly wage of £557,000." Woodsy made a cool £60 million in 2007, although both will probably rake in more from sponsorships and endorsements over and above these wages/winnings.

Wait, so is 89 mil the transfer fee or the entire salary and everything combined?

Also, Real is freaking insane... They have Villa now too? Jeez. I would like them more if they got rid of Pepe.

Back